12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
SMC Barricade N Wireless Router & EZ Connect USB Adapter Bundle
$19.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

Product List:
- 1 SMC Barricade N 802.11n Wireless Router SMCWBR14S-N4
- 1 SMC Networks EZ Connect N Wireless USB Adapter SMCWUSBS-N3

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

rileyper

quality posts: 66 Private Messages rileyper

can you put ddwrt on it

TJFoxxxx

quality posts: 12 Private Messages TJFoxxxx

I just bought a new router yesterday.

Kn1nJa

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Kn1nJa

Make sure you use WPA or WPA2 for your security because WEP is very insecure.

+5 signature of epicness!

NightGhost

Router at Amazon

wootasourous

quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous

How well does this give signal through walls in a house?

bigwayneo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigwayneo

I understand this is a router. But what is different/special about this versus my Linksys wireless router?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful"
Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d.

zipeater

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zipeater

$25 Router with a USB adapter for Wireless is a nice bargain if you got an old laptop or desktop that haven't got wifi.

jeffiekins

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jeffiekins

Pro:

The price is great: it would be a good price for either piece; it's a great price for both.

Wireless N is the latest standard; this should still be current 3 years from now (maybe 5).

N gives you the best range today (maybe twice as good as G, if you're having reception issues).

The hardware firewall will keep your system(s) a lot safer than the (semi-bogus) Windoze firewall, which you can turn off if you need better performance.

SMC support will answer and talk with you if you call them.

Con:

You cannot use the open-source alternative OS (that's for Linksys).

Although SMC is a venerable purveyor of professional networking gear, they're becoming an also-ran in the consumer market. (Maybe this is the reason for the great price.)

When I had an SMC, it worked great -- as long as I reset it every day or so. Otherwise, it had problems.

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

scwewywabbit

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scwewywabbit

is this better or worse than Linksys or Netgear? How come it's so much cheaper than those other more "famous" ones?

gwbaker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gwbaker

I had an older SMC Barricade router that would quite frequently disconnect then reconnect with all wirelessly connected computers. While you might not think this is a problem, consider downloading a large file that cannot be resumed....

I, in anger, damaged a lapatop because I thougt it to be a unit of crap. But, later I realized, that the culprit was the crappy router made by SMC and labled Barricade.

A crashed hard drive, due to my anger, and a lot of hair pulled out, finally led me to the defective SMC Barricade router.

Since then, I have not recommended their stuff even to my WORST enemys.

Tread lightly!!!!!

Old Chinese Guy Say: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot.

NightGhost

Th0r

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Th0r
bigwayneo wrote:I understand this is a router. But what is different/special about this versus my Linksys wireless router?

This one is white.

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds

Wireless-N 150Mbps, but only 100Mbps for wired ports??
What a crock!!

Th0r

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Th0r
TJFoxxxx wrote:I just bought a new router yesterday.

I just bought 1 about 3 days ago!

LEM-

quality posts: 147 Private Messages LEM-

A very important question (at least to me), that for some reason many router makers are forgetting about....

Does this support static IP reservations / distribution of said reserved IP's through DHCP based on MAC address?

jessiebyrd004

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jessiebyrd004

GOod like finding serious reviews on SMC Barricade products. I found a few, but they're really not even worth linking to.

I do a daily woot blog where I talk about the woot, link to CSEs, find reviews, etc. A few people have told me it's useful. Google "useful linkage" and there it is.

mmachado95833

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mmachado95833

Can it work with an Xbox 360?

dissatisfiedcustomer

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dissatisfiedcustomer
Kn1nJa wrote:Make sure you use WPA or WPA2 for your security because WEP is very insecure.

It's best to do MAC address filtering also.

bhcompy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy

anyone know if this will work as a wireless ap serving an existing network(or more accurately, work as a wireless switch providing addressing from the existing network to devices directly connected/wired to this ap)

SinnFein

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SinnFein

Remember, this is only a Wireless-N 150Mbp device. It's not "true" Wireless-N which is 300Mbp.

Considering the price, I am contemplating getting one because the wireless signal is kinda spotty downstairs where my wife's computer is located. I have an ethernet down there, but the jack is on the other side of the room.

snarfman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snarfman
NightGhost wrote:Router at Amazon

The Amazon one doesn't come with the USB adapter.

moliva914

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moliva914
gwbaker wrote:I had an older SMC Barricade router that would quite frequently disconnect then reconnect with all wirelessly connected computers. While you might not think this is a problem, consider downloading a large file that cannot be resumed....

I, in anger, damaged a lapatop because I thougt it to be a unit of crap. But, later I realized that the culprit was the crappy router made by SMC and labled Barride.

A crashed hard drive, due to my anger, and a lot of hair pulled out, finally led me to the defective SMC Barricade router.

Tread lightly!!!!!

I was thinking about getting this to replace my god-awful Belkin setup I have now with which I've had similar experiences with. What brand would you guys recommend?

bhcompy

dissatisfiedcustomer wrote:MAC address filtering is best.

Only when coupled with a secure protocol as mac spoofing and mac sniffing are fairly simple

toezilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toezilla
stevesds wrote:Wireless-N 150Mbps, but only 100Mbps for wired ports??
What a crock!!

That's pretty standard fare for wireless-N routers. Most of the gigabit routers are closer to $100+.

ed272727

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ed272727
rileyper wrote:can you put ddwrt on it

Does not appear so. SMC is not in the DD-WRT database, and a couple of forum posts indicate that it is a no-go.

Ed

LEM-

quality posts: 147 Private Messages LEM-

Oh, and on the topic of USB adapter:

Is it just a generic WiFi dongle that will work with any wireless router/hotspot, or is it married to this specific unit?

ZandersZa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ZandersZa

OK, so here's my question: is there any wireless router out there that is consistently tolerable? I've ran into problems with just about every brand. I'm convinced that while all technology moves forward, wireless routers are still an absolute crapshoot when it comes to whether or not they'll last, whether they'll arbitrarily boot users off the network, whether you'll have to unplug it every day to reset it, etc...

I find it extremely frustrating, and I'm in the market for a router. This is so cheap that I almost think it's worth the chance. Anyone have some advice? I'm getting a little sick of this 50 foot blue ethernet cable wrapping around my apartment. Thanks in advance.

Renratca

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Renratca
gwbaker wrote:I had an older SMC Barricade router that would quite frequently disconnect then reconnect with all wirelessly connected computers. While you might not think this is a problem, consider downloading a large file that cannot be resumed....

I, in anger, damaged a lapatop because I thougt it to be a unit of crap. But, later I realized that the culprit was the crappy router made by SMC and labled Barride.

Tread lightly!!!!!

Thanks I almost clicked buy..

All I could picture was your RoboCop avatar throwing a temper tantrum and smashing hardware... It made me giggle.

Skeletor916

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Skeletor916
Kn1nJa wrote:Make sure you use WPA or WPA2 for your security because WEP is very insecure.

Well you're certainly not helping by speaking ill of WEP.

NightGhost

Here's the router manual

jpluers

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jpluers
rileyper wrote:can you put ddwrt on it

I just went on the DD-WRT website and searched the database. It does not come up in the results.

You can search here.

i24u

quality posts: 14 Private Messages i24u

What kind of speeds should you get with a "N" router. I have d-link downstairs with d-link usb adapter on the next floor up. I get 60mbps sometimes not to often I get 120mbps. So what is going on?

philippz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philippz

It only has one antenna. Wireless N needs two antennas in order to achieve its full potential.

bhcompy

moliva914 wrote:I was thinking about getting this to replace my god-awful Belkin setup I have now with which I've had similar experiences with. What brand would you guys recommend?

I've used an old Barricade before with no such issues. I currently roll with Netgear, though. Nice routers, solid built in configuration options, and pretty good signal strength.

SinnFein

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SinnFein
bhcompy wrote:anyone know if this will work as a wireless ap serving an existing network(or more accurately, work as a wireless switch providing addressing from the existing network to devices directly connected/wired to this ap)

Yes. It has bridge mode functionality. I was just looking at the manual.

http://www.smc.com/files/AX/UG_SMCWBR14S_N4.PDF

toezilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toezilla
dissatisfiedcustomer wrote:MAC address filtering is best.

Until whoever is accessing your network just monitors the traffic and grabs a MAC to clone.

Setup WPA2 and use a long non-dictionary, alpha-numeric key if you actually care about security. Someone might be able to crack it, but they'll have been dead for a few hundred years.

wootasourous

quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous
moliva914 wrote:I was thinking about getting this to replace my god-awful Belkin setup I have now with which I've had similar experiences with. What brand would you guys recommend?

Linksys.

This one in specific.