jsalvalzo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jsalvalzo

These batteries have memory, hence you need to basically fake them into realizing they need a charge. Like the poster above said , once it says Full charge roll it off the station then back on, repeat a few times. This should help it realize there is more charge necessary, after doing this through a few charging cycles I would bet they start to provide a longer/stronger charge cycle.
I have seen it recommended to let them full "discharge" to help in this process also.

Get mine today and will be doing all the above.

rodman1369

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rodman1369

Google Chrome has no problem.

Yea! I went over to Chrome and it WORKED! Power shut down after a few minutes...but, Hey! One problem at a time! Thanks!

jjdsx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjdsx

I'm trying the dock, undock trick now to get more runtime. Did I see someone from WOOT is contacting the mfg. about battery problems?
And I knew that Nicd batteries could develop a memory, but didn't know Nimh could too.

Lastly, since I'm testing in a basement with exposed joists, nothing near a flat ceiling, I was surprised to it found the charging dock with no problem. Don't know what the two red led's would do for me.

kagtha

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kagtha
cjthespy wrote:Well it wont work with my os, my network or anything...the only way to use it is on ad hoc mode in which I have to be home and switch to a different network and so forth...Also none of the software worked from their website and I couldnt update the firmware...Cant even connect the rovio to my 64 bit system since apparently it is a usb 1.0 and not a 2.0 ...1.0 only works on 32 bit...With all this said and even with the battery issue I am returning this unusable robot for good. Not sending in the battery to the manufacture if I cannot even use it in any sense at all.

I am havibng the same issue. I cant get it to connect to my wondiws 7 64 bit PC.. I dont have a woreless card so I cant do adhoc mode either. It looks cool except 1 LED on the top is not working. Guess I'll have to return it. Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Massive Overkill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Massive Overkill
kagtha wrote:I am havibng the same issue. I cant get it to connect to my wondiws 7 64 bit PC.. I dont have a woreless card so I cant do adhoc mode either. It looks cool except 1 LED on the top is not working. Guess I'll have to return it. Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Have all you peeps with Win7x64 tried compatibility mode for the application as well as compatibility mode for IE8?

Glad I've got VMware on both my PC's (with XP virtual machines). VMware player is free btw and lets you create virtual machines.

Mine is slated to come this afternoon. I'll let you all know if I find any workarounds as I'm also running Win7 64 bit.

smartaxel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smartaxel

Just got mine, an it doesn't seem to charge. No led changes or anything. Googled it, and saw it seems EVERYONE has the same problem. Should have hit Google before buying it. i created a ticket with the manufacturer.

larmanius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larmanius

yeah...batt. troubles. around 5 min charge time. NOT ACCEPTABLE. > 4 hours on the charger. will leave on overnight and see.

FYI: robot must be ON to charge.

web interface is clunky, but will work on IE6/7/8 very well.

i think woot and/or wowee need to step up on this.

sent tech support item to wowee just for the fun of it.

i suspect i'll need to deny the charge and throw it.

what is best way to get satisfaction on this everybody???

jsalvalzo

Well the dc supply says it should output 8v and supply 2.6A. I put a meter on it and it only supplies 5.2v out, i need to find out what the requires/minimum charging voltage it needs. Problem could just be the ac to dc power supply?

Anyone know what the min required vltg is to charge this thing?

jf0394092

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jf0394092

Got mine today and have been charging it for some time. Setup seemed to work fine and it did the firmware update. I tested it and it moved around the room just fine and I setup the home position and the first time if found the home dock and sat just fine. The second time it have been trying for over 5 mins and it docks and then undocks and docks and undocks. I tried turning it off and putting it on the dock, but it keeps going off the dock and trying to redock. Will shut it off for a bit and retry. But the camera look great, have not been able to setup external yet, not real sure on what I am doing.

jsalvalzo

jf0394092 wrote:Got mine today and have been charging it for some time. Setup seemed to work fine and it did the firmware update. I tested it and it moved around the room just fine and I setup the home position and the first time if found the home dock and sat just fine. The second time it have been trying for over 5 mins and it docks and then undocks and docks and undocks. I tried turning it off and putting it on the dock, but it keeps going off the dock and trying to redock. Will shut it off for a bit and retry. But the camera look great, have not been able to setup external yet, not real sure on what I am doing.

I can not get it to open in a browser, rovio finder shows an ip but when i double click it there is nothing??? Rovio interface sftwr shown in the manual does that need to be installed or is it open automatic in browser?

Massive Overkill

Updated my firmware via XP VMware and IE8 works great. Guys, the video on this thing is better than my $300 PTV IP security camera, and it doesn't even have 2-way audio.

jeribus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeribus

Got mine today. Followed the instructions and left it on the charger for two and half hours. Battery died part way through the initial set up. $100.00 for less than five minutes. Hopefully there will be a resolution to this. My first Woot! order and it is a disappointment. "Couldn’t Be Worse Than Transformers 2" indeed.

jeribus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeribus
jsalvalzo wrote:Well the dc supply says it should output 8v and supply 2.6A. I put a meter on it and it only supplies 5.2v out, i need to find out what the requires/minimum charging voltage it needs. Problem could just be the ac to dc power supply?

Anyone know what the min required vltg is to charge this thing?

I checked mine after it died after five minutes. My power supply was providing 8.2v out. Trying it again with stuff piled on top of it to make sure the contacts are well...contacting. It pulsed the whole time it was on it before.

jsalvalzo

jeribus wrote:I checked mine after it died after five minutes. My power supply was providing 8.2v out. Trying it again with stuff piled on top of it to make sure the contacts are well...contacting. It pulsed the whole time it was on it before.

I tied mine to a dc supply at 7v, drew about 550ma, I did this to update the firmware ,etc..
Could not drive it like this, but I was able to access it through my wifi and ctl the head/ see video.

My issue is when I plug the ip address(http://192.168.1.109/) into a browser it does not access the rovio. I have to access it through Rovio Coommander.

Can others just plug the ip in to a browser and get it to function?

bkearson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bkearson

Install software doesn't work on 64 bit systems, the web adhoc setup and firmware upgrade did work.
Batteries only last about 5 min?
Two charges now and same result.
Looks like others are having this same issue.
Is it the batteries, power supply or charging circuit.
Great robot if the run time was closer to 2-4h.

jsalvalzo

bkearson wrote:Install software doesn't work on 64 bit systems, the web adhoc setup and firmware upgrade did work.
Batteries only last about 5 min?
Two charges now and same result.
Looks like others are having this same issue.
Is it the batteries, power supply or charging circuit.
Great robot if the run time was closer to 2-4h.

When this is in the charging station should the lights continuously blink or blink once then stop? Mine does the latter.

Ok figured it out...my charger output is c r a p, 5.2v and it also makes a clicking noise when plugged in. I have the rovio charging now with my external supply and the cutoff end of the junk charger they sent w/ the rovio,

Here is a pick of it charging
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11195854@N07/4468493114/sizes/l/

cjthespy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjthespy
Massive Overkill wrote:Have all you peeps with Win7x64 tried compatibility mode for the application as well as compatibility mode for IE8?

Glad I've got VMware on both my PC's (with XP virtual machines). VMware player is free btw and lets you create virtual machines.

Mine is slated to come this afternoon. I'll let you all know if I find any workarounds as I'm also running Win7 64 bit.

I have run everything in compatibility mode and that mode doesn't even work on the dang thing...Also when I ran it on the firmware updater it said need x64 version contact the reseller or something like that and I am still waiting on a response on how to return this thing to woot since I have no way at all to use it ever at my house now.

666= Woot's 6th B-day, The DJ market ending in 6 and my order number ending in 6. THE END IS NEAR!!!

Massive Overkill

Night vision gets lemon juice in the eye. I have an Energizer LED light that I'm going to retrofit to it. The Energizer gives it plenty of light (well at least to see where you're going, plus it's really compact.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Energizer_Headlight_with_6_Leds. I'll hardwire it into the main LED headlight so it comes on with the main

I haven't had any charging problems, but I haven't tried to run it for an hour. My GF is probably feeling pretty neglected right now

gmaster0302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmaster0302

got my Rovio today..! woohooo!! hummmm the battery sort of does not last that long. We do have rough carpet, so that might be why. The light really does not light up as much. going to see what infrared hack there might be for this for night driving. Peace.

rickyharper

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rickyharper

I got mine today. Charging it has been a pain. Each time it lasts longer and longer. I am hoping a good 12-24 hours will work. The LED light gets lemon juice in the eye. In low light conditions it barely works. Pitch black it doesn't work at all.

Setting up the network wasn't bad after I used my XP computer to configure. I had the same problem with Windows 7 64 bit. Compatibility mode did nothing but frustrate me. On a big positive note, driving it is a blast!

larmanius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larmanius

we all got taken in.

just google "rovio batt life" and this rubbish has been going on for 2 years it seems!

shame on wowwee and woot for shipping these!

Massive Overkill

Took the cover off and relocated the blue LED's outside so now they're headlights. Night vision is more tolerable, albeit everyone looks like a smurf.

ManManny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ManManny

Got mine today. Set it up after downloading new firmware and new setup software. Charged it for a little bit but could not wait to play with it. Works great.

I've been playing with the alternate software from the download section of robocommunity.com. I've used up the whole day playing with this little guy. LOL

Works great with my Palm Pre.

anossier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anossier

Mine was DOA, but after a Google search I found this What to do with this dead Rovio the relavent post was;

Here is what is happening:
The Rovio has a "catch 22" in the firmware. A Catch 22 is a circular problem.

When the battery isn't charged up enough...too low...it will not accept a charge
from the charging dock. Yes, you heard me right. The battery has to be slightly
charged up - in order for the Rovio to go in to charging mode. Some of the batteries get too low before a new user can get it on the charging dock. It will
not start to "breathe" with the blue lights and accept a charge.
The fix?
You must remove the battery pack and charge it with an outboard charger for a while , then replace it and immediately put it on the dock.
You can use any DC power adapter that is between 8-11 volts and 300ma-1000ma (1 amp). Just use bare wire to connect the CORRECT polarity to the little connector. If it is a 11 V DC 1 amp adapter, just use it for 10 minutes. If it is 8 v DC and 300ma, use it for 1 hour or so. DO NOT connect the battery wires together. If in the future, your Rovio gets completely discharged, you will have to "jump-start" it like this again.

Try it!

My Rovio is now charging but I am sure a battery problem is afoot.
If you place your Rovio on the dock and it does not charge, blink or light up follow the above link to get it to work. My next Google search will be for a better power adaptor. A rumor on that forum is WowWee sends out 9v adaptor replacements. If WowWee sold Woot some very old Rovio stock, the battery packs may have "expired" so it will not charge, hold a charge or become fully charged.

If lots of ppl return these to woot I know what I will be getting in my next Bunch of Crepes!

Cheers.

jefers0n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jefers0n

I charged it overnight again almost sure that it was a waste of effor but it's a lot better now. Like someone said it might just help to fully drain the battery when you use it and when you charge it, redock it a few times so that it'll charge more. Each time I fully discharged the battery it got better and better.

I have been playing with it for about an hour straight now showing it off to my friends. Love the create guest users option. Just giving everyone their own logins so I can lock a specific person if they start abusing it =D.

I LOVE IT and all of those complaints at the beginning of the thread are either not true, exaggerate or were fixed int he latest firmware. THANKS W00T!

RebelTaz

quality posts: 8 Private Messages RebelTaz

I have the same "dead battery" issue as well. I know Woot says that the would like for us to take this up with WowWee first, but I know from previous (TriBot) experience that WowWee doesn't give a rat's ### about the customers who purchase their products. They WILL NOT honor warranties on items not purchased from "authorized dealers" and they are adamant that Woot is not "authorized"....

jaycent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaycent

I bet everyone who bought the Rovio off of Woot is having this problem....

Either Woot or Wowwee is going to get a lot returns....... Any volunteers?

ManManny

I'm having a ball with this thing.

team222badbrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages team222badbrad

I too had a battery problem and I didn't even use the supplied charging base. I suspect this have been sitting it WowWee's warehouse for over a year.

I plugged my battery into my hobby grade Radio Control battery charger. The first charge only charged to 150mah. (the battery's capacity is 3000mah) I thought that was kind of weird and just assumed it was charged...

I powered it on and couldn't get it to connect. After several times I realized the usb cord wasn't seated all the way in. It seemed like it was, but afterwords I found out it required much more force than expected to plug in. I still couldn't get it to connect because the battery was DEAD!

I took the battery out and charged it on my hobby charger again and it charged up to 990mah. After that charge I finally got it to connect and then only had a few minutes of fun!

A third charge on the battery went to 3000+mah and was able to rov around for 1/2 hour or so.

I guess you guys without a hobby battery charger will either have to keep putting it back on the base many times once the light "says" it's charged or see if they will send out a replacement.

jsalvalzo

ManManny wrote:I'm having a ball with this thing.

What app is that? Thanks

headsling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages headsling

just received this yesterday am.. left it charging all day. unit stays on for less than 2 minutes and then switches off. also when i was able to get in before the 2 mins it refused to connect to either of my wpa2 access points. anyone else see this?

have asked for return.

stv6669

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stv6669
jsalvalzo wrote:What app is that? Thanks

OKAY GUYS HERE IS HOW TO FIX THE BATTERY.

Lets get this settled for once so the bitching stops.

#1. Tape down the "ramp" so the rovio doesn't push it around a hardwood floor when trying to charge.

#2 Tape down the "button" on the ramp. This is where the rovio's wheel pushes the charging poles up into the rovio to charge. Taping this down helps with the contact for charging.

#3 The battery has a "MEMORY" you need to trick this memory because when a battery is fully dead it doesn't want to charge. To do this you need to have the rovio lined up perfectly for charging. Turn it on... if it quickly blinks then dies, you need to keep turning it on till it starts charging, if it still refuses to charge you need to reline it up because it is not lined up properly.

#4 The top LED lights should blink FAST on top for a few seconds when you turn it on, then it should slowly pulse, slowly come on and slowly fade out. This means it is charging.

#5 KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THE ROVIO, if for some reason it stops the charging LED fade in and out and starts to blink really fast it means it is about to die. Turn the rovio off and back on while keeping it on the charging dock. This will cause the charging to initiate.

YOU MUST KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THE ROVIO FOR THE FIRST CHARGE. KEEP TURNING IT OFF AND ON WHEN IT STOPS CHARGING. You basically need to baby sit the rovio for its first charge due to the memory of the battery.

It took me about 10 hours to finally get my rovio fully charged. I simply placed it infront of my tv and watched some movies and played some xbox while doing what I said above.

WOWEE will not replace the battery, they know the issue and it is not an easy fix. YOU MUST UPDATE THE ROVIO FIRMWARE BEFORE YOU GET A FULL CHARGE. The old firmware does not allow the rovio to function well on a low battery.

You have to set the base up near the computer for the update, get it on long enough to update the firmware. Then continue to charge it.

If you follow what I said you should have no problems.

Did anyone get their rovio to work with WPA2?

stv6669

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stv6669
headsling wrote:just received this yesterday am.. left it charging all day. unit stays on for less than 2 minutes and then switches off. also when i was able to get in before the 2 mins it refused to connect to either of my wpa2 access points. anyone else see this?

have asked for return.

As far as I know it only works with WEP and WPA. WPA2 it won't work due to the encryption I believe. I thought they fixed this with a firmware update but I finally settled for WPA because it was easier to get online.

jaycent

stv6669 wrote:Did anyone get their rovio to work with WPA2?

Yes. WPA2-Personal w/ AES and a very long pass-phrase. Setup was just like any other network, find network, type in password (and I set a static IP address).

Unfortunately, WPA2-Enterprise is not supported (which it could be for many people if Wowwee just implemented a half-@$$ version, e.g. not dealing with client certs, etc) which means I can't run this on my work network. But, I highly doubt WPA2-Enterprise is used by many home users unless they're in a business supplied SOHO environment.

jsalvalzo

Why can I not access it through my browser at it's Ip address?
I have it running on my droid, itouch, and 2 third party vendors software.

But the direct ip address to it does not work at all! I want to get to the setup menu in the browser GUI to setup away from home control.

I want to access this page shown here about 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.robocommunity.com/article/14500/How-To-Set-Up-External-Access-Over-The-Internet-For-Your-WowWee-Rovio/

Can someone please help?

Ohh yeah ..my battery life gets lemon juice in the eye like everyone else!

jaycent

jsalvalzo wrote:Why can I not access it through my browser at it's Ip address?

Do you have AP isolation turned on?

jsalvalzo

jaycent wrote:Do you have AP isolation turned on?

It is off....

jaycent

jsalvalzo wrote:It is off....

You're trying from a computer on your home network? And you're trying to connect to it's internal IP address?

Can you ping it?

jsalvalzo

jaycent wrote:You're trying from a computer on your home network? And you're trying to connect to it's internal IP address?

Can you ping it?

Home network...no security at the momment.
Yes I can ping it...
Typing the address into browser times out though.

Running WIndows 7 ..tried Mozilla and IE8.

Same in both.

ManManny

jsalvalzo wrote:What app is that? Thanks

Shown are the mobile browser pages from the Rovio.