bobqmccracken

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobqmccracken

woot! I can't tell you how much I love your product descriptions.

Love you <3

bankinandtankin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bankinandtankin
MichaelSF wrote:These are not safe for work. Your better bet is getting the Massimo in-ear earphones when they show up on Woot. No one can hear a thing with those.

And they have come up on Woot ever since I have been a member, so save your money and buy those.

Sounds good, i'd rep you if I knew how

Time for the waiting game i guess...... looks like my peers will have to deal w/ my obnoxious techno another day!

dkalnz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dkalnz

Oh hey also, you're still ripping yourself off via the AP because even though they would be throwing 17 bucks at you, you guys at woot still had to pay for those headphones. You need to count profits too! You need to wage war against those cheapskates at the Associated Press!
"come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our headphones, but they'll never take our freedom!"

jpb4321

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jpb4321

I've had Sennheiser ear buds (MX500) for years and years. Very comfortable and best sound quality considering cost and size. Mine are great on the plane - drowns out most background noise, but can still hear when attendant comes by.

Groxx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Groxx

I've got a different pair of Sennheiser earbuds (and other posters are correct, these are NOT in-ear, they're earbuds), and they're excellent. Better sound quality than most headphones people use, by a fair degree too.

Sennheiser makes very good stuff, you *can't* go wrong with anything mid-grade (or lower) from them, especially for such a low price. I prefer Grados to Sennheisers on the high-quality end, but Grado doesn't make earbuds, and I'm *really* picky

depward

quality posts: 6 Private Messages depward

I love these earbuds; had to order a two-pack for back-ups for my current ones. I use them primarily for PSP gaming and they're great!

thingyt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thingyt

This is an excellent price for these (I personally prefer the MX500 with in-line volume control); they are better than most earbuds I have tried.

You can pick up extra foam covers at any Radio Shack for around a buck.

Black wires also keep the thugs away.

As to longevity, the wire where the earbud connects is most likely to fail if you pull/twist/bend too much when inserting and removing. Just drop them in your ear and let the wire find the notch in your ear. I haven't broken mine from 2005 yet.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1908 Private Messages NightGhost

Video review at Expo TV

filenamedotexe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages filenamedotexe

Sweet blog post! Do let us know if they pay up. A copy of the receipt would be priceless!

Oh, yeah. Nice price for 2 Sennheiser Earphones. I'm thinking about it...

NightGhost

Replacement Earbud Foam Covers are cheap at Amazon.

blckshirt98

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blckshirt98

Sennheiser makes what I think are hands down the best full size headphones on the planet. I bought some Sennheiser MX-5 earbuds at retail based on the name alone and they were great. These earbuds at $3.50 should be a steal, though I haven't used this model specifically. One drawback is the "classic" earbud design - they're not the best for blocking out outside noise and some sound will escape.

To contrast I also got a pair of Razer m100's from Woot, and I personally like the Razer's better because of the in-ear design. Better bass and better isolation from outside noise, they're basically earplugs.

The Sennheiser CX series earbuds have the same in-ear design as the m100's and would be the better choice, but for the price these are a great deal.

blueconversechucks

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blueconversechucks

TWO YEAR SENNHEISER WARRANTY? That seems almost absurd for $7 earbuds. Does anybody know how responsive Sennheiser customer service is? I go through headphones faster than anything. What happens to me all the time is, one side dies so I'm stuck listening out of just the side that lives on. Does anybody think they would replace my Sennheiser earbuds if this happened?

Either way, I am in for six. I am almost out of headphones. I am down to the free pair that Virgin Airlines (??) was handing out on the street by my workplace a couple years ago.

hintysen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hintysen

Hey Woot writers, you're dead wrong. No amount of post-modern anti-journalistic snarkiness makes up for it.

The AP story you linked to lifted 24 words from your blog -- all in quotations, very clearly attributed. The quotations constitute less than 2 percent of the original blog. Plus, it's a company's CEO talking about company news. As such, it falls clearly within fair use guidelines. So your lulz-seeking writers and readers are showing ignorance and a mean streak.

So what? Here's what: I just un-bookmarked you. And if you say "so what" to that, then I wasted a whole lot of moments checking what you had for sale.

a1102688

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a1102688

The is great products

NightGhost

hintysen wrote:Hey Woot writers, you're dead wrong. No amount of post-modern anti-journalistic snarkiness makes up for it.

The AP story you linked to lifted 24 words from your blog -- all in quotations, very clearly attributed. The quotations constitute less than 2 percent of the original blog. Plus, it's a company's CEO talking about company news. As such, it falls clearly within fair use guidelines. So your lulz-seeking writers and readers are showing ignorance and a mean streak.

So what? Here's what: I just un-bookmarked you. And if you say "so what" to that, then I wasted a whole lot of moments checking what you had for sale.

Confucius say He who take Woot blog too seriously should not play Twister with drunken hippopotamus.

Chubaka2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chubaka2
hintysen wrote:Hey Woot writers, you're dead wrong. No amount of post-modern anti-journalistic snarkiness makes up for it.

If you take the words on this site that seriously, I'm surprised you haven't buggered off sooner.

stevieboy628p

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stevieboy628p

The woot staff removed my previous post and put the 2fortuesday sign in its place. No thanks needed. I was only looking out for my woot friends.

khunjeff

quality posts: 21 Private Messages khunjeff

These are good quality earbuds, but I don't understand how they could possibly be described as "in-ear".

brianes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianes
khunjeff wrote:These are good quality earbuds, but I don't understand how they could possibly be described as "in-ear".

Methinks you confuse "in ear" with "in canal."

Yeah, buds go in the ear. The better ones go in the ear canal -- sometimes called "canalphones" for clarity. Very popular in Venice and all of the Netherlands, btw.

NightGhost

khunjeff wrote:These are good quality earbuds, but I don't understand how they could possibly be described as "in-ear".

"In-ear headphones" is another way of saying "earbuds," and they do fit into your ears, although they don't go in as far as the skinny kind (e.g. the Wicked Little Earbuds that Woot sold earlier).

edit: wow - I'm not the only one still awake to answer this question. I don't think "in-canal" earbuds are necessarily better (although they are for noise cancellation). The ones on sale here sound good and are probably safer.

SineAzaroth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SineAzaroth

These look like the ones I got with my iriver 9 years ago. They've outlasted the player and I still use them from time to time. They're great low-end headphones.

richkader

quality posts: 1 Private Messages richkader

I have these from my iRiver H10. The iMetal 490's I got off Woot absolutely blows these away. I would only recommend these if you do not like 'canalphones'.

rd385

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rd385

I'm in for a pair. Great replacement for the cheapo earphones I currently have, which I will probably roof when these arrive on my doorstep. If they are anything like the Sennheiser HD201 headphones that I have, I'll be happy.

Good looks Senor Woot!

fallfarewell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fallfarewell

I love my Sennheiser HD202's and HD238's. I'm very impressed with the brand. Buying these as 1) backup headphones and 2) gym headphones.

I use expensive ones at the gym right now, but I'd rather not subject them to the wear and tear, sweat, and I have issues with the rubber earpieces on those falling off.

These should work well.

unsupported

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unsupported

In for two. I regret breaking my old Sennheiser in ears. Now I will always have a backup pair!

d12welve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d12welve

LOL at the product description, instant classic!!

SuperTully

quality posts: 32 Private Messages SuperTully

So does the music sound a lot better throughout these than through the default ear buds you get with any mp3 player?

NJT - Woot!

southcutt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages southcutt
NightGhost wrote:Are in-ear headphones safe?

From that article: "In-ear sound isolating earphones (also known as ear canal earphones or in-ear monitors - IEMs) create a seal within the ear canal that blocks out external noise. The concern is whether ear canal earphones cause sound pressure levels that are too high and therefore cause hearing damage." So, not applicable to these outer-ear earbuds, although excessive sound pressure levels from any source will cause hearing loss over time.

NightGhost wrote:"In-ear headphones" is another way of saying "earbuds," and they do fit into your ears, although they don't go in as far as the skinny kind (e.g. the Wicked Little Earbuds that Woot sold earlier).

edit: wow - I'm not the only one still awake to answer this question. I don't think "in-canal" earbuds are necessarily better (although they are for noise cancellation). The ones on sale here sound good and are probably safer.

No, "in-ear headphones" normally means in-canal, such as the iMetal ones Woot offers from time to time (and which are shockingly good for the price). These Sennheisers are outer-ear "earbuds," not in-ear headphones.

If you compared the same driver (a.k.a. transducer) in an earbud form factor and an in-ear (in-canal) form factor, the latter would sound much better. This is due entirely to sound isolation—not noise cancellation; that involves microphones and active electronics—because it blocks both external sound and, crucially, the back wave from the driver itself (which makes in-ear phones capable of far, far better bass response than earbuds).

That doesn't mean these earbuds don't sound good; only that they don't sound as good as in-ear headphones.

bengrimm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bengrimm
hintysen wrote:

Who bookmarks "woot.com" anyway? Aren't bookmarks for things that aren't easy to remember or type? It's impossible to forget Woot!, but is it really that hard to type ctrl-L, w, o, o, t, ctrl-enter?

GuidoFubini

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GuidoFubini

I have had a couple of pairs of these, lasting over 5 years- I am still using the second pair. I find these to be the most comfortable earbuds that I've ever had, and they stay in my ear nicely. Oh, and the sound quality is really good for the price as others have mentioned. Pretty much exactly what I expect from Sennheiser.

Perilous

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Perilous

I needed some replacement earbuds, so this is very timely.

However, even if I didnt need them I'd have bought them just because of the AWESOME writeup. I love it whenever anyone calls the big guys on the crap they like to pull with one hand while suing everyone else with the other.

Go, Woot, go! <3<3<3

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."

Wodinn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wodinn

One more voice from the Sennheiser bandwagon: CX300s are my headphones/earbuds of choice for everyday usage, they can't be beat. But beware of (dundunDUN) counterfeits! While I doubt Woot would get hoodwinked, I'm pretty sure I was once. The sound was sub-par and the noise created by the rubbing of the wires from the jack to the earplugs was horrendous.

How often does it happen? Often enough for Sennheiser to have a webpage about it.

gwpriester

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gwpriester

AP Hoisted on their own petard. Don't you love it? They've been screwing journalists and photographers for years. Now maybe with the weight of Amazom.com, WOOT can repay the favor.

keysercade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keysercade

Had these for three years with no issue. Used them at work, on planes and while exercising. I'm sure the "canalphones" are a little better for sound isolation, but you simply cannot find anything like this quality for the price/durability.

klacour

quality posts: 17 Private Messages klacour

My first woot-a-zon ...

In for 3 ... errr ... 6? The way my son and wife go thru headphones (by tightly wrapping them around the MP3 player), these should work out to a bout a years supply.

Being Sennheiser, they will more than likely last a whole lot longer.

A woot minion since 2006 ...

tekmaven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tekmaven

First woot!! Totally excited! After watching woot for years now, I've finally done it.

I've been looking for a cheap pair of decent headphones. In for 3 - that's 6 total. Going to hook up some family members too .

shawncl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shawncl

So here's the million-dollar question (for me anyways):

How big is the plug?

I have a couple first-gen iPhones (the ones with the recessed headphone jack) that will only takes phones with a plug small enough to slide into the recessed jack. Will these fit?

NightGhost

southcutt wrote:No, "in-ear headphones" normally means in-canal, such as the iMetal ones Woot offers from time to time (and which are shockingly good for the price). These Sennheisers are outer-ear "earbuds," not in-ear headphones.

Not everyone agrees. Others (including Woot and brianes, who posted just before I did) use another definition, which I was just trying to explain. So let's not waste time arguing semantics. See the photo here.

southcutt wrote:If you compared the same driver (a.k.a. transducer) in an earbud form factor and an in-ear (in-canal) form factor, the latter would sound much better. This is due entirely to sound isolation—not noise cancellation; that involves microphones and active electronics—because it blocks both external sound and, crucially, the back wave from the driver itself (which makes in-ear phones capable of far, far better bass response than earbuds).

That doesn't mean these earbuds don't sound good; only that they don't sound as good as in-ear headphones.

True that.

edit: I did mention that these might be safer than the in-canal type. Some users also report that they find them more comfortable.

another further different edit: Sennheiser calls these "street headphones." "Gangsta buds" is right out, though.

NightGhost

shawncl wrote:So here's the million-dollar question (for me anyways):

How big is the plug?

I have a couple first-gen iPhones (the ones with the recessed headphone jack) that will only takes phones with a plug small enough to slide into the recessed jack. Will these fit?

From the item page: "Connector: 3.5 mm jack plug" That's going to be a standard size jack.

Your iPhones do have 3.5 mm jacks, but you'd need to get an adapter for these.

That damned recessed iPhone headphone jack

ahfomike

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ahfomike

Good price. I'm in for 2 orders.