KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
SkekTek wrote:I love this quote about perl: "Fortran and C were designed to make efficient use of expensive computer hardware. In contrast, Perl is designed to make efficient use of expensive computer programmers."

I'll take Fortran anyday. I can do that.

I'm getting sleepy. Supposedly the rain is coming.

If we could've gotten the Fortran source, I would gladly have let you recompile it! We are sending in another list of 'please fixes' and that doesn't even deal with the main issue of the program only being able to be called from it's home directory.

I'd like to learn C at some point, but not much need right now in my life for it.

Beware the V'owls screech!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
KtCallista wrote:If we could've gotten the Fortran source, I would gladly have let you recompile it! We are sending in another list of 'please fixes' and that doesn't even deal with the main issue of the program only being able to be called from it's home directory.

I'd like to learn C at some point, but not much need right now in my life for it.

Well, there are other more important things...

Night all, I'm going to bed.

KtCallista

SkekTek wrote:Well, there are other more important things...

yes yes

goodnight!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

SkekTek wrote:Well, there are other more important things...

Oh lookie, we went to a new page. And here I thought everyone left.

Night Skek.

In the olden days, I wrote BASIC & Z80 Assembler manuals. Almost wrote a manual on Forth but it got canceled. That one was gonna stretch my limits.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

KtCallista

DA59 wrote:Oh lookie, we went to a new page. And here I thought everyone left.

Night Skek.

In the olden days, I wrote BASIC & Z80 Assembler manuals. Almost wrote a manual on Forth but it got canceled. That one was gonna stretch my limits.

Someday I hope to be as cool a geek as you DA!

ThunderThighs

Staff

KtCallista wrote: Someday I hope to be as cool a geek as you DA!

Heh, I subscribe to the Charlie Brown theory of "Those that can't do, teach."

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

KtCallista

DA59 wrote:Heh, I subscribe to the Charlie Brown theory of "Those that can't do, teach."

Well lets see the word around work is, those that can't do consult... and the next job my name is on (should it get funded) is . . . . . consulting.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
KtCallista wrote:Well lets see the word around work is, those that can't do consult... and the next job my name is on (should it get funded) is . . . . . consulting.

hmmph. I'm a consultant! and I feel like I am constantly teaching those who can't do anything! lol

Edit: Still have a headache - going to bed. night all!

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:hmmph. I'm a consultant! and I feel like I am constantly teaching those who can't do anything! lol

Honestly, I don't mind teaching. I used to tutor in college and I was a TA in high school. I just don't want to deal with school drama.

I'm not good with drama.

I hope the headache goes away, get some good rest!

ThunderThighs

Staff

kdccrosby wrote:hmmph. I'm a consultant! and I feel like I am constantly teaching those who can't do anything! lol

Good luck with the headache.

Gnite.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Home. Reading back.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

pooflady

DA59 wrote:You're pregnant, you don't have to explain.

When I was pregnant, I cried when the dog ran into the cabinet on the Gravy Train commercials.

And I've been that way since menopause. Really infuriates me. Cry if somebody looks at me cross-eyed when what I'd really like to do is pop them one.

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
pooflady wrote:And I've been that way since menopause. Really infuriates me. Cry if somebody looks at me cross-eyed when what I'd really like to do is pop them one.

Hmm, interesting, since I don't think I have cried more than a couple of times since menopause.
Yell and scream?
Oh, yeah.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:And I've been that way since menopause. Really infuriates me. Cry if somebody looks at me cross-eyed when what I'd really like to do is pop them one.

Oh, I hope I don't have that reaction!!!! It's bad enough since having the kids.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Didn't sleep well last night so I'm heading ot bed. Gnite all.

pooflady

DA59 wrote:Didn't sleep well last night so I'm heading ot bed. Gnite all.

Night Daj.

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Mornin', folks

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! We are heading back to the beach today for one last week of summer. Then we will be back home in the mountains for the school year. Have a great day guys!

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer

morning all.

SkekTek

Morning collection of kind folks. Kids are eating waffles, wife is playing on the computer, and I seem to still be in 2nd place.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning all.

Glad I didn't hang around for conversation last night.

Not feeling too great. Not feeling horribly bad but not at 100%. Probably not even 80%.

//smack Cruzer

SkekTek

DA59 wrote:Morning all.

Glad I didn't hang around for conversation last night.

Not feeling too great. Not feeling horribly bad but not at 100%. Probably not even 80%.

//smack Cruzer

Hi DA! Hope you feel better!

pooflady

Morning. Feel groggy. M-i-l day. Ugh.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

Morning everyone. Still have a headache, but not as bad as yesterday. So I'm at work, for what that's worth.

YAY Skek!

//crossing fingers for the rest of the voting week

SkekTek

kdccrosby wrote:Morning everyone. Still have a headache, but not as bad as yesterday. So I'm at work, for what that's worth.

YAY Skek!

//crossing fingers for the rest of the voting week

Looks like I'll be holding off the lolcat one with the bag. Although for a long time I thought it was a bear.

Of course, if I had only replaced the smiley and the thought balloons with a plain blue stripe and the ! bubble, I might have been in first all along. Hindsight...

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

KtCallista wrote:Well lets see the word around work is, those that can't do consult... and the next job my name is on (should it get funded) is . . . . . consulting.

My dad consults. Not because he can't do, but because he did do.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

So long, y'all! back in a few days! Off to Mt. Rushmore!

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:So long, y'all! back in a few days! Off to Mt. Rushmore!

HAve a nice vacation. Take lots of pics!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Without a computer????

Just people???

For days???

Have fun!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

KtCallista

Morning all!

Had a super realistic dream about getting stung in the back by a swarm of bees, my back still hurts. . . Stupid pregnancy dreams!

Getting a bit overwhelmed with everything we have to do before my sister's wedding.

Can't do much of it today. . .

ThunderThighs

Staff

Fun trip! Have a great time!

SkekTek

KtCallista wrote:Morning all!

Had a super realistic dream about getting stung in the back by a swarm of bees, my back still hurts. . . Stupid pregnancy dreams!

Getting a bit overwhelmed with everything we have to do before my sister's wedding.

Can't do much of it today. . .

Whoa.... deja now!

This morning I de-bee'd a nest next to our garage. It was small, but growing. One stick, and then RUN!!!

KtCallista

SkekTek wrote:Whoa.... deja now!

This morning I de-bee'd a nest next to our garage. It was small, but growing. One stick, and then RUN!!!

It's your fault!!!! Stop channeling into my mind!

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

So I was talking with my boss about the lab computer hard drive that died the other day, and he had a suggestion that I've never heard of in all my years fixing computers for friends and family -- freeze the drive to resurrect it for a few minutes in which you pull all your important files off.

Anyone ever tried this? Doing a quick search on Google implies that it's done pretty often and works most of the time, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
Turken wrote:So I was talking with my boss about the lab computer hard drive that died the other day, and he had a suggestion that I've never heard of in all my years fixing computers for friends and family -- freeze the drive to resurrect it for a few minutes in which you pull all your important files off.

Anyone ever tried this? Doing a quick search on Google implies that it's done pretty often and works most of the time, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

I've done it once or twice, years and years ago. It did work, but it's definitely a last resort. Condensation is a worry.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

KtCallista

Turken wrote:So I was talking with my boss about the lab computer hard drive that died the other day, and he had a suggestion that I've never heard of in all my years fixing computers for friends and family -- freeze the drive to resurrect it for a few minutes in which you pull all your important files off.

One of the repair shops in town will do this. I've never done it, never had data that important that wasn't backed up.

LittleMissRachel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleMissRachel

I've done it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, it really depends on the nature of the failure. It works because of the simple fact that metals conduct better at low temperatures, and as a result electronics work better and more efficiently - even though it kinda sounds crazy, the principle of freezing your electronics to help temporarily resurrect them is sound. Putting it in a zipper bag will help avoid condensation.

LMR's opinions are like margaritas: intoxicating, and best taken with a bit of salt.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
LittleMissRachel wrote:I've done it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, it really depends on the nature of the failure. It works because of the simple fact that metals conduct better at low temperatures, and as a result electronics work better and more efficiently - even though it kinda sounds crazy, the principle of freezing your electronics to help temporarily resurrect them is sound. Putting it in a zipper bag will help avoid condensation.

Thanks for the info. It's nice to have the explanation of why things work and not just how.

Plastic bags to stop condensation are pretty much a given. Fortunately I have some freezer bags in my desk already (don't remember why I bought them, but they're there). next question then is how cold and how long... icewater bath for a few hours, lunchroom freezer overnight, liquid nitrogen dip for a few minutes?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Sooooo, one computer is recovered. Internal "situation."

Uhhhh, when you borrow something for a year and nobody knows about it, it's a theft. Duh.