wootasourous

quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous
easysailor wrote:how many months does the water filtration last before i have to change the filter? since i wont use 88+ refills

You'll have anywhere from 2-3 months with it.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
accordable4sho wrote:Better question is, will it filter urine?

you planning on being outwater for a loooong time? :-P

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

midgetcl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages midgetcl
easysailor wrote:how many months does the water filtration last before i have to change the filter? since i wont use 88+ refills

i usually get 2-3 months in a 3-person household.

Dman27

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Dman27

3 replacement pack at walmart

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9219238&findingMethod=rr

B a g of crap: 8.5 & still waiting for that letter!!!
Woots: 30
Shirt Woots: 8

~DMan27~

gengenja

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gengenja

so where does one find the filter for changing this from water into wine? Wait, will that be on wine.woot later or does it require the JC filter?

jesspants

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jesspants

Are the filters as easy to come by as Pur or Brita? Or will I have to search high and low for replacement filters?

jmiller5181

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmiller5181
stonefry wrote:Thank God it gets the Hexachlorocyclopentadiene out. I was concerned!

You'd better be glad, that is nasty stuff!

It is very sad that I can still remember how to draw that, although a bit encouraging for the MCAT coming up

midgetcl

HarryBeanbag wrote:So 88 refills, not bad. But how do you keep track of them? I would hate be on my 89th refill and not know it, you know...

there's an indicator that turns from green to yellow when you have about 10 gallons left, then red when it's time to change. also, it gets noticeably slower to fill up (though still better than brita and without the little black specks falling into the water)

Dman27

sinthetic13 wrote:Will this filter out the fluoride in my water?

not a chance at this price, those usually require a hard installation to your sink

~DMan27~

wootasourous

DamienTheRabbit wrote:Do I have to use the hose, or can I put water in through the top?

The top has a lid where you can pour water through it. It has a separate chamber for it and will filter roughly 5 cups of water at once.

accordable4sho

quality posts: 1 Private Messages accordable4sho

accordable4sho wrote:Better question is, will it filter urine?

hijimmy5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hijimmy5

That list of contaminants is not what I wanted to see after 4 hours of studying organic chemistry.

chefbooyadee

quality posts: 38 Private Messages chefbooyadee

Ahh water filtration pitchers, perfect for improving cheap vodka.

You could use them for water too, I suppose.

Dman27

review

http://www.amazon.com/Applica-CWF1012-Clear-Replacement-Filter/product-reviews/B0015UQAEE/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

~DMan27~

midgetcl

Booperelli wrote:So does the "intelligent filter indicator" actually intelligently indicate when the filter needs to be changed, or is it just a timer like the Brita?

it measures how much water has passed through it. goes from green to yellow (10 gallons left) to red (time for new filter)

ronstell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronstell

Seems odd these don't filter out Chlorine - nasty stuff. If they don't filter it out, maybe there is a better choice ...

amnewsboy

quality posts: 48 Private Messages amnewsboy
chefbooyadee wrote:Ahh water filtration pitchers, perfect for improving cheap vodka.

I think the Mythbusters tried that, but I can't remember the results.

wootasourous

Here is a YouTube Video on it.

sweetviolet619

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sweetviolet619

I have this pitcher and I absolutely LOVE it! After deciding I was tired of going through a gazillion water bottles a month, and wanting to be more "earth friendly" (or whatever) I started looking into water filter pitchers. I decided on this one, because I used to have a drip filter and I got rid of it because I'm impatient and it was annoying not having enough water to fill up the baby bottle (or whatever it may be at the time) and having to use tap water to fill the rest of the way cause you have to wait 20 minutes before your water filters through. What's the point? Might as well just use tap water.
The filter is pretty much Dr. Clayton Forrester proof. When you see the color on top change from yellow (warning- approx 10 fills remaining) to red just change it out! No brainpower required =)
One tip- leave the faucet adapter on your sink. It doesnt interfere with your normal sink "activities" and it would be a major pain in the butt to have to change back and forth every time you needed to fill up.

Booperelli

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Booperelli
midgetcl wrote:it measures how much water has passed through it. goes from green to yellow (10 gallons left) to red (time for new filter)

ah, lovely! Thank you.

elizabethw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elizabethw
chefbooyadee wrote:Ahh water filtration pitchers, perfect for improving cheap vodka.

You could use them for water too, I suppose.

Wait, really? Now I'm interested. Tell me more!

Woots: woot x19 (incl 1 Baggie of Cthulhu which was 1 too many), wine x7 (incl Ty Caton trio - yum!), sellout x7, kids x6 (expect many more of these), shirt x5

ckeilah

If your vodka comes out of the tap at 90psi. I'll take mine triple distilled, thank you, and with a heavy dose of juniper berries and tonic. ;-)

Dman27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scasrGEFMRg

~DMan27~

land

quality posts: 1 Private Messages land
accordable4sho wrote:accordable4sho wrote:Better question is, will it filter urine?

A large part of California currently has their water turned off by the federal government because of a tiny ass minnow.... so, you never know what the future holds....

What the poster means, of course, is that a large part of rural California no longer gets limitless free water, courtesy of the federal government that they love to criticize, because they overused water to the point that species were threatened.

cinoclav

quality posts: 220 Private Messages cinoclav
ckeilah wrote:By the time I finally am able to post this, this question will probably have been asked... but how does this compare with Britta pitchers and can it use the Britta filters?

No, it can't use Brita filters.

elizabethw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elizabethw

I'm already saddled with an adapter on my faucet for our DW. any chance it is the same? (connector looks similar). Anyone got a pic of that or specs?

Woots: woot x19 (incl 1 Baggie of Cthulhu which was 1 too many), wine x7 (incl Ty Caton trio - yum!), sellout x7, kids x6 (expect many more of these), shirt x5

wootasourous

The filters that are supplied with this are unique to this design. Other filters will NOT work with this.

Clear2O uses a different design of block carbon instead of loose carbon. Britta and other filters will NOT work this with.

ckeilah

ronstell wrote:Seems odd these don't filter out Chlorine - nasty stuff. If they don't filter it out, maybe there is a better choice ...

WHAT?!?! That's the only thing I would bother filtering my perfectly good tap water for. How idiotic.

cinoclav

quality posts: 220 Private Messages cinoclav
stonefry wrote:Thank God it gets the Hexachlorocyclopentadiene out. I was concerned!

Be glad it does. That's used as a pesticide.

kooosh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kooosh

I've had one of these for two years and it mostly works flawlessly. Over time, the faucet attachment becomes more difficult to connect, but mine still works.

Included will be a faucet adapter and the hose connected to the picture will attach to that.

This is a bargain. The filters themselves are $10 each. For those who asked, the filters last 50 gallons or 88 refills. I believe that is a good value compared to Brita or others. Many people will tell you that filters are good long beyond what the manufacturer suggests. Also, I think it removes more contaminants than some other filters.

Dman27

ckeilah wrote:WHAT?!?! That's the only thing I would bother filtering my perfectly good tap water for. How idiotic.

haha i got the dumb shirt on random shirt day in may =[

~DMan27~

michelin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michelin

Well, scaffolding... I just bought a Britta on sale for 25... Only filters a small fraction of the things these do.

Guess I'll keep one and give another as a gift.

BlueEagle23

quality posts: 3 Private Messages BlueEagle23

Does water filtration such as this remove the need to boil water during low pressure or is that a different ball game?

Due to the flooding and water main breaks, my area is currently being advised by the county to boil water for consumption.

live4today

quality posts: 2 Private Messages live4today

Buys one while watching the waterboy

michelin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michelin
Dman27 wrote:haha i got the dumb shirt on random shirt day in may =[

I got this shirt when it was actually featured. Love it!

Irrenmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrenmann

Does this thing filter lead?

svenactually

quality posts: 0 Private Messages svenactually

can you fill it in the top, or must you use the connection hose?

wootasourous

BlueEagle23 wrote:Does water filtration such as this remove the need to boil water during low pressure or is that a different ball game?

Due to the flooding and water main breaks, my area is currently being advised by the county to boil water for consumption.

Boiling only helps with bacteria and such. It will not filter your water for you, as boiling only makes the water sanitary.

Now that being said, to get the same quality of water that you would get from tap water to filtering this, would be the same but I would be safe and boil it.

kooosh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kooosh
svenactually wrote:can you fill it in the top, or must you use the connection hose?

have to use hose.

BlueEagle23

quality posts: 3 Private Messages BlueEagle23
elizabethw wrote:I'm already saddled with an adapter on my faucet for our DW. any chance it is the same? (connector looks similar). Anyone got a pic of that or specs?

It's at the bottom of the description