Lowerone

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Lowerone
iwearnosox wrote:I wouldn't worry about it, I have an enormous neodymium magnet two feet from my computer. I've accidentally nearly killed myself with the thing but everything in my computer area has survived it including hard drives, memory cards, watches, etc.

Did you swallowed it?

allmightytall1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allmightytall1

Bought these when the silver ones were on sale a few months ago. Great to have around and everyone loves to try them out. Best price and perfect gifts that everyone will love.

I regretted not getting more for gifts last time so definitely in for more now to make Christmas shopping easier

chuongster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chuongster
Upon1 wrote:Zen Magnets > BuckyBalls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Tka4NUmUo

Thank you! You and Otatop made me rethink this purchase, with that great link to the video!

Everyone, holdout for Zen Magnets! :D

wildbill57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wildbill57

Jumped at this last time. Wish I hadn't. They are VERY SMALL. Was looking to keep one and give one as a gift, but they would be embarrassingly small as a gift. I enjoy playing with the one set I opened, but their use is limited. Sorry Woot, two thumbs down.

Temescal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Temescal

SPOOKTACULAR! question, but I figured I might as well be the one asking it... Do they play well with the "regular" bucky balls? As in, would they be interchangeable, other than color?

I'm worried about possible size differences, and, while it would make sense for all of them to have the same exact diameter, I could not find conclusive evidence on their website.

adamantoise

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adamantoise

Not buying because the CEO is a jerk (see the YouTube video that's been posted several times already). I'm waiting for more Zen Magnets to come on sale again instead.

blindrob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blindrob

Just a note about the paint.

The first set of BuckyBalls I bought about 3 months ago were black and I got them from Think Geek. Right away when they came in I was a little let down about how they hardly looked as black as in the pictures. But, after playing with them for a while and loving them I saw them on Woot. Two sets for less than I paid for one and jumped right on it. I have since mixed the black and uncolored sets and you can hardly tell them apart.

Here is a picture of my 3 sets mixed, 1 black, 2 unpainted, Minus a few lost ones of course. The ones that still look a little black have been pointed out.

Also, all that paint has to go somewhere. For at least 2 months my hands had black spots all over them after playing with them for a bit.

They are a bunch of fun, but I would think about getting the colored ones before you do.

BetterThanTheRest

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BetterThanTheRest

I thought you were just whining, but this turns out to be a quality post after seeing the video! Bullyballs and their childish CEO really need to have rocks thrown into their faces...

The Tim wrote:I picked up a few sets of these last time they were on here, and they're great fun. Everyone who walks into my office picks them up and plays with them, and many people have remarked how cool they are.

That said, it is worth noting that the Buckyballs CEO seems to be a bit of a jerk. Had I seen that story before buying mine, I probably would have elected not to support a company that participates in such petty threats.

Odds are, I probably already bought today's Shirt Woot... hahaha. I <3 Threadless :D If you need discounts for TL, just PM me! I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH THREADLESS, I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM, I DO NOT REALLY CARE ABOUT THEM. I JUST LIKE GOOD LOOKING DESIGNER SHIRTS AND I LIKE PAYING GOOD PRICES !!!

draigun

quality posts: 22 Private Messages draigun

I accidentally all my Buckyballs.

Temescal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Temescal
blindrob wrote:Just a note about the paint.

The first set of BuckyBalls I bought about 3 months ago were black and I got them from Think Geek. Right away when they came in I was a little let down about how they hardly looked as black as in the pictures. But, after playing with them for a while and loving them I saw them on Woot. Two sets for less than I paid for one and jumped right on it. I have since mixed the black and uncolored sets and you can hardly tell them apart.

Here is a picture of my 3 sets mixed, Minus a few lost ones of course. The ones that still look a little black have been pointed out.

Also, all that paint has to go somewhere. For at least 2 months my hands had black spots all over them after playing with them for a bit.

They are a bunch of fun, but I would think about getting the colored ones before you do.

HAH! You've answered my question! Thanks!

In for two sets, buckyball Atomium, here I come!

omgwin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages omgwin
chuongster wrote:Thank you! You and Otatop made me rethink this purchase, with that great link to the video!

Everyone, holdout for Zen Magnets! :D

Apparently too many people have that idea. The zen magnets site is still sold out right now, but their twitter says they will have more stock today? Def not gonna pay $40 on amazon for zen magnets. CROSS FINGERS FOR RESTOCK SOON!

wootaddict

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootaddict

in for two! these things will be great xmas presents--i'll be the king!

silverfaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silverfaux
wildbill57 wrote:Jumped at this last time. Wish I hadn't. They are VERY SMALL. Was looking to keep one and give one as a gift, but they would be embarrassingly small as a gift. I enjoy playing with the one set I opened, but their use is limited. Sorry Woot, two thumbs down.

Soooo... you're saying that for the gifts you give, only the size matters? You should go look for some refrigerator boxes and gift wrap them. Everyone you give these gigantic gifts to will certainly talk about them for years. I'm sure anyone you would have given the magnets to would simply have thrown them away for not measuring up.

jstaninny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jstaninny
BetterThanTheRest wrote:I thought you were just whining, but this turns out to be a quality post after seeing the video! Bullyballs and their childish CEO really need to have rocks thrown into their faces...

I don't think he's the CEO... the CEO is here:
www.getbuckyballs.com/gives

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
draigun wrote:I accidentally all my Buckyballs.

One at a time, I hope!

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

iwearnosox

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iwearnosox

Wow that buckyballs ceo is a real d*ck.

carpenterty

quality posts: 4 Private Messages carpenterty
nicklcarey wrote:I would have to agree.... Set these next to you PC and it will be your last....

My son put these all over my computer and im replying now?

fisherguy91

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fisherguy91

I have a set of Nanodots. Does anyone know if these will go well with my Nanodots... like if they are the same size and quality?

11/16/2007 3 RANDOM CRAP!!!
3/28/2008 2 Blue, 1 Pink Screaming Woot Monkeys

silverfaux

fisherguy91 wrote:I have a set of Nanodots. Does anyone know if these will go well with my Nanodots... like if they are the same size and quality?

I don't know anyone with Nanodots, so I can't say anything for certain. But from what I've read and seen online, even if they are roughly the same size, they will be minutely different. Whether it would be enough for you to notice, I don't know. If I remember correctly from the last time these were up, people made comments about mixing various brands and not enjoying the end results.

blackflag486

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blackflag486
draigun wrote:I accidentally all my Buckyballs.

Wtheck mate?

cliveholloway

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cliveholloway
dcrawl wrote:There is a Magnet War going on between BuckyBalls and Zen Magnets.

Check out this video from Zen Magnets that plays the kinda rude voice mail that buckyballs left to Zen Magnets, and then watch the Zen Magnets people do science!

I came here to post this. Their CEO sounds like the kind of D*ck you really don't want to give any money to.

bargainbourne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargainbourne
nageltr wrote:Go Boilers!

Don't you mean 'Makers, all'? ;)

Lakemen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lakemen
omgwin wrote:Buckyball company abuses copyright law to censor competitor: http://slashdot.org/story/10/09/23/1137230/Countering-a-DMCA-Takedown-In-the-Magnet-Wars

No way I'm gonna buy from Buckyballs after all that nonsense. Woot, sell us some Zen Magnets!

devexityspace

quality posts: 25 Private Messages devexityspace

I purchased 3 of these on the last 2 for Tuesday (with just the 2 sets of silver) for 2$ less.. Easily sold them all at 25$/each..

In for 3 more (so 6 again).. I will probably keep 3 of the gold for me and sell the other 3 silver ones..

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 6
Todd's Dirt: 6
Monkey Count: 3
Woot Lights Count: 1
Leak Frogs: 0

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

The youtube video in which the owner threatened zen magnets discouraged me to get these. Good for me since I need the money.

aacidusx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aacidusx
vladistov wrote:Magnets: How do they work?

sup /b/ro

leyet101

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leyet101

I managed to get 8 sets of these last time they were on Woot (thanks to the help of friends) so I could make a 12x12x12 cube. You'd think that would be enough.

Nope, I just ordered some more.

I might have a problem.

Devil2U

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Devil2U
Mikeymadness wrote:I'm waiting for woot! to sell Zen Magnets again.

Not buying Buckey Balls after watching that clip. Zens seems superior and that voicemail put it over the top.

LOL< the CEOs phone number is shown in that video clip.

>>>WOOT OFF TRACKER<<<
1. 11/6/2006 iRobot Roomba Discovery SE
2. 12/8/2006 Screaming Monkey with Woot Cape X3
3. 3/23/2007 Voice Buddy 3.0 Interactive Game Control (sans the AudioFX force feedback headset) X3

Bag of Cuuuuuute! StrikeOuts: 4 :-(

bhenry6496

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bhenry6496

Yup, I'm holding out for Zen as well - not just for the better product, but for the better karma!

dionysusreborn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dionysusreborn

Looks like Zen Magnets are better and cheaper, too. 216 for $24.75 @ http://zenmagnets.com/

Lakemen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lakemen
mylar220 wrote:Wait, that story is was and will be zombie drool. It's clear that video has personal pictures of the Buckyballs guy (it's hard to imagine that a pictures of him at home with a cat started in the public domain or that another magnet peddler had the rights to it), so it came down.

Did you see that www.getbuckyballs.com/gives link above? Hard to hate on that.

Who are you that you registered an account just now to defend Buckyballs?

Successfull companies threatening people for daring to compare their products is just barbaric.

aaa121

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aaa121

these are only ~$17 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Magnet-Balls-Magnetic-Ball-Puzzle/dp/B003D7CFTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288073725&sr=8-1

xafpunkx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xafpunkx

The one I purchased from here the last time, the silver is already off half of them. I don't know I got a bad bunch or just play with them to much.

silverfaux

aaa121 wrote:these are only ~$17 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Magnet-Balls-Magnetic-Ball-Puzzle/dp/B003D7CFTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288073725&sr=8-1

Those aren't Buckyballs. Or any sort of name brand item. Also, while shiny, they aren't colored. It's like comparing apples to apples, but red delicious vs. granny smith. Or something.

Torvid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Torvid

These magnets are amazingly fun. I bought some the last time they were on Woot! and now have them at my desk. I regularly have people stopping by to kill some time and come up with new shapes.

My boss likes to wander off with them periodically, so if they are missing I know where they went. The other day someone said my boss was playing with them in a meeting with the company's VP of Information Services, ha ha. Maybe these are too addictive to have at work...?

Bandrik

quality posts: 73 Private Messages Bandrik

I almost jumped for this last time, and this time it's even more tempting since it's Purdue colors!

Boiler up!

...my only gripe, though, is the cost, and the videos floating around on the Bucky vs Zen showdown make me reconsider going with these. I'll have to sleep on it.

If they're still around in the morning, I'll consider. But not tonight.

mattdayjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattdayjr

I purchased 1 set, but decided I wanted 2 and when I went back to try and buy another, it wouldn't let me. Is there any way to do this?

thejanitor86

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thejanitor86
Temescal wrote:SPOOKTACULAR! question, but I figured I might as well be the one asking it... Do they play well with the "regular" bucky balls? As in, would they be interchangeable, other than color?

I'm worried about possible size differences, and, while it would make sense for all of them to have the same exact diameter, I could not find conclusive evidence on their website.

they work just fine with regular buckyballs. they are just a different plating(color). and for all you who think that the zen magnets video makes the bucky balls guy look bad i disagree. i want bucky balls more now because i dont wanna take my facts from some kid who thinks he can run a business. also i have a few sets of bucky balls. and i am constantly buying more so i can keep making bigger things. they are addicting.

MModified

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MModified
dionysusreborn wrote:Looks like Zen Magnets are better and cheaper, too. 216 for $24.75 @ http://zenmagnets.com/

This price is for two sets.

That being said, the comparison video with Zen makes me not want Bucky Balls.

Reallusional

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Reallusional

Oh how much fun it is when we play with our balls...or bucky's balls at least.

I'm just so wootful