elastictango

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elastictango

It seems like the dying-on-the-dock problem can be dealt with by rebooting the rovio every 2-3 days. I've been doing that for about a week now, and it's been working great.

chaley0803

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chaley0803
prsndwg wrote:i just got my sold item returned for this battery story. sigh

Just sent out 2 in the last few days... guess I can look forward to the same thing. Thinking about opening up the other one and testing it out, getting the new battery and all that.. wont be able to sell it as new... but will be able to sell it as WORKING lol..

Massive Overkill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Massive Overkill

New version of RovioDirect:

http://www.robocommunity.com/download/17250/RovioDirect/;jsessionid=40F36724C41CF63A353C09328B43E345

New tool to adjust contrast/brightness:

My Rovio now shows near realtime quality, I can actually turn my lights off:

http://www.robocommunity.com/download/17526/RovioBrighter/

I'm using this hexidcemal to decimal converter to figure out what value to use:

http://easycalculation.com/hex-converter.php

I settled on 37 for brightness and 78 for contrast

DGX

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DGX

Has anyone actually received a replacement battery and/or charger? I was told I would be sent one after I faxed the receipt to WowWee. Since then they will not return my calls or emails.

tjbo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjbo
DGX wrote:Has anyone actually received a replacement battery and/or charger? I was told I would be sent one after I faxed the receipt to WowWee. Since then they will not return my calls or emails.

I emailed WowWee and attached a copy of the receipt. About 3 days later I received a confirmation saying that I will be receiving a replacement adapter when the next shipment goes out. Hopefully I'll be seeing it next week.

borednerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages borednerd
the1spicymeatbal wrote:I was also having battery issues. I charged up my battery using a hobby charger, and now I get easily an hour of run-time. However, the rovio CANNOT find it's way back home. I've tried everything there is to try. It can't replay any paths either. Something is wrong with the navigation feature on mine.

An hour?? You're lucky. After opening the box and letting it charge over night I get under a minute of runtime. Yes, a minute.

WowWee's support is non-existent. I've called them many, many times, emailed them. After a month they sent me a new power adapter which, of course, does not make the battery hold it's charge any longer than the first one.

I explained to them that it was a battery issue, they ignored that when they sent the wrong part.

Really, really fakon.

mikehell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mikehell

Recieved my new powerpack this weekend. Hasn't made any difference whatsoever.

I've got a very similar pack (same mfg, etc) that outputs 12vdc. The charging base has a lm317t voltage regulator in it. I'm thinkin' of tying the 12v. Tired of waiting on WowWee to make things right.

textommyboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages textommyboy

Just received my replacement power adaptor and it's identical to the original one: 8V @ 2.6A. So most likely it won't help with the charging issue since it seems like it's not pushing enough juice. I guess I'll just grab a stronger charger from Radio Shack like others are doing. Oh well - WowWee support is definitely in the toilet!

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 125 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

We are aware that WowWee is still not really working with our customers (at least not consistently or timely). We do not have any chargers, nor do we really have any more replacements available- but please do contact us if you're giving up and would prefer to return it to us for a refund.

We're really sorry about the problems we seem to be having with them.

silversalute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silversalute
agingdragqueen wrote:We are aware that WowWee is still not really working with our customers (at least not consistently or timely). We do not have any chargers, nor do we really have any more replacements available- but please do contact us if you're giving up and would prefer to return it to us for a refund.

We're really sorry about the problems we seem to be having with them.

Thanks for the update... They are supposed to be sending me a charger. If this does not work (and I'm fairly certain that it won't), I'll see if they have anymore brilliant ideas to get it going. How much time do I have before I can't RMA it?

Man, I bet the WowWee salesman really schmoozed one of your buyers for this to have happened...

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0123456789
silversalute wrote:Thanks for the update... They are supposed to be sending me a charger. If this does not work (and I'm fairly certain that it won't), I'll see if they have anymore brilliant ideas to get it going. How much time do I have before I can't RMA it?

Man, I bet the WowWee salesman really schmoozed one of your buyers for this to have happened...

FYI:
According to woot support I was told I have 90 days to return the item and that I would need to pay return shipping since it was outside the 10 day window.

Twistedgrim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Twistedgrim
0123456789 wrote:FYI:
According to woot support I was told I have 90 days to return the item and that I would need to pay return shipping since it was outside the 10 day window.

I too am still waiting on a response from WOWWEE. My battery works within reason and so does the rovio but the charger AC unit is dead as a doornail from day 1. Its been 3 weeks since I originally sent my ticket into WOWWEE and I still have not recieved my charger. On the support site it says Shipment Processing for about 10 days now.

TheFaz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheFaz

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Battery life was crap at first but after repeated usage I get about half an hour of use. More than enough for a patrol. I got the headlights for it today and have just been driving it around the basement to test them out. I love my toy!

It's a bummer a few of you had problems as this is a really fun gadget.

Orlanole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Orlanole

To anyone waiting on a charger:

I sent a message to Wowwee shortly after receiving my faulty Rovio. I finally received the charger last week, unfortunately (or fortunately) I returned the Rovio back to Woot about three weeks ago. Now I have a charger with nothing to plug it in to.

If you would like the charger please send me a message and I will send it on.

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett

I haven't had any battery issues...usually, my Rovio will last right at 3 hours off the dock while streaming 640x480 at the highest quality. (That's not 3 hours of driving, it's about 0.1 hours of driving and 2.9 hours of sitting in one spot streaming video...I get bored too easily to try to keep driving the thing for long periods.) I do think there's a firmware problem where the charger stops charging too soon though; within minutes of driving off the dock, the charge is only showing 80%. If I undock & redock after it has finished charging then that doesn't happen and it'll usually run for 3.5 hours on the next outing. Perhaps they're trying to preserve battery life by making sure they don't overcharge or something.

I have had an issue sometimes where within about three minutes of leaving the dock the unit stops streaming video and is completely unresponsive (the open browser just shows a black screen, and after closing that browser I can't connect to it with any browser or RovioDirect) until I physically power it off and then power it back on. During this non-responsive period, however, it is still responding to pings. It's like the web server has crashed, but the unit is still functional. This is with firmware v5.03. Each time this has happened it's been connected via IE8, it's never happened with Firefox or RovioDirect. That could be a coincidence, or it could just be random luck.

Has anybody else seen this issue? I've seen a lot of other issues reported here, but not this one.

davidmcconaghy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcconaghy

The Rovio robot is a piece of garbage.

This item is not ready to be sold and the customer service is no service.

I bought my Rovio and tried to use it after a 8 hour charge. The battery life was only 5 mins. I contacted Woowee and almost a month later they sent me a new wall wart which did nothing.

I have been waiting for almost a month for new batteries so I have decided to return this. I strongly suggest that you stay away from Woowee and their products. I am sure that they were dumping these on Woot hoping to get rid of a few thousand mistakes.

I would love to be part of a class action law suit against Rovio on these defective products. There are hundreds if not thousands of google entries about defective products from Woowee.

I will post after I hear what Woot can do to get this back to the garbage, I mean Woowee,

David Mc

josephansenberger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josephansenberger

Well, I'm still waiting for a power adapter. Have had the thing since the end of march, and haven't even been able to use it yet. I write their customer service weekly only to hear "When a new power adapter is available, we will ship you one."

$100 for a door stopper...

josephansenberger

Orlanole wrote:To anyone waiting on a charger:

I sent a message to Wowwee shortly after receiving my faulty Rovio. I finally received the charger last week, unfortunately (or fortunately) I returned the Rovio back to Woot about three weeks ago. Now I have a charger with nothing to plug it in to.

If you would like the charger please send me a message and I will send it on.

Do you still have this??? I've been waiting on mine since march 30, and they still don't have an ETA.

chacongustavo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chacongustavo

I got mine defective i been trying to reach rovio by phone and noone ever aswers the phone it seems like you can only get in touch with them by internet and its been over 1 month in getting my unit replace. im steel waiting

they sent me a new power adapter and still robot is not working i guess i call it a scam to much money for me to loooosse. bad from Rovio updated on 08/21/2010 any advise?

gustavo

xmadcowx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xmadcowx

I am in the same boat as everyone else. No answer from customer service, no response to my ticket, no emails answered. Just your canned message "we still do not have the item in stock" etc etc.

Well, I finally get sick of it and did some digging. If you want an answer call this guy, he owns the place.

I have called him twice, and both times he has been quite upset where/how I got this information and said he would follow up with my ticket. Within 20minutes, my ticket is updated, but with the same "we don't have this item yet" garbage. Either way. I will be posting his contact information all over the web, this thing is a piece of garbage.

agingdragqueen

Staff

xmadcowx wrote:I am in the same boat as everyone else. No answer from customer service, no response to my ticket, no emails answered. Just your canned message "we still do not have the item in stock" etc etc.

Well, I finally get sick of it and did some digging. If you want an answer call this guy, he owns the place.
I have called him twice, and both times he has been quite upset where/how I got this information and said he would follow up with my ticket. Within 20minutes, my ticket is updated, but with the same "we don't have this item yet" garbage. Either way. I will be posting his contact information all over the web, this thing is a piece of garbage.

If you're still having issues with your Rovio and this guy continues to be no help- can you email into us with a synopsis of the WowWee saga you've been going through? We can try to help you as best we can: service@woot.com.

xmadcowx

agingdragqueen wrote:If you're still having issues with your Rovio and this guy continues to be no help- can you email into us with a synopsis of the WowWee saga you've been going through? We can try to help you as best we can: service@woot.com.

I am really trying not to get you guys involved. But from what I have heard you are more than willing to help. I look at it as, why should you(woot) be stuck with a warehouse full of these things when its Wowee who can't figure out how to make a power supply properly? I have posted this same info elsewhere and was contacted with claims that "wowee wants to resolve your issue". I am going to give them 48 hours to get back to me, if not, I will shoot you an email with everything I have.

Thanks for the heads up.

agingdragqueen

Staff

xmadcowx wrote:I am really trying not to get you guys involved. But from what I have heard you are more than willing to help. I look at it as, why should you(woot) be stuck with a warehouse full of these things when its Wowee who can't figure out how to make a power supply properly? I have posted this same info elsewhere and was contacted with claims that "wowee wants to resolve your issue". I am going to give them 48 hours to get back to me, if not, I will shoot you an email with everything I have.

Thanks for the heads up.

You are sweet, and we certainly appreciate that so many of our customers are so willing to do their best so that we don't get stuck with crap (though the irony in the demands to sell crap is not lost on me). If sent back to us, we would likely start busting knee-caps over at WowWee ourselves, so please do let us know!

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0123456789

FYI:

On April 3rd I opened a ticket about the battery/charger issue.

Yesterday, June 9th, I received my replacement batteries/chargers.

NOTE:

For those who may give up and want to RMA the items to woot I was told (by woot support) there is a 90 day window to return them, which is quickly approaching. You will be responsible for return shipping.

xmadcowx

Still no update from useless Wowwee. The pile of junk still resides on my workbench in the garage. I would return the item to woot, however the headlight I ordered for it (because the sorry excuse for the one it ships with is just that, a sorry excuse) and the extra room tracking devices showed up a few weeks ago. I had forgot about these, but they totaled roughly $100. So to return the unit would gain me nothing.

In case anyone else is having the same issues, here is a guy at Wowwee who would be happy to take your call:

For the record, that is a working number, unlike their "customer service" line. Good luck to everyone in the same boat as I.

josephansenberger

Still waiting... I received my rovio in late march.. I contacted Rovio support to let them know:

1.) won't charge
2.) bad dock (nav signal doesn't work)

waited 3 months, finally went and bought a power supply... It still doesn't work... They refuse to do ANYTHING.. All they keep saying is "we are waiting for the parts".....

Um... Wow.. It's almost been 6 months, and i'm still waiting for a working version of this thing..... Unbelievable.

xmadcowx

So, I did a quick search today since I am celebrating my 3 month anniversary of putting my ticket in with this useless company. Turns out our buddy Steve Hardy, the marketing rep and owner of the wowwee.com domain has gone ahead and changed the whois information which previously contained his contact info.

So anyone trying to track it down, here it is again. Once again, this is a number where you can reach him, as opposed to their direct to voicemail "customer service" line.

[MOD NOTE]: please do not post his information again, he has written in stating:

I manage WowWee’s website (my info was probably pulled from the WHOIS directory) and am not in a position to help callers with Rovio product support. Our Product Support team can more appropriately be reached at customersupport@wowwee.com or 1-800-310-3033.

AJRooks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AJRooks

Ok I ordered a Rovio it was shipped but was not received its been over 3 months and I have heard nothing. I have emailed several times and Im getting very upset and refuse to purchase anything else until this is resolved.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

AJRooks wrote:Ok I ordered a Rovio it was shipped but was not received its been over 3 months and I have heard nothing. I have emailed several times and Im getting very upset and refuse to purchase anything else until this is resolved.

Eeek, sorry about this. Have you checked your spam/junk folders? Our customer service is excellent at answering customer email. I'll send a note to customer service myself. Check your email spam/junk folders and then check your PMs tomorrow for a response. You can get to your PMs by clicking on the envelope at the top-right of the forums window.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dirkame

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dirkame
wootalyzer wrote:Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
WowWee Rovio
$99.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

Anyone know of a place to currently pick one of these up for around this price? I'm looking for one to give as a Christmas present. Thanks!

jcsibauste

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcsibauste

The Rovio robot I bought really was a piece of crap. Never worked correctly. Battery dies after 5 minutes. Now, the pivot wheel doesn't turn anymore....lol It was a complete waste of $99.

stv6669

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stv6669

Yeah mine has been a brick for about a year now. I read some things about replacing the battery, but I am not about to sink another 50$ into it.