Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

It was a bold experiment. But just 24 hours after we announced our Woot Your Own Adventure business model, Woot decided to revert to our more traditional deal-a-day format. The change takes effect today, April 2. It's not easy to back down so soon after launching a new venture like that, but it's some consolation to know Conan O'Brien isn't affected.

Oh, but what a time we had. If you missed all the fun, or just want to re-live it, play Woot Your Own Adventure right now, or whenever you get around to it. No hurry. It's not like the fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance or anything. Just be prepared for the kind of excitement that made Woot Your Own Adventure the #4 trending topic on Twitter.

Our community was all abuzz about it, too. Some adventurers found that playing the game cost them more than the reward was worth. Some forgot what game they were playing. And some, clearly driven mad by the hunt a la The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, offered dubious advice.

More enterprising crap-hunters made - SPOILER ALERT - their own maps and guides. We liked billmoney's hand-drawn ones best, because they looked the most like the ones we made while planning this whole thing:

wyoamap3

But even with maps like those, and with people sharing links on deal sites and in our forums and whatnot, it took 40 minutes for the ultimate prize - a Bag O' Crap, of course - sold out. Now, if you successfully choose your way through the whole adventure, all you win is the satisfaction of having found a correct path to the end.

What will you always remember most about Woot Your Own Adventure? What memories will you share with your children, your grandchildren, your great-grandchildren, and (future medical advances permitting) your great-great grandchildren? First, share them with us below...

kreegah

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kreegah

*sniff* It's amongst my fondest memories...I'll never forget clicking that selection that took me to the glowing monkeys, and then, there, at the end, the last link that took me to the holy land where I gazed upon the alcove, lit from above with a heavenly glow, and saw that THREE THOUSAND CURSED RAVING BANDITS MADE OFF WITH ALL THE BoCs MERE HOURS BEFORE I GOT THERE!

*sobs quietly in a corner*

Oh, and I'd never have my loot sent to a friend's house. Risk losing holy relics to marauding aliens while in the hands of ignorant friends? Madness.

rpm1200

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rpm1200

Was there a way to get to http://www.woot.com/adventure/28 without typing it into the address bar from the Sansa page (27)? Was it removed when the bags sold out or is it still hidden there somewhere?

FrostByte

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FrostByte
rpm1200 wrote:Was there a way to get to http://www.woot.com/adventure/28 without typing it into the address bar from the Sansa page (27)? Was it removed when the bags sold out or is it still hidden there somewhere?

I had nearly given up on my quest after considering buying several items (including the glowing monkeys).

Alas, I gave it one last go, and when I made it back to the Sansa page, I saw Jazz was hyper linked. I clicked on that, and after some furious click and reloading, the server deemed me worthy to purchase the epic adventure.

THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR MANHANDSHA'S BADGE

Esoteric07

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Esoteric07

It was the greatest choose your own adventure ive ever had. I scored some much treasured woot torches, and glowing koalas along the way. Though I got lost looking for the Biblical Obscure Crate,the journey and not the prize was the most treasured part of my adventure. Who could forget the shenanigans of the sea yeti's or Brent, or the limo led me to a cosmic inter-space warp to Woot HQ.

rpm1200

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rpm1200
rpm1200 wrote:Was there a way to get to http://www.woot.com/adventure/28 without typing it into the address bar from the Sansa page (27)? Was it removed when the bags sold out or is it still hidden there somewhere?

Oh, Jazz.

rmarquet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rmarquet

Finally...glow in the dark monkeys. My fiancee and I have been wanting some since the blog entry about them, so we got three (and she wanted to order more!). A epic adventure would've been nice, too, but we just can't stay up that late because we go to work early. Oh well!

richardemoore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richardemoore

Curses, I got to the epic adventure at 10 after midnight... Pacific time. Durn it! Next year...

I'd rather be drinking... Oh wait, I *am*!

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
rpm1200 wrote:Oh, Jazz.

I hope that becomes the new slur of choice in our forums. "Aaah, Sansas again?! Oh, jazz!"

cudthecrud

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cudthecrud
kreegah wrote:*sniff* It's amongst my fondest memories...I'll never forget clicking that selection that took me to the glowing monkeys, and then, there, at the end, the last link that took me to the holy land where I gazed upon the alcove, lit from above with a heavenly glow, and saw that THREE THOUSAND CURSED RAVING BANDITS MADE OFF WITH ALL THE BoCs MERE HOURS BEFORE I GOT THERE!

*sobs quietly in a corner*

Oh, and I'd never have my loot sent to a friend's house. Risk losing holy relics to marauding aliens while in the hands of ignorant friends? Madness.

I got there at about 10:42pm. So I guess I just missed it. So sad.

PengLord

quality posts: 8 Private Messages PengLord

For the especially lazy, I created a guide with buy links (still functional).

CyberWoolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CyberWoolf

I remember have a bit of a panic attack because I had finally found the epic adventure after 20 minutes. When I clicked on it, it lagged and I kept getting 'Server Error'. I almost cried, but I kept my spirits high!

After about 10-15 times of server error, alas! I got to the checkout page and scored my first epic adventure after many many many attempts.

The best part is, it should arrive around my birthday in 2 1/2 weeks (I hope).

It was a ton of fun and I'm glad I had a fighting chance this time! And I also scored the sweet monkeys and lights!

Thanks so much w00t!

geognerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages geognerd

Was the hyperlink for "jazz" removed when the epic adventure sold out? I got to the Clip so many times but didn't read the description. I eventually saw a tweet that said to click "jazz." When I got to the Clip again, "jazz" wasn't hyperlinked.

HikingStick

quality posts: 6 Private Messages HikingStick

I'm so glad my wife asked me to go grocery shopping on Wednesday night. We typically go on Friday. I'm doubly glad that I distracted her by taking her clearance shopping at Shopko and Target before we went and did what we set out to do. Had I not, we would have gotten home before 10 PM and I would have been sleeping in my flannel PJs when the adventure began.

As it was, we dragged our tired caracasses through the store, filling two carts with food and household supplies. Of course it had to be Wednesday night, because we had company coming on Thursday. It didn't matter that I had assignments to work on for my graduate program. No, that could wait. Paper towels and cold cuts were calling.

Yes, it's because of that break in our regularly little bi-weekly schedule that brought me, tired, through the door to our house at 11:55 PM on March 31. My wife says I was dancing like a kid on Christmas morning when I saw the adventure begin, but I'm sure it's just that I needed to go to the bathroom after drinking soda and doing all that shopping.

She said I danced even more as I discovered more items, but I'm sure it was just my bladder.

Then I found the Blessing of Commerce, and it was as if time stood still. There was a light from the hallway, and I thought I heard angels singing. I think that's when my wife slugged me. The hallway light was on and the baby was awake. It wasn't the right kind of angel, but an angel nonetheless.

So, I stood there dancing, um, er...waiting for the bathroom until I saw the confirmation page. I don't know how I came down from there. Suddenly, I didn't need to go to the bathroom, and I was tired. When I awoke the next morning, I was afraid it had all been a dream, but it wasn't.

Thanks, woot! Your'e the greatest!

HikingStick
Blessings Of Commerce> Seven!
Woots> 36 and counting!
Sellout Woots> Eight.
Shirt Woots> Two (BoCarrots, The Raven).
Kids Woots> Eight.

djslack

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djslack

This epic adventure was a great April Fools Woot event. I spent an hour going through everything even after winning the adventure. While I cannot currently think of a way it can be topped, I'm sure Woot will figure one out before next year. I can't wait!

djslack

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djslack
geognerd wrote:Was the hyperlink for "jazz" removed when the epic adventure sold out? I got to the Clip so many times but didn't read the description. I eventually saw a tweet that said to click "jazz." When I got to the Clip again, "jazz" wasn't hyperlinked.

The Clip appeared twice, one with the link and one without.

efprofessor

quality posts: 8 Private Messages efprofessor

My recollection is (and will likely continue to be) my shame that I did not figure it out. I knew better given that the previous years' AFD adventures involved a requirement to read the stories. Why didn't I read the story? Argh! Now I have a scar I will carry with me the rest of my life. Ego sum tristis!

BTW: regarding the sansa player appearing 2x; that was brilliant since it undoubtedly caused many a venturer (including me) to re-track to the beginning. Well done again!

BabyBear

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BabyBear

It almost reminded me of those Easter Egg hunts of yester year. Spent a lot of time looking and looking and not finding anything worthwhile. Although no rocks like Charlie Brown. Spent over 30 minutes on a search for the page that contained the Body of Christ. Have seemingly gone through all the pages and not finding it gave up and went to fourm for 'help'. Some people had found "page 28" but were getting server error upon clicking buy it button. Was it on purpose? Was it on accident? Was I asking too many questions?

A bit later seemingly not finding a link to 28 I searched around in the description on page 27(the Sansa Clip). Hmm, Did I mouse over that Jazz link? Oooooooooo! Quick Hurry up and wait for processing. About 20 minutes worth. :') At about 12:50 or so order was finally in.

Somehow in the mad rush I probably visited page 27 at least 3-4 times before finally looking at description and seeing the jazz link long enough for brain to register "Click that link fool!"

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

I got the confirmation e-mail, (for monkeys) but it is not listed in my account. I e-mailed service to make sure the order got in. Have not heard back yet. So very worried that I won't get the monkeys. Oh noes!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

faughtey

Staff

PengLord wrote:For the especially lazy, I created a guide with buy links (still functional).

Yay! I just used this and got monkeys. Thanks!
I don't know if my first order worked, but this one seemed to.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 119 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

faughtey wrote:I got the confirmation e-mail, (for monkeys) but it is not listed in my account. I e-mailed service to make sure the order got in. Have not heard back yet. So very worried that I won't get the monkeys. Oh noes!

Yeah, we had some weirdness with a very few Woot orders being denied yesterday for reasons I am not clear on and are probably too technical for me to really care to pursue further. Anyway, it looks like yours was one of those, but, indeed, your second order went through without a hitch. Verrrry sorry, but glad you got them!

faughtey

Staff

agingdragqueen wrote:Yeah, we had some weirdness with orders being denied yesterday for reasons I am not clear on and are probably too technical for me to really care to pursue further. Anyway, it looks like yours was one of those, but, indeed, your second order went through without a hitch. Verrrry sorry, but glad you got them!

So happy! Thank you!

coolbiker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coolbiker

I was early and still didn't catch the hint of a link. That darn sansa took me off guard. I'm not sure I would have gotten a bag of carp if I got the chance but I had some good adventures and brought home the bacon (not literally of course)

SColburn

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SColburn

Congratulations on besting Justin Bieber on Twitter's trending topics.

Woot Your Own was an EPIC adventure, and you guys (and gals) rock!

bradchristie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradchristie

i just wanted to say kudos to giving "everyone else" the chance for a purchase. Though admittedly I am one of those "auto-buyers" (as long as the server isn't throttled by the time i get there, which is few and far between) it was nice to see the server load get some-what dispersed and allow everyone a fair shot.

Also kudos to using server-side (presumably session-based) logic for referrals. I even later played with messing with the "Referrer" header and still was unable to proceed to an out-of-order page. It's good to know there are still developers that think like a (even simplified) hacker these days. The "Tweet your demise" was cute too.

Maybe next time it can be woot trivia for the veterans (answer with pieces of woot history). Or maybe the inverse for the "woot geeks", different password/hashes you have to crack along the way. We all know word will travel how to get to the "gold" anyways, but provides some good entertainment.

p.s. is that the longest it's taken to get to a epic adventure before? If not, do you guys have archived the record?

-Brad "KingTomato" Christie
http://www.kingtomato.net/
http://brad-christie.com/blog/

andrewkl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages andrewkl

I have absolutely no idea what time I landed there... I started at 1 eastern. What a joy to see the beloved bag and the "I Want One" still there...

Woot, this was genius.. Pure genius. Of course I say that only because I was able to get in on one. But the fact that the gallivanting alpacas were blocked was pure genius.. Or evil, depending upon which side of the fence you're on.(who says machines are smarter than the human brain???)

Thanks guys... It was fun.. Got my monkeys, got my shirt coupon, got my bag... I'm a happy camper.

Just really damn lucky: Random Crap: 2/15/08, 2/19/09, 12/25/09, 4/1/10, 12/1/10, 12/25/10, 4/1/11, 5/11/11, 9/14/11, 10/12/11, 12/25/11

annietsai

quality posts: 5 Private Messages annietsai

I was upset because I was fervently clicking through the adventure and reading all the descriptions, trying to find a clue. And I was on the correct Sansa page so many times! And then when I finally found the link, it was sold out because some person posted the direct link to the buy page on slickdeals, and wootalyzer figured it out too. So most people who got in on the adventure bag didn't find the loot on their own, but used a direct buy link from somewhere else.
Anyway, the adventure sure did give a much bigger window to find it, so you're on the right track. Maybe one of these days you'll make it impossible to get to the buy page without first going to the "I want one" page.

alunj

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alunj

I thought this was an excellent idea, particularly keeping items available over more than a day. Of course, I got my Book of hernia, two actually, but I've sent an email to the customer service team and hopefully they'll redirect the spare to a deserving wooter.
I can't see how the gallivanting alpacas are going to beat this, except by fetching every link and searching for the one that gives them random hernia - OK, so I guess the gallivanting alpacas are going to beat this pretty easily next time it's used.
But then again, couldn't Woot use a different description and title, so that humans could tell it was a epic adventure, and gallivanting alpacas be out of luck?

grumb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grumb

It was an awesome adventure. What is interesting though is I found the treasure at about 1:35 Eastern or 12:35 Woot Time, yet I still got a sold out. If the sold out time was :40, did they close the sale based on who was in line and the last sale through was at :40 past? Just trying to figure out Woot timing.

oio

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oio

billmoney - how's about laying that paper flat on a table for the photo instead of that curved hernia you took holding it up :O

Shame woot decided not to continue the adventure thing. Good times.

powerpiglet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages powerpiglet
bradchristie wrote:
I even later played with messing with the "Referrer" header and still was unable to proceed to an out-of-order page. It's good to know there are still developers that think like a (even simplified) hacker these days.

Except people were able to share links directly to the buying page...

mastermwl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mastermwl
kreegah wrote:Oh, and I'd never have my loot sent to a friend's house. Risk losing holy relics to marauding aliens while in the hands of ignorant friends? Madness.

Madness? THIS. IS. WOOTAHHHHH!

blacknite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blacknite

Without a doubt, the most creative way to ensure everyone (except the robots) had a shot at getting the adventure hernia. the wife and i were both able to grab one, after it took 20 minutes to find it.

BabyBear

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BabyBear
llandar wrote:I hope that becomes the new slur of choice in our forums. "Aaah, Sansas again?! Oh, jazz!"

Check with Iomega. Bet there is a warehouse full of Jaz drives/disks that could use unloading. :')

J624

quality posts: 0 Private Messages J624

I was up late and got started through the adventure a mere 17 minutes after it went up. By 12:30, I had found every page in the adventure, except the one that counts, the epic adventure. Dang.

anabsa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anabsa
BabyBear wrote:Check with Iomega. Bet there is a warehouse full of Jaz drives/disks that could use unloading. :')

As if they need anymore ideas.

bradchristie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradchristie
powerpiglet wrote:Except people were able to share links directly to the buying page...

Correct, direct purchase links worked (including the epic adventure). They just limited how you got to the item pages was my point.

-Brad "KingTomato" Christie
http://www.kingtomato.net/
http://brad-christie.com/blog/

mlsapack

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mlsapack

GOt to the Carp page after about 5 mins, but received a 'server error' when I hit the 'I want one!' button. I then panicked and clicked something and was dumped all the way back to the beginning. I managed to renavigate to the Carp again, it was not sold out yet, and this time the order went through!

The memory that stays with me is waking up the wife at 2:00AM and giving her the play by play - and she was interested!

Our kids may call us Woosers (Woot Losers!), but we don't care, this is too much fun! Thanks, Woot for a great Adventure, and hopefully many more to come!

terri19

quality posts: 3 Private Messages terri19

This was the best....as I was wondering around through the adventure I actually forgot about the epic adventure...I really thought there wasn't going to be one and then...suddenly after a few clicks of the mouse and to my surprise...there it was...At first I didn't even know why it came up....Thanks for a great adventure!

Terri19

Naris

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Naris

It was my first Book of hernia ever, so I'll always remember this Woot Adventure with a great deal of fondness.

In all seriousness though, it seemed like you guys took every choice that a real adventurer should NOT do. I mean, not many sane people would go with random guy named Paco, push a big red button, resist temptation of having an ice cream party or being Doctor Who; and even having to choose getting stuck in a parking lot in Dallas.