tennisplayer121

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tennisplayer121
ThunderThighs wrote:I feel your pain. At least I can probate and have numbers to developers if it's too bad.

I can give "infractions" with vbulletin crap, but they don't have them set up to do anything except they get a pm stating they received an infraction. Lol. It's not even as bad as "a slap on the hand."

Last Post

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
tennisplayer121 wrote:What happened with the bakery's free wi-fi?

I don't know, they don't usually follow up their stories.

Still single, can't imagine why.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

I'm not sure about the legislation where Fen is, but here you are responsible for the wireless signal you put out, so if your neighbor is being malicious with your connection, then you are legally responsible UNLESS you have used best practices to keep them out - ie they break the lock then they are now responsible, because you tried to keep them out.

It is in your best interest poof to help your neighbors. Plus, it does seem like they are trying to do things and their son is sneaking internet after they are in bed. I did this as a teen (although wireless was still pretty much a dream at that point).

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

FenStar

IMO people are responsible for their own actions, and I find it sad that people want others to be responsible for their actions. I do not wish to get in a fight just because I got myself worked up over something stupid. Therefore I will refrain from further discussion.

Poof was only asking for how to secure her network, so in the end the rest is none of my business. Also, I think poof knows a lot more about how to act in such situations.

FenStar

So, has anyone bought toner online before? I was thinking I might get this

Refilling the toner myself is cheaper, but it just makes such a mess. I asked a local place how much it costs to refill and they said $57. I can buy a new one for that price. :/

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
ThunderThighs wrote:Brand? Model?

Of what? The router?

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Afternoon.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

pooflady

AZGman wrote:Afternoon.

Hello.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

AZGman

pooflady wrote:Hello.

Hi, poof. Rain just started here. Doesn't look like it'll last long.

AZGman

Been a long, busy day; I'm pooped. Can't hang for the talkers to show up. G'night.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

Night, AZGman.

I've been busy too, scanned in a slew of old pictures and documents, and got the spare room almost ready. Should have it done tomorrow, no problem.

Taking a break to rename the scanned pictures and organize them with a movie in the background.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

Poof

Do you just have the one laptop? Is this the computer son installed the router on?

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:Poof

Do you just have the one laptop? Is this the computer son installed the router on?

No laptop, just the PC. Just talked to him and he's going to try to come over tomorrow and do that. He suggested I rename (?) it to either "how about controlling your kid yourself" or "stop burning stinky stuff when I have my windows open."

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Of what? The router?

Yes.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Mavyn

'notyourinternet' is always fun.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:No laptop, just the PC. Just talked to him and he's going to try to come over tomorrow and do that. He suggested I rename (?) it to either "how about controlling your kid yourself" or "stop burning stinky stuff when I have my windows open."

Heh. My iphone automatically checks for wifi when I open my email. One day it picked up one called "back up off my internet"

made me think of changing the name on mine it was so funny.

Edit: And I get the parents asking you to secure your internet. It's best for you as well. BUT. Maybe they should lock up their darn computer too, if they can't control their kid.

KtCallista

'mine'
'goAway'
'not yours'
'get off my lawn'

although you need a password too. changing the name won't even slow him down, plus if anyone else does something bad on your internet connection, the way most contracts are written you are responsible for all use of your connection.

kdccrosby

Mavyn wrote:'notyourinternet' is always fun.

That's a good one too!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

All I know is that hubby has to "allow" any device to get onto our internet.
Since son's friends bring computers at times, he has to take some number off it so they can get on.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

kdccrosby

dontwantaname wrote:All I know is that hubby has to "allow" any device to get onto our internet.
Since son's friends bring computers at times, he has to take some number off it so they can get on.

I have a password on mine and the wireless at sister's. you have to know the password to get onto the internet.

ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:All I know is that hubby has to "allow" any device to get onto our internet.

Son just asks for the WEP key. He knows where it's kept in my file cabinet.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

kdccrosby

ThunderThighs wrote:Son just asks for the WEP key. He knows where it's kept in my file cabinet.

I think that is the password I'm talking about. I enter it once on a new computer when connecting to my wireless internet.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

possibly the MAC address, which is a different security thingy than the wep or wpa password.

KtCallista

no1 wrote:possibly the MAC address, which is a different security thingy than the wep or wpa password.

FIL had a persistent internet leech when we visited last and Orc blocked them via their mac address, which is a good solution if you just want to stop specific computers.

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote:FIL had a persistent internet leech when we visited last and Orc blocked them via their mac address, which is a good solution if you just want to stop specific computers.

Can someone with a mac get on my internet? If I have windows and set up the key/password when I set up my router?

ThunderThighs

Staff

kdccrosby wrote:Can someone with a mac get on my internet? If I have windows and set up the key/password when I set up my router?

MAC address is a hardware address that every network device has... wireless, ethernet, etc.

FORUM MODERATOR

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

kdccrosby wrote:Can someone with a mac get on my internet? If I have windows and set up the key/password when I set up my router?

MAC address doesn't mean mac computers per se, it's just a network thing.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

ThunderThighs wrote:MAC address is a hardware address that every network device has... wireless, ethernet, etc.

You beat me to it. Bah for doing two things at once.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

kdccrosby

ThunderThighs wrote:MAC address is a hardware address that every network device has... wireless, ethernet, etc.

*sigh* I don't always understand this stuff.

I think I'm secure. If I bring in a new device, I have to enter a password when I try to connect to my wireless network the first time. so I hope I'm secure.

kdccrosby

So in one week my town lost a beloved teacher to cancer, and the little girl who has been fighting leukemia and the after effects of her "cure".

The teacher was a high school science teacher when I was in school, and was later at the lower level schools.

The little girl is the one I went to a benefit for a few months ago, who my nephew knows. He's going to be sad.

KtCallista

mac address is like a social security number for a network device. Everyone gets one at birth, you can't change it, and to do anything meaningful you have to broadcast it to those you are immediately connected to.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

KtCallista wrote:mac address is like a social security number for a network device. Everyone gets one at birth, you can't change it, and to do anything meaningful you have to broadcast it to those you are immediately connected to.

That's an excellent way to put it.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:So in one week my town lost a beloved teacher to cancer, and the little girl who has been fighting leukemia and the after effects of her "cure".

The teacher was a high school science teacher when I was in school, and was later at the lower level schools.

The little girl is the one I went to a benefit for a few months ago, who my nephew knows. He's going to be sad.

That's so sad, I'm so sorry to hear that.

kdccrosby

superspryte wrote:That's an excellent way to put it.

and makes sense too!

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:and makes sense too!

aww thanks

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:So in one week my town lost a beloved teacher to cancer, and the little girl who has been fighting leukemia and the after effects of her "cure".

What a shame. A friend called about an hour ago, his wife's in the hospital with double pneumonia. About a month ago she just got on maintenance (not sure what that is) because of cancer.

Mavyn

pooflady wrote:What a shame. A friend called about an hour ago, his wife's in the hospital with double pneumonia. About a month ago she just got on maintenance (not sure what that is) because of cancer.

Maintenance usually means the cancer growth is gone, treatments continue to keep it from coming back.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Sorry.
My friend died of side effects from her cure, but it took 30 years. This is much sadder

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

kdccrosby

dontwantaname wrote:Sorry.
My friend died of side effects from her cure, but it took 30 years. This is much sadder

Basically, the last post that was shared from the family was that Maddie was ready to go to heaven.

And as for the teacher, I didn't even have him and remember him more clearly than some teachers I did have. One of those people that touched lives. Always positive, always tough, expected the best of everyone. Walked around singing in the halls. Great guy.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

kdccrosby wrote:Basically, the last post that was shared from the family was that Maddie was ready to go to heaven.

And as for the teacher, I didn't even have him and remember him more clearly than some teachers I did have. One of those people that touched lives. Always positive, always tough, expected the best of everyone. Walked around singing in the halls. Great guy.

We all had a teacher like that. You've inspired me to look mine up the next chance I get; the problem is I have to wait until I'm in the area again...