PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Turken wrote:oh. you're right. It is getting to be about that time. too bad I gotta get some real work done this afternoon.

Is cruzer still around? maybe he can just go ahead and start the new PWA thread, and we can wrap this one up a little early?

I second the motion!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
Gatzby wrote:Can we just move into setting her on fire?

oh hell yeah! *evil laugh*

//smack daj

cruzer

Turken wrote:oh. you're right. It is getting to be about that time. too bad I gotta get some real work done this afternoon.

Is cruzer still around? maybe he can just go ahead and start the new PWA thread, and we can wrap this one up a little early?

I may not be around but I am pretty round.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

What is the difference between Pot Roast and Roast Beef, when they are both served hot with some brown gravy/juice.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

contemplating trying one of those KFC Double Down "sandwiches" for lunch today. Hilarious how the internet is all up in arms about it, running around like it's the end of the world and we're all doomed to turn into obese blobs from the mere existence of such a food item.

umm... Chicken Cordon Bleu anyone? Been around for ages. Only difference being that you eat those off a plate instead of a paper sandwich wrapper.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
Turken wrote:contemplating trying one of those KFC Double Down "sandwiches" for lunch today. Hilarious how the internet is all up in arms about it, running around like it's the end of the world and we're all doomed to turn into obese blobs from the mere existence of such a food item.

umm... Chicken Cordon Bleu anyone? Been around for ages. Only difference being that you eat those off a plate instead of a paper sandwich wrapper.

Gonna get the regular or grilled?

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Turken wrote:contemplating trying one of those KFC Double Down "sandwiches" for lunch today. Hilarious how the internet is all up in arms about it, running around like it's the end of the world and we're all doomed to turn into obese blobs from the mere existence of such a food item.

And generally you don't have a bag of salt on them.

I don't like Chicken Cordon Bleu and I'm not crazy about KFC, so I guess it's not an issue for me.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
kdccrosby wrote:What is the difference between Pot Roast and Roast Beef, when they are both served hot with some brown gravy/juice.

Should be different cuts of meat, and much different cooking methods. Pot roast should be a shoulder or chuck roast, sear the outside, then put in the oven with vegetables and tubers in a covered pan, cook low and slow.

Roast beef should be an end cut of rump roast, seared, then cooked dry, so the drippings go through the meat and into a pan below it (ie, the meat never sits in the juices).

Pot roast is usually a tougher cut, so the cooking in juice tenderizes the meat. Roast beef is cut thin, across the grain, to achieve tenderness.

Either way, yes, lump of cooked cow.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Turken

KtCallista wrote:And generally you don't have a bag of salt on them.

I don't like Chicken Cordon Bleu and I'm not crazy about KFC, so I guess it's not an issue for me.

well, the salt depends on whether you make it for real from scratch, or if you eat one of the pre-processed frozen "hamsters" from the grocery store.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
Mavyn wrote:Should be different cuts of meat, and much different cooking methods. Pot roast should be a shoulder or chuck roast, sear the outside, then put in the oven with vegetables and tubers in a covered pan, cook low and slow.

Roast beef should be an end cut of rump roast, seared, then cooked dry, so the drippings go through the meat and into a pan below it (ie, the meat never sits in the juices).

Pot roast is usually a tougher cut, so the cooking in juice tenderizes the meat. Roast beef is cut thin, across the grain, to achieve tenderness.

Well... what they called roast beef, was thick and too chewy, just like their pot roast. So... I'm gonna say it was the same thing, but without carrots, which I don't like anyway!

they tried to fool me. hmmph.

Edit: thanks Mayvn!!

avosgo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avosgo

I don't think KFC is all that bad however, I do wonder why so many do get up in arms over it. I remember about 18 months ago when they introduced the grilled chicken and gave out coupons for 1 free meal to try it. It turned into such a frenzy they had to stop offering the freebies after I believe maybe 5 days or so? Then they paid for a commercial to air apologizing for the fact they could not honor said coupon.

cruzer

Mavyn wrote:Should be different cuts of meat, and much different cooking methods. Pot roast should be a shoulder or chuck roast, sear the outside, then put in the oven with vegetables and tubers in a covered pan, cook low and slow.

This probably doesn't help much, but:

of course it gets cut off:
Linky!

[Mod: Fixed size]

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Turken wrote:well, the salt depends on whether you make it for real from scratch, or if you eat one of the pre-processed frozen "hamsters" from the grocery store.

I'm guessing the frozen version varies just a wee bit from the original dish. I'm also guessing that the original recipe wasn't marketed as a readily-accessible daily lunch item for the busy French knight on-the-go.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

KtCallista

avosgo wrote:I don't think KFC is all that bad however, I do wonder why so many do get up in arms over it. I remember about 18 months ago when they introduced the grilled chicken and gave out coupons for 1 free meal to try it. It turned into such a frenzy they had to stop offering the freebies after I believe maybe 5 days or so? Then they paid for a commercial to air apologizing for the fact they could not honor said coupon.

Because people are really really scary!!!!!

Mavyn

kdccrosby wrote:Well... what they called roast beef, was thick and too chewy, just like their pot roast. So... I'm gonna say it was the same thing, but without carrots, which I don't like anyway!

they tried to fool me. hmmph.

Edit: thanks Mayvn!!

I've been a few places that do that--sell cubed pot roast on a roast beef sandwich. I send it back and complain.

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:I've been a few places that do that--sell cubed pot roast on a roast beef sandwich. I send it back and complain.

For some reason the cut of meet chosen for roast and pot roast triggers my gag reflex. I've never really found a way around it. I can eat the thin sliced roast (like sandwich thin), but that's it. . . I generally avoid roast in public, just in case. . . .

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

KtCallista wrote:For some reason the cut of meet chosen for roast and pot roast triggers my gag reflex. I've never really found a way around it. I can eat the thin sliced roast (like sandwich thin), but that's it. . . I generally avoid roast in public, just in case. . . .

You must be pleasant dinner company

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

KtCallista

ThunderThighs wrote:You must be pleasant dinner company

I avoid roast. It's the only thing that does it. I have no idea why.

Although if I didn't like steak so well I would be tempted to go 100% vegetarian.

cruzer

KtCallista wrote: I avoid roast. It's the only thing that does it. I have no idea why.

Although if I didn't like steak so well I would be tempted to go 100% vegetarian.

as a meatatarian, I think you're weird!

avosgo

KtCallista wrote: I avoid roast. It's the only thing that does it. I have no idea why.

What about chicken?! :D

KtCallista

avosgo wrote:What about chicken?! :D

Over-rated, and I prefer dark meat cuts. Do not like chicken breast in general, but can eat it. Wouldn't miss it.

Used to raise pigs. I've eaten more pork products in my life. . . . .

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
avosgo wrote:What about chicken?! :D

i rather doubt she'd be tempted to go 100% chickentarian.

Mavyn

Prepared right, most cuts of meat are acceptable...but in small portions. I prefer to have meat maybe 2-3 times a week, from any source, and ideally fish and poultry make up most of those.

KtCallista

no1 wrote:i rather doubt she'd be tempted to go 100% chickentarian.

Especially since I don't care for chicken that much.

I do like our couple times a year turkey, and the occasional other poultry/fowl.

I have relatives that are vegetarian and there are many vegheads in this town, I do know what I'd be getting into. That said, I'm not going vegetarian, so don't panic. I like to not have every meal requiring meat and we do that, most of the time.

Heck, neither Orc nor I really care for fish, but we eat it for the Vers. They love it.

avosgo

Funny and random story about pigs...Did anyone know there are wild boar running through Southern Florida? My mother was explaning to me how they racked up a considerable car repair bill when driving on the highway a few weeks back. A wild boar came running down the highway at my parents car and collided head on with it! I could not help but completely ROFL as I pictured the situation.

On top of that, when they were pulled over on the side of the highway, no one would stop to check on them...reason being? Yes, they drive a Prius!

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Howdy, gang!

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

KtCallista

avosgo wrote:Funny and random story about pigs...Did anyone know there are wild boar running through Southern Florida? My mother was explaning to me how they racked up a considerable car repair bill when driving on the highway a few weeks back. A wild boar came running down the highway at my parents car and collided head on with it! I could not help but completely ROFL as I pictured the situation.

On top of that, when they were pulled over on the side of the highway, no one would stop to check on them...reason being? Yes, they drive a Prius!

I had no problem getting roadside help when I blew the tire on LMR's Prius last summer. And I was in a redneck area.

Yes, I did know about the wild boars in the Southern US. They were imported for hunting farms (for lack of a better word). Some escaped and some were intentionally released to make for a better hunting experience. Some are theorized to have been brought over by original explorers as well.

A pig's skull is very think and can take quite a beating. If they hit head on, that would be a great deal of damage.

Never shoot a pig in the forehead, the bullet might not penetrate and there is a good chance for it to come back at you!

avosgo

AZGman wrote:Howdy, gang!

Hello, Gman, er, AZ, er AZGman!

KtCallista

Hi Gman

oooo almost lunch time!

Mavyn

avosgo wrote:Funny and random story about pigs...Did anyone know there are wild boar running through Southern Florida? My mother was explaning to me how they racked up a considerable car repair bill when driving on the highway a few weeks back. A wild boar came running down the highway at my parents car and collided head on with it! I could not help but completely ROFL as I pictured the situation.

There are wild pigs here, as well (SoCal). They're pretty shy and tend to run before you get close. But, a pig is one of the worst animals to hit in terms of car damage, because of their short legs. They roll under the car, and can cause it to flip, unlike a longer legged animal like a deer. They're more likely to go up, across the hood and maybe through a windshield.

AZGman

avosgo wrote:Hello, Gman, er, AZ, er AZGman!

Been called 'em all . . . and worse!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

You've changed! I like that better.

You're early today.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

AZGman

Mavyn wrote:There are wild pigs here, as well (SoCal). They're pretty shy and tend to run before you get close. But, a pig is one of the worst animals to hit in terms of car damage, because of their short legs. They roll under the car, and can cause it to flip, unlike a longer legged animal like a deer. They're more likely to go up, across the hood and maybe through a windshield.

This is why I drive a steamroller!!!

AZGman

ThunderThighs wrote:You've changed! I like that better.

You're early today.

One stop for gas and then home.

Just finished lunch.

Turken

And back from lunch.

Went ahead and tried the KFC thing. Verdict: meh.

I dunno if it was just my particular sandwich or what, but the chicken "buns" were very large and scalding hot. Had to let it sit in the wrapper for several minutes before I could even pick it up, by which time all the steam caused the crispy breading to turn kinda mushy. And there was so much chicken, the bacon and cheese were pretty much lost and didn't really add anything to the experience.

So, end result is that it's not really all that different than just eating a really really big chicken strip.

Worst part is that from sitting in the restaurant while eating, I now have the smell of old frying oil lingering about my person. Between the oil smell and the overdose of (salty!) chicken, my stomach is starting to feel a bit unsettled. I think I may be regretting lunch for the rest of the day.

avosgo

Mavyn wrote:There are wild pigs here, as well (SoCal). They're pretty shy and tend to run before you get close. But, a pig is one of the worst animals to hit in terms of car damage, because of their short legs. They roll under the car, and can cause it to flip, unlike a longer legged animal like a deer. They're more likely to go up, across the hood and maybe through a windshield.

I'm sure regionally, it's common and residents get used to the wildlife and what to look out for. We have deer, which don't usually cause THAT much damage, it's the MOOSE that we have to look out for! Quite a while ago, there used to be signs that said, "Brake for Moose, it could save your life. ### of collisons." Then the signs were changed to "Hundreds of collisons." They redid them again not to long ago to "thousands"!

AZGman

Turken wrote:And back from lunch.

I dunno if it was just my particular sandwich or what, but the chicken "buns" were very large and scalding hot. Had to let it sit in the wrapper for several minutes before I could even pick it up, by which time all the steam caused the crispy breading to turn kinda mushy. And there was so much chicken, the bacon and cheese were pretty much lost and didn't really add anything to the experience.

So, end result is that it's not really all that different than just eating a really really big chicken strip.

Worst part is that from sitting in the restaurant while eating, I now have the smell of old frying oil lingering about my person. Between the oil smell and the overdose of (salty!) chicken, my stomach is starting to feel a bit unsettled. I think I may be regretting lunch for the rest of the day.

"And there was so much chicken, the bacon and cheese were pretty much lost and didn't really add anything to the experience."

I was wondering about this part when I first saw the commercial.

KtCallista

avosgo wrote:I'm sure regionally, it's common and residents get used to the wildlife and what to look out for. We have deer, which don't usually cause THAT much damage, it's the MOOSE that we have to look out for! Quite a while ago, there used to be signs that said, "Brake for Moose, it could save your life. ### of collisons." Then the signs were changed to "Hundreds of collisons." They redid them again not to long ago to "thousands"!

Uh yeah, don't want to hit a moose. Sounds like the road is in a bad place! Must be a great moose territory if they keep moving back in too.

I've seen elk damage that is rather substantial, especially when they attack a truck. We don't have too many moose vehicle collisions that I know of, but then getting a moose tag here is a once in a lifetime event.

KtCallista

Turken wrote:And back from lunch.

Sounds about how I thought it would be. I hope you have some tums.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Hi folks.