cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
pooflady wrote:My grandmother and mother always used bacon grease for eggs. And most other fryable items.

my dad does that. I suppose I do that as well...

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
cruzer wrote:my dad does that. I suppose I do that as well...

Tastes better. Much better.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
pooflady wrote:I always use shortening in pie crusts, should I be using lard?

It really will make a difference. *shrugs* I don't recommend it, simply because of the health consequences, but try it, see which you prefer.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:It really will make a difference. *shrugs* I don't recommend it, simply because of the health consequences, but try it, see which you prefer.

I only make pies at Thanksgiving, doubt if it will shorten our lives by too much.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
pooflady wrote:Tastes better. Much better.

I agree.

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:I agree.

Someday I'm going to get the energy to make one batch of french fries in lard. McD's used to be soooooo good.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Someday I'm going to get the energy to make one batch of french fries in lard. McD's used to be soooooo good.

As soon as we could drive, we would go for fries and a strawberry shake.

I wouldn't drive for either now.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Mavyn

pooflady wrote:Someday I'm going to get the energy to make one batch of french fries in lard. McD's used to be soooooo good.

French fries are just a vehicle for a condiment.

Plus most places coat them in salt...yuck!

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Mavyn wrote:French fries are just a vehicle for a condiment.

mmm fry sauce! The only reason to eat fries!

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Mavyn

KtCallista wrote:mmm fry sauce! The only reason to eat fries!

Exactly. I try to follow the guideline that if I wouldn't eat it without some sort of sauce, I shouldn't eat it at all. So, no fries for me. I don't eat potato chips, or onion rings, or baked potatoes either, for the same reason.

Better off just taking a spoonful of the sauce.

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:Exactly. I try to follow the guideline that if I wouldn't eat it without some sort of sauce, I shouldn't eat it at all. So, no fries for me. I don't eat potato chips, or onion rings, or baked potatoes either, for the same reason.

Better off just taking a spoonful of the sauce.

Baked potatoes are a base, like pasta or rice. But then they aren't a side either, they fill or nearly fill your plate.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
Mavyn wrote:French fries are just a vehicle for a condiment.

yumm!!

Love french fries. And agree that with a Strawberry shake they are grand.

Mavyn

KtCallista wrote:Baked potatoes are a base, like pasta or rice. But then they aren't a side either, they fill or nearly fill your plate.

But I'll eat plain rice, or plain pasta...I won't eat a plain baked potato. Put sour cream, cheese, butter, etc...can't taste the potato anymore, so what's the point?

I know, strange. *shrugs*

I LOVE baked sweet potatoes, though...will happily have that as a whole meal!

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
Mavyn wrote:But I'll eat plain rice, or plain pasta...I won't eat a plain baked potato. Put sour cream, cheese, butter, etc...can't taste the potato anymore, so what's the point?

Baked with cheese and green onion. mmmmm
Potato not the impostor.They're just nasty and orange and such.

In the end only kindness matters

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:But I'll eat plain rice, or plain pasta...I won't eat a plain baked potato. Put sour cream, cheese, butter, etc...can't taste the potato anymore, so what's the point?

I can't do plain pasta, not as a meal. Needs at least spice and oil or butter or something. For that matter I prefer a sauce on my rice.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Still talking food I see...

Just had a chicken patty sandwich with buffalo hot sauce on it. Not the most cuisinary meal, but was tasty.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
SkekTek wrote:Still talking food I see...

nothing wrong with that in my book.

envious of your buffalo sandwich. lunch here was a bit more regrettable.

Ate the last one of my free* Lunchables "sub sandwiches" -- if you can call it a sandwich, that is. four silver-dollar sized slices of lunchmeat and four postage stamp slivers of cheese with a packet of mayo on a medium size preservative laden dinner roll is not a sandwich, even by my lenient standards for edible food.

*free in that it didn't cost money. in fact the store paid me (albeit not enough in retrospect) to take it home. my gut however is still making payments on this thing.

cruzer

SkekTek wrote:Still talking food I see...

Just had a chicken patty sandwich with buffalo hot sauce on it. Not the most cuisinary meal, but was tasty.

You should try a buffalo chicken pizza.

Turken

cruzer wrote:You should try a buffalo chicken pizza.

yes! in fact, we've found that pretty much any pizza is even better with a buffalo/blue-cheese sauce drizzled on top!

edit: except for the Sam's Club cafe next door. They don't have the foggiest effin' clue how to make a buffalo chicken pizza. Soggy crust, ranch dressing (ranch!? RANCH!?) instead of marinara and/or buffalo sauce, some mozzarella, and a few chunks of of pre-cooked "buffalo chicken tenders." utterly fails at both pizza and buffalo chicken.

SkekTek

cruzer wrote:You should try a buffalo chicken pizza.

Papa John's sells one here. Tasty.

Well, we just finished cooking the turkey. Yep, a TURKEY, in the oven. Smells great.

So we're eating trypophan-laced birdy goodness for dinner. Plus, enough juice is in the roaster so that we'll have excellent stuffing too.

Nommy nom noms.

avosgo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avosgo

That's funny, I've been craving buffalo lately!

Just found a granola bar that was stashed away in my desk. Wish I knew it was there yesterday, but SO happy it's here today!

cruzer

SkekTek wrote:Papa John's sells one here. Tasty.

Well, we just finished cooking the turkey. Yep, a TURKEY, in the oven. Smells great.

So we're eating trypophan-laced birdy goodness for dinner. Plus, enough juice is in the roaster so that we'll have excellent stuffing too.

Nommy nom noms.

oooh...I see a tryptophan induced coma in your future

cruzer

avosgo wrote:That's funny, I've been craving buffalo lately!

Just found a granola bar that was stashed away in my desk. Wish I knew it was there yesterday, but SO happy it's here today!

heh...I didn't know we had so many spicy food eaters around here. I thought most didn't really like spicy that much.

SkekTek

cruzer wrote:heh...I didn't know we had so many spicy food eaters around here. I thought most didn't really like spicy that much.

Spicy = GOOOOOOD.

Mavyn

cruzer wrote:heh...I didn't know we had so many spicy food eaters around here. I thought most didn't really like spicy that much.

As long as I can still taste something other than heat, I like spice. Doesn't bother me to have things really hot, I just don't see the point of getting nothing but fire.

I've not found any place local that does a good buffalo chicken. But then, I haven't really looked either...

cruzer

Mavyn wrote:As long as I can still taste something other than heat, I like spice. Doesn't bother me to have things really hot, I just don't see the point of getting nothing but fire.

I've not found any place local that does a good buffalo chicken. But then, I haven't really looked either...

My mom bought a sauce from mexico that would burn your mouth from one drop it was so hot. That was not edible. Things like Tabasco sauce are no longer hot to me, though.

KtCallista

We have 4 new Thai places to try, and a Japanese place, but I've personally never been that found of the buffalo chicken thing. However the college pizza place does make a good spicy chicken pizza.

Turken

Mavyn wrote:As long as I can still taste something other than heat, I like spice. Doesn't bother me to have things really hot, I just don't see the point of getting nothing but fire.

very true. heat without flavor is not good noms.

we never did find any good wing places near us after moving away from western NY. (*sniff* So long, Alfred Sub and Pizza Shop. *sniff*) Eventually, I had to buy a small deep fryer so I could make my own.

Not too long ago, came across the Good Eats recipe for buffalo wings and gave it a try -- EXCELLENT results! A little time consuming to make, but they're also baked instead of fried, which makes them halfway decent for you! Haven't used the fryer at all since finding that recipe.

avosgo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avosgo

Opinions, please: Is it weird to like Buffalo but not anything else spicy such as peppers?

Turken

avosgo wrote:Opinions, please: Is it weird to like Buffalo but not anything else spicy such as peppers?

Not really. Peppers = pepper flavor + spiciness.

Buffalo = pepper + spicy, but drowning in butter with a touch of garlic. Whole different flavor.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Afternoon , all.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ugh.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

SkekTek

Turken wrote:Not really. Peppers = pepper flavor + spiciness.

Buffalo = pepper + spicy, but drowning in butter with a touch of garlic. Whole different flavor.

I think buffalo = spicy + vinegar.

Other sauces are not so vinegarry, such as ones with a carrot or mustard base.

Waiting for kids to vacate the kitchen so we can enjoy the turkee.

pooflady

Can't handle any kind of spicy. Fortunately, husband can't either. Have to check menus closely for the buzzwords: spicy, southwestern, zesty, zing. And you can't trust servers to tell you the truth. And really annoys me if there's nothing in the menu description like that and the item is hot.

Turken

SkekTek wrote:I think buffalo = spicy + vinegar.

I always thought hot sauce (i.e. Frank's) is made of spicy + vinegar, but the magic that turns Frank's into Buffalo Sauce is the butter.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:Can't handle any kind of spicy. Fortunately, husband can't either. Have to check menus closely for the buzzwords: spicy, southwestern, zesty, zing. And you can't trust servers to tell you the truth. And really annoys me if there's nothing in the menu description like that and the item is hot.

That's because one person's flavorful is another person's spicy, there are similar things for sweetness in other countries where on everything has sugar in it.

pooflady

Wonder when they're going to get regular Woot back to normal.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback

It has worked ok for me all day

//edit// I stand corrected.....very slow

//edited edit// editing a post is fast. posting is slow

In the end only kindness matters

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
ThunderThighs wrote:Ugh.

Hi, ugh.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

SkekTek