dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
regal8lager wrote:Just bein' funny y'all ;)

Not

dave17

bridog6996 wrote:Fans killed my father, and raped my mother.

Family Guy anyone?

A fan killed Lennon

sdc100

quality posts: 508 Private Messages sdc100
Skittah wrote:I bought the last Vornado and ever since I've been told repeatedly by my roommates that they regret not buying that one... now I have two... A amazing fan and believe me you will find a need for it!!! PS perfect for phoenix AZ weather when your AC goes out... I literally think mine saved my life!!

Your post confused me for a sec. Fifty-nine secs, actually. How can you use an electric fan when the AC electricity is out??? Only after a minute did I realize that you meant "air conditioner." I'm so bloody blonde sometimes....

Temperatures are still triple digits in parts of California and Arizona. It's in the 50's today in NYC.

trlby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trlby

Every Vornado FAN I've bought both here and on the web are utter scaffolding!

This was a marketing effort that went bad. Vornado used to make the best but these are nothing but JUNK

SAVE YOUR MONEY

All three of the Vornado Fans I bought last time on WOOT are DEAD!

dave17

Got the clip fan and two of the small desk fans with the soft blades.They are all fan-tastic.This one will be used to blow a little cool air into the servant's quarters.

smerdle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smerdle

I own this fan and it is terrific. I just bought two more to give as gifts.

eyedeal1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eyedeal1
duckcake wrote:• . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

that's pretty good

sdc100

potentatetato wrote:Did you know Koreans believe leaving fans on overnight in a closed room will cause death, commonly known there as "fan death"? Weird huh?

My Chinese neighbor claims a stationary fan causes bodily aches. That's why she will only use an oscillating one, even when alone in the room.

cthrash1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cthrash1
Kizzbot wrote:Winter is just around the corner and you guys put up a fan? I am really losing interest in woot fast.

A fan can be used anytime... Like we need one in our bedroom all year because it is upstairs and stays hot, Winter or Summer. If the heat is gonna find a place to rise to its gonna be our bedroom.

fmadden71

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fmadden71

This may not be a big enough fan for your needs, but no brand compares with Vornado.

I own a couple of the about 12" size and one about 20" size. 5 year and 10 year warranty, respectively. If you live in a dusty area, like I do, a regular fan dies within a year... even with me knowing how to clean and oil them. Vornado's motors are enclosed, so they never need cleaning or oiling (the blades and grill still need cleaning though).

I'll never buy another brand again for these reasons alone. But they also blow more air quieter than anything else too. They truly are amazing.

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234
doctorwill wrote:Not a good woot at all...

Not a good post...

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

I was wanting to buy another of the fans I got from woot before *with the stand*...

That's what has me thinking twice about this one, no stand.

Is this really bigger than the previous stand model, not the '$19' model?

Ivansilvapm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ivansilvapm
Kizzbot wrote:Winter is just around the corner and you guys put up a fan? I am really losing interest in woot fast.

I Concur, thats pretty balderah.

sdc100

trlby wrote:Every Vornado FAN I've bought both here and on the web are utter scaffolding!

This was a marketing effort that went bad. Vornado used to make the best but these are nothing but JUNK

SAVE YOUR MONEY

I'm curious, were all of them air circulators? Or were they fans? I ask because their circulators (like this one) are completely different from their fans. I've tried several of the fans (the pivoting Flippi and cloth-blade Zippi), and were not impressed. The circulators, however have been wonderful.

mgb65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgb65

I was considering one of these, but after some research on the Interwebs, I found this;

How does a fan kill? The most common explanations that people generally offer are two. The most prevalent explanation is that the fan used directly on your body causes suffocation, because the fast-moving air around your face makes inhalation difficult. Alternatively, some people also offer that breathing through skin constitutes a significant proportion of breathing, and the fast-moving air caused by the fan makes the skin-breathing difficult, leading to suffocation.

No way I'm letting a fan kill me while I sleep. I am going to start keeping an eye on my ceiling fan. I know it's out to get me.

Ron
...Semper Fidelis...

Ivansilvapm

Ivansilvapm wrote:I Concur, thats pretty balderah.

the word i used was balderah

Buckramega

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Buckramega

I have a beige one just like this and it is awesome. Vornados are the best fans ever if you are looking for maximum air moving power with minimum noise in a small package.

fmadden71

trlby wrote:Every Vornado FAN I've bought both here and on the web are utter scaffolding!

SAVE YOUR MONEY

Then get them replaced, they should still be under warranty.

The last several Vornado's I saw on Woot fell into the 5 year warranty category... and I bought 2. Some have a 10 year, and the industrial ones have a life time warranty.

Granted, I think you are just full of scaffolding because this isn't something you need and are still frustrated by they kid items and very recently offered items, filled Woot-Off.

bassyb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bassyb

I have three of these placed strategically around my open layout home in Texas. I was able to set my A/C at 82 and it was quite comfortable this summer. I saved hundreds of $ on electricity.

fmadden71

mgb65 wrote:I was considering one of these, but after some research on the Interwebs, I found this;

How does a fan kill? The most common explanations that people generally offer are two. The most prevalent explanation is that the fan used directly on your body causes suffocation, because the fast-moving air around your face makes inhalation difficult. Alternatively, some people also offer that breathing through skin constitutes a significant proportion of breathing, and the fast-moving air caused by the fan makes the skin-breathing difficult, leading to suffocation.

No way I'm letting a fan kill me while I sleep. I am going to start keeping an eye on my ceiling fan. I know it's out to get me.

If you eat a lot of beans and your bedroom has poor air circulation, the methane you produce could kill ya too.

So you need to decide which is more of a threat to you... a fan or methane?

cdahms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdahms

this blows, hard. i have one of these, and it's awesome.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

$30 seems way too expensive for a fan. I've seen a couple of Vornados at yard sales for $5 and that price is much more appealing.

auntiep85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntiep85

i HAVE 3 OF THESE. THEY ARE TERRIFIC!

jeffandmonica

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica
CharlesP2009 wrote:$30 seems way too expensive for a fan. I've seen a couple of Vornados at yard sales for $5 and that price is much more appealing.

Hmm, travel from garage sale to garage sale for the next couple years just hoping to save $25 on this fan? I'll keep my time and gas money and spend the extra $25. In for 2!

danduhman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages danduhman

I have the older version and works great. Has two speeds slow and fast. If you use it by your desk it tends to blow papers off the desk though even on the slow setting.

mmenikheim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmenikheim

As far a noise, I got the smaller one on the last woot and on low it is very quiet, HOWEVER on high the noise is pretty loud, however it is a great fan even with the noise

Synapse777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Synapse777

Bought 2 vornados last woot.

1 was doa, the 2nd died shortly thereafter.

avoid these fans, they are nothing but trouble.

frhorn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frhorn

Best. Fan. EVER.

In for 3....total of 5 in my home now.

'nuf said.

glubash

quality posts: 11 Private Messages glubash
mgb65 wrote:I was considering one of these, but after some research on the Interwebs, I found this;

There are two other ways that are just as likely:
1. Stick your whole hand into the fan and then bleed to death after it chops your fingers off.
2. Plastic fatigue causes the blades to completely sheer from the center hub and once caught up on the vortex of air created by the fan, are hurtled towards an innocent sleeping victim resulting in cuts similar to those received by a sharpened lunchroom spork. Before the poor sleeping fellow can even register the pain, BPA leecheds from the plastic spears leading to serious infection and eventual death.

So just be safe people and leave the fan in another room at night (up to 70' away!).

sdc100

A lot of people mistakenly believe that a fan is for cooling. That's false. Fans don't cool the air. All the fan does is to push air around. You can prove this easily. Close the door in a room and turn the fan on, aimed at a thermometer. The temperature won't go down no matter ho long it blows. In fact, technically speaking, the motor actually adds heat to the air. Fans can help cool you, however, in two ways.

1) Evaporative Cooling, which applies mostly to living things (or anything with surface moisture). When liquids evaporate, the phase change carries away energy (aka heat). That cools the surface with the liquid. Sweating serves one major purpose and it's to cool the body (and NOT detoxification as some New Age healers would have you think; sweat doesn't detoxify). A fan blows air on the sweat, speeding evaporation by carrying the vapors away. This does not work, however, on very humid days where there is too much moisture in the air to accept anymore from your body. A fan would be useless.

As an aside, evaporative cooling is how those misting fans work. You spritz water on yourself and then the fan sppeds its evaporation, cooling the skin. Again, it won't work on very humid days.

As another aside, this is why you actually need to drink MORE water on hot humid days, not less. Unlike plants, which need less water because they can absorb moisture from the air, we dehydrate more easily. When it's hot, our body reacts by sweating, hoping to cool it through evaporative cooling. But since your sweat can't evaporate into the already saturated air, your body stays hot. It then reacts by sweating more, still trying to cool it via evaporation. All this futile sweating leads to water loss and dehydration.

BTW, the fact that moisture is needed is the reason the above thermometer doesn't experience any cooling from the fan. The same goes for your computer and other electronic equipment. Yet we have fans inside the computer and other electronics. For example, the bulb inside a projection TV could burn out if there was no fan. That's due to the next effect...

2) Air Circulation. When you blow air on the CPU of a computer or hot halogen bulb inside a projector, the goal is to displace the hot air with cooler air. The fan doesn't actually cool the air, it merely pushes the hot air away. This works great if the surrounding air is cooler. For example, if you have an open window, a fan can pull cooler air in. And certainly, the air 12" away from a hot CPU is cooler than the CPU. It's not as useful, however, if you're in a closed room, with no temperature differences throughout the room. You'd be circulating the same hot air around. And while you may feel cooler because of the above evaporative cooling, non-living things won't experience any cooling.

The bottom line is not to expect miracles from a fan. If it's really humid, turn on an air conditioner which will actually dehumidify the air. And to answer Kizzbot's original criticism, a fan can circulate warm air just as well as it can circulate cool air. This Vornado can then be helpful during the Winter.

rasputinaxp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rasputinaxp

I have three words for you:

In. For. Two.

I need something to replace the godawful box fan, and one in my guest room. PERFECT. I LOVE YOU WOOT LOVE LOVE LOVE KISSES AND HUGS.

What? Where was I?

Yeah. Hi. Bought two.

oldbutnotstupid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldbutnotstupid
mboverload wrote:I bought 3 Vorandos a few months ago from woot. I moved to Texas and they are the best. freaking. investment I have ever made in a product.

I can't say enough about Vornados. They are different.

Woot, you are my god, my everything.

that's a little over the top

sdc100

glubash wrote:There are two other ways that are just as likely:
1. Stick your whole hand into the fan and then bleed to death after it chops your fingers off.
2. Plastic fatigue causes the blades to completely sheer from the center hub and once caught up on the vortex of air created by the fan, are hurtled towards an innocent sleeping victim resulting in cuts similar to those received by a sharpened lunchroom spork. Before the poor sleeping fellow can even register the pain, BPA leecheds from the plastic spears leading to serious infection and eventual death.

So just be safe people and leave the fan in another room at night (up to 70' away!).

Or drop one into the filled bath tub while it's plugged in...

Ivansilvapm

Ivansilvapm wrote:the word i used was balderah

thats not the word i used...lets try this one. balderdah

smr13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smr13
danduhman wrote:I have the older version and works great. Has two speeds slow and fast. If you use it by your desk it tends to blow papers off the desk though even on the slow setting.

I think you took this as a chance to show off your muscle man... which is quite awesome I must say. Where would someone get such a thing?

CoBrA2168

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CoBrA2168

Have one of these in my dorm. Works great, paired with two other average fans. Might consider getting another here.

Really great to sit over this fan when sweating after walking back from class.

AksanSai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AksanSai
Hoser768 wrote:I liked the ones I got from woot last time.

I became a convert when I received mine from the last Woot. So have all my officemates.

Also: made in the USA.

sdc100

zephalis wrote:All fans of this type are very good. The differences between them are size, efficiency, and volumetric flow rate (how much air per minute).

I personally own three: a Patton, a Lakewood, and a Honeywell. The Honeywell is basically the same fan with a different logo and is well worth the price.

No, I have the Honeywell ($10-$19) and it's not the same at all. They make the shell look similar but if you examine the pitch of the blade, you'd see that the Honeywell uses a normal blade while the Vornado's pitch is much deeper. The enclosure and grille is also computer designed to add thrust and push the iair nto a focused vortex. The Honeywell is just a conventional fan made to look like a Vornado. I've compared them side to side, and my similarly-sized clip-on Vornado blows much further. The Vornado is also much quieter on low. In fact, it's pretty much silent. Finally, the Honeywell died after a year of intermittent use (1-2 hrs/week) while my Vornado has survived more than a year at 6-8hrs/day.

CoBrA2168

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CoBrA2168
danduhman wrote:I have the older version and works great. Has two speeds slow and fast. If you use it by your desk it tends to blow papers off the desk though even on the slow setting.

Pretty nice setup man. I as well have the fan, the Antec 900, an Xbox, and an older version of the G15. Good taste haha

MIKEGEITHMAN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MIKEGEITHMAN

Hey ya'll, I bought one of these the last time for the wife and she loves it, so I am buying this one for moi. They are some real air movers and the sound it makes is awesome for sleeping. Ciao, Michael