BigCheeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigCheeze
kkbass wrote:A captcha would be fine by me, if it stopped the autobuy bots/scripts/etc & leveled the playing field for "us mere humans", why not?

Just to let you know, I got mine this year 100% by my own lil' fingers. No bot's or scripts or any computerized assistance at all. Besides of course the computer I used to connect to woot on.

A captcha system would just make things worse. Heck, they have trained computers to be able to beat many of those anyways.

DrChops

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DrChops

With that said...

THANK YOU. Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedules to give us a stab at a Bag of Coal.

And thanks to all the Woot staffers for giving us all that is Woot! (and all .woot sects :D)

Merry Christmas Woot and Wooters!

Petey Thaseatesmyne

montevino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages montevino

No Christmas for the Jews? I look forward to the Christmas Chrap, but this year, Christmas was on the Sabbath, so us Hebrews got shut out.

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007
BigCheeze wrote:Just to let you know, I got mine this year 100% by my own lil' fingers. No bot's or scripts or any computerized assistance at all. Besides of course the computer I used to connect to woot on.

A captcha system would just make things worse. Heck, they have trained computers to be able to beat many of those anyways.

Exactly. The proof presented in this thread is from about two years ago. Things change since then and I'm sure Woot has changed their order page quite a bit. Not to mention, if you do a search, you will see that most of the bots stopped working in 2009. (Not that I have ever used them, I just get bored and love to search)

All a captcha will do is lengthen the process. Many times I cannot even get some of the Woot logos to load, let alone a captcha.

efprofessor

quality posts: 8 Private Messages efprofessor
editorkid wrote:So we can PM you for bot programming lessons?

If Woot coders said almost two years ago bots are a problem for reasons from fairness to server load, I think we can believe the Woot coders.

The issue a bot would face would be the same thing you would face with manual approaches; that is, a busy server. Sure, a bot might be able to query a server more frequently and presumably auto-enter the security code, but it still would need to hit the servers that a quad-zillion wooters are hitting simultaneously. Wootalyzer is a bot, of sorts, and does not score every time.

So, in the end I am pretty sure this is a matter of luck as much as anything else. I am sure that Woot runs multiple parallel servers to distribute the load and I suspect that those who happen to be routed to the "correct" server get through quickly. I scored my baggy in 2ish minutes with barely a wait using a manual reload. Many of my previous successful carps were achieved via wootalyzer, but that tool seems to be slow to the game now so I suspect that Woot has done something to disadvantage users on that service (I hit the buy page manually long before both instances of wootalyzer I had running on two machines had recognized the baggy was live).

In the end, this is my twelvth bag of BM and most have truly been carpy. So, if you don't get one, no worries (I have had many more misses compared to hits). In my case, when the baggy comes and truly has carp in it I then have to explain to my wife yet once more why I wasted 8 bucks. As with Christmas morning itself, the best part is the anticipation waiting for it's arrival.

karolyn9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karolyn9

I have been lucky enough to get the Bundle of Coats Sept 22 and December 1 and now Dec 25. I do not use anything other than my own timing. When I try right at the start i get "server is too crappy" I have waited and went back 5 minutes later or like last night 20 minutes later and have gotten through quick and easy. Maybe that is woot! way of countering the software cheats by crashing the first minute. This is all by lucky timing I no way say to wait 10 minutes.... er yea, I am saying wait 30 minutes before trying then everybody has a chance when they oversleep or just forget.

karolyn9

efprofessor wrote:The issue a bot would face would be the same thing you would face with manual approaches; that is, a busy server. Sure, a bot might be able to query a server more frequently and presumably auto-enter the security code, but it still would need to hit the servers that a quad-zillion wooters are hitting simultaneously. Wootalyzer is a bot, of sorts, and does not score every time.

So, in the end I am pretty sure this is a matter of luck as much as anything else. I am sure that Woot runs multiple parallel servers to distribute the load and I suspect that those who happen to be routed to the "correct" server get through quickly. I scored my baggy in 2ish minutes with barely a wait using a manual reload. Many of my previous successful carps were achieved via wootalyzer, but that tool seems to be slow to the game now so I suspect that Woot has done something to disadvantage users on that service (I hit the buy page manually long before both instances of wootalyzer I had running on two machines had recognized the baggy was live).

In the end, this is my twelvth bag of BM and most have truly been carpy. So, if you don't get one, no worries (I have had many more misses compared to hits). In my case, when the baggy comes and truly has carp in it I then have to explain to my wife yet once more why I wasted 8 bucks. As with Christmas morning itself, the best part is the anticipation waiting for it's arrival.

Now this is a quality post and I like your use of "BM" oh and the explaining of spending 8 bucks again my spouse just don't understand the "bag-of crap" thing

ausfest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ausfest

Hit the sweet spot last night on this random sack. Had my confirmation e-mail by 10:01.

In excelsis deo to me.

tatterbits

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tatterbits
ausfest wrote:Hit the sweet spot last night on this random sack. Had my confirmation e-mail by 10:01.

In excelsis deo to me.

Yeah, so internet pie isn't illegal, but there is a certain place for it..

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

wow, a Bag of Coal, and I missed it, I hope the woot staff gets a nice steamy pile of Rudolph droppings for Christmas!

Golfmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Golfmom
ridenslide wrote:100% sold out in less than an hour. BS.

Usually they sell out in seconds. Most Bag of Coal's are gone easily within 5 minutes. It may have been the limit of one so I'm not sure 100% why it took 20+ minutes last night but I'm thankful.

albokay5219

quality posts: 1 Private Messages albokay5219

Wow almost 20 grand in less than half an hour and from people not even knowing what they ordered.

Talk about hype.

Hell I bought in. First Bag of Coal ever after years and years of trying. Lets see if its worth it. Im thinking the fact I was able to get one means it cant be anything that great. But at least I have the excitement until it shows up.

karolyn9

albokay5219 wrote:Wow almost 20 grand in less than half an hour and from people not even knowing what they ordered.

Talk about hype.

Hell I bought in. First Bag of Coal ever after years and years of trying. Lets see if its worth it. Im thinking the fact I was able to get one means it cant be anything that great. But at least I have the excitement until it shows up.

as earlier quoted that amount is if they sold for a complete hour (per hour) they only sold 3000 making it less for what was sold. the excitement and anticipation is what you are buying, the crap is only a bonus.......sort of

dand2400

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dand2400

[quote postid="4289761" user="efprofessor"] ...but it still would need to hit the servers that a quad-zillion wooters are hitting simultaneously...

"quad-zillion wooters"-No wonder it is so tough, THE WHOLE UNIVERSE is WOOTING!!!

tatterbits

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tatterbits

[quote dand2400=]

"quad-zillion wooters"-No wonder it is so tough, THE WHOLE UNIVERSE is WOOTING!!![/quote]

Woot is what makes the world go round.

revolucion2412

quality posts: 0 Private Messages revolucion2412

I've been a Woot member since 2005 and this is my first Bag of Coal!!!! I was so freaking excited once I finally got to the order page.

I've refreshed at midnight over 200 times and have seen the Bag of Coal 7 or 8 times but finally scored my first!

This is by far the worst I've personally seen the woot servers and about gaveup a few times, as I've been in the situation multiple times where I hit "I want one" for a Bag of Coal and got denied 15 minutes later once the page loaded.

Maybe my connection is to blame for these past disappointments, but you guys have NO idea after 5+ years of checking, on average every other day at midnight, how happy I am to get my first Bag of Coal.

Merry Christmas!

dabills22

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dabills22

Anyone else notice that it says "Bundle of Coats" on the top of the page?

"Community → Woots → Bundle of Coats"

furthea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages furthea

It would probably be beneficial to figure out woot time as to my time.

vanevenhoven

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanevenhoven

Thanks Woot, it took me all day to get back on line and thank you properly! And to see the staff on today was a nice touch. I've had a blessed Holiday season, and the Bag of Coal is great icing on the cake. Thank you and happy new year!

loftongal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loftongal

Yay! Set my alarm for 12:50 EST and it took me until 1:13 to finally score. I couldn't decide if it was better to click and wait or have a bunch of windows open so I went back and forth. One of the windows finally went to the order screen and it was smooth sailing from there. I never thought I'd get one nearly 15 minutes in! I even think I fell asleep for a few minutes waiting.

And so the anticipation, the best part, begins!

metaversic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages metaversic

karolyn9

supermel74 wrote:Are all of you really this numb? Paying for an unknown item? Woot sure knows how to reel in the suckers.

well it worked to get you to notice, whether you succeded in a Bundle of Coats or not you are here posting numbn^ts

i8acobra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages i8acobra

I knew I should have been up at Midnight. I had a strong suspicion this was going to happen, but I was too busy crying into my pillow about being alone for another Christmas. Excuse me while I go cut myself to feel something.

;-)

19 Woots to date. Last Woot:
10/28 - Basket of Casabas - $3.00

Darvell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Darvell

I wooted my three bags of crap on my iPad last night. I didn't have all my computers trying, just the iPad. I think the key was refreshing as soon as it looked like it was timing out, not waiting UNTIL it timed out. Keep getting that refresh message out there until it "catches."

I didn't visit woot until 11:10 (mtn time) and finally got confirmation about 11:30, after tons of refreshes. I wasn't even logged in to start, so I had a couple extra steps. I was happy to get my first crap, though.

Can't wait to post what I get.

supermel74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supermel74
revolucion2412 wrote:These guys are Scrooges or trolling. People get some awesome stuff in these Bundle of Coatss.

Very few and far between. People win the lottery. You can buy a $1 lottery ticket that could win millions. Why pay $8 for some junk that you could get at the Dollar Store for a buck? Doesn't sound like a smart investment at all, lol.

dascooper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dascooper

I was on at 12:03 and clicked to order one - never got to the order screen. Tried opening other windows, logging in first, etc - nothing

zen21tao

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zen21tao
supermel74 wrote:Are all of you really this numb? Paying for an unknown item? Woot sure knows how to reel in the suckers.

Lets see, how "numb" I've been given that some of my previous $8 BOCs have included:

- 14 working Sansas (in a single BOC)

- a Timex Sansa model alarm clock radio that I have used continuously for the last 2 yrs

- a Philips MP3 Gear Remote ($199 on Amazon) that I sold on ebay for $80

- a Creative X-Doc and X-Fi Wireless Receiver set ($119.99 on Amazon)

- a Philips WACS7500 Streamium 80GB Wireless Music Center & Station (Black) ($599 on Pacific Geek, $799 on Amazon)

- and we can't forget the intangible value that comes from the excitement and anticipation of winning and receiving our hauls.

** Sorry to disappoint you but, when it comes to the value received for the money I've spent on Bags of Crap, I am way ahead !!!

hackman2007

It's not an "unknown item", it is crap. Just crap, nothing but crap and only crap.

Think of it like buying a lottery ticket. You might win, but most of the time you won't, so why are you buying a lottery ticket (not implying that you do)?

supermel74

I just think it's odd how people are getting all crazy over the prospect of landing a refurbished mp3 player. If you're lucky you might even end up with a box of magnets in your mailbox. Why?

hackman2007

zen21tao wrote:Lets see, how "numb" I've been given that some of my previous $8 BOCs have included:

- 14 working Sansas (in a single BOC)

- a Timex Sansa model alarm clock radio that I have used continuously for the last 2 yrs

- a Philips WACS7500 Streamium 80GB Wireless Music Center & Station (Black) ($599 on Pacific Geek, $799 on Amazon)

- and we can't forget the intangible value that comes from the excitement and anticipation of winning and receiving our hauls.

** Sorry to disappoint you but, when it comes to the value received for the money I've spent on Bags of Crap, I am way ahead !!!

Wow, you really got crapped on by Woot. Wish I could land stuff like that!

hackman2007

supermel74 wrote:I just think it's odd how people are getting all crazy over the prospect of landing a refurbished mp3 player. If you're lucky you might even end up with a box of magnets in your mailbox. Why?

It's not just a refurbished MP3 player you can land. You can land anything.

Sure the Bag of Coal's might not be as impressive as they used to be, but they still have some strange items occasionally. It's more about the suspense rather than the items.

Go look at YouTube for Bag of Coal videos and you will see why people get excited.

zen21tao

supermel74 wrote:Very few and far between. People win the lottery. You can buy a $1 lottery ticket that could win millions. Why pay $8 for some junk that you could get at the Dollar Store for a buck? Doesn't sound like a smart investment at all, lol.

So which of the items below isn't worth the $8 I spent on each corresponding BOC?

- 14 working Sansas (in a single Bag of Coal)

.... waiting for a response !!!!

zen21tao

hackman2007 wrote:Wow, you really got crapped on by Woot. Wish I could land stuff like that!

Yes, an I have posted reviews and photos of each of these hauls in past BOC forums so they easy for all the doubters and naysayer to verify...

Stilton

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Stilton

Last year's Baggette du Crappe for me contained a neon-colored plastic slinky, two ballpoint pens, a camera case, and an upright cleaner for hardwood floors (about a $90 value - though I gave it away lacking hardwood floors).

I managed to snag one again this year, which is nice; my Dad used to send me odd and surprising (and frequently silly) gifts at Christmas and he's since passed away. I like to pretend the Bag of Coal is my gift from him.

zen21tao

supermel74 wrote:The dude is a mark. Actual customers rarely get anything.

Seriously? I have verifiable scores from Woot BOC's that disprove your accusations and I must be "a mark"? I can assure you I am not "a mark." I am a graduate student (well as of a week ago a recent post-graduate Alumni) from UF (Go Gators !!) that participates in Woot just like everyone else here.

I have scored over 10+ times and missed my fair share too. Some of my hauls have been really nice and others, not so much. With a few exceptions (post Amazon's acquisition of Woot), I have always felt that I have at least received my moneys worth.

In fact, I am one of the most skeptical here when it comes to thinking Woot will continue to operate the same after being acquired by Amazon. My pre-Amazon hauls have been great and my post-Amazon have been the worst. That is something you would never hear "a mark" for Woot/Amazon say.

wolf693575

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolf693575

I'm a happy wooter... I won't go into details but the trick IS what many have said before... Patience. And I wouldn't bad mouth a literal Bundle (or pallet) of Coats.

supermel74

Woot loyalists are an odd bunch. Some people will buy anything just because Woot is selling it. Screaming Monkey anybody? "IN for 3" Woot has really managed to buffalo a lot of people with it's quirky gimmicks. They even straight up call you a sucker and the dolts eat it up. "In for 4"

hackman2007

supermel74 wrote:Woot loyalists are an odd bunch. Some people will buy anything just because Woot is selling it. Screaming Monkey anybody? "IN for 3" Woot has really managed to buffalo a lot of people with it's quirky gimmicks. They even straight up call you a sucker and the dolts eat it up. "In for 4"

I really don't know why you are so negative about Woot and are still here, but your choice I guess.

And for the record, the only Woot monkeys I have are from Bag of Coal's. The only time I went "in for 3" on anything are the random shirts because I like some of their shirts. And I only purchase items I want. I have never impulsed on Woot before. Shouldn't make assumptions about people just because they shop here .

twipps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twipps

So I missed this one by a long shot... darnit. And I was awake at midnight too lol. Ah well. I'm excited to see what you all get in a few weeks. May it hopefully be better than what last Woot Off's box of crayons brought!

And Merry (last few hours of) Christmas! :D

supermel74

Don't get me wrong, Woot is always worth checking out. It's the cult like loyalty by some to all things Woot that I find strange.