ashpeterson22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashpeterson22
JinOh wrote:Very tempted, but the brand and 90 day warranty are my cause for concern. Refurbs at this size and price are becoming more common, more frequently.

All of these tvs have horrible reviews, they all seem to break almost immediately and are replaced by equally bad products.

mmiteshm

quality posts: 133 Private Messages mmiteshm

Amazon review is not promising.it's 2.5/5 stars.

lvalentino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lvalentino

Bought two, lasted less than 30 days. No more Phillips for me.

nickmcmahon

quality posts: 32 Private Messages nickmcmahon

I have this in the 32" version, got it at Wal-Mart for about $398. Its a VERY nice TV, high quality picture, especially with the HDMI. I'd consider getting one of these smaller units if I had a need for one. But I Guess I also should ad that, I bought it new, and not refurb. Although I do have a Refurb DVD player from phillips and it has served me very well without any problems.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost
Leftard wrote:So I'm guessing viewing SD on these at 4:3 would be like watching a 13" regular tv.
Anotherwords, you better be watching HD 16:9 content on these the majority of the time or you'll be watching SD greatly reduced in size.

Yes - that's true of any widescreen TV though. You can letterbox the SD content, stretch it (uggh!), or zoom it and lose some of the image. One day, everything will be widescreen (of course, the "screen" will reside in the chip in your brain, but that's another story).

NightGhost

lvalentino wrote:Bought two, lasted less than 30 days. No more Phillips for me.

I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but Magnavox is made by Philips.

jwhintex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwhintex
SoManyHats wrote:My mom bought the philips tv for my son when it was on here last. Within a week it wouldn't turn on. We contacted the company and they sent us another, with us using that packaging to send the first one back. The second tv lasted three days. I am still waiting on the third tv to get here.

Same here.... DO NOT BUY THIS!!! I cannot believe Woot is still passing this on to all the Wooters out there! They know there's an issue, I got an RMA on my last exchange... Not going for 3rd one like SoManyHats!

JH

JasonFromMN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JasonFromMN

Sounds like the Philips 450D (last one in list) likes to hum while the TV is turned off. See reviews from target here. 199.99 at Target by the way.

mpanelo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mpanelo

I want one but just bought the 23" monitor not too long ago. Wife would erase me.

love, laugh, golf

NightGhost

JasonFromMN wrote:Sounds like the Philips 450D (last one in list) likes to hum while the TV is turned off. See reviews from target here.

My Dad used to do that when I was a kid. Gave me time to make my escape.

Seriously, we've had a 15" Magnavox in our kitchen for 4 years - looks great, no problems.

fatdogreggie1

quality posts: 13 Private Messages fatdogreggie1

I hate to say anything bad against Woot however, I, like many others, made the mistake of purchasing the model 19PFL3403D/27B 19" TV back on October 19th. These televisions have a faulty chip in them that overheats and causes the televisions to fail. Philips customer care is very nice about replacing these however, they replace them with the same model that soon fails again. They are hoping that these last beyond the 90 day warranty so they can rid themselves of these defective models. I am very disappointed in Woot, as they are obviously aware of this problem by now and are still partnering with Philips to con us into purchasing these faulty units. I have been a faithful Wooter for several years now, (having spent thousands of dollars on this site), and I have never felt that I was being cheated. Until now. Basically, I purchased a $150 television that will only last a few months. If I could get a refund on this unit I would gladly pay to ship it back, but I don't think that either Woot nor Philips would be willing to do that. I am very unhappy with this whole situation.

Buyer Beware

gorefiendus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gorefiendus
NightGhost wrote:Sure it's not a Golden? Our Golden looked a lot like that puppy, except it was way cuter, of course.

As the person who photographed the Golden Lab puppy , I'll have to disagree with you about whose puppy is cuter.

Also, Our Movie Genre, Imagine my surprise when i opened Woot! and i see a picture that I've taken. Thanks Woot!

Bootes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Bootes
worldofjohnboy wrote:LOL, this TV reminds me of the episode of "The Office" entitled "Dinner Party." Michael shows off his new "HDTV Plasma TV that he mounted himself to the wall." In reality, it was about a 10" screen TV.

About the only place I can see this working is in the bathroom. I don't spend enough time in there to watch TV.

I have a 19" HDTV that Verizon gave me in my kitchen. I know many people with similarly sized TVs in their dorm rooms.

NightGhost

Bootes wrote:I have a 19" HDTV that Verizon gave me in my kitchen. I know many people with similarly sized TVs in their dorm rooms.

Sure. Good in a kid's room too. Not to mention garage/workshop, etc.

I'd put one on my yacht, but it's only 5 inches stem to stern.

krdove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krdove

Anyone heard if the Magnavox 19MF338B/27B is really a bad idea? I saw pretty good user reviews on it, and need a flat panel tv for my dorm... that I can actually afford. My last tv was a magnavox and it lasted forever...Thoughts?

NightGhost

krdove wrote:Anyone heard if the Magnavox 19MF338B/27B is really a bad idea? I saw pretty good user reviews on it, and need a flat panel tv for my dorm... that I can actually afford. My last tv was a magnavox and it lasted forever...Thoughts?

There have been some poor reviews, some of them mentioned here. Sounds like SquareTrade might be a good idea.

krdove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krdove
NightGhost wrote:There have been some poor reviews, some of them mentioned here. Sounds like SquareTrade might be a good idea.

Good point. I understand the posts about the Phillips 403, but the Magnavox comments on here surprised me. It was just odd because I found 70-odd reviews that were consistently good for this model.

NightGhost

krdove wrote:Good point. I understand the posts about the Phillips 403, but the Magnavox comments on here surprised me. It was just odd because I found 70-odd reviews that were consistently good for this model.

I saw that 2 out of 3 were bad on Amazon, but they were also rather odd:

Amazon

taytay2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages taytay2

DOES IT PLAY 220 VOLTAGE. COULD IT PLAY IN ASIA

mtjacct

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtjacct

Yes - a dismal TV, turned out to be an awful frustrating game of trying to get it to come on and go off; returned it and received the same model and same problem. Ironically I purchased a followup Philips Up-Convert HDMI DVD player when started to only show HDMI in Day-Glo colors; and returned it. I too am a serious Wooter with 50 plus Woots; shocked and amazed that Woot is allowing this to go on. Woot! Philips is dragging you down, ruining your rep, trashing your style....Woot out this evil and destroy it!!!

ivioo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ivioo

Sounds like a good deal if works and doesn't fail like some have said. In the morning I will get my computer and do some more research. It's hard to do this on my phone when I'm 1/2 awake.

Shut up and take my money...again

reddoghunting

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reddoghunting
nickmcmahon wrote:I have this in the 32" version, got it at Wal-Mart for about $398. Its a VERY nice TV, high quality picture, especially with the HDMI. I'd consider getting one of these smaller units if I had a need for one. But I Guess I also should ad that, I bought it new, and not refurb. Although I do have a Refurb DVD player from phillips and it has served me very well without any problems.

Wrong!

AndrewClaycomb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AndrewClaycomb

No energy star rating?

petruzzelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petruzzelli
fatdogreggie1 wrote:I hate to say anything bad against Woot however, I, like many others, made the mistake of purchasing the model 19PFL3403D/27B 19" TV back on October 19th. These televisions have a faulty chip in them that overheats and causes the televisions to fail. Philips customer care is very nice about replacing these however, they replace them with the same model that soon fails again. They are hoping that these last beyond the 90 day warranty so they can rid themselves of these defective models. I am very disappointed in Woot, as they are obviously aware of this problem by now and are still partnering with Philips to con us into purchasing these faulty units. I have been a faithful Wooter for several years now, (having spent thousands of dollars on this site), and I have never felt that I was being cheated. Until now. Basically, I purchased a $150 television that will only last a few months. If I could get a refund on this unit I would gladly pay to ship it back, but I don't think that either Woot nor Philips would be willing to do that. I am very unhappy with this whole situation.

Buyer Beware

Thanks for the heads up. We of the electronically challenged subset appreciate quality posts.

exprophecy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages exprophecy

Question:
Which model is the newest one? Newest as in, the latest released one.

cosmictrucker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cosmictrucker

I'm also somewhat surprised @ Woot for posting these junk TV's.

melhennemann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melhennemann

bought one of these from BUY a month ago...claimed to have been refurbished. Set worked one day / I called Phillips / gave them serial number / they told me set was returned for the same reason (worked one day) by a guy in North Carolina / returned to BUY for full refund / BUY was easy to work with but it was a hassel to repack and then take to a UPS location. No credit recieved yet

unclemuchie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unclemuchie

As soon as I saw REFURB I am staying away. To me Refurb means it had a defect that was corrected. Well the 2 items I bought on Woot that carried this label both had problems. The first was a battery jumper with a dead battery, and the second a floor cleaner with a major crack. If it is on Woot, and Refurb, I run.

mattg293

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mattg293
unclemuchie wrote:As soon as I saw REFURB I am staying away. To me Refurb means it had a defect that was corrected. Well the 2 items I bought on Woot that carried this label both had problems. The first was a battery jumper with a dead battery, and the second a floor cleaner with a major crack. If it is on Woot, and Refurb, I run.

I agree that this TV looks like a bad idea. I just want to say that refurbs in general aren't such a bad idea. It means that yes part of the unit had previously failed, but the defect has been brought to the attention the manufacturer and has been corrected so as not to fail again. That sounds good to me. Plus, I've been rocking a refurb iPod from our very own woot.com for awhile now and haven't had any problems. Just a thought!

napbecki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages napbecki
fatdogreggie1 wrote:I hate to say anything bad against Woot however, I, like many others, made the mistake of purchasing the model 19PFL3403D/27B 19" TV back on October 19th. These televisions have a faulty chip in them that overheats and causes the televisions to fail. Philips customer care is very nice about replacing these however, they replace them with the same model that soon fails again. They are hoping that these last beyond the 90 day warranty so they can rid themselves of these defective models. I am very disappointed in Woot, as they are obviously aware of this problem by now and are still partnering with Philips to con us into purchasing these faulty units. I have been a faithful Wooter for several years now, (having spent thousands of dollars on this site), and I have never felt that I was being cheated. Until now. Basically, I purchased a $150 television that will only last a few months. If I could get a refund on this unit I would gladly pay to ship it back, but I don't think that either Woot nor Philips would be willing to do that. I am very unhappy with this whole situation.

Buyer Beware

woots return policy does not exist as a new wooter i bought sansa fuze as a gift not realizing that they came without packaging and directions. woot was less than cooperative about this even rude. caveat emptore.

rc529

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rc529
spd2base wrote: From what I've learned over the years being a HDTV geek. The difference between 720P and 1080I/P can only be seen with the naked eye when the screen size is above 32". Hope this helps...also, at 19" 720P is PLENTY for a great picture.

You guys. Seriously. Get with the HD trend, and know the facts. "720" and "1080" are the widths of the resolution in pixels. So, YES, there IS a difference between the two. Mathematically, 1080p is [more than] TWICE the resolution of 720p.

720p = 1280x720 (in pixels)
1080i or 1080p = 1920x1080 (in pixels)

1280 x 720 = 921, 600 pixels (~1MP)
1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels (~2MP)

2,073,600 / 921, 600 = 2.25

So, 1080p contains 2 and a quarter times the resolution of a 720p screen.

I've upgraded laptops this year, and I went from a 1280x768 (better than 720p) to my current 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution screen, and the difference is INCREDIBLE. (well, technically, two and a quarter times better.)

P.S. the "p" stands for progressive and the "i" stands for interlaced. Progressive is better. Trust me, it just is.

Ummwhat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ummwhat
JasonFromMN wrote:Sounds like the Philips 450D (last one in list) likes to hum while the TV is turned off. See reviews from target here. 199.99 at Target by the way.

Philips has a firmware update that is supposed to fix that humming when in standby. The update can be found at Here

And you would be???

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer

If you prefer to save money rather than buying ten TVs, I recommend a monoprice HDMI switch

or you can choose your HDMI switch if the one above isn't what you want.

Why you would ever have that many HDMI devices to a 19" TV is beyond me, but the fiancee still has a small 20" TV in her main living room. I think she is ruining my eyes for having such a small TV.

skitzoette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skitzoette

I got one of these a couple of WO's ago.
It fits nicely in my small guest bedroom.
The picture quality is crisp,and made pumpkin pie look even more delicious.

I would purchase another one if I needed another TV.

I'd get one for the kitchen,but I know better than to watch horror in there.

Giffstone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Giffstone

Excellent to mount in the little boy's executive office across from the throne so I so I don't miss the stock crawler or the patriots going for it on 4th and 2

Alan69

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Alan69
gorefiendus wrote:As the person who photographed the Golden Lab puppy , I'll have to disagree with you about whose puppy is cuter.

What really counts is that in 6 months or a year yours will be a much better dog.. They don't stay puppies for long.

And Philips + Refurb = Terrible, just too bad of a reputation to even touch something like that..

ktappe

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ktappe
Giffstone wrote:Excellent to mount in the little boy's executive office across from the throne so I so I don't miss the stock crawler or the patriots going for it on 4th and 2

The Patriots going for it on 4th & 2 I understand, but who uses stock crawlers anymore when you can get instant quotes online without waiting for your symbol(s) to go by?

rbenjami

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbenjami

Do any of these have an alarm timer? That is, a clock setting where you can set the TV to turn on at a certain time each morning? I have an old Sony that I use now as an alarm clock and it seems this feature doesn't exist on may new sets. I use the sleep timer at night to fall asleep and the "on timer" to turn it on in the morning to wake me up.

o19263

quality posts: 0 Private Messages o19263

bought one of these last time and worked for a day... anyone know if we can return and how?

vetmari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vetmari

Here's helpful info on the common problems for the 9PFL3403D (and apparently the others) from a user review at Cnet

Pros: Great picture, good sound. The five band adjustable sound EQ is very nice.
Cons: Most of these televisions do not work properly. To date, it seems no one has figured out the problem. Until now...
Summary: BUT I HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM. You see, the video processor is mounted under a shield "can" on the mainboard. It gets very hot during normal operation and will cause the set to shut down, squeal through the speakers, not turn on after a few hours and so forth.

All of this can be mitigated by removing the shield can (shhh, don't tell the FCC!) and installing a small 12VDC fan to the heatsink. I used self-drilling screws, taking care to remove all aluminum bits with a few blasts of compressed air. #6 screws fit perfectly between the fins on the heatsink. 12V is available on the main board (it is actually labeled on the power supply). Note that the 12V drops to 11.4V when the set is turned "off", so the fan runs continuously. If you buy a quiet ball bearing type you will likely never hear it running. If it's still too loud, install a 10 ohm 2W resistor inline with the positive lead of the fan. It will run more slowly, but still move adequate air. Cover the resistor in heat shrink tubing (and shrink it) to avoid shorts to the mainboard.