rdctali

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rdctali

Walmart had a very similar model (if not the same) on sales for $65 last Black Friday. There were plenty of them in store and nobody seemed to be interested.

Vdub40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vdub40

Checked this unit out (Amazon) - 41 reviews with 29 @ 3 stars or less with 17 @ 1 star. Think it might be better classified as a piece of junk. Sorry Woot!

JordanTG

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JordanTG

I just bought myself one. From what I'm reading on these things this is well worth the investment. Here's to hope.

duswilso

quality posts: 1 Private Messages duswilso

I bought one of these for my mom last time it was on here. I just bought 2 more. It works great and looks nice too. I would suggest getting the HDMI cable on sellout.Woot today because if you want to use the netflix or pandora features you need one. You cannot go directly on the internet unfortunately, but still a great item!

ehershey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehershey
jeffdoh wrote:Interesting. Maybe I should buy that portable 8-track player, after all. I have all these Bee gees and Muppet Show albums I want to listen to.

Oh my god Muppet Show Albums.

ma5terst

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ma5terst
JohnWooten wrote:Two reviews on the newegg.com site suggest it cannot be used to watch Netfix or listen to Pandora. Anyone who owns one of these able to access these services using this unit?

yes, you can access both of these on this unit in the US...not so sure in Canada

mastertotebag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mastertotebag
iamrobertkrogh wrote:I bought one of these on the last Woot, and don't have an HDTV. So, Netflix didn't work and I had to find online a $7 cable that goes HDMI-->Component. The guy at radio shack had no clue if it would work, but for $7 I'll give it a shot.

You won't have much luck with that. HDMI is a digital signal. To convert it to component (analog) requires a digital converter, usually with it's own power supply, in addition to the physical connections. These units are as cheap as $50 and functionality seems to be hit-or-miss.

For $7 I hope you didn't get stuck with something like this.

gjl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gjl

I recently purchased this. Setup was easy and everything works great except I can't get NetFlix's to play in HD. Someone suggested that maybe it is not NetFlix HD compatible. Any sugestions?

tkeben

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tkeben

I purchased this same thing a few weeks ago on here as well. I have yet to take it out of the box, but reading some people's comments I'm not sure I should. I don't have a HDTV so will Netflix not work? I don't own any blu-ray disc so my only point of buying it was to stream netflix.

DawgPoundx19

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DawgPoundx19
jmclaug8351 wrote:Any idea if it can get data from my pc and play it over the lan?

Yes.. I bought this last time on woot. Also in the description it's says, integrates with home wireless network of streaming.

DawgPoundx19

alan331 wrote:Purchased this from Woot 2 weeks ago. Only online services available are Pandora, Netflix and Blockbuster. Does not "web surf".
Blu-Ray looks great, my standard def DVDs look very good and finally fill my HD screen without distortion and looks sharp. WiFI works with simple set up.
Recommended.

I bought it too last time. It gave no indication it was meant for or capable of web surfing. You can stream to it from another device on your network, but it not at all meant as an Internet browsing device.

TSOG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TSOG
thejanitor86 wrote:unless your willing to spend over 800 dollars, dont throw away your dvd recorder. blu-ray recorders are still very pricey and are starting to become more popular. prices will go down but like anything it will take some time.

Or about $100 for one that fits in your desktop PC.

DawgPoundx19

tkeben wrote:I purchased this same thing a few weeks ago on here as well. I have yet to take it out of the box, but reading some people's comments I'm not sure I should. I don't have a HDTV so will Netflix not work? I don't own any blu-ray disc so my only point of buying it was to stream netflix.

My buddy did the same thing, and doesn't have an HD tv. Personally I think HD tv's are cheap enough now you can get one for about $300 or less, you just snag on at say best buy, take their 18mo interest free deal and pay it off $25 a month and you get it same as cash. HD is well worth it.

cessnet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cessnet

Thanks for the advice, i'm thinking of buying it today and you helped me get thru the concerns other's have been asking, it's up to the user to solved issues at this price i'm sure! thanks

lithoid wrote:I bought one of these the last time they were offered on Woot. I love it! Devices like this make it easier and easier to say goodbye to paying high cable bills.
Please be advised there is a known issue with the updates. When you plug it in, it will try to update the unit to make it Blockbuster compatable. This cannot be done via wi-fi, and the update file must be downloaded from memorex's website to a cd, then installed from cd. It's very easy. (I wish I hadn't wasted hours waiting for it to download.) Memorex is well aware of this issue.
I'm glad I didn't spend a small fortune on a Blueray player a few years back. If you have Netflix, this will surely change the way you watch TV.

DawgPoundx19

TSOG wrote:Or about $100 for one that fits in your desktop PC.

This isn't a DVD recorder, it's a DVD player.

DawgPoundx19

Chabis wrote:I bought an earlier Memorex Blu Ray player from Woot. The player itself was fine but Memorex did not provide the needed Firmware updates rendering it useless.

I thus have to caution against buying a Memorex player.

This one updated it's firmware wirelessly, I have had zero issues with my unit.

brandonlh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brandonlh

Dear Woot!,

Thank you for the teaser but I think I'm going to hold out for a combo player + sound system. I'm dropping hints like Charlie Sheen drops 7 gram rocks.

DawgPoundx19

brandonlh wrote:Dear Woot!,

Thank you for the teaser but I think I'm going to hold out for a combo player + sound system. I'm dropping hints like Charlie Sheen drops 7 gram rocks.

Winning!!,!

whip008

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whip008

I bought one last month and it works great. I use the wi-fi for Netflix with no problems. I'm happy to see it offered again so I can get one for my cabin in the tundra.

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
Batman4oz wrote:Now, this is spooky....I just ordered a
LG BD590 about 2 hours ago! It was $199, and now I am not sure if I should cancel it and get this one!
This will be my First Blu-Ray Player, and I mainly want it because of the internet capabilities. I have a 70" HDTV and want to get the most out of it.
I'm so confused now!!

You could afford a 70" HDTV and you're even considering buying this piece of junk? Reviews on this - both online and in this Woot forum - are terrible. Save your money and get a blu-ray player that works out of the box.

DawgPoundx19

Vdub40 wrote:Checked this unit out (Amazon) - 41 reviews with 29 @ 3 stars or less with 17 @ 1 star. Think it might be better classified as a piece of junk. Sorry Woot!

I'm not sure what the issue would have been. I snagged this unit last time it was up. It works great. Sure it's not a big name brand, but it does everything it says it is supposed to.

DawgPoundx19

kcmark wrote:You could afford a 70" HDTV and you're even considering buying this piece of junk? Reviews on this - both online and in this Woot forum - are terrible. Save your money and get a blu-ray player that works out of the box.

Mine worked just fine out of the box so I can't say anything negative about it.

davidshockey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidshockey

Similar Memorex players get poor reviews at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_27?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=memorex+blu+ray+player+wifi&sprefix=memorex+blu+ray+player+wifi

This specific unit got a couple of bad marks at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882889031

phunkyzen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phunkyzen

It seems like this thing is junk.

It cannot play newer Blu Ray discs, they use a different format which requires a firmware update, Memorex has not and has no plans to release an update according to reviews on amazon.

If you want to buy a player that's completely obsolete and won't work in the future this seems like a great buy.

aashcroft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aashcroft
chrisautrey wrote:Try living overseas. Streaming of US programming such as Netflix is blocked, so the only legitimate means of home movie watching is the disc rental market.

try lining in RURAL AMERICA just 5 miles from the city limits of an MSA forced to use 3g or satelite with useage limits!

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
jeffdoh wrote:Ridiculous product category. Honestly, how much longer are people going to be "renting" DVDs and Blue Rays or buying them? How can it not be obvious to anyone with half a brain that streaming and downloading is obviously the way of the not very distant future.

Winning!

Maybe as long as it takes Arthurs who stream to realize they have drunk from the jug of posion koolaide our cable providers have given us, hopen streamers will suck up more bandwidth which will make them justifide to put caps (like cell phone providers have) and charging us more for less. Go ahead, keep telling yourself this. I won't even go into DRM OTA (that's Over The Air) systems built into routers in the future that will piss on yor streaming party. Then we will see who's crying then :p

TC1 USCG Ret

ma5terst

I bought this last time it was on Woot about 3 weeks ago. It was worth it. I was looking for a BD player with wireless to stream netflix and this does that. It connected quickly to my wireless internet and updated the firmware quickly. I read a report that this device was noisy and that the update fixed that, I didn't play this before the update so I don't know, but it isn't noisy.

If you want to use the streaming features like Netflix and Blockbuster, you have to use the HDMI output, so I would only get this if you are able to connect this to an HDMI AV receiver or TV/monitor. If you don't have HDMI, I wouldn't get this.

Activating this device to Netflix is the same as adding another streaming device/PC to your netflix account. One quirky thing is that I tried to stream netflix with a dvd in the tray and the stream was scrambled so I had to take the dvd out and turn the player off and on a few times until it worked again and I am worried that this will be a pain. Other than that, everything works great.

scbfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scbfield
Hippster wrote:Well the reviews for the MVBD2510 and MVBD2520 over on Amazon lead me to believe that this is not a very good brand. I could use another player but it will not be this one!

Found the same thing! I almost bought one & then started checking reviews. Firmware update issues, bad support from memorex and horrible slow start-up and unload times. I guess I'll wait for another brand deal on Woot...

ma5terst

iamahospital wrote:I bought one of these a few weeks back off of woot. here's my input.

cons: the biggest and most frustrating is that while it DOES have the netflix app, once you actually sync the device to your account and start to watch something, all you'll get is the sound and a garbled (those colored blocks) picture. i am using the HDMI output to a 720p HD TV.

my player SHOULD be updated with the latest firmware because the player downloaded SOMETHING when i first turned it on... i assumed it was the latest update.

that being said, i have NOT YET tried to upgrade the firmware manually (aka via CD) to see if that would indeed resolve the netflix issue -- if anyone has any input or insight on this problem, i'd love their two cents.

not a bad player for the price, but if i dont get my netflix issue resolved, i'm going to wish i'd spent a little more money on a better model.

I have the same issue. I took the disk out and powered it on/off a few times. I read one post where they unplugged the power. It fixed it for me and hasn't happened again, but for starters, make sure you don't have a dvd/bd in the tray when you connect to netflix.

lala888

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lala888

I'm not too tech-savvy. Right now, we stream netflix from our laptop and have our tv connected as a display. With this player, could we do that without the laptop? Will the player put the netflix interface straight onto the tv screen?

Thanks for explaining--

scott265

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scott265
thejanitor86 wrote:unless your willing to spend over 800 dollars, dont throw away your dvd recorder. blu-ray recorders are still very pricey and are starting to become more popular. prices will go down but like anything it will take some time.

Hmm, I have two Blu Ray recorders and have not paid more than $150 for either one. To be fair, these are PC drives and not stand alone units.

johnhesley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnhesley
mlynna3 wrote:So far the only thing that lets you browse in Netflix looks to be the PS3... all the Sony players only let you see your instant queue. If you or anyone know of something other than the PS3 let me know! I've been holding off buying one hoping I could find one that will let me browse in Netflix.

I think that our Roku will allow browsing

ma5terst

lala888 wrote:I'm not too tech-savvy. Right now, we stream netflix from our laptop and have our tv connected as a display. With this player, could we do that without the laptop? Will the player put the netflix interface straight onto the tv screen?

Thanks for explaining--

yes, the interface is similar to your pc, more like what you see on the PS3 but your instant queue, previously watched, genres etc.. are there. You scroll through all the movies and start watching. This will be much easier than having to connect your laptop to watch netflix on the tv.

aaraujo666

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aaraujo666

I did not have any issue updating this player (bought last time it was on woot! about a month ago?) over WiFi.

Netflix app is not as good as, for example, the Wii one. I was unable to find a "search" functionality in the app, but I just may be dense.

lithoid wrote:I bought one of these the last time they were offered on Woot. I love it! Devices like this make it easier and easier to say goodbye to paying high cable bills.
Please be advised there is a known issue with the updates. When you plug it in, it will try to update the unit to make it Blockbuster compatable. This cannot be done via wi-fi, and the update file must be downloaded from memorex's website to a cd, then installed from cd. It's very easy. (I wish I hadn't wasted hours waiting for it to download.) Memorex is well aware of this issue.
I'm glad I didn't spend a small fortune on a Blueray player a few years back. If you have Netflix, this will surely change the way you watch TV.

cbonilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbonilla
Sardinicus wrote:I'm ready to buy a net-connected Blu-ray but The HDMI-only output on the streaming services is a true dealbreaker for me since my receiver does not handle HDMI inputs - not much fun listening to Pandora over the TV speakers.

BJ's club has a Sony for $120 that does everything this does plus
Amazon on demand (a huge potential competitor to Netflix, now that they are offering free streaming of a Netflix-like library with an Amazon Prime subscription as well as on-demand rental/purchase of new releases), Hulu plus, and Slacker, without any output restrictions.

Even if your receiver doesn't have an HDMI input why can't you feed HDMI to your TV and then use the audio out on your tv (Toslink if you're lucky) to feed your receiver?

aaraujo666

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aaraujo666

The manual states, albeit not very clearly, that when using Netflix, only the HDMI port is enabled.

I had problems with this, it saying that HDMI was not connected, etc. Try putting a disc in the tray (apparently that kicks off some type of "scan ports for connections" functionality that make the player recognize that HDMI is plugged in).

capguncowboy wrote:Perhaps you need to update your router's port forwarding info -- I had the same problem with my PS3 and that worked for me

mbthien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbthien

Bought this player in the Woot 2-3 weeks ago. It linked up to my wireless and I can easily stream Netflix and Pandora to my TV. Does have its limitations (DIVX and Internet). It does run a little slow and I have not been able to update it which it has requested since I plugged it in. I had some post purchase anxiety but very satisfied with the purchase.

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark

Just glancing at the pics. Seriously, why bother including a composite video cable with a blu-ray player? You can't send hi-def signals over composite so it will just confuse unwitting consumers.

It's like buying a Porsche but the dealer throws in a set of bald, used tires to drive on. Will they technically allow you to drive the vehicle? Yes, but not in the way it was intended. Shame on Memorex. If anything, include a cheap component cable or just put a slip of paper in the bag with the URL for www.monoprice.com and tell people to get their HDMI and/or component cable there.

scott265

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scott265
mastertotebag wrote:You won't have much luck with that. HDMI is a digital signal. To convert it to component (analog) requires a digital converter, usually with it's own power supply, in addition to the physical connections. These units are as cheap as $50 and functionality seems to be hit-or-miss.

For $7 I hope you didn't get stuck with something like this.

A more detailed explaination of why HDMI to Component Cables exist, but will not work. http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/component-to-hdmi-cable.htm

mbthien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbthien
ma5terst wrote:yes, you can access both of these on this unit in the US...not so sure in Canada

You need an HDMI Cable