jtravel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jtravel

You can buy a Current Generation 8 GB refurbished direct from Apple outlet store
for $149 with free shipping. Note: they will however charge you sales Tax. Thats another $6 in my specific case bringing my cost from Apple direct to $155
The Woot deal at $134.99 shipped and no Tax
will saves me $20.01
The Advantage buying direct from Apple is they replace the outer cases,install a New battery,new ear buds and give you the full 1 year warranty.
The Woot deal only gives you 90 day warranty.
These Ipods are likely store returns that have been refurbished by a third party and not Apple. That means you could get a scratched case and used battery.
This has happened to some in the past.
OTOH some wooters have received perfect condition Ipods. some wooters have even been able with alittle work to get Apple to activate the full 12 month warranty on their refurbished woot Ipod.
What you have to ask yourself, Is the $20 savings worth taking the chanch on the uncertin hardware condition and warranty status issue?

burtanddi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages burtanddi
beninadelaide wrote:I admit it's a great price, but does the fact that this a refurb give anyone any hesitation?

Not a bit. All Apple refurbs come with new cases AND new batteries. You could put it up against a new one and not even know the difference. I have one and have never had a problem to date.

And yes, even though this is called a 3rd Gen due to the date it was made, it still has 2nd Gen parts in it. Only the 16 and 32 models got the better processor. Does that make a difference? Not to me. Great graphics as far as I can see. And the wi-fi is excellent as well.

There are hundreds of FREE apps out there. I use mine to check the weather channel, read the local newspaper, check the traffic cams via the local tv station app, see what's on Woot and ebay, surf Youtube, listen to free podcasts and play games. My 6yo daughter uses it to play games, she kills me on Extreme Waterslide. She also plays with kid based apps like matching games, math games, coloring and animated children stories. I'm also currently working my way through the classic book, The Count of Monte Cristo part of another free app I downloaded.

Oh and it also plays music...

jtravel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jtravel
burtanddi wrote: All Apple refurbs come with new cases AND new batteries. You could put it up against a new one and not even know the difference.

That statement is just not true!
only Apple manufacture refurbished Ipods come with New cases,batteries and full 12 month warranty.

Their are also Third Party refurbishers out there that receive and process retail store returns.
They will check the Ipod out and make sure it works and then resell it. If anything is broke they will repair and then resell it.

TJMaximus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages TJMaximus
That way, when you tell your spouse your going outside...

(red circle) Your/you're [/grammar Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!]

elvestinkle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages elvestinkle

I'm posting this from my 32G iTouch, so I'm really getting a kick out of these comments.

Got mine second hand so I didn't hafta pay a cent to Apple. Of course, the previous owner wiped it down to base firmware (1.1.4), but it works well enough that I don't feel cramped without apps.

I didn't see the firmware version this thing comes loaded with, though. Is it already 3.something, or would I need to pay the $5 to upgrade the firmware and fund Apple's evil DRM engine?

tubasparky

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tubasparky

I just read the description. Woot must be from the future to know that I would need a story like that to get my wife to let me buy one. I might be in for one. I'll let you know if the dry ice works.

djiigo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djiigo
gwintner wrote:Anyone know how this price compares to what a new one goes for, what a refurb one goes for elsewhere, and what Woot has sold this for previously?

Apple Store: Refurbished iPod touch, 8GB (current generation) goes for $149.00; step it up to a 32GB and the price goes up to $259 (refurb). I like the 64GB that was recently offered on woot...got it and lovin it!

rabinrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rabinrl
whcodered wrote:The Woot servers definitely took a dump tonight, huh?

Anyway, this is a better deal than from Apple themselves. Check it out: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC086?mco=MTM3NzY1NzA

That's the refurb from Apple, so it's a direct comparison.

Also keep in mind that they usually release an updated version of the iPod touch in early September.

Ah, but it's not a better deal than Apple. Apple charges $150 but gives you a one year guarantee. To get a one year guarantee from Woot, you'd have to spend another $20.

sterhill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sterhill

are there any hidden costs to use the wifi email, maps, net, etc? what is MobileMe?
Thanks!

tuliof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tuliof

Newbiew here.

For international buyiers, is it 5 dollars too?
:D

rono8582

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rono8582

even at a DEAL, this 8 gig still costs more than buying an iphone 3gs 8gig? those are $99! AND THEYRE NOT REFURB@!

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

Quick! Even though it has been posted probably six times, someone ELSE needs to point out that this is similar to the Apple Refurb deal. The sixth time is the charm! :D

Suck it, Trebek.

stodoverto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stodoverto

Orders are going through now just fine using papal. I purchased one of these on here a few months back and had it within days and am very happy with my purchase. This one is for my 2 girls so they stop using mine and moving all my apps which drives me nuts.

thomasz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thomasz

I'm tempted to get another one. The refurbs have been selling for a while.

It is the latest generation and can use iOS4 with all the features

No GPS but it has wireless AP based location.

Bluetooth works to SEND audio to A2DP - stereos. Haven't tried headsets. Haven't tried keyboards, rumors are mixed.

External microphones work fine - any iPod headset or external mic will enable voice memos, etc.

Skype works.

It does have the accelerometer but no compass, so tilt and games work. No camera if you didn't know already.

Sealed, so when the battery dies, it is back to apple.

If there is a light sensor it doesn't appear to work or I haven't noticed.

I use mine mainly for twit.tv, iBooks (view PDFs) or photos, maps/google earth, some surfing and the calendar. I hate the prison farm (you can exit walled gardens), but it is very thin and has its uses.

You still need to be chained to iTunes (or the Linux equivalent - it now works with libimobiledevice, ifuse, etc) to manipulate data on it. That limitation makes the iRoachMotel fine with 8GB, though under linux with ifuse it becomes more like a drive.

So it has all the plusses and minuses of the iOS4 platform, but at this price it is low risk

Bottom line: Access to 90% of the iPhone craze, but you can keep your working phone or buy a new one with the money saved. Or just get a headset and use Skype. 8G is more than enough if you stream.

Dan-802

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dan-802

Is it upgradeable to more than 8 gig??

BigRedDogATL

quality posts: 24 Private Messages BigRedDogATL

If you can't afford an iPhone, then buy this iPod Touch. When you hold it up to your ear people won't be able to tell the difference and you can think you are cool, even though you aren't.

chzhedinoh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chzhedinoh
bnedella wrote:Blackra1n

An absolute MUST on the iTouch

especially a refurbished with no Apple warranty to void

Doesn't the Apple refurb have a 1 year warranty vs. 90 day with Woot? So, what is meant by "with no Apple warranty to void"? Please explain

roadhunter

quality posts: 14 Private Messages roadhunter
TheSporkWithin wrote:It's worth pointing out that while this is a "current generation" model, it has the processing power of the 2nd generation of iPod touch, not the 3rd. This puts it somewhere between the iPhone 3G and the 3GS in terms of graphics abilities. That makes it fine for most things, but some newer games may not run, or have some graphical features disabled.

If this is 2nd generation, and not 3rd, then it's not a current generation model.

psac42

quality posts: 5 Private Messages psac42

You won't have to worry about anyone telling you "you're holding it the wrong way."

pianomc143

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pianomc143

[quote postid="4052008" user="gwintner"]Bought one off Woot May 1 I think for 149.00 and love it. No issues unless you count my butter fingers and now cracked screen

rhmurphy

quality posts: 19 Private Messages rhmurphy
sterhill wrote:are there any hidden costs to use the wifi email, maps, net, etc? what is MobileMe?
Thanks!

The iPod Touch uses WiFi for network connections. Using Internet applications such as Google Earth, Mail, the Safari web browser, etc. all use whatever wireless connection you give it. No extra cost.

MobileMe is an Apple-provided service that gives you a central site to store all of your stuff such as mail, contacts, and calendar. This allows you to sync your iPod and your PC, for example.

Apple charges $99 per year for MobileMe. ($149 for a family pack.)

Woot! Now 100+ woots for me!
That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

rhmurphy

Dan-802 wrote:Is it upgradeable to more than 8 gig??

No. Opening the case is possible (for example, see this You Tube video). However, the memory is soldered to the board. Even if you managed to find a larger pin-compatible chunk of flash memory, the installed firmware won't recognize the additional memory. Sorry.

I have an 8Gb iPod Touch and would love to upgrade it. Oh, I did - I bought a 32Gb one from Woot!

That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

SuperTully

quality posts: 32 Private Messages SuperTully

Once you go touch you never go back.

NJT - Woot!

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr
rono8582 wrote:even at a DEAL, this 8 gig still costs more than buying an iphone 3gs 8gig? those are $99! AND THEYRE NOT REFURB@!

ipods don't have expensive monthly service fees, the iphones do.

reservoird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages reservoird

i would stay clear of iOS4 - I put in on my iPhone 3G (slightly slower processor, same RAM as this iPod) and it's definitely slowed it down, and this is not an isolated opinion. The addition of threaded email and grouping of program icons is not, IMO, worth the decrease in operational speed.

NightGhost wrote:iOS4 Software Update

"Compatibility

The iOS 4 Software Update works with the second- and third-generation iPod touch. Not all features are compatible with all devices."

"For example, multitasking, custom wallpaper, and Bluetooth keyboard support are available only with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

velcrofog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages velcrofog

Arrgh! Across the nation--nay, the English-speaking world--the apostrophe and the "e" at the end of "you're" are pairing up and running off to the fabled island of e'e'e'e'e', and our copyeditors are just letting it happen! E tu, Woot?

sssprinkle

quality posts: 17 Private Messages sssprinkle
velcrofog wrote:Arrgh! Across the nation--nay, the English-speaking world--the apostrophe and the "e" at the end of "you're" are pairing up and running off to the fabled island of e'e'e'e'e', and our copyeditors are just letting it happen! E tu, Woot?

Actually I heard they ran off with the missing space between copy and editors, the missing "t" from the Latin phrase and the missing exclamation point from Woot! to the fabled island of 'e t!'e t!'e t!

waffle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages waffle

just for comparison purposes, what was the cost of the 32 gb refurb offered previously?

sterhill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sterhill
rhmurphy wrote:The iPod Touch uses WiFi for network connections. Using Internet applications such as Google Earth, Mail, the Safari web browser, etc. all use whatever wireless connection you give it. No extra cost.

MobileMe is an Apple-provided service that gives you a central site to store all of your stuff such as mail, contacts, and calendar. This allows you to sync your iPod and your PC, for example.

Apple charges $99 per year for MobileMe. ($149 for a family pack.)

thanks - that is exactly what I wanted to know!

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv

I've got an 8GB ipod Touch. I upgraded to IOS 4, and have had nothing but problems. So beware upgrading if this one doesn't come with IOS 4.

lb0og1e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lb0og1e

Does anyone know if this comes with the original box and packaging?

SuperTully

joe43wv wrote:I've got an 8GB ipod Touch. I upgraded to IOS 4, and have had nothing but problems. So beware upgrading if this one doesn't come with IOS 4.

Did you apply the iOS 4.0.1 update? That's supposed to fix a lot of the problems from what I hear.

NJT - Woot!

teedo757

quality posts: 5 Private Messages teedo757

I loved my 2 iPod touch's unfortunately someone else is loving them since they have disappeared from my possession a while back....:-( Anyways this is a great deal for the current version however I am waiting until September for the refresh since the new generation is said to be including a camera...plus any other upgrades that will come with the new refresh. Take a look:

Engadget

Mac Rumors

rhmurphy

waffle wrote:just for comparison purposes, what was the cost of the 32 gb refurb offered previously?

$229.99
You can see the discussion on that Wooting Here.

SuperTully

joe43wv wrote:I've got an 8GB ipod Touch. I upgraded to IOS 4, and have had nothing but problems. So beware upgrading if this one doesn't come with IOS 4.

Did you apply the iOS 4.0.1 update? That's supposed to fix a lot of the problems from what I hear.

NJT - Woot!

saxamo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages saxamo
bnedella wrote:Blackra1n

An absolute MUST on the iTouch

especially a refurbished with no Apple warranty to void

Actually, it's not a must.

Because this essentially contains the same hardware as the 2nd gen iPod Touches, albeit an updated bootloader (It is an "MC" model iPod[/url) the blackra1n exploit will not work with this. For this iPod, you will want [url=http://spiritjb.com/]Spirit JB. It is still a jailbreak in all the usual senses, but it is a userland jailbreak, rather than an entire exploit of the bootloader.

tl;dr: Blackra1n will only make this a tethered jailbreak (Can't turn your iPod off) But Spirit will get you what you want.

You are what you eat.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
kdouglas10 wrote:I don't know what "Current Generation" means. Current Generation is 3rd Generation. There is NO 8GB 3rd Gen Touch. Look at the Apple Store Touch overview page, iTouch Comparison. The 8GB Touch is listed, but note that ONLY the 32GB and 64GB say "3rd Generation" under the storage amount. Having owned both 2nd Generation and 3rd Generation iPod Touches, I can say that the 3rd Generation is DEFINITELY worth it. With 3rd Gen you get a processor which is twice as fast (and even at twice as fast, it is only acceptable - for me 2nd gen was too slow), battery life which seems a little better than 2nd Gen, and Voice Command/Voice input, which gives me the capability to use Skype to call anywhere in the world with my 3rd Gen Touch and Sprint MiFi card. Add to those major differences quadruple storage (8 vs. 32GB), and you get so much more.

One of these corrections has already been made, but just to clarify:

1) The processor on the 3rd gen 32GB and 64GB is 50% faster - not twice as fast.

2) This unit doesn't come with a microphone headset, but it does accept one and you can use Skype and other voice apps. You just don't get voice control of your music.

beatrocka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beatrocka
pilote wrote:iTouch or iPhone; you're nobody if you don't have the apps...apps make the world function right...

I wish I could kiss you, is there an app for that - Let's look!

Christopher Roote

uskrewed

quality posts: 18 Private Messages uskrewed

How do I get woot to send me black iPod headphones? hehehe

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
rono8582 wrote:even at a DEAL, this 8 gig still costs more than buying an iphone 3gs 8gig? those are $99! AND THEYRE NOT REFURB@!

That's an apples to oranges comparison, since those low price phone deals are only available with a phone subscription.

For example, my Samsung cell phone was free with a 2 year subscription, but it costs $200 to replace if it breaks (I don't pay for a warranty).