silentsnow31802

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silentsnow31802
bradpr wrote:and oh boy! it has deans connectors!!!
What the hell is a deans connector?

It is a type of high current connector mostly used on remote control cars.

http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/ultra_plug.html

wirelessguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wirelessguy

I've read a lot of the comments here and all I've got to say is "now you know why they're only asking $100 for it".

I suppose if you own a cat you might be interested but I think it's mostly hype on this one.

I think that they should sell these to the show producers of Little People and strap HD cameras to them so that network camera men don't sue for being forced to shoot at low angles all day.

Personally I would have liked to have seen hacks like USB missle launchers or paintball gun attachments but seeing that I can't even find anything inventive on YT I'm gonna sit this one out.

tangoboyz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangoboyz

A guy I work with has this and he showed it to us one day. Its pretty sweet and works AWESOME!! It has great manuverabilty around the home and he uses it to check on his kids and pets. Wish I had a extra $100 to spend.... GREAT PRICE, he paid 299 for his..

skywiselh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skywiselh

Friend has the Rovio, I have a Spykee.

The Rovio sounds cool but doesn't deliver or features or reliability and the omni-drive is a cat hair magnet.

My Spykee is primitive in comparison but except for some charger issues (overcharging) it works pretty reliable and the track drive is way less prone to issues compared with the omni-drive. And the limited camera angle was resolved with a $3 "jelly lens".

pedrogammos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pedrogammos
jgmcgowan wrote:I'm a college RA and our entire campus is WiFi covered. Can I just use this from my room to do my rounds around the building, lol.

My sentiments exactly, but one of the residents would totally steal it : (

litelnole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages litelnole

I have owned one of these when it first came out. Beware of the firmware update and if you use a different IP scheme other than 192.168.x.x. Range is not good with lots of furniture but as long as the ceiling is clear, the dock location is very good.

noturbizniss

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noturbizniss
acarlstein wrote:Any ideas of dimensions of this? W x H x L ?

From Wowee's website:

Dimensions:

* Product Height: 13.5 inches (34.29 cm)
* Product Width: 12 inches (30.48 cm)
* Product Depth: 14 inches (35.56 cm)
* Product Weight: 5 lbs (2.3 kg)

Rovio Technical Specs (Scroll Down)

torqu3e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages torqu3e
krysgian wrote:Do you need a static IP for this?

You should be able to get away by using DynDNS.org or something on those lines.

ma501guy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ma501guy

THAT is hysterical! YOU could be the back up writer for the WOOT posts!
You might seriously consider posting those "private robot videos" on YouTube!!!!
They'd be an instant HIT, especially amongst other robots with internet access!
Alan

wgrant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wgrant

I am the Sherminator, a sophisticated Sex-Robot sent through time to change the future for one lucky lady.

binaryloop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages binaryloop

Woot saves the day! I was going to buy one of these for $204 over at Amazon. I've seen them as expensive as $300. Let the dog torture begin! Mmwwuahahahahaha.

sangfroid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sangfroid

This AR software seems to have some support for the rovio.

http://linceovr.seac02.it/pages/features/wowwee/

nubzzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nubzzz
keithhernandez wrote:802.11G is backwards compatible automagically with 802.11B and 802.11A connections.
This should not be an issue.

INCORRECT! 802.11N is backwards compatible with all of them (A, B, and G). G is backwards compatible with B. A is no longer used anyways but it isn't compatible with anything but N.

fleetosc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fleetosc

So, is the remote control web browser based or do you have to load software?

rowanator

quality posts: 15 Private Messages rowanator
fmfbrestel wrote:Anyone know if there is a linux port for the software?

You can likely run it under Wine, or run Windows as a VM in Linux. It really depends on what version of Linux you're using and what your system config is. Add details and maybe I can help more.

rowanator

quality posts: 15 Private Messages rowanator
fleetosc wrote:So, is the remote control web browser based or do you have to load software?

Either. The WebUI is built in to the robot and can be accessed through a browser, and the official software (RoboRealm) is on Deals.Woot, right next to the WowWee FlyTech Dragonfly.

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion
therealm80 wrote:Does it go down stairs?
fleetosc wrote:Once!

Ha, liked that one.

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

textommyboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages textommyboy

In for one as well! Hopefully my 2 boxers don't tear it up while I'm trying to watch'em at work...

And praying that I don't have any battery/charging issues as many reviews have stated.

overslacked

quality posts: 2 Private Messages overslacked

This would have been a great partnership 3 years ago.

I know, QQ. Thing is, I appreciate the thought behind it, it's a freaking great idea. Just not with the current HaD staff.

And no offenses meant, and, maybe the more entry-level "hacks" are what a greater quantity of people are interested in.

gephross100

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gephross100

I have one and it is kind of cool, they will drive your pets crazy and keep you entertained for hours!

c u

jsalvalzo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jsalvalzo

Controlling the Rovio anywhere in the world is not straight forward to do for the novice. Looks like some AP setup of opening ports and getting a dynamic DNS host setup is necessary. I may be saying the wrong thing here , but I am a novice myself and was reading and viewing some setup procedures on youtube on how to do this. I look forward to the challenge, so hopefully it will workout???

hiimjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hiimjohn

I'm sorry Woot!, I'm afraid I can't do that.

noiwontsmile

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noiwontsmile

Anyone know if the power adapter is a 110v/ 220v or just 110v? I read the manual and all I saw was the 8v output, nothing about the input..

edit: found it else where. supports both 110 and 220.

rinverso

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rinverso

maybe im nuts, but im in for one and my son is too! its gotta be better than the valentine flowers.......although i did get my money back. go woot!!!

scottsteckel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottsteckel

how fast does it go?

What is it's range?

gmontz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmontz

Im in for one to. Hope I don't have to walk 1600 mi to put it in the recharger to keep an eye on my house in Fl from NY

megamega

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megamega

Does ayone know if this can be rigged to record the video and audio?

brianxlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brianxlong
vanwinp wrote:Take a look at Amazon for the reviews. Sounds like a lot of issues with battery life, docking, headlamp, maneuvering, etc. May be too soon to market. But huge price difference here. $213@Amazon.

the 3-wheel design makes it a zero-turn-radius unit; but going in a straight line means it's dragging the sideways-mounted rear wheel. very odd design.

brianxlong

megamega wrote:Does ayone know if this can be rigged to record the video and audio?

you wouldn't record it from the source. you'd record it from the receiver. if you wanted to mount a 2GB sandisk on it, you probably could... talk to the hack-a-day guys

Waveman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Waveman
Shiftlock wrote:Can this be remotely driven onto the charging base? Or does it have to be manually placed on the base? I want to make sure it will charge between connections, so that it will work while I'm away from the summer home for many months without the battery dying.

One touch button on the interface and it will return and doc itself.

Massive Overkill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Massive Overkill
brianxlong wrote:the 3-wheel design makes it a zero-turn-radius unit; but going in a straight line means it's dragging the sideways-mounted rear wheel. very odd design.

If you look closely at each wheel, it's made up of smaller rollers, so you're not really dragging that third wheel, it's rolling on the mini-roller

Tanginator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tanginator

youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te8wVRgNFj4

brianxlong

pedrogammos wrote:My sentiments exactly, but one of the residents would totally steal it : (

another good idea for the hack-a-day guys: rig a good-sized capacitor to charge from the base, and some uninsulated wire around the case. someone might pick it up, but they'll put it down pretty quick. and if you're lucky, the cam will catch them spazzing out from the robo-tazer.

brianxlong

Massive Overkill wrote:If you look closely at each wheel, it's made up of smaller rollers, so you're not really dragging that third wheel, it's rolling on the mini-roller

oh i thought those were grippies. they spin?

wootRu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootRu
tsaelee wrote:Nope, shes a white robot. But can i use this to defuse bombs?

You can use it to defuse bombs IF you turn the webcam arm into a claw arm and add attachments like wire cutters,nitro to freeze bomb components,etc.....mount the camera on or near the claw

tmayhem

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tmayhem

I have one of these.

I had bought 2 of them, but one of the 2 was totally broken and wasted about 2 days of my time trying to make it work.

However, the 1 that did work is awesome. I use it everyday to check on my cats and house. There is a very well written Android App for controlling it.

this is great price, I paid a lot more for mine.

silversalute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silversalute

I was hoping they would sell out before I got off work so I wouldn't have to buy one... Anyway, now I've got a pal for my Roomba. I hope one of them is neutered.

TnBill47

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TnBill47

In for one, to join the Robosapien, Roboraptor, Roboquad, Spykee, and Tribot. Oh, and a couple Roombas. I'll let the grandchildren fight over the collection.

First WOOT 10/4/04, Total WOOTs 250+ </smart>

Jordanmonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jordanmonkey

can it work in any wifi or does it have to go through your yours like can i take it to mc donalds

scott1153

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scott1153
Bealz wrote:You'll need an external speaker to remind the drunk students who try to wander off with it that you can see them!

it comes with an external speaker, so you are set

Scott
-------------------------

<A HREF="http://www.sampleaday.com">http://www.sampleaday.com</A>