ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

KtCallista wrote:My current house has exactly 2 closets, one in the master bedroom and one in the main hallway (between the bathroom and the front door). Between normal life clutter and kids stuff we have quite the assortment of shelving happening here. We are running out of shelves for board games and puzzles. Ver2 is using an "over the toilet" rack for her clothes, with an added pressure bar for her dresses (but it fit the space we had - her laundry hamper is under it, and it's next to the diaper table - bonus!).

and to think we really are trying to cut down the clutter in our lives. . . .

Have you looked at buying/building platform beds for the girls with drawers below?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
DA59 wrote:Have you looked at buying/building platform beds for the girls with drawers below?

That saved us with our smallest bedroom. Back then they called them captain's beds. Six drawers underneath and a roll top desk attached to the end. Worked great.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

pooflady

DA59 wrote:Three with a study/office or a formal living/dining that I can use as an office. Prefer 1 story but will consider 2 story if Master is down. Split bedroom is a must.

What's a split bedroom?

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
DA59 wrote:Have you looked at buying/building platform beds for the girls with drawers below?

yes and no. I was looking at bunk beds with trundles, found a really really nice one with drawers in the stairs. Unfortunately, the website (which had very reasonable shipping) didn't say how long the fully assembled bed is and the room's max length is 10 feet. I'm honestly hoping we can move to a slightly bigger place soon. It's so small in the winter when the kids want to run around, and we don't have a safe yard to play in.

One room does have a loft (it's knocked through the wall of the two bedrooms), but it is designed for a teen (no stairs no rail). Right now we are using it for tote storage. I had other plans, but not enough time, tools, or money to work on them.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:That saved us with our smallest bedroom. Back then they called them captain's beds. Six drawers underneath and a roll top desk attached to the end. Worked great.

Son had a mid-height deck bed. Not quite as high as a bunk bed. A dresser fit under it and then there was play room underneath as well. We had a slide built for him to get down because I didn't want to worry about him hurrying to get down a ladder and falling. Worked great.

Oh, they're called cabin beds now.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:That saved us with our smallest bedroom. Back then they called them captain's beds. Six drawers underneath and a roll top desk attached to the end. Worked great.

There were a bunch on Craigslist a couple years ago, nothing recently. The only reason Ver1 doesn't have one is because my sister gave her the bed she had used in college and it was on a standard frame. It barely fits in the room.

I know I couldn't fit two of them in the same room. . . . .

ThunderThighs

Staff

KtCallista wrote:There were a bunch on Craigslist a couple years ago, nothing recently. The only reason Ver1 doesn't have one is because my sister gave her the bed she had used in college and it was on a standard frame. It barely fits in the room.

I know I couldn't fit two of them in the same room. . . . .

get Orc to build a couple drawers on wheels for underneath it. That's what my bro did for his daughter & son with their traditional beds.

FORUM MODERATOR

ThunderThighs

Staff

Son's bed was kinda like this except there was a dresser underneath where the ladder is. The ladder was on the end. The slide was at the foot of the bed instead of the head.

Oh, and no play curtain although I could have purchased one.

FORUM MODERATOR

pooflady

Still waiting to find out what a split bedroom is.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Still waiting to find out what a split bedroom is.

Sorry. Didn't see your question.

Split bedroom means the master is separated from the other bedrooms.

FORUM MODERATOR

KtCallista

DA59 wrote:get Orc to build a couple drawers on wheels for underneath it. That's what my bro did for his daughter & son with their traditional beds.

If I had time I'd do it at my Dad's shop, but won't have time before the wedding and don't know if we are going to make the trip for the holidays this year. Don't really have cash for wood and I don't have the tools here to do the job, I refuse to rip boards with a hand saw (especially mine, it blows goats)

If I had the funds for the wood I could build the bunk beds (or maybe contract my Dad to do it again, seeing as he has the tools and is unemployed).

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer

Ok, so looking for opinions:

If you were looking for a new car and you had the choice of a hybrid (suv) vs a regular gas car, which would you choose?

ThunderThighs

Staff

KtCallista wrote:If I had time I'd do it at my Dad's shop, but won't have time before the wedding and don't know if we are going to make the trip for the holidays this year. Don't really have cash for wood and I don't have the tools here to do the job, I refuse to rip boards with a hand saw (especially mine, it blows goats)

If I had the funds for the wood I could build the bunk beds (or maybe contract my Dad to do it again, seeing as he has the tools and is unemployed).

Wonder if you could find a cheap dresser at a garage sale or craigslist and then take the drawers out and put wheels on them. Quick fix.

FORUM MODERATOR

ThunderThighs

Staff

cruzer wrote:Ok, so looking for opinions:

If you were looking for a new car and you had the choice of a hybrid (suv) vs a regular gas car, which would you choose?

Hybrid if it wasn't a first-year model and had good reviews.

FORUM MODERATOR

KtCallista

Hybrid with good reviews in a heartbeat!

ThunderThighs

Staff

Gnite folks.

4 more days of these stupid long hours and then back to normal.

FORUM MODERATOR

pooflady

DA59 wrote:Gnite folks.

4 more days of these stupid long hours and then back to normal.

Night, Daj.

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

Night Poof & Daj

I'd choose the hybrid SUV - but I'm an SUV person anyway.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:Night all. Tomorrow.

Goodnight Poof

Goodnight DA

I think I'll watch one more Torchwood and head to bed myself. At this rate I'll be out of episodes by the end of the week anyway.

kdccrosby

I'm going to bed too. Night everyone.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback

Good mornin all

Cruzer- Hybrid suv
especially if it was going to be traded in after 4-6 years.

In the end only kindness matters

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Morning ice and joyner. Today's gonna be a good day. I'm home with the kids, and we're cleaning the house! By that I mean I'm making them pick up their toys. I may simplify matters by bringing in the snow shovel in the garage

ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning all.

Last week of these stupid hours. Thank goodness!

FORUM MODERATOR

kdccrosby

Morning all.

I jinxed myself by saying I rarely get migraines anymore, cause I have one starting.

going back to bed...

ThunderThighs

Staff

kdccrosby wrote:Morning all.

I jinxed myself by saying I rarely get migraines anymore, cause I have one starting.

going back to bed...

Take care.

FORUM MODERATOR

SkekTek

Favorite hide and seek in the house trick- put pillows on bed and cover with blankets. Kids think you're hiding under them and are startled when they find the pillows.

Best when you're hiding nearby so you can watch their faces

Well, they found me, gotta go! :D

MsChanandlerBong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MsChanandlerBong

Hybrid SUVs get hardly any better mileage than their gasoline counterparts, particularly if you are a gentle driver to begin with.

SUVs in general don't really have that much more space inside, unless you get one of those large Suburban extended trucks, and then you have trouble parking.

Truly, if minivans did not have the "soccer mom" stigma, many people would recognize their clear superiority at moving people and stuff.

I would still choose the gas-powered vehicle. I am curious to see what happens when the first-generation battery packs wear out. If it's smooth with little fanfare, I will consider an hybrid in the future, but currently, a gasoline engine would be my primary choice.

ANd also gentle driving-- look ahead of you and ease up on the speed if you see traffic slowed or stopped ahead of you. I know a few people who beat the new guvment estimates just by looking ahead and not peeling out and accelerating hard.

Monica and Rachel steal my TV Guide every week!!

pooflady

Good morning all. Hot, hot, hot here.

SkekTek

I agree with Miss Chanandler. The two major negatives we had with hybrids are battery replacement cost and repair issues with having two different systems under the hood. Sure I'd love to have a Prius, but it costs up to $4k for a new battery. No thanks.

But it's what you can afford, and what you want with it that are the major factors.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

MsChanandlerBong wrote:Hybrid SUVs get hardly any better mileage than their gasoline counterparts, particularly if you are a gentle driver to begin with.

SUVs in general don't really have that much more space inside, unless you get one of those large Suburban extended trucks, and then you have trouble parking.

Truly, if minivans did not have the "soccer mom" stigma, many people would recognize their clear superiority at moving people and stuff.

I would still choose the gas-powered vehicle. I am curious to see what happens when the first-generation battery packs wear out. If it's smooth with little fanfare, I will consider an hybrid in the future, but currently, a gasoline engine would be my primary choice.

ANd also gentle driving-- look ahead of you and ease up on the speed if you see traffic slowed or stopped ahead of you. I know a few people who beat the new guvment estimates just by looking ahead and not peeling out and accelerating hard.

I went car shopping with a sister in law a few years back and what she needed was a minivan.
She needed room for lots of kids and sports equipment.
She wouldn't get one. She got a huge suv and it made the mini van gas mileage look good!

Like my minivan. Right height. I take the seats out and use it as a moving van whenever one of the kids moves around.
But my milage is bad.

Yeah, the hybrids are great until you need to get a new battery.

I'm staying with the van until something happens that is expensive to fix. So far it has all be maintenance or milage/age related and we have a good mechanic.
That is the car trick! A good mechanic!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

SkekTek

Wife loves the new Scion, but I know she really wanted a Honda Odyssey.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Today is a great day to take Rusty to the park behind the supermarket with all the trees. Except a sign suddenly appeared on the gate saying no dogs.
Why?
This is a totally unused park.
Only bums sleeping on the benches.
The people who live next to it rather have guys sleeping on the benches than dogs?
It is the only shady place around.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

SkekTek wrote:Wife loves the new Scion, but I know she really wanted a Honda Odyssey.

Me, too. Either an Odyssey or a Sienna.

ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:Today is a great day to take Rusty to the park behind the supermarket with all the trees. Except a sign suddenly appeared on the gate saying no dogs.
Why?
This is a totally unused park.
Only bums sleeping on the benches.
The people who live next to it rather have guys sleeping on the benches than dogs?
It is the only shady place around.

That leaps into the vacuum. Call the parks department and find out why. Lodge your protest.

FORUM MODERATOR

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Squiddle-dee-doo, PWA!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

LittleMissRachel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleMissRachel

Good morning, PW...wait, this isn't the place I left Friday, is it?

LMR's opinions are like margaritas: intoxicating, and best taken with a bit of salt.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

DA59 wrote:That leaps into the vacuum. Call the parks department and find out why. Lodge your protest.

I feel like saying, hey, you have a newly renovated park with a little league field with an astro turf infield and a little kid playground.
Dogs are allowed.
Never any dogs there. Actually more because there is a huge hole in the fence that goes into the sump
(like a pond that water collects and seeps back into the ground. Always fenced in. Tons of geese and bunnies live in there)
and the dogs chase bunnies into the sump.

I don't let him off leash (totally illegal anyway) there because of the little kids. Plus the fake grass. Don't want him to hurt that.

All that would happen if I say that is, tomorrow there will be a no dog sign on that fence!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

LittleMissRachel wrote:Good morning, PW...wait, this isn't the place I left Friday, is it?

You must post every day, or we move away!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!