mjvaughn

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mjvaughn

It gets worse!

Suffolk County, NY, United States (AHN) - A 36-year-old Long Island, N.Y. man blew his arm off while igniting illegally-bought fireworks this Fourth of July weekend.

Eric Smith remains in critical condition in the hospital, where surgeons were unable to reattach his arm. He was attempting to fire a mortar bomb out of a metal pipe, but he didn’t get out of the way in time.

Suffolk County Police told the New York Daily News that Smith was leaning over the pipe when it went off.

He could face criminal charges for possessing and igniting the fireworks.

Bazinga!

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
mjvaughn wrote:
He could face criminal charges for possessing and igniting the fireworks.

Can't they just call it good?

Nothing follows.

mjvaughn

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mjvaughn
taternuggets wrote:Can't they just call it good?

I forgot they were illegal in NY. That just sucks. I wonder what kind of sentence you get for that?

Bazinga!

taternuggets

mjvaughn wrote:I forgot they were illegal in NY. That just sucks. I wonder what kind of sentence you get for that?

You'd think they could just let it go with the arm. But it would probably be a fine unless they go with endangering children or something.

Nothing follows.

tennisplayer121

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tennisplayer121
mjvaughn wrote:I forgot they were illegal in NY. That just sucks. I wonder what kind of sentence you get for that?

http://www.nyrealestatelawblog.com/2010/07/dont_get_burned_by_fireworks.html

$250 fine, got up'ed in New York City (maybe) to $750. I don't know, just skimmed through that, but it looks like just a fine.

Last Post

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Evenin', all.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

taternuggets

AZGman wrote:Evenin', all.

Evening. It's about time to go burn money in the driveway here.

Nothing follows.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

Possession is only illegal if you're not licensed. Had I stayed in the state after grad school, by now I most likely would have gone through pyrotechnics school to get certified.

Other fun thing about going legit is that you're not just blowing off consumer grade stuff -- you get to learn all the chemistry involved and how to mix and build your own professional shells and shows, etc.

Only problem being the prohibitive cost of firing off your own private professional show.

AZGman

taternuggets wrote:Evening. It's about time to go burn money in the driveway here.

Driveway shows are startin' up here, too.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
AZGman wrote:Driveway shows are startin' up here, too.

Still kind of early here. Too light out.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

AZGman

pooflady wrote:Still kind of early here. Too light out.

Dark enough here now; just a hint of light in the west.

pooflady

AZGman wrote:Dark enough here now; just a hint of light in the west.

We're on the very edge of the time zone.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

pooflady

Google's home page is kind of fun today.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
AZGman wrote:Dark enough here now; just a hint of light in the west.

Still too light here - but I expect it to be starting up soon.

AZGman

It's gettin' noisy; Flash ain't likin' it!

pooflady

There's a GPS I'm considering buying. Walmart has them online, but not in the store, but I can have it shipped to the store at no charge. If I should have to return it for some reason, do you know if I can return it to the store or do I have to send it back to Walmart?

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

The block is fulling up with cars. We are a block down from to unofficial spot to send up your fireworks. Except the guys a few houses down have decided that they an set them off in the street in front of the house. Where are thoses shells falling????
That is why I watered everything today for hours.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

But the grass in that park is really dry. I bet it will go on fire.
The best part is when one group of people setting stuff off, runs away from their stuff, right into the next group.
Honestly, I'm shocked the town hasnt been sued.
No cops, so nobody has been hurt in a few years.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:But the grass in that park is really dry. I bet it will go on fire.
The best part is when one group of people setting stuff off, runs away from their stuff, right into the next group.
Honestly, I'm shocked the town hasnt been sued.
No cops, so nobody has been hurt in a few years.

They get hurt if there's cops around?

AZGman

dontwantaname wrote:The block is fulling up with cars. We are a block down from to unofficial spot to send up your fireworks. Except the guys a few houses down have decided that they an set them off in the street in front of the house. Where are thoses shells falling????
That is why I watered everything today for hours.

Does that make you a hoser??

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
kdccrosby wrote:That is my FAVORITE Geico commercial.

Happy 4th everybody!

It certainly is my new favorite

Good evening all.

In the end only kindness matters

taternuggets

Iceback wrote:It certainly is my new favorite

Good evening all.

I can just watch it over and over. lol.

So fakon dad of the year nominee right here. My year old grocery store purchased fireworks were not exactly the incredible spectacle my 6 year old daughter dreamed of all day.

Good thing the neighbors blew a wad of cash. Although it just made her look at me with even more shame in her eye.

I'll blow a grand next year just to erase the memory. lol.

Nothing follows.

kdccrosby

taternuggets wrote:I can just watch it over and over. lol.

So fakon dad of the year nominee right here. My year old grocery store purchased fireworks were not exactly the incredible spectacle my 6 year old daughter dreamed of all day.

Good thing the neighbors blew a wad of cash. Although it just made her look at me with even more shame in her eye.

I'll blow a grand next year just to erase the memory. lol.

lol - oops.

When I was a kid my grandparents blew a fortune on mail-ordered fireworks. Huge show every year that the neighbors always watched.

Evidently - the grandparents were in competition with a family either down the street or a couple of streets over. So it got bigger and bigger every year.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just saw The Karate Kid. Great movie. Two pitchers of margaritas didn't hurt. But still a darn good movie.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

taternuggets

kdccrosby wrote:lol - oops.

When I was a kid my grandparents blew a fortune on mail-ordered fireworks. Huge show every year that the neighbors always watched.

Evidently - the grandparents were in competition with a family either down the street or a couple of streets over. So it got bigger and bigger every year.

I never knew they had mail-order fireworks.

We can go over to Tampa and buy the big mortars and stuff. I just didn't do it this year because up until now, flicking a bic lighter would impress my daughter. Apparently she just hit the age where that wont cut it anymore.

You have to sign an affidavit that you will only use the fireworks to scare birds away from your crops or something. It's amazing how many farmers go shopping there on the 4th.

Nothing follows.

taternuggets

ThunderThighs wrote:Just saw The Karate Kid. Great movie. Two pitchers of margaritas didn't hurt. But still a darn good movie.

worth the downlo... i mean ticket price?

Nothing follows.

pooflady

The recession may have forced cities and towns to cancel or downsize their fireworks shows, but there's a lot of individuals who can spend a pile on them. Just sat on the back deck watching and there's a lot of really big stuff being set off.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

No cops. Still going on, but slowed down.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:They get hurt if there's cops around?

Cops stop it.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

AZGman

Beginning to quiet up here, too.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:The recession may have forced cities and towns to cancel or downsize their fireworks shows, but there's a lot of individuals who can spend a pile on them. Just sat on the back deck watching and there's a lot of really big stuff being set off.

Houston has one of the biggest in the country. It's going on right now, along with my neighbor's.

Edit: And the entire area where the crowds are was completely underwater (to the top of the tents) 1 - 2 days ago!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I'm waiting for it to get dark...first time since 2005 that I might get to see fireworks!!!

I considered going to Pismo, to see them over the ocean, but I REALLY needed to spend the day packing.

Not nearly as enjoyable...but it's almost done.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Damn, I stay outside and nothing. I come inside and I hear the big stuff.
No win.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

AZGman

kdccrosby wrote:Houston has one of the biggest in the country. It's going on right now, along with my neighbor's.

Edit: And the entire area where the crowds are was completely underwater (to the top of the tents) 1 - 2 days ago!

A tad soggy down there?

AZGman

dontwantaname wrote:Damn, I stay outside and nothing. I come inside and I hear the big stuff.
No win.

What does Rusty think of the noise?

taternuggets

dontwantaname wrote:Damn, I stay outside and nothing. I come inside and I hear the big stuff.
No win.

If you want to guarantee you are outside for a big one, walk a mastiff.

I nearly lost my arm.

Nothing follows.

ThunderThighs

Staff

taternuggets wrote:worth the downlo... i mean ticket price?

Definitely. This wasn't even the "big" screen. Just a regular screen at the movie tavern. Jaden Smith has the makings of a great actor.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

Staff

AZGman wrote:Beginning to quiet up here, too.

Nothing here yet. Not sure if there would be in this neighborhood. It's pretty small and tight. Was worried walking Maisy just now but all was quiet.

FORUM MODERATOR

taternuggets

ThunderThighs wrote:Definitely. This wasn't even the "big" screen. Just a regular screen at the movie tavern. Jaden Smith has the makings of a great actor.

cool. I'm "buying my ticket" now.

Edit: So, I always wonder about these children actors of actor parents. Think they really wanted to do it on their own? I'm not judging them, just curious about it.

Nothing follows.

ThunderThighs

Staff

taternuggets wrote:cool. I'm "buying my ticket" now.

Definitely a good movie for a 6yr old.

FORUM MODERATOR