Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

The public clamors for it. The big studios will pay anything for it. The awards are already engraved. But there's one thing keeping the Woot biopic off of your silver screens: choosing a director with the vision and genius worthy of our story. Since we're having trouble getting Woody Allen, Ingmar Bergman, and John Ford to return our calls - especially the dead ones - we need your help:

Show us a scene from a Woot motion picture in the style of a famous director.

Post your entry here by 11:59 AM (central) on Monday, September 21, 2009. Prizes are $20/$50/$100 for 3rd/2nd/1st. The rules and criteria for winning: our panel of volunteer judges can and will make stuff up as it goes along. Use Photoshop, linoleum blocks, pastels, MSPaint, cave painting, tattoos, tribal scarification, whatever, but it’ll only be judged if it’s visible in our forums as a jpg, gif, or png. As we are fond of saying, try to keep your maximum width to 550px. If you need a place to host your pictures, try www.imageshack.ws or www.photobucket.com. We have no connection to either, but they seem free and easy to use. And if you want us to be sure your entry was indeed your work, post links to your source images. The more sure we are that you did your own work, the more likely we are to consider it for a prize.

mrwolfe00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrwolfe00

no

-me

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

This is a scene in a minimalist style showing the content of all of the Bad Old Cinema's that I ever won:

Like it?

DarthJay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarthJay

I was going to enter this contest, but as I was trying to get into Woot Studios with my director of choice to make an entry, I got stopped by this picket line.

Crossing the picket line would be bad for my career.

-----------------------------------------
(to change to a non-Woot avatar - go to https://account.woot.com and click on the "add connection" link in the top right corner of the connections box. Once you've linked to the other accounts, you can use that avatar)

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915

Frank Miller's Woot City

ActorTom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ActorTom
DarthJay wrote:

ME TOO! I've been on strike since 232!

It's been five weeks to the day since 230 closed and still no results. (even with the time saved by skipping 2 contests in the interim)

Come play DODGEBALL over in the world of woot. No money, but the results are ALWAYS timely. The topic is better too!

Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus
DarthJay wrote:

Yea, what's the point. I've become numb with disappointment. We don't even get the concilitory pat on the head to give us hope anymore. We tried being patient, we've tried poking them with good humor, all that's left is screaming and yelling, and life's too short for that.

Signature censored by Woot

bradcrc

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bradcrc

aw... I'm bored and I have a few ideas, but I don't want to be a scab and cross the picket line.

:D guess I'll sit this one out for now as well. hehe.

batya7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages batya7

This all seems like a sci-fi nightmare.... I'm not exactly crossing the picket line, just commenting... and hoping for a monkey prize! ...(if the contests ever catch up with the winners..........)

12 monkeys stencil http://www.tomamusica.com/caratulas/Bso/B.S.O.-12-Monkeys.jpg
woot logo http://userlogos.org/node/5979
monkey head (by ptelford) http://www.flickr.com/photos/ptelford/2948696642/in/pool-wootmonkeys

FedUpOldHag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FedUpOldHag

binkdrop

quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
toby8915 wrote:Frank Miller's Woot City

Who is the guy on the right with the cash? I've haven't been around here for these photochop contests much so I don't recognize him.

DarthJay

binkdrop wrote:Who is the guy on the right with the cash? I've haven't been around here for these photochop contests much so I don't recognize him.

Scott - he's one of the woot staffers....see blog entry from E3 here:

http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=8399

(to change to a non-Woot avatar - go to https://account.woot.com and click on the "add connection" link in the top right corner of the connections box. Once you've linked to the other accounts, you can use that avatar)

fyrefall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyrefall
bradcrc wrote:aw... I'm bored and I have a few ideas, but I don't want to be a scab and cross the picket line.

:D guess I'll sit this one out for now as well. hehe.

Also sittin' out.

-FF

gwbids

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwbids

[quote postid="3429618" user="ActorTom"]
ME TOO! I've been on strike since 232! It's been five weeks to the day since 230 closed and still no results.

GW adds: No, that is not me holding the picket sign in the picture. I was off getting the torches and pitchforks when this shot was taken; but I am on strike.

And regarding the one picture that made it through the line, it just goes to prove that the woot staff has enough time and money on their hands to judge the contests and pay them out. After all, how long does it take to laugh and say, 'I like this one;' Hmm?

DarthJay

gwbids wrote:
After all, how long does it take to laugh and say, 'I like this one;' Hmm?

Well I don't even think it's an issue of judging...last I heard from one of the volunteer judges was that they had several contests judged. The problem is that they don't have the forum rights to post results - only Jason Toon can do that. It seems as though things have been busy at woot and maybe he hasn't had the time...I don't know. But they should get him some help or shut down this section of the site altogether. I certainly hope for the first of the two options.

A few words from a judge, staffer or even Jason himself as to what is going on and what we should expect would go a long way...this group of woot users has been ignored far too long.

boredbabe90

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boredbabe90

I most definitely would not like it if they stopped the contests. No one said you had to do them if you don't like waiting. In the mean time, it's fun to photoshop and see what others had come up with, getting money is just a plus to the whole thing. You have to remember they don't have to do these contests. If anything it's just a waste of their time. Sure it's frustrating waiting to see results... but get over it

GodfatherND

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND

Toon's Zunes

The Birds
The Byrds

Cptamazing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cptamazing

DarthJay

boredbabe90 wrote:Sure it's frustrating waiting to see results... but get over it

Being frustrated about waiting is one thing - and if that's ALL it was, I'd STFU. Going on 6 weeks with no new results and not even so much as explanation to what is going on is far beyond simple frustration.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly "get over it" - but all any of us really want is to know WTF is going on. If they'd just post a simple "sorry for the delay - we're really jammed up" I'm sure we'd all be happy with that. But just chugging along like nothing is wrong is, in my opinion, kinda crappy.

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman
fyrefall wrote:Also sittin' out.

-FF

I'll just continue working.

At my job.

TomW

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomW

Cptamazing

Just.... a little... more.... bacon salt... I... Cant.... resist......

toby8915

DarthJay wrote:Well I don't even think it's an issue of judging...last I heard from one of the volunteer judges was that they had several contests judged. The problem is that they don't have the forum rights to post results - only Jason Toon can do that. It seems as though things have been busy at woot and maybe he hasn't had the time...I don't know. But they should get him some help or shut down this section of the site altogether. I certainly hope for the first of the two options.

A few words from a judge, staffer or even Jason himself as to what is going on and what we should expect would go a long way...this group of woot users has been ignored far too long.

One of the judges has told me that they are up to date, it is woot staff that is behind, and because the judges are volunteers and not employees, they cannot update the page. I think an easy fix is just let them update the page. Woot already trusts them to hand out $180 bucks and sometimes more, and they trust them to do this but not to post winners?

ecriscit

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ecriscit

never tried this, seeing if it works. I went and finally tried one of these contests and wasted this time, and there is a strike on. I'm posting to see if this carp flies.

woot pic for contest

Spykee pic from woot
Lucas pic from yahoo

feedback about how bad I suck at this is desired

toby8915

ecriscit wrote:never tried this, seeing if it works. I went and finally tried one of these contests and wasted this time, and there is a strike on. I'm posting to see if this carp flies.

woot pic for contest

Spykee pic from woot
Lucas pic from yahoo

feedback about how bad I suck at this is desired

It would be better if you cropped out the bottom of the robot to make it look like it was in the scene. Also perhaps a slight blur to make it look like it was next to sam jackson. That would also allow you to run the text under the whole image to make it more legible.

gwbids

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwbids

DarthJay wrote: The problem is that they don't have the forum rights to post results - only Jason Toon can do that. It seems as though things have been busy at woot and maybe he hasn't had the time...

GWbids replies: I would be very happy for Toon if he is busy making money and running the company. However, when Toon gets several contests behind, he is just piling work on himself. Better to just dedicate an hour three days this week and start to get caught up. It is clearly not a good idea to make your loyal fans restless (it stifles the creativity that drives all the outrageous entries in these contests).

I’ll relent and enter a movie scene here, but woot might not like it…

More of a lobby card actually.

Source 1
Source 2
Color by Technicolor ...oops, no, that's wrong --- Color and titles by Paint Shop Pro XI

Cptamazing

BML0579

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BML0579

Movie and Woot

toby8915

Cptamazing wrote:

You need a space in between in and to

Cptamazing

toby8915 wrote:You need a space in between in and to

and a "T" in results too, but who's counting?

easy1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easy1
Cptamazing wrote:and a "T" in results too, but who's counting?

I am.

And an apostrophe in "Don't"

TomW

Meh.

Sources:

Movie

Roomba

Leakfrog

TomW

Meh Meh.

Sources:

Movie

Leakfrog

Roomba

toby8915

He has the T, he needs the L

Cptamazing

Let me go, you can't break up the set of collectable star wars booble heads for $29.95 plus $5 shipping from woot, you damn dirty apes!

Cptamazing

toby8915 wrote:He has the T, he needs the L

Holy cow, you all really ARE counting...

TKIRBY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TKIRBY

An "L", not a "T" in results..

toby8915

Cptamazing wrote:Holy cow, you all really ARE counting...

what else is there to do?

taipan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taipan

+1 Scab

A Richard Link(much)later Production

[Wootly Sized]

Sources:
Original Scene
Scott
Jason

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman