Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Ever wished you could put a face to a username on our message boards? And furthermore, have you wished that face would be bizarre, unsettling, and maybe a little cute? Then you and your similarly-inclined pals are going to love our new Woot forum avatars. Someday, when people talk about 2010 as the post-avatar era, it won’t have anything to do with James Cameron.

Yes, from now on your forum posts will be accompanied by a unique cartoon grotesquerie created by slam-bang all-star illustrator Will Guy, aka Goopy of goopymart and Sea Chimp fame. You can choose from five different designs on your shiny new member profile page (oh, yeah, you can read about that whole deal in another blog post). They’re automatically generated from heads, arms, legs, tails, antlers, tentacles, beards, claws, and other parts drawn by Goopy, so every avatar is completely unique. Goopy gave us enough parts for something like 70 quadrillion combinations (seriously).

No, you can’t make your own. You didn’t get to choose your real-life face before you were born, did you? But those who prefer to live in a Huxleyan dystopia of embryo engineering and designer cheekbones can also choose your flattering Facebook, Twitter, or Gravatar avatar instead, right there on the member profile page. Again, see the other blog post for more about that.

What does your forum avatar look like in the wild? Just post below (like we needed to encourage you to do that) and take a look. To see a higher-res version of it, or to choose a different one, get thee hence to your profile page: go to http://members.woot.com/ and, assuming you’re logged in to Woot, it’ll default to your profile page. To see someone else’s profile page, add their username to the URL after the last slash, like this: http://members.woot.com/Jason Toon.

OK, you’ve seen my pink-eyed, bouffanted, fuzzy-faced, insectoid self – now show me yours!

giovannib

quality posts: 1 Private Messages giovannib

What does my face look like?

edit: Nice.

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21

Why is Jason Toon's avatar a "Dave Bug"?

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
SBCJester21 wrote:Why is Jason Toon's avatar a "Dave Bug"?

at least he's not a cussing felon.

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug

I have to admit, I'm pretty jealous of the bugginess, but I don't mind my Karate Cyclops at all.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

I seem to be an entree.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Hah, that's good!

I'm a pretty big fan of mine.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Gatzby

Slydon wrote:I seem to be an entree.

Spaghetti alla nargole?

Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.

troyismad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages troyismad

What am I?

abramokids

quality posts: 16 Private Messages abramokids

I'm not a fan of how it stretches out small forum posts. And I'm sure it will affect the loading time for the forums. But they ARE cool!
Edit: Monkey with a rocketship? What?

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
Gatzby wrote:Hah, that's good!

I'd have to agree. Somehow a confused hexapus just seems fitting.

thetuffather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thetuffather

Love my purple hat, and old timey convict shirt.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 128 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Gatzby wrote:

I'm impressed by the accuracy of my moose horns.

Tacogrande

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tacogrande

Nice job Woot Staff I like the new idea ;)

dave bug

thetuffather wrote:Love my purple hat, and old timey convict shirt.

Are you sure you're not trapped in an invisible box, rather than a jail cell?

Gatzby

agingdragqueen wrote:I'm impressed by the accuracy of my moose horns.

Yeah, they even nailed the color. Are you getting them styled for summer?

badboypolar

quality posts: 12 Private Messages badboypolar

Why is my avatar a picture of Jason Toon's mom?

dave bug

I think I'm sticking with mine, but I was tempted by one of my other choices:

elezar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages elezar

I had some trouble selecting the avatar to use. To make it use the one on the far left, I have to select the one 2nd from left. For the one 2nd from left, I have to select the one 2nd from right. For the one in the middle, I have to select the one on the far left. For the one 2nd from the right, I have to select the one in the middle. The one on the far right is the only one that is actually correct.

Maybe this is a belated April Fool's thing, and that's part of the "game"?

Hengehog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Hengehog

This sounds like a good idea albeit a bit strange.

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining

Different

plaster

quality posts: 7 Private Messages plaster

I'm not entirely sure what my face is supposed to be there. I see all the eyes, but the nose and mouth area are weird.

M3wThr33

quality posts: 8 Private Messages M3wThr33

Hmm, yes. Shallow and pedantic.

afurball

quality posts: 16 Private Messages afurball
M3wThr33 wrote:Hmm, yes. Shallow and pedantic.

Hmmm, are you and SBCJester related?? At least from the neck down, anyway?

Esoteric07

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Esoteric07

i like it. very unusual but wootlike as well.

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21
afurball wrote:Hmmm, are you and SBCJester related?? At least from the neck down, anyway?

SBCJester21 used to be quite the player, in his youth... Perhaps there are Spawn of Jester that were previously unknown.

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

I tried to change mine, but it didn't work. Clicked on change avatar, selected one, change avatar, nothing. Mine looks rather dippy, I want the tough looking one. Grrr.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

shawnmiller

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shawnmiller
faughtey wrote:I tried to change mine, but it didn't work. Clicked on change avatar, selected one, change avatar, nothing. Mine looks rather dippy, I want the tough looking one. Grrr.

We had a few problems with our avatar picker in Internet Explorer that I just fixed. Go ahead and give it another shot.

gdvw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gdvw

I don't particularly like any of mine, but I'm sticking with the one they gave me, on principle.

topsyturvytown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topsyturvytown

remarkably accurate, especially the shirt.woot! shirt, moustache, and magically floating hat! thanks, woot!

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster

posting again to bask in a glorious sequence of round handless bodies. it's a wonder we three can still type.

edit: oop, too late. @topsyturvytown aha, now I see who got favored by the hand gods!

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

shawnmiller wrote:We has a few problems with our avatar picker in Internet Explorer that I just fixed. Go ahead and give it another shot.

It worked, thanks shawnmiller!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

windstirrer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages windstirrer
chennai8 wrote:

The chihuahua is pretty funny. Mine looks a little like a very angry chef walrus with tentacles. I like him. Very funny. My original was a bear with princess leia hair buns. It was pretty good, but I preferred this one. I find this one rather entertaining.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 583 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ok guys! Seriously? You met me once! My mustache isn't that bad! It was between waxings! Ok? Sheesh!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

joshmonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages joshmonkey
chennai8 wrote:

Okay, this may be the best one I've seen yet!

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar

Behold, Waffle-Faced Einstein!

raebee

quality posts: 21 Private Messages raebee

I introduce my Avatar to the Woot! world.

Where do you find a Roomba? At the Innba!

sarahjean1977

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarahjean1977

hmmm...

january

quality posts: 41 Private Messages january

Avatar! Quick question: how are these avatars determined? Are they based on how many woots you have or how many comments you have made?