kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
SkekTek wrote:You can get them from Wilton. They usually sell them at craft stores. Also, Sam's club usually sells them that big too.

Or cake supply stores. I have a lot of HUGE cake pans from my baking days.

I preferred brands other than Wilton, because they were more heavy duty. Wilton is great though for the occaisional baker.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
kdccrosby wrote:Or cake supply stores. I have a lot of HUGE cake pans from my baking days.

I preferred brands other than Wilton, because they were more heavy duty. Wilton is great though for the occaisional baker.

I've never baked occasionals.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
AZGman wrote:I've never baked occasionals.

They just don't taste as good as the frequents.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
kdccrosby wrote:Or cake supply stores. I have a lot of HUGE cake pans from my baking days.

Didn't think about pans from a cake store. Only cake I ever make from scratch is Angel Food, and that doesn't require a normal pan. Everything else comes from a mix, and those mixes just don't seem to make as much as they used to. Anything larger than a 9x13 and they come out too thin.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Hello, PWA!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Exactly. If wife sees another box of monkeys, she'll take the monkeys out, and ship my b**ls in them back to woot.

Gee, they are small. Kids like them. You could take them to class.
What did you do to her with them to make her so mad????

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

avosgo wrote:Back in the 90's, I worked for a local band down in the Boston area and one of the "big names" we opened for were the maniacs, right when they got the "new" lead singer after Natalie Merchant. It was very cool!!!! The band members were SO nice!

It is nice when people are nice.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

PemberDucky wrote:Hello, PWA!

Hi Ducky!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

What the heck? It is taking forever to load. What are they working on now?

OK, dog can go back to the park.
Nieces snake hasn't been fed. Thank goodness it is only 18 inches long. It is going to be mad at me when I show up.

I cant bring the dog to my sister in law, because she had a dog who peed in the house a few times. If Rusty smells it, he might pee. You don't need a 70 lb dog peeing in your house!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
dontwantaname wrote:Gee, they are small. Kids like them. You could take them to class.
What did you do to her with them to make her so mad????

Bought a lot of monkeys, and a lot of t-shirts... didn't do anything except decrease the checkbook balance.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Turken wrote:Didn't think about pans from a cake store. Only cake I ever make from scratch is Angel Food, and that doesn't require a normal pan. Everything else comes from a mix, and those mixes just don't seem to make as much as they used to. Anything larger than a 9x13 and they come out too thin.

Quit using the mixes. :p

Really. It's not like a cake is hard to make. To get really good cake, light and fluffy and moist, you need to add ingedients in the proper order, and with a mix, you can't. It all gets dumped in at once, and you end up with...well...a cake from a mix.

<.<
>.>

wut?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

SkekTek

PemberDucky wrote:Hello, PWA!

Hi duck! How's your luck!

SkekTek

Mavyn wrote:Quit using the mixes. :p

Really. It's not like a cake is hard to make. To get really good cake, light and fluffy and moist, you need to add ingedients in the proper order, and with a mix, you can't. It all gets dumped in at once, and you end up with...well...a cake from a mix.

<.<
>.>

wut?

Cake:
1 18 1/4-ounce package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 16-ounce box powdered sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Prepare Filling

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together.

Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey.

Servings: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Difficulty: Easy

Show: Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:Hi duck! How's your luck!

Can't complain yet!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
SkekTek wrote:Bought a lot of monkeys, and a lot of t-shirts... didn't do anything except decrease the checkbook balance.

but now you have monkeys and t-shirts in exchange for that decreased checkbook balance.

Mavyn

SkekTek wrote:Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Sure...but without the mix, all you need is flour, sugar, and a form of leavening agent. And NO powdered fats, emulsifiers, preservatives, weird coloring agents, and cheap flavorings like vanillin. Why is keeping that on hand harder than buying a boxed mix?

AZGman

Mavyn wrote:Sure...but without the mix, all you need is flour, sugar, and a form of leavening agent. And NO powdered fats, emulsifiers, preservatives, weird coloring agents, and cheap flavorings like vanillin. Why is keeping that on hand harder than buying a boxed mix?

What kind of leavening agent, hopw much of each ingredient, what if you want a yellow cake or a marble cake????

I gots ta know!!!!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
AZGman wrote:What kind of leavening agent, hopw much of each ingredient, what if you want a yellow cake or a marble cake????

what he said! plus for me at least, i don't do much baking, so i don't use flour all that often. do i really want to use a bag of flour that inevitably sits in a cupboard for years and years?

Mavyn

AZGman wrote:What kind of leavening agent, hopw much of each ingredient, what if you want a yellow cake or a marble cake????

I gots ta know!!!!

Yellow Cake

Marble Cake

no1 wrote:what he said! plus for me at least, i don't do much baking, so i don't use flour all that often. do i really want to use a bag of flour that inevitably sits in a cupboard for years and years?

If you baked more often, that wouldn't happen...but how long do you think that cake mix has sat around? :p flour is used in cooking, as well...how else do you make bechamel?

Come over some time, I'll gladly bake for you. Or cook for you. Or both.

no1

Mavyn wrote:If you baked more often, that wouldn't happen...but how long do you think that cake mix has sat around?

hence the preservatives!

no1

Mavyn wrote:If you baked more often, that wouldn't happen...but how long do you think that cake mix has sat around? :p flour is used in cooking, as well...how else do you make bechamel?

btw, for cakes, is all-purpose flour ok to use straight out of the bag, or do you have to sift it first? i also notice "softassilk" (or something like that) cake flour near the cake mixes in the grocery, which i presume is somewhat finer than all-purpose...?

Mavyn

no1 wrote:hence the preservatives!

Eeew!

no1 wrote:btw, for cakes, is all-purpose flour ok to use straight out of the bag, or do you have to sift it first? i also notice "softassilk" (or something like that) cake flour near the cake mixes in the grocery, which i presume is somewhat finer than all-purpose...?

I use both. Cake flour is regular flour with some added cornstarch. And I will either sift, or more likely whisk the dry ingredients to get the added 'air'...and adjust the measuring. Freshly sifted flour has more volume, so if you're not measuring by weight, it makes a big difference.

AZGman

no1 wrote:btw, for cakes, is all-purpose flour ok to use straight out of the bag, or do you have to sift it first? i also notice "softassilk" (or something like that) cake flour near the cake mixes in the grocery, which i presume is somewhat finer than all-purpose...?

I would shy away from all-porpoise flour . . .

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Mavyn wrote:I use both. Cake flour is regular flour with some added cornstarch. And I will either sift, or more likely whisk the dry ingredients to get the added 'air'...and adjust the measuring. Freshly sifted flour has more volume, so if you're not measuring by weight, it makes a big difference.

See, it just got hard right there.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

no1

AZGman wrote:I would shy away from all-porpoise flour . . .

is it tuna-safe?

no1

ThunderThighs wrote:See, it just got hard right there.

that's what she said!

Mavyn

ThunderThighs wrote:See, it just got hard right there.

Not really. For most purposes, straight from the bag will be just fine. To me, it makes a difference...but so does salted vs unsalted butter, vs margarine, vs shortening, vs lard.

SkekTek

I just posted the recipe because anyone who will take a boxed mix, supplement it with a stick of butter and a bunch of eggs and cream cheese, can't be skinny.

I do make my own cakes, but baking to me is a luxury I don't do much. Except muffins. Love making muffins. Kids become by best friends when they see me get out the little silicone muffin pans.

no1

SkekTek wrote:I just posted the recipe because anyone who will take a boxed mix, supplement it with a stick of butter and a bunch of eggs and cream cheese, can't be skinny.

I do make my own cakes, but baking to me is a luxury I don't do much. Except muffins. Love making muffins. Kids become by best friends when they see me get out the little silicone muffin pans.

//makes a note that prof. tek enjoys silicone muffins.

SkekTek

no1 wrote://makes a note that prof. tek enjoys silicone muffins.

makes a note that no1 is shirking his responsibility of crossposting my earlier statement to that other thread...

no1

Mavyn wrote:Not really. For most purposes, straight from the bag will be just fine. To me, it makes a difference...but so does salted vs unsalted butter, vs margarine, vs shortening, vs lard.

mmmm.... lard .....

no1

SkekTek wrote:makes a note that no1 is shirking his responsibility of crossposting my earlier statement to that other thread...

self shirking leads to hairy palms and blindness.

Mavyn

no1 wrote:mmmm.... lard .....

You don't know good pastry until you've had it made with lard.

Certainly not something one should eat every day, but the difference in melting point changes the mouth feel and flavor.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

pan is Orc's, garage sale find.

I'm thinking one of these 1, 2, but I'll go back and look at what mayvn posted. I like baking, I just don't get the chance often.

I feel sifting is necessary, otherwise you get a heavy baked good (I even sift box mixes if I use them).

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
Mavyn wrote:You don't know good pastry until you've had it made with lard.

Certainly not something one should eat every day, but the difference in melting point changes the mouth feel and flavor.

I always use shortening in pie crusts, should I be using lard?

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

SkekTek

pooflady wrote:I always use shortening in pie crusts, should I be using lard?

Wife uses lard to make biscuits. Her grandmother lived on a farm for decades, and used lard in everything.

Was the same grandmother that fried eggs in an inch of oil.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:I always use shortening in pie crusts, should I be using lard?

I'm not a fan of pie crust, but I like the lard. Grandma had to switch while Ver2 was intolerant to soy.

dname - Ver1 is reading Noisy Nora to me. She's stuck on the word banged right now.

KtCallista

SkekTek wrote:Wife uses lard to make biscuits. Her grandmother lived on a farm for decades, and used lard in everything.

biscuits I need to work on, not so good with breads. . .. need practice. I have a friend that's amazing, but she moved away.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
SkekTek wrote:Wife uses lard to make biscuits. Her grandmother lived on a farm for decades, and used lard in everything.

My grandmother and mother always used bacon grease for eggs. And most other fryable items.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:My grandmother and mother always used bacon grease for eggs. And most other fryable items.

mmmmmm