aramat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aramat

I went back and forth over this most of the day yesterday, finally deciding to pass. Today I walk into BB&B only to find one offered for $29.99-20%+tax. Walked out with it under my arm (paid for, of course). Two offers in as many days was one too many to pass up.

outcast2k

quality posts: 1 Private Messages outcast2k

sucked in for 3. electric bill's been thru the roof b/c we've had to set the temp down to compensate for hot/cold spots. we'll see if these'll circulate and even out the temp variations to make a measureable difference in the cooling bill.

buggsy2

quality posts: 8 Private Messages buggsy2
Cowboywooter wrote:Which method is better to refresh a room, blow the air out or blow in?

I assume in all cases the room is warmer than outside and you have just one fan. Or Air Circulator, whatever.

Set the fan to blow into the room from the window. You'll get a little better performance if you can seal the window opening to the fan, but that will be difficult with a round fan and square window opening.

Open a door or other window to allow the stale room air to escape.

Cowboywooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cowboywooter
buggsy2 wrote:
Set the fan to blow into the room from the window.
Open a door or other window to allow the stale room air to escape.

Currently have a 2-speed Vornado blow into a room. Will try the coming 3-speed blow out in the adjoining room.

kcarsonwoot

quality posts: 261 Private Messages kcarsonwoot

**Shipping Update**

Vornado 3 Speed Mid Size Air Circulator has completely shipped via FEDEX Ground. All tracking will be emailed by this afternoon to members who purchased this item. If you would like to find your tracking information sooner, please click the following link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

darkinc

quality posts: 31 Private Messages darkinc

Thanks got the shipping info today

bungle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bungle

yap

taiqui

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taiqui

They're in my car... thanks!

eastercat

quality posts: 4 Private Messages eastercat

I get mine tomorrow. Finally, there's an advantage to living in Dallas.

if u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb, bt if u rt lk ths u r a mrn.

dotcommie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dotcommie

Got mine today and it does move a lot of air but I wouldn't say it's whisper quiet like they claimed... It's like driving with windows down at like 20mph at the quietest setting so it's not too bad, I just thought there would be a slower speed because even at that setting it's moving a ton of air.

If I had to guess there's only like 200rpm difference between low and medium and maybe 400-500 from medium to high. When I touch it it seems to be wiggling back and forth a lot more than some other fans with more blades. So either mines louder because it's a bit off-center or that's normal because it's an aggressive fan pitch...who knows. It's still an awesome deal for what seems like a high quality fan that will be my cooling off buddy for years to come.

faaengr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages faaengr

Does anybody else's box look like it got ran over by a car? Also the front cover wasn't attached and one of the clips is broken.

TweetyBear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TweetyBear

got mine today also. i agree that the fan isn't whisper quiet but it's tolerable. box came earlier than i thought so that's good

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
aramat wrote:I went back and forth over this most of the day yesterday, finally deciding to pass. Today I walk into BB&B only to find one offered for $29.99-20%+tax. Walked out with it under my arm (paid for, of course). Two offers in as many days was one too many to pass up.

Are you sure it's this exact model? I've never seen for that low in any non-online store.

I don't know where you live but these fans are still $59.99 here in Chelsea, NYC. I was hoping that they would go on clearance at the end of Summer, but then again, Chelsea has one of the highest rents in the nation so no such luck. In fact, we Manhattanites aren't even eligible to get their 20% Off mailings! We get all their other announcements but not the coupons. Residents of the surrounding boros: Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Statren Island, all get 20% Off coupons regularly. When I complained, they explained that they're trying to attract outside customers. Dang.

darkinc

quality posts: 31 Private Messages darkinc
faaengr wrote:Does anybody else's box look like it got ran over by a car? Also the front cover wasn't attached and one of the clips is broken.

yea... they didnt rebox it to ship like they usually do, guess I wont be saving this box for storage purposes...

sdc100

Just got mine 10 mins ago and I'm enjoying it as I type. Here are some thoughts:

1) This Woot was apparently very popular. The Fedex dude asked me, "What are these? I have 4 of them on my cart right now!" Sure enough there were 3 other Vornado boxes. He added that there were plenty more in the Fedex delivery van. I assume that the huge box means that each shipment contained three fans, as mine did.

Given that the Woot wasn't a sell-out, I didn't know that they were this popular. Maybe they were just popular in my NYC neighborhood and nowhere else? The irony is that it's been downright cold, dipping below 60 at night. Anyway, I explained to the Fedex guy what Vornado and Woot are, and he's now planning to buy one as well as join Woot.

As for the Vornados themselves, I already own the smaller 2-speed clip-on so a lot of my impressions are based on a comparison.

1) These are rated to move air 70 feet as opposed to 60-65 feet of the clip-on, yet they're listed as using fewer watts. I didnt believe the specs so I emailed the company and one of their engineers responded within hours, He told me that it was true because the larger fan has a bigger blade and deeper pitch, making it even more efficient.

In a head-to-head comparison, this fan does NOT seem as powerful as the smaller clip-on on high. If the engineer was correct, there are two explanations: 1) the smaller vortex of the smaller fan may concentrate the energy into a smaller area making it seem more powerful. But at further distances, i.e. 70 feet, the effect disappears because the beam spreads out. 2) The higher wattage of the smaller fan has more RPMs and the louder noise created makes it seem more powerful.

2) All 3 of my Vornados arrived intact. Even the boxes -- including the outer carton -- were unblemished. The 3 clip-on Vornados I bought previously from Woot were also perfect. So either I'm lucky or many Wooters are unlucky.

3) On low, this larger Vornado is not as quiet as the clip-on on low. The clip-on was truly whisper quiet. If it wasn't for the air moving, I would not have know that it was on from 6' away. Then again, I'm a lifelong NYCer and have become numbed to ambient noise. Even sirens often fade into the background. This larger Vornado is not as quiet on low. My guess is that the noise is from the larger volume of air moved. Most people think that fan noise is from the motor. Unless the fan is broken, most of the noise is actually from the air being moved. Sound, after all, is moving air molecules bouncing on your eardrums. That;s why vacuums are so loud. So noise from a fan is actually a good thing because it means air is being moved.

4) Some people mentioned the Vornados having a sealed motor, explaining its durability. Thw motor on this larger Vornado doesn't look sealed at all. In fact, it looks dangerously exposed. YOu can see the wires around the armature and all the innards of the motor,
I definitely wouldn't leave it plugged in anywhere that water or rain might be present, i.e. on the patio.

5) I bought this fan primarily for the middle speed. My complaint about the clip-on is that there is a HUGE difference between high and low. Low is imperceptibly quiet while high can interfere with my TV viewing. I needed a middle setting and the second setting on this 3-speed was perfect. It's suitably powerful yet not too noisy.

TweetyBear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TweetyBear

what do i do to get one replaced? on one of my fans the grill doesn't clip securely onto the fan. i'd rather not have this since it's a hazard in area where there are kids and such.

sdc100

sdc100

TweetyBear wrote:what do i do to get one replaced? on one of my fans the grill doesn't clip securely onto the fan. i'd rather not have this since it's a hazard in area where there are kids and such.

Try writing
customerservice@vornado.com

or visiting their website
www.vornado.com

You can also call
1-800-234-0604

Many people have said that Vornado's hassle-free 5 ear warranty is unsurpassed so you should have a new fan soon. A warning: the instructions ask for $20 return postage. That doesn't include the s/h to send it to their center. The total then may surpass the $29.99 (+$5 s/h) it costs to buy this fan from Woot. There are 2 ways around this, sort of. First, considering that the fan normally costs $59, a $30 shipping bill may not be that bad. After all, it'll cost you that much plus tax to replace. Second, some have said that certain customer reps are more generous than others so if you get the right ones, you may not even have to ship it back. So I've heard...

jedikevin20

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jedikevin20

My vornado finally came in today. Definitely what I was going for. I had been using 3 10 in fans purchased from walmart, and a ceiling fan to get the airflow I needed. Those 3 junky 10 in fans are now replaced by this vornado. I personally use the fan to blow toward my computer tower as I have 2 120mm fans blowing in on the side. The back vent of the computer is attached to some dryer airduct to a window which is sealed. With this new fan, my cpu temps dropped 3 degrees C which is what I thought it would while also keeping my room at a cool 77 F.

The whole idea with the fan was to get air toward the bottom of my room moving which it has. I really don't care about decibels as I always use fans as white noise. High can be a bit loud but I usually have headphones on or my surround sound so I really never hear it. It does sound similiar to a "old school" box fan on high. (We talkin like 12 years ago box fans that weighed like 5 pounds)

Overall, I'm really satisfied. I had seen many of my college buddies with vornados in their dorm rooms a few years back and how felt so cool in their rooms compared to mine. Overall it was a pretty good deal.

Sincerily,

Another Satisfied Wooter.

airjer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages airjer
faaengr wrote:Does anybody else's box look like it got ran over by a car? Also the front cover wasn't attached and one of the clips is broken.

Yea, mine actually arrived with the top part OPENED. I think woot has hired monkeys with scotch tape for the shipping crew. The fan was not damaged in any way though!

Just what I needed, but definitely isn't "whisper quiet" and I have it on low right now. My office is finally as cool as the rest of the house. It really is a whole room cooler... I placed it in one corner of the room and pointed it diagonally up at the ceiling and feel a very nice breeze. I don't even need the medium/high settings at the moment.

Crrusher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Crrusher

You guys are all lucky, my estimated arrival date is 24 October. watching the films? Is this media mail or something?

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape

Received my two yesterday (Saturday) here in Los Angeles. Came in a big shipping box. Box and content were fine.

As luck would have it, it had been triple digits here in L.A. and now we've dipped to the coolest it's been in months. Still tried them out though and I have no issues with the noise. I live on a busy street and can't even hear these above the street noise. Had them on medium at night and it was just a quiet hum for me.

They do move a lot of air. My lab likes to lie in front of it and block the flow though. Will be great for when it heats up again, which should be in about a week or so!

jeffandmonica

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica

Got mine yesterday, just as the weather has turned cool/cold for the year. Seem to move a lot of air a long distance, can't wait to try them out in the warmer weather coming in 6 months or so. Yes, I know they can be used to help circulate warm air from the ceiling to the floor, but I have ceiling fans for that.

Jeff

Bombared

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bombared

Okay, so mine was supposed to arrive on the 5th, but for some reason they can't find my apartment. I keep getting "Incorrect address" and for some reason "Incorrect address - recipient moved." My next door neighbor (not even the same building or street address) in Unit 2 have moved, but I am Unit 1. The big "1" or "2" on either of the doors kind of give that away. All of my info is 100% correct on my receipt.

Now it says "Awaiting additional delivery information from recipient." I've been trying to figure out how to contact them, and I can't seem to do it.

So can anybody answer either of these questions:

1)How can I contact them and get my stinkin' fan?
2)What happens if the package just gets lost? Refund?

Cowboywooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cowboywooter
Bombared wrote:1)How can I contact them and get my stinkin' fan?

1) I would call 1.800.463.3339 with the tracking number.

2) Think it will be returned to Woot.

Slickpappy

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Slickpappy

Staff

Greetings and Salutations!

I am terribly sorry about your frustration, your FedEx guy is not too bright. If you would like to contact us, please write us at service@woot.com. We will try to respond back as quickly as possible, typically within 24 hours.

If a package just gets lost during transit, either one or two things happens. We will either ship another one to you, if we have it in stock. Or we will refund you the full amount if we don't have it. But, in this case same will happen if we send another one to you. Please write us at service@woot.com if you have another address we can mail it to. You can also try contacting your local FedEx Office to see if they will allow you can make an appointment to pick it up, or just to give the driver the directions to your home.

Bombared wrote:Okay, so mine was supposed to arrive on the 5th, but for some reason they can't find my apartment. I keep getting "Incorrect address" and for some reason "Incorrect address - recipient moved." My next door neighbor (not even the same building or street address) in Unit 2 have moved, but I am Unit 1. The big "1" or "2" on either of the doors kind of give that away. All of my info is 100% correct on my receipt.

Now it says "Awaiting additional delivery information from recipient." I've been trying to figure out how to contact them, and I can't seem to do it.

So can anybody answer either of these questions:

1)How can I contact them and get my stinkin' fan?

buggsy2

quality posts: 8 Private Messages buggsy2

So y'all enjoying your Vornado? Yeah, like others, just when it arrived the temps went from the mid to high 90s to the 70s and low 80s (N. California). Still, I replaced a knock-off, look-alike, brand-x fan in my office with the Vornado. What a difference! Far, far quieter, and the V. moves as much air on low as the brand-x did on high (which I never used because it was horribly loud even on low). Yep, the Vornados really are different. CFD* at work!

*Computational Fluid Dynamics

Crrusher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Crrusher
Crrusher wrote:You guys are all lucky, my estimated arrival date is 24 October. watching the films? Is this media mail or something?

make that 31 Oct now.
At least I will have it in time for Thanksgiving.

Bombared

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bombared
Cowboywooter wrote:1) I would call 1.800.463.3339 with the tracking number.

2) Think it will be returned to Woot.

Called them up, and gave them directions from a main street. Let's see what happens from here!

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007

break off the 2 other clips since they will snap off anyway if you clean the fan once in a while

mboverload

quality posts: 80 Private Messages mboverload

Got my fans a few weeks ago. The clip on ones are definitely better.

Still glad I bought it. Thanks woot.

117 woots and counting, since 2007. Don't ban me, bro!

sreuschle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sreuschle
Bombared wrote:Called them up, and gave them directions from a main street. Let's see what happens from here!

Did you ever get your fan?