Doc2rscott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Doc2rscott

No more Blue versions

farawaydeb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages farawaydeb
EdTerrific wrote:New one for sale via deals.woot...same price.

Wrong. It's a link back to these refurbished ones.

farawaydeb

atkinson217 wrote:I just caught up on Castle, Fringe and Lie to Me on mine...

How do you do that?

gridout

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gridout

Does it have V1 or V2 firmware?
In other words, will it work with RockBox?

astron7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astron7
xazothia wrote:What's the lifespan of a refurbish Sansa? I'm thinking of actually buying this one, but I don't want to if it's gonna die in a year.

I have had mine for a year or there about. The only problem I have had is with the ear bud jack getting loose (After I dropped it on cement on the ear bud plug) Battery life remains very good as I can watch 2 to 3 videos before recharging.

n1lla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n1lla
napbecki wrote:di you try drying it out. saw this video that says put it in a bowl of dry rice for a day or two. have never tried it personally but a family member tried it on a cell phone and it worked. a cheap fix. hope this helps.

I accidently washed my Creative Muvo once. I let it dry out for a week before powering it on and it is still ticking.

Working in the electronics manufacturing industry they usually wash the boards as part of the process to remove flux residue. Its predominantly safe (depending on the components on the board) as long as there is no power applied to the circuit. Not sure with the integrated battery. The Muvo differs as it has a removable battery.

I am seriously mulling over getting one of these Sansa Fuze players to replace the aforementioned Muvo. It still works but is from years ago and is only 1GB so i have swap files on it frequently (yes, i am that lazy). Wish i knew if it was a V1. Also apprehensive about getting a refurb 'lemon'.

farawaydeb

Doc2rscott wrote:No more Blue versions

Rats. I already have a 2GB black one and a clip black one. Only reason I would've bought one would've been to get blue. Now I'm blue. LOL

bfotk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bfotk
dbspanks wrote:No you can not.

Yes you can record the FM feed.

Artlessgrace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Artlessgrace
dviglino wrote:Ok, so I've been looking for a media player since my loved iaudio u2 endured The Strangers (2008) the bed (it was pretty rugged, though). I'm looking at this and the sansa clip. The refurbished kinda worries me, though I'm willing to take a risk.

My question is... since the video capability seems to be nerfed, what benefits are there of this over the clip, if any?

Honestly, I have had this player, bought refurbished from woot last summer as an accessory to a birthday present. It came looking brand new, I've never had any problems with it. I do wish that a wall charger had been included (but as a paper-ridden college student, I usually am riveted to my computer enough for charging not to be an issue). I charge it once every two or three days. I took this thing to Africa, dropped it, tossed it, had it slip out of my pocket and be dragged along the road, and its still working just fine.

This is my second mp3 player by SanDisk (first one crapped out after 3 years of heavy use), and honestly, I'm surprised at some of the bad reviews.

Benefits: Cheap.

-Create playlists easily. Find the player in windows explorer, open up your music folder, select all the music you want in the playlist, then right click > "Create Playlist". Name it, and done.

-Supports my 8 gb SDHC card.

-It appears that it automatically updates its firmware if your computer is connected to the internet (because sometimes when I unplug it, it tells me so. I do not recall installing the firmware updater either, I probably did).

-Very simple to transfer music, just use explorer (unless you want to transfer videos, and that's pretty simple with the app that I got off their website).

-I can read the english subtitles of my converted videos. My eyes are 20/20 and 20/35.

Two other things:
-Buy a case, I have a cheap clear hard case I got off of amazon (I drop it alot, so this was important).
-It's shiny.
-I do not know if this thing works with a mac.

Moo?

Artlessgrace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Artlessgrace
jarvolt wrote:Does anyone know if this has the same pitch problem that the Sansa Clip has? I know I'm kind of picky, but this will determine whether or not I'm getting this. (I actually own a Clip I got on Woot, and the pitch difference was enough for me to take notice. It's a shame I only found out about it after the fact.)

I tested this by putting my LG voyager on it's lowest volume setting, holding the phone to my left ear and plugging in one earbud from the sansa into my right. And then I poked them until they played "Viva La Vida" simultaneously.

Its pretty on point, pitch of sound from either device was indistinguishable.

Moo?

dwasifar

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dwasifar
retnavycpo wrote:You can add a microSD to the player, and double the memory. Outstanding deal.

Yes, but...

The player rescans the microSD every time it boots. At least mine does. It's a minor annoyance. I get around it by never turning it off, and leaving it connected to the power cable when I'm not carrying it with me.

Otherwise, Sansa players = major win. Helluva value.

dwasifar

Artlessgrace wrote:I do wish that a wall charger had been included (but as a paper-ridden college student, I usually am riveted to my computer enough for charging not to be an issue).

Try one of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6237

clintmills

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clintmills
bowlingb wrote:link or product number? I wasn't able to locate by searching for Sansa Fuze.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125131&cm_re=sansa_fuze_8_gb-_-55-125-131-_-Product

click on show all combo deals and choose car charger. Its a referb also but you save a couple buck for getting the charger, not sure why.

Eastwood28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eastwood28

I got one of these refurbs 4Giggers a couple of months ago, and I'm glad I did.

That said, for those new to the game, I would say "Don't do the refurb--get one new." I know that's easier said than done (especially for someone not gonna help you out on the $$$), but if I could go back, I would've gone New. That said, I would've never known the positive of this over my E280, so I guess I wuold've done the same thing. BUT, hopefully, you will hear me and just buy a new one. Have I said "Go new" enough?

Reasons for my mantra is this thing shuts off/freezes daily, the audio un-synchs while watching a movie (though that could just be a Fuze thing).

All that said, I guess for $35, it'd be okay to test-drive this thing BUT if you don't have test-drive money, I'd say flip for a new.

bhcompy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages bhcompy
djbowyer wrote: If Rockbox can't support Fuze V2, then maybe Rockbox should be modified so that it can. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

It's more than just a simple fix it. New firmware and hardware for the V2 that the Rockbox team hasn't been able to reverse engineer just yet

flyfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyfan

I got the 2GB version from woot back in December. I completely love it and if I hadn't just bought a new laptop two days ago I would be all over this offer.

Best call was getting a protective skin for mine from RadioShack. Also for me, the SlotRadio Billboard cards are a great bonus, since I don't have time to do a ton of downloading/ripping/synching of songs.

laurien

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurien

[quote postid="3836520" user="Eastwood28"

Reasons for my mantra is this thing shuts off/freezes daily, the audio un-synchs while watching a movie (though that could just be a Fuze thing).

All that said, I guess for $35, it'd be okay to test-drive this thing BUT if you don't have test-drive money, I'd say flip for a new.[/quote]

Did you check to see if it was running the latest firmware? I have two of the 2gig models sold in January and neither was running the latest firmware. I had several freezes, esp when forwarding songs, but after upgrading to the latest firmware have had no issues.

Also, for those looking for a skin with clip and band, I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001BZUC9C/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2X611LEQI9ZC1&v=glance

It fits pretty well and makes me feel like it is much more protected. The clip is cheap, but the band has worked as advertised. For 3 bucks with free shipping, what more could I ask?

3dim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3dim

I bought the 2 meg version a while back. Everything works as promised except the routine for upgrading the firmware and the Fuze photo conversion. I have downloaded and run the recommended software several times and after it connects to the internet, it tells me the software failed. Running W7 on a 64-bit machine. Is this why?

skifree772003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skifree772003

Is this hard rive based or no?

ad5smith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ad5smith
yeawuteva wrote:can you save songs from the FM tuner onto the MP3 player?

yes you can

"Time flies like the wind, but fruit flies like bananas"

dwasifar

skifree772003 wrote:Is this hard rive based or no?

No. It uses flash memory.

ad5smith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ad5smith

i bought the black one a couple months ago- love it

"Time flies like the wind, but fruit flies like bananas"

jth709

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jth709
dwasifar wrote:Yes, but...

The player rescans the microSD every time it boots. At least mine does. It's a minor annoyance. I get around it by never turning it off, and leaving it connected to the power cable when I'm not carrying it with me.

I'm not sure why, but I do not have this problem. It refreshes the file list every time I disconnect it from my PC, but I only charge mine once every few weeks. In between those times I have never seen the refreshing file list screen at power up.

shelby61

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shelby61

Is there any way to hook this up to car audio so I don't have to carry cds on long trips?

GregoryLikesCheapStu

quality posts: 13 Private Messages GregoryLikesCheapStu
shelby61 wrote:Is there any way to hook this up to car audio so I don't have to carry cds on long trips?

As long as your car stereo has some type of input method. Mine has a standard 1/8th audio input. I purchased an 1/8th to 1/8th (male both sides) cable from Radioshack. Just plug the headphone output of the Fuze into the input on the stereo.

If your car doesn't have such an input but has a cassette player you can purchase a cassette-to-1/8" adapter at Bestbuy.

If your car doesn't have that those but has a radio tuner, you can purchase an 1/8"-to-FM radio transmitter.

Any of the three can be purchased at any electronics store/section. (Radioshack, Best Buy, Walmart, ect.)

*Note that the packaging will likely refer to it as 3.5mm, not 1/8". It's the same thing, 3.5mm is just more accurate. I'm just not smart enough to go metric. :p

Hellga

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Hellga

How does the weight compare to the e200 series? I like a bit of heft to my electronics, so I don't really want to buy this if it's going to be light like the Clip :-/

shelby61

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shelby61
GregoryLikesCheapStu wrote:As long as your car stereo has some type of input method. Mine has a standard 1/8th audio input. I purchased an 1/8th to 1/8th (male both sides) cable from Radioshack. Just plug the headphone output of the Fuze into the input on the stereo.

If your car doesn't have such an input but has a cassette player you can purchase a cassette-to-1/8" adapter at Bestbuy.

If your car doesn't have that those but has a radio tuner, you can purchase an 1/8"-to-FM radio transmitter.

Any of the three can be purchased at any electronics store/section. (Radioshack, Best Buy, Walmart, ect.)

*Note that the packaging will likely refer to it as 3.5mm, not 1/8". It's the same thing, 3.5mm is just more accurate. I'm just not smart enough to go metric. :p

Thank you for the great advise!

JohnWooten

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JohnWooten

I posted earlier I got a couple of these and they work fine; about the only thing I forgot to mention was that I was a little disappointing was the FM reception- my Zen Vision M has much better FM reception. But it still works well enough, and I didn't buy it for the FM, I bought it for the sake that you can play the thing forever before you need to charge it.

Lotsa stuff...

flyfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyfan
Hellga wrote:How does the weight compare to the e200 series? I like a bit of heft to my electronics, so I don't really want to buy this if it's going to be light like the Clip :-/

Mine has about double the bulk of my husband's clip+

dakotahsmorgan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dakotahsmorgan

I purchased one of these this morning... but when I did so, I forgot to enter my billing address so the transaction didn't process correctly. I have no order for this process but the charge still shows up in my bank transactions list. I recreated the transaction before looking at my bank account and used the right billing address and it processed correctly. How can I contact the almighty Woot to get my $35 back?

fussybits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fussybits
jth709 wrote:I'm not sure why, but I do not have this problem. It refreshes the file list every time I disconnect it from my PC, but I only charge mine once every few weeks. In between those times I have never seen the refreshing file list screen at power up.

Mine refreshes only when it starts up in MSC mode, but not when it's on a recharging adapter or booted on Rockbox. I've set Rockbox to refresh in the background. I can't explain why the Sansa firmware requires MSC refresh on the card memory, and this woot will end before I can play more with reboots. Guess this is more of an issue for a Sansa or Rockbox forum, anyway.

atkinson217

quality posts: 9 Private Messages atkinson217
farawaydeb wrote:How do you do that?

1. I'm going to assume you already have the file you want to watch. How you get it is up to you.

2. If you use the default fuze firmware, use video4fuze (freeware) to convert your movie. If you use rockbox, use WinFF (freeware) to convert your video file. Both are simple to use and much more versatile than the official Sansa Media Converter.

3. Transfer the converted file to your fuze.

4. Enjoy.

For more specifics, there are lots of forums and how-to's regarding this. All you need is some time with google. When you get it figured out, it takes only a few steps and is pretty quick.

cwalkerjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwalkerjr
Celes247 wrote:I tested a different Sansa Sandisk model - it had a metal backing. It was positive for lead. So, if this also has the metal backing, I would not buy it for children.

no metal backing here - back is rubbery-covered plastic.

C. Walker, Jr.

cwalkerjr

dbspanks wrote:No you can not.

you certainly are allowed to record radio onto the device.

WHILE USING THE RADIO:

Menu (down on the circle)

scroll down to recording

click right to select yes

C. Walker, Jr.

cwalkerjr

dakotahsmorgan wrote:I purchased one of these this morning... but when I did so, I forgot to enter my billing address so the transaction didn't process correctly. I have no order for this process but the charge still shows up in my bank transactions list. I recreated the transaction before looking at my bank account and used the right billing address and it processed correctly. How can I contact the almighty Woot to get my $35 back?

All thine answers lie at the bottom of yon page..

(wooooOOOOOOOO00000000ooooo.....)

C. Walker, Jr.

onefuncapt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onefuncapt

Not sure I understand this memory card thing. How can you download your own tunes? Is there any software involved, like iTunes or something?

coolbiker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coolbiker
retnavycpo wrote:I have two of these players, and this price is WELL worth it. You can add a microSD to the player, and double the memory. Outstanding deal.

So can I only put another 4 gigs . It says it supports sdhc micro sd chip.

Any idea also what quality can the player do?

GregoryLikesCheapStu

onefuncapt wrote:Not sure I understand this memory card thing. How can you download your own tunes? Is there any software involved, like iTunes or something?

I'm not entirely sure if you are referring to the Slot Radio or general music storage so here's the answer to both:

You don't need any specific software. You can put music on the device using any file manager (copy and pasting between folders in Windows Explorer for example). If you wish you can use software such as Windows Media Player, Rhapsody and so on. However, it's not necessary.

If referring to Slot Radio, it's just a memory card with 1000 preloaded songs. Insert the card into the SD slot and they can be listened to.

However, to transfer videos (and some image types) you need to use software such as Sansa Media Converter, Video4Fuze, FuzeVidz, ect.

GregoryLikesCheapStu

coolbiker wrote:So can I only put another 4 gigs . It says it supports sdhc micro sd chip.

Any idea also what quality can the player do?

The largest I know of people using is a 16GB card. Works fine, but I suggest buying only Sandisk cards. People on the Sansa forums have found other brands can be quirky.

alwhitmore

quality posts: 7 Private Messages alwhitmore
clintmills wrote:New egg has a 8Gig Sansa Fuze combo deal for $47 with a car charger. Worth it, especially with the free shipping they offer.

Just got a car charger for $5 at TJMAXX.