bsmitson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsmitson
mjHession wrote:yeah. I'm not too worried at the refurb, but the 250 max rating stops me from wooting. I'd be interested if there was one of these with a good bit higher weight rating.

The weight restriction on this I am wondering is due to the 19' version my 17' is rated at 350

natertots

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natertots
z28power wrote:This video worried me a little bit if you are planning on using this ladder as an extension ladder on a roof in the same manner as this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq21604pi1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQkklBj1omg&NR=1

Yeah, I was just about to post those.
After watching these, no WAY I'm buying this thing.

rking

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rking

I bought my 19' Little Giant in 1992 at a satellite installer's convention and still love it. It cost a ton of $$$ at the time, but was well worth the investment. It's seen much abuse over the years and just keeps on going great. Gopher it.

acraigl

quality posts: 41 Private Messages acraigl

I think I paid this for the 15' version about 18 months ago. I really like this ladder. Yes, it weighs more than a typical aluminum folding ladder, but basically, you get 2 of them.

It's convenience and veratility more than outweighs (see what I did there?) it's heft.

If you need a ladder, or feel unsafe with your current one, this is the one to get.

xdavex

quality posts: 15 Private Messages xdavex

We have one of these at work. Very stable and usable. If I had a need for one at home I'd be in like Flynn.

mjHession

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mjHession
bsmitson wrote:The weight restriction on this I am wondering is due to the 19' version my 17' is rated at 350

Guess I'll have to wait for the 17' one.

grangegirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grangegirl

I have one and it fits in my Mini Cooper! It's a great ladder!

acraigl

quality posts: 41 Private Messages acraigl
grangegirl wrote:I have one and it fits in my Mini Cooper! It's a great ladder!

Why would you need a ladder for your mini? You must be even mini-er.

saltybull

quality posts: 3 Private Messages saltybull

We had these on our Fire Department engine... and used them all the time! That should tell you how sturdy they are. I bought one for the house and lost it in a divorce. I don't miss her but I do miss the Little Giant! If you need a ladder......this is it! What a deal!!!!!

ongware

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ongware
bradleymonroe wrote:Let me start by saying that my dad used to work for Ladder Works, the original company that sold the Little Giant brand. These ladders are rock solid, you can use these by yourself, as long as you are comfortable that way, no need to worry about the ladder wobbling or anything, they are strong and sturdy. They are by far the most versatile and durable ladders around. That being said, I wouldn't recommend these for women, they are heavy duty, emphasis on heavy. Great ladders.

Are you suggesting that women can't lift heavy things? Sexist pig.

JKEngineer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JKEngineer
dacat wrote:

I probably should by this ladder. I only own a 6 foot A-frame ladder, aluminum, 15 years old, rated at 200lbs.

I weigh 240 today.

sigh.

If you weigh 240 then this ladder is not for you. The rated weight carrying capacity includes everything you carry on the ladder: tools, cans of paint, etc. Get one with a higher weight rating. (Which by the way can be this size, despite some of the other postings.)

BVonnSnobby

quality posts: 23 Private Messages BVonnSnobby

There are quite a few posts about concerns of the ladders being refurbished.

I can assure everyone that the refurbishing process brings the ladders back to a condition just like new. There is no reason for anyone to have any concerns about the safety of these ladders.

zgriner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zgriner
ebuckle wrote:These are awesome ladders, but they weigh a freakin' ton! Not sure about buying a refurb ladder though...

40lbs is not a ton. The only things that can go wrong with the ladder are the locking hinges or the spring clips on the side. The ladder structure itself is stronger than any regular ladder

JimmyDaGeek

wallyrit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wallyrit

I've had the next size shorter little giant for years. If you live in a ranch house, absolutely the only ladder you will ever need. Inside the house or outside.

46and2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 46and2

On the topic of refurbs, I have experience at Westinghouse (college job) and can say with conviction that I would buy their TV's/LCD panels refurbed before I would buy them new, even if they were the same price. Most of them are just store returns due to someone being jolly and not reading the manual when it "didn't work" or not knowing what they were buying initially. Another good chunk is people buying for rebates and cashing in the rebate but returning the item.

Literally the only thing I won't buy refurbed is hard drives.

mjHession

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mjHession
BVonnSnobby wrote:
I can assure everyone... There is no reason for anyone to have any concerns about the safety of these ladders.

says the man who's paychecks are signed by the company trying to sell us these dangerous refurbs...

wallyrit

coolblue123 wrote:dang. I am 6'1/ 280lbs. I am about to pull the trigger on this ladder. I've seen on the LG infomericals it can hold up to well above the rated weight. Being that it's a refrub and I am going to put 280 lbs on the ladder, I am wondering if it'll be safe to use this?

The weight rating is conservative. If you feel safe on any ladder made by man, you will feel safe on this one.

molbioguy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages molbioguy

If this ladder is being used in full extension mode, does it have to be completely extended on the ground and then lifted up into place? Can it be extended while it is vertical?

vagel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vagel

I bought this for my dad as a Christmas present about 10 years ago. It ends up being more like a present to me as I've borrowed it several times. A GREAT LADDER.

I was scared seeing him get older and still climbing up on rickety cheap ladders both wooden and aluminum. This one is so much better it's not funny.

You can't go wrong with this one folks.

suldenfl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suldenfl

Got one last time they were Wooted. Great buy, great ladder, great, great, great!

wallyrit

molbioguy wrote:If this ladder is being used in full extension mode, does it have to be completely extended on the ground and then lifted up into place? Can it be extended while it is vertical?

Either way. To extend vertical the ladder is hefty and has some weight, but most should be able to handle it.

bdwhitaker1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdwhitaker1

Anyone else getting an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error when clicking I want one?

JDSardone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JDSardone

check your local home depot. 2 weeks ago i got the Werner version of this ladder, New. for 149

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Ladders-Multi-Position/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh9Zasew/R-100658955/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

jcrane36

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcrane36

I bought one of these the last time. It has to be one of the best ladders available anywhere. Refurbished? Mine was too; it has performed flawlessly.

SvenJ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SvenJ

I have two of these. Actually one is at the son-in-laws. Getting one of these for him, and taking mine back. He can use the refurb ;)

Seriously, these are the most stable ladders ever. Gave all my others away after getting these.

cliffzig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cliffzig

Does anyone know how this one compares to the one sold by Costco a month back, as featured in their coupon book:

$169.99 after $30 OFF Little Giant® MegaLite™ M17 Type 1A Aluminum Ladder

diverkd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diverkd
NightGhost wrote:Ladder Safety

Portable Ladder Safety Tips

Introduction to Basic Safety at LadderSafety.org

From Physics 101: Many people test the stability of a ladder by putting their weight on the bottom rung. Be aware that adding weight to the bottom of a ladder increases its stability, but adding weight to the top decreases stability. So the test is only valid if you don't plan to climb!

My father taught me proper ladder safely when I was young, and it has always puzzled me how someone can think that the bottom run test makes the ladder safe.

I DO check that, but I am only looking for even footing and that the feet aren't going to sink (if I am on the ground outside the house), by pressing on the bottom rung.

I w00t, therefore, I am.

SuperTully

quality posts: 32 Private Messages SuperTully

Is aluminum a better option than a fiber glass ladder? Or does fiber glass offer better integrity?

NJT - Woot!

grumb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grumb

I have had one of these for about 6 years. I use it all the time in various configurations. It is great and very sturdy and can be usually handled by one person as an A frame. (I think the reason they always show 2 people, is that is the OSHA guidelines for ladder use).

Oh and as others have said refurb in this case probably just means open box. Either that or that someone tried to handle it b themselves in the extension position and put it through the bedroom window...(not me... a friend.)...

Sawadee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sawadee

Paid $450 10 years ago when I was building my house. Best ladder ever..

eekdood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eekdood

There is not a fire engine in my entire county that doesn't have one of these. They are great!

"Genius is 10% Inspiration and 90% Perspiration..."

Harpo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Harpo

I've had one for 20 years. nearly indestructible (so far) Yes, definitely heavy. But based on the new ones I've seen at home shows, I think these are lighter than my model. (19 foot ladder gives you 17 foot of usable length.)

MichaelSF

quality posts: 92 Private Messages MichaelSF
drunkenalien wrote:No these ladders do not come with manuel, you have to pick him up in front of home depot. Although I can't guarantee his name will be manuel, better luck would be pedro or juan. Those names are more common.

Cracks me up how many in here caught his use of the name "manuel" instead of "manual."

But if he made that error in the first place, I am sure he is scratching his head over your responses. LOL.

Vote for Pedro.

tamylmrt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamylmrt

I realize that Woot is a surprise every day. . . with there was a way to find out if the 15 or 17' ladder will ever be wooted.

172pilotsteve

quality posts: 3 Private Messages 172pilotsteve

I have TWO "Little Giant" ladders, and they are the best things ever... I wish they were lighter, but ultimately, these things are the strongest ladders I've ever used, and this seems like a decent price. At Home Depot, I think you'd pay over $200 for this one.

172pilotsteve

quality posts: 3 Private Messages 172pilotsteve
mjHession wrote:yeah. I'm not too worried at the refurb, but the 250 max rating stops me from wooting. I'd be interested if there was one of these with a good bit higher weight rating.

I'm over 300# and the thing holds me just fine.. I use it to climb up on the roof, and I feel VERY stable on the ladder, even litterally on the "dont stand here" top rung.

MichaelSF

My best friend's GF locked him out of their apartment. She went to work, he was stuck outside and wanted to get in to grab his stuff and move out. (She knew that, that's why she locked him out.)

He lived on the second floor, about 15' up there was a square window that was open.

We got my trusty ladder, that works just like this one, extended it, and he was able to get all his stuff and moved out.

The GF was livid and accused me of helping him because no way he had the smarts to get a ladder, nor did he know anyone but me who had one.

Just adding to the list of many uses of this fine product.

Sidenote: I made him climb the ladder. After all it was his stuff (but really, I was not going to climb 15' on that thing, and trust he would hold it. Besides, the surface was unforgiving concrete, not lawn.)

drdougsteward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drdougsteward

Just what everyone that doesn't already own one needs ... fold to fit in a small place in the garage and expands to reach just about everything. If I didn't already own two, I'd buy another.

the.slug
HHH handle

So, in the end, when one is wooting, one gets to the point where one would like just to emit an inarticulate sound.

Apologies to Ludwig Wittgenstein

MichaelSF

172pilotsteve wrote:I'm over 300# and the thing holds me just fine.. I use it to climb up on the roof, and I feel VERY stable on the ladder, even litterally on the "dont stand here" top rung.

With all respect to your willingness to take risks, I would not trust your methods and description as an endorsement that it's OK to use this ladder if one is heavier than the load limit.

I mean... over three hundred pounds and you stand on the "don't stand here" top rung!!!

Man are you an accident waiting to happen.

Tell me, do you stick nails into electrical sockets to see if there's current running to them? ;)

wallyrit

JDSardone wrote:check your local home depot. 2 weeks ago i got the Werner version of this ladder, New. for 149

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Ladders-Multi-Position/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh9Zasew/R-100658955/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Ain't the same animal! You can find a lot of cheaper cars that sort of look like a Mercedes. But if you can aford the Mercedes it is a no brainer. There is Little Giant and then there are all the others. (at your local supply store)

And as other comments have said when you bring the little giant home, you throw away all the other ladders.