sdc100

quality posts: 508 Private Messages sdc100
camaroboy101 wrote:2279

SOLD OUT!

Hah, blame me...

Like most others, my first choices were 2279 and 2280 (the original Star Wars, the only episode I've actually watched). When they sold out, I went for 2302, 2362 and 2380. And now they're gone too. Ah, great minds think alike! Or is the saying, "suckas think alike"?

pe5t1lence

quality posts: 7 Private Messages pe5t1lence

So any idea which release these are from? I would assume these are from the 1990's releases of IV and VI...so someone is going to get Greedo shooting first!

knavex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knavex

The best would be getting the four frames showing Han shooting first

update: pestilence beat me. Stupid forgetting password

sdc100

andy77 wrote:I thought that a cell (usually spelled cel) meant an actual piece of art work (on celluloid originally) that was then photographed and used as a frame in a movie. Cels are bigger than movie frames as they are drawn by artists and then reduced for the film. These being offered are movie frames, not cels as originally meant.

Usually, Woot descriptions are accurate and quite amusing.

Those are indeed "cels" (one "L"). But film frames are also known as "cells" (two "L"s), and that's what being offered here, not cels. So Woot is correct.

Here' a little guide:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/More-Dizzy-Deals/FILM-CELL-TUTORIAL.html_

dasnoffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasnoffer

I'm in for 1 ... been a while since I wooted.

wlgiv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wlgiv
md1088 wrote:They used to sell those in the Disney store in the mall near my house! Usually for around $400, and that wasn't even for a rare one. But cells and film reel are much much different.

The Disney Store (and Galleries) never sold original film cells from the production of thier animated classics. Many of the real cels from the films were sold in Disneyland in the 1950s and 60s or even given out to folks waiting in lines. The krapola that was sold in the Disney Stores all had the stamped "certificate of authenticity" on the acetate itself and were produced specifically to sell in the stores. They were never from an actual production and have actually gone down in value from thier original issue price.

sdc100

splintaxx wrote:I'm a projectionist, the film should be fine at room temperature. Light wont be a problem considering it spends its life being illuminated by a high intensity bulb. The only thing that I can think off is the humidity... you might want to have a humidifier in the room you display them in. That is probably why you Disney film cracked. Hope that helps

While it's true that the film is made to withstand high intensity light, I'd avoid exposing them to too much unfiltered sunlight. UV rays deteriorate plastics and fade colors. It's best to put them on a wall without direct sunlight.

meshachw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages meshachw

I would rather have limited editions of these!:

damncoolpics.blogspot.com/2009/08/rare-star-wars-photos.html

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Ancient Chinese Proverb

"We are all born naked and screaming and if you're lucky that sort of thing won't stop there." -unknown

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver
darunkle wrote:Yes, they're from the original print.

once again.... no these are not from the original print.

When they shot the movie (originals), it was shot on 35mm film. It was then taken and transferred to and editing copy. This is then edited and used to produce a series of master prints (usually 1-5). The effective resolution on these masters is somewhere in the realm of 4K-10K (bluray is 2K). copies of these are made and sent to movie houses and in the process, their effective resolution is in the neighborhood of 1K (720-780p). This is what you see and have seen in the theaters. This is what you are buying. The masters are locked in steel cases and sent to vaults. Often only 1 master survives for one reason or another. this is where we get blurays and DVDs from.

When they turn Star Wars into bluray, they will go back and clean the original master and carefully running through a 4K scanner. they will then use this to create a bluray. they did this when they made the DVD versions which is how lucas was able to alter the movie by sticking digitally edited young anakin in the end scene.

sdc100

pumbaa57 wrote:Wow. You appear to be in dire need of some new goals in your life. Or a girlfriend.

Sorry about this post, but I HAD to respond...

Have a girlfriend, thank you. She's a doctor. And hot.

Have a good career, thank you. I'm a doctor/medical physicist/research analyst.

Have good money, thank you. Am semi-retired so I have time to write quality posts on Woot.

Have many goals, thank you. Am currently trying to set up a health care foundation for inner city kids. Am also working on several inventions.

Do you have any more useless advice? Thank you.

angichoate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angichoate

I would like to get one for my husband, he is a big star wars buff, but mostly just on the character of Darth Vader. How would i know if i am getting a Darth Vader film cell??

almokc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages almokc
compg318 wrote:You can determine which part number is what by looking at the bottom of the Product Description and matching the title, picture, and product number together. All neatly located.

***If I accidently bought one is there a way to cancel my order????***

bigfoodandwineguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigfoodandwineguy

This just so SAD. I had believed that George Lucas and his cronies could NOT possibly prostitute themselves any further, but I guess I was wrong. How much money do these greedy bastards need? Pathetic!

yeawuteva

quality posts: 115 Private Messages yeawuteva

star wars? what about STOP WARS!!!

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

Even those these are the prints shown in theaters, no the masters, they are still cool and part of history. Who knows, maybe it is even from the reel that you watched yourself.

And it would go really well in a movie room. Alas, It would have been better to sell these in a set. I won't buy if I don't know which one I am getting. If they offered all 6, one from each, for um..... $80, I would be more likely to buy.

sdc100

almokc wrote:***If I accidently bought one is there a way to cancel my order????***

If? Accidentally??? Are you planning to grab one in case it runs out but want the option of changing your mind if you find it cheaper???

If you ever need to cancel an order, write Woot nicely and explain your situation. They may or may not offer a cancellation. But don't expect an immediate response. Replies usually come the next day.

almokc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages almokc
sdc100 wrote:If? Accidentally??? Are you planning to grab one in case it runs out but want the option of changing your mind if you find it cheaper???

If you ever need to cancel an order, write Woot nicely and explain your situation. They may or may not offer a cancellation. But don't expect an immediate response. Replies usually come the next day.

Thanks!

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
almokc wrote:***If I accidently bought one is there a way to cancel my order????***

You can attempt to cancel your order by emailing service@woot.com with your order number. Ask nicely and they may just be able to help.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

SWANIACHI

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SWANIACHI
sdc100 wrote:Have a girlfriend, thank you. She's a doctor. And hot.

Have a good career, thank you. I'm a doctor/medical physicist/research analyst.

Have good money, thank you. Am semi-retired so I have time to write quality posts on Woot.

Have many goals, thank you. Am currently trying to set up a health care foundation for inner city kids. Am also working on several inventions.

Do you have any more useless advice? Thank you.

Lazy sentence structure and bitchy overtones may keep that post from being lucky number 30. Better luck next time!

sdc100

angichoate wrote:I would like to get one for my husband, he is a big star wars buff, but mostly just on the character of Darth Vader. How would i know if i am getting a Darth Vader film cell??

You wouldn't. Woot randomly selects the cells for shipping. Your best bet is to go you a memorabilia shop or a collectors/Star Wars convention so that you can see what you're buying. An alternative is Ebay, but make sure you ask before you buy. Even then, it's based on trust until you get the item. Craig's List is another possibility. Depending on your arrangement, you might also be able to see the item before you pay.

sdc100

SWANIACHI wrote:Lazy sentence structure and bitchy overtones may keep that post from being lucky number 30. Better luck next time!

Er look again, Einstein ... I got #30 this morning. No need for luck; just a little bit of research and the willingness to be helpful, and you too can have a "quality post."

sdc100

almokc wrote:Thanks!

No problem. I don't know if Woot appreciates me pointing this out, but of the 3 cancellation requests I submitted, all 3 were granted. So I'm a very satisfied customer.

queticoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages queticoman

I would have to agree. When II came out, I saw it in digital projection at one of about 4 theaters in the Chicago area showing it that way. All the rest were using 35mm

Sorry this was suppose to be a reply to a post saying that film never existed for II and III since it was recorded 100% digitally. Doesn't make much since on its own.

SWANIACHI

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SWANIACHI
sdc100 wrote:Er look again, Einstein ... I got #30 this morning. No need for luck; just a little bit of research and the willingness to be helpful, and you too can have a "quality post."

Kudos!

queticoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages queticoman
shimey013 wrote:Dude, check this out, the movie theaters still used the 35mm to play these, just cause they were shot digitally doesnt mean the movie theaters didnt use 35mm to play these..that is what you are getting.

I will confirm this. When II camd out I went to see it at one of about 4 theaters in the chicago area showing it in digital projection. The rest were still 35 mm

camaroboy101

quality posts: 6 Private Messages camaroboy101
sdc100 wrote:You wouldn't. Woot randomly selects the cells for shipping. Your best bet is to go you a memorabilia shop or a collectors/Star Wars convention so that you can see what you're buying. An alternative is Ebay, but make sure you ask before you buy. Even then, it's based on trust until you get the item. Craig's List is another possibility. Depending on your arrangement, you might also be able to see the item before you pay.

Not True

At the bottom of the description page Woot has pictures of each of the frames with model numbers. When you go to place an order, woot will ask you to pick the model you want from a drop down list. Its not random!

Mountain Dew, the drink for successful programming.

Long Live Woot.

sevensixtytwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sevensixtytwo
Un0fficial wrote:Who is the certificate of authenticity signed by?

I'm guessing it certifies that that is an authentic piece of film from the original made films?

The picture, is it just a picture?

vic underwood, managing director.

i can't keep talking my hands are in my pockets, i'll see you later

neddielutz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages neddielutz
ldsmom7566 wrote:

Regardless, using your base formula, lets assume there are no 'wasted' frames, and take the potential number of total products (32,400) and multiply them by the total cost of (approximately)$25.00 ($20/per + $5/shipping). It would then come out to $810,000 in potential sales for every complete roll of 90 minute film. (By the way, I KNOW the cost per item is really $19.99, but to keep the math simple for anyone trying to 'check my math' in their head, I rounded it up a penny to the $20 that I used in THIS EXAMPLE...remember, it's just an example I was trying use for anyone else who might be 'concerned' with just how many, or how much $$'s 1 roll of film could possibly produce.)

You are adding $5 shipping to each frame sold. If someone buys three it would be $65 not $75.

thatguy73

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatguy73

Seems a lot less than ebay

The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want now.

sdc100

camaroboy101 wrote:Not True

At the bottom of the description page Woot has pictures of each of the frames with model numbers. When you go to place an order, woot will ask you to pick the model you want from a drop down list. Its not random!

Yes, but you cannot choose the scenes depicted in the cells. What's shown in the photos is NOT what you'd get. Yes, you'll get the same frame, mini-poster, plaque, etc -- but the film cells/clips will very very very likely be different (unless you get the one used in the photo).

It is random in the sense that you can't choose the scenes, only the movie. The original writer was wondering how s/he can only get scenes of Darth Vader for his/her husband. And my reply was that you can't because the scenes you get are randomly chosen.

bridog6996

quality posts: 25 Private Messages bridog6996
auctionsaver wrote:
AND YOU ARE NOT BUYING THE ORIGINAL FILM WITH THESE. You are buying the copies that were sent to the movie theaters. They would never sell the masters as they are worth millions. doh.

Ah, but you're wrong, partially. You can buy film cells of the 70mm production masters, which were used to create all the 35mm copies sent to theaters. Those, at least, are much more limited, as there's probably only a few (instead of thousands) in existence for each movie.

bridog6996

sdc100 wrote:Er look again, Einstein ... I got #30 this morning. No need for luck; just a little bit of research and the willingness to be helpful, and you too can have a "quality post."

You're clearly better than us all.

bscheele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bscheele

If Ep. 1-3 were recorded digitally, then why is there film?

bridog6996

stonefry wrote:How to you have so many quality posts if you can't even read the description before you reply? They are originals.

Because you misunderstood my question. By originals, I meant the production masters, not the copies sent to theaters. "Originals" is a subjective word when it comes to film.

SNDZag1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SNDZag1

Would there be a chance of getting the exact frames when HAN SHOT FIRST?

camaroboy101

quality posts: 6 Private Messages camaroboy101
bscheele wrote:If Ep. 1-3 were recorded digitally, then why is there film?

Read what sdc100 wrote

[quote="sdc100"]Being shot (and edited) digitally doesn't mean that it was distributed digitally. These cells come from the film reels used by theaters to project the film on to their screens. Digital projection is still too crude and expensive for general use so film is still the preferred distribution medium. The resolution of digital movies is simply too low to project onto a huge screen without appearing grainy.[/quote]

Mountain Dew, the drink for successful programming.

Long Live Woot.

claudicina

quality posts: 34 Private Messages claudicina
SNDZag1 wrote:Would there be a chance of getting the exact frames when HAN SHOT FIRST?

One in a million, nay, billion, possibly even more.

sdc100

bscheele wrote:If Ep. 1-3 were recorded digitally, then why is there film?

My last reply to this question for the day... I promise.

Whether a movie is shot and edited digitally or not, most theaters still use film reels to project the movie. That's because digital projection is still too expensive and the resolution is too low for very large screens (aka the picture will be very grainy). This was especially true at the time when those movies were released.

After editing, digitally recorded movies were then transferred back onto film and then distributed to theaters. It is those films that are supplying these film cells.

Even today, many smaller theaters still use film because they can't afford the latest technology. Going totally digital is inevitable, however, and that's why these film cells are great collector items. Even if you don't care about Star Wars, the fact that film will be non-existent in the near future means that this is a piece of Hollywood and technological history.

Movie film and its projection as we know it hasn't changed much (in principle) since movies were invented in the late 1800's. Digitalization is quantum leap forward, and film will soon be a relic (just like still camera film). So if you want film from one of the biggest movie franchises ever (with James Bond and Harry Potter being the major rivals), grab a few of these.

juicius

quality posts: 42 Private Messages juicius
fourhandshigh wrote:Right next to your framed poster of Asia . . .

While editing the actual paper and envelope Alf fanclub newsletter.

CDUAbove

quality posts: 6 Private Messages CDUAbove

In for three.
I'm currently creating a theater room in the home and these would be perfect for a wall.
I'll go with the double cells for the later movies and the single ones for the first three then alternate them on the wall.

Why am I telling you this...I have no idea. Just happy to be in for three.
Big fan...always will be.