jon98gn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages jon98gn
apuster wrote:Thats a USPS tracking #....

Actually it's a SmartPost tracking number. FedEX delivers it to the local USPS who then does the final home delivery leg of the journey.

SmartPost = not a pallet of goodies

Although it may contain a letter.

\

Vishap

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Vishap

I got the email for my Chumby One being sent out (still not sure if I'll regret that purchase or not, but I wanted a new alarm clock and those ones look fun), but if I try and track by reference number for the Chumby it doesn't work.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but maybe the method has delays itself or just doesn't work sometimes (which everyone else but me could very well already know). Or maybe some other possibility. I'm tired right now, so I'd accept any explanation short of hand sanitizer spewing foxes taking over FedEx and stealing crap for their foster kiwi children.

LEM-

quality posts: 147 Private Messages LEM-
hackman2007 wrote:I'm not kidding and haven't tracked the wrong thing.

I don't have an estimated ship date and all I have is the shipping info sent to FedEx, but it exists. It may be a mistake on Woot's part, but the only other thing I ordered recently was a monkey (and that should arrive later this week).

If you still don't believe me, here is my tracking number for it: 02927009713091735263

Sorry if you took my message as an attack on your post. Perhaps there is something going on already then, and your tracking number does look valid (with order number falling within the proper range). So I guess there is at least some shipping taking place, though I'm surprised more people didn't report TBR hits, and nobody on http://wootsack.bfusion.net marked their orders as shipped as of yet, which prompted me to say what I said...

So who knows, maybe yours will be truly unique. But then again - you never know...

Back to the refreshing game....

xamen7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xamen7
hackman2007 wrote:Yeah, I wish the track by reference thing meant the orders were actually shipped out.

Yeah, you and me both. The info was sent to FedEx last night, so here's hoping!

shades921

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shades921
LEM- wrote:Did I?
I don't recall...

There are rumors that reemerge from BоC to BоC in that regard, but I don't think they were consistent or definitively confirmed... Usually people who get their tracking numbers first begin claiming that they first send the good ones and then mass-mail the rest, and those getting the tracking late state that of course theirs was delayed because they had to be stuffed with extra sansas, iPods, digital cameras and other cool items... But I don't remember mentioning any of that in my primer... Or maybe I added it that one morning after a night long party? Gotta go and re-read my own primer at once ;/

i wonder if it has to do with order number? i.e. low ship first? i don't recall from my past purchases, but i don't think i ever got a TBR post early.

crg1400

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crg1400
LEM- wrote:

What exactly are you refreshing and why?

Sorry, I'm a Big o' Cosmos newbie.

Greenie

cvivers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cvivers

I would like to take a moment to gloat that I am truly 2 for 2 with the Big o' Cosmos.

I got the magic in me or at least in my awesome network and skills of a mouse clicking ninja

efprofessor

quality posts: 8 Private Messages efprofessor
yamahapilot wrote:My apologies LEM, I stand corrected as it was indeed not in your primer. I was thinking of your post at the bottom of page 20 (MAR 15 @ 7:49 EDT) where you mention each Big o' Cosmos being a "hand made item".

I tend to think your observation "To get those unique boxes together they need a bit more time then just running them down the assembly line. And so the longer it takes, the more unique craрs we may see." is correct. In the last round, mine was one of the last to arrive and it contained the 'standard crap' and also contained a used pair of wireless headphones and a programmable thermostat, nothing to get excited about, but unique none the less.

I do not claim to have ANY insight into woots packing methodology, just my own suspicions from what I've observed. Again sorry to have misquoted your primer.

------------------------------------
My expectation is that they have a fairly random process for this except for the letter recipient. For the latter, I suspect they pull that name out of the list at random (probably prior to packing). If you think about what it would take to pack 3000 boxes in a cost effective manner, they would need to have a fairly systematic process.

Other than the fact that the folks in this video may not all be Texans (and I suspect the woot packers don't wear hairnets), it may resemble something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqyyAy9YdZg

I suspect they would have a bunch of crap coming down one line on a conveyor belt, packers grab the crap off the first line and throw it in the correct sized boxes that they send our way.

Of course, the mysteries of Woot are truly mysterious and that's what makes Woot so wootastic. Now, there was a person who received a camcorder about a year ago who looked at what was recorded on it. What he found appeared to be Monty and Mortimer playing with the camcorder at the woot fulfillment center (okay, it wasn't really two flying monkeys that he saw). I looked for that post but couldn't find it. As I recall, it looked like they just had a pile of crap they packed into boxes but that was probably for the truly random crap (many times most of us get a set of items that's pretty common to every lucky winner, which suggests a more systematic packaging process).

retsoksirhc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages retsoksirhc
Vishap wrote:I got the email for my Chumby One being sent out (still not sure if I'll regret that purchase or not, but I wanted a new alarm clock and those ones look fun), but if I try and track by reference number for the Chumby it doesn't work.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but maybe the method has delays itself or just doesn't work sometimes (which everyone else but me could very well already know). Or maybe some other possibility. I'm tired right now, so I'd accept any explanation short of hand sanitizer spewing foxes taking over FedEx and stealing crap for their foster kiwi children.

A lot of times, track by reference doesn't work for me. Once it actually ships, take a look at the reference number field. It might be blank, or have something that isn't your order number in it. Or is just hasn't shipped yet...but I know at least one of my purchases from this wootoff had the name of the product in the reference field, instead of the order number. I guess it just depends on who from the warehouse sends your order out.

cdebish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cdebish

Congratulations.
16 out of 61 for me :-)That's a little better then 25%

cvivers wrote:I would like to take a moment to gloat that I am truly 2 for 2 with the Big o' Cosmos.

I got the magic in me or at least in my awesome network and skills of a mouse clicking ninja

Some say I'm lucky, Others say it's skill. All I know is my 1st grade teacher would be proud!
My Craptastic Success - 24 and counting
4/1/13 5/22/12 4/25/12 3/22/12 12/25/11 12/6/11 7/12/11 5/11/11 3/9/11 3/26/10 12/25/09 4/1/09 12/25/08 10/23/08 7/12/08 6/20/08 4/1/08 12/25/07 10/25/07 3/23/07 1/31/07 12/25/06 11/17/06 11/17/06

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007
LEM- wrote:Sorry if you took my message as an attack on your post. Perhaps there is something going on already then, and your tracking number does look valid (with order number falling within the proper range). So I guess there is at least some shipping taking place, though I'm surprised more people didn't report TBR hits, and nobody on http://wootsack.bfusion.net marked their orders as shipped as of yet, which prompted me to say what I said...

So who knows, maybe yours will be truly unique. But then again - you never know...

I didn't take your post as an attack. I'm a little pissed off for other reasons at the moment. I just wanted to provide some proof. I know how several people here (ok, more like most lol) like to joke around.

cscrudder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cscrudder

I think all this complaining may require some people to remember their commandments.

Wootbot wrote:
THE HOLY CRAP COMMANDMENTS v3.0
I. Thou shalt expect nothing beyond ONE bag of some kind and THREE crappy items.
II. Thou shalt not whine and complain when some people’s crap turns out to be nicer than yours.
III. Thou shalt take a moment to consider whether you might be better off just not buying this crap.

IV. Thou shalt not expect better crap just because things are different this time. Crap is crap.
V. To paraphrase Stephen Stills, shalt thou not get the crap you want, want the crap you get.

This should not be confused with version 2.0

Wootbot wrote:
THE HOLY CRAP COMMANDMENTS v2.0:

I. Thou shalt expect nothing beyond one bag of some kind and your chosen quantity of crappy items (which should be THREE).

II. Thou shalt not whine and complain when some people's crap turns out to be nicer than yours.

III. Thou shalt take a moment to consider whether you might be better off just not buying this crap.

IV. Thou shalt not order just one crap and blame it on anything but your own inattention.

V. To paraphrase Stephen Stills, shalt thou not get the crap you want, want the crap you get.

TheFaz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheFaz

The WOOT staff must laugh their heads off at all the "theories" on here. What does it all mean?!?!

My theory is....and bear with me on this, it's a little out there. I'll get my stuff when I get my stuff.

I know it's fun to speculate. I have fun wondering what I'll get but come on guys!

OH wait! Will Hunting just arrived with a complex woot algorithm, gotta go!

apuster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages apuster
TheFaz wrote:The WOOT staff must laugh their heads off at all the "theories" on here. What does it all mean?!?!

My theory is....and bear with me on this, it's a little out there. I'll get my stuff when I get my stuff.

I know it's fun to speculate. I have fun wondering what I'll get but come on guys!

OH wait! Will Hunting just arrived with a complex woot algorithm, gotta go!

I really don't think that WOOT reads these posts, simply because there are too many of them. But, I could be wrong too...

<3

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007
apuster wrote:I really don't think that WOOT reads these posts, simply because there are too many of them. But, I could be wrong too...

They probably don't read every post here, but I'm sure they skim them looking for hilarious stuff.

I remember quite a few woot-off's and craps ago, someone asked if they could get a letter from threepiecewoot. Woot actually sent the person a letter saying all of their items fit in the box.

cvivers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cvivers
cdebish wrote:Congratulations.
16 out of 61 for me :-)That's a little better then 25%

You truly are a Big o' Cosmos ninja!
I'm going to see if I can mantain my 100% success rate

lsusid2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lsusid2003

yay!!! i got a place holder.. :o)

gotons

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gotons
lsusid2003 wrote:yay!!! i got a place holder.. :o)

Me too!

annietsai

quality posts: 5 Private Messages annietsai

still nothing for me. there's hope yet......

craiger99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages craiger99

Still waiting (at least somewhat) patiently

Velocity Micro Cruz Android Tablet 7" 11/16/11 Big ol' Cornucopia 11/9/11 Green Buckyballs 3/17/11 Bag O' Crap 3/9/11 Tyke Light RoomMate 4/29/10 Razer Pro Click Mobile 3/17/10 Blue Flix Digital Camcorder 11/30/09 Sandisk Clip 1GB MP3 Player 11/19/09 Screaming Mini Monkey Keychain 7/22/09 Random Crap 3/27/09 4GB Jimmie Johnson NASCAR Flash Drive 3/26/09 Reebok Precision Trainer XT Heart Rate Monitor 8/8/08 Sandisk 1GB Media Player 6/19/08

efprofessor

quality posts: 8 Private Messages efprofessor
hackman2007 wrote:They probably don't read every post here, but I'm sure they skim them looking for hilarious stuff.

I remember quite a few woot-off's and craps ago, someone asked if they could get a letter from threepiecewoot. Woot actually sent the person a letter saying all of their items fit in the box.

That is funny! But he still got a letter; that would be cool yust by itself, ya sure...

deachemist08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deachemist08

Reference placeholder now present on Fedex. Now the wait really begins!

TheFaz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheFaz
apuster wrote:I really don't think that WOOT reads these posts, simply because there are too many of them. But, I could be wrong too...

They really do read them. I've been around a long time on here. They have mediators so we play nice.

lacknedp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lacknedp

I just checked again (probably for the 1000th time) and this time i have a place holder now! woot! This is my first Branches of Cactus after i have no idea how many attempts. Definitely think the anticipation is 1/2 the fun.

LEM-

crg1400 wrote:What exactly are you refreshing and why?

Sorry, I'm a Big o' Cosmos newbie.

Refreshing the FedEx track by reference page with my order number in hopes that at one moment it will come up with tracking information a few moments (or days) earlier than Woot sends the official tracking numbers to us....

More on tracking in this Primer

queendivad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages queendivad

I have a place holder! Now the REAL wait begins. Good luck everyone!

sobedragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sobedragon

I still don't have a tracking number. Is there something wrong, or am I just being impatient?

bearden383

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bearden383
sobedragon wrote:I still don't have a tracking number. Is there something wrong, or am I just being impatient?

Me too!!! This is my first Bawdy Ol' Coot and the waiting is killing me!!

apuster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages apuster
sobedragon wrote:I still don't have a tracking number. Is there something wrong, or am I just being impatient?

bearden383 wrote:Me too!!! This is my first Bawdy Ol' Coot and the waiting is killing me!!

That means the Big Orphaned Cetacea is doing it's job! It's supposed to make you feel anxious! Most people probably don't have a tracking # because it's not the official time yet. The people with placeholders are just really lucky or bluffing(:P)

Also, is it sad that I rewarded with visiting this forum after finishing my chemistry problem set?

<3

danp413

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danp413

I'm anxious to get my first Big o' Cosmos, but my account does not show it shipping yet.

snaped

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snaped

As a dis-disgruntled Postal Worker....Pallet's of smart-post do seem to have lower priority,We are eliminating clerk jobs and it can sit for 3 days before it becomes Priority mail....Don't tell anyone.

gotons

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gotons
snaped wrote:As a dis-disgruntled Postal Worker....Pallet's of smart-post do seem to have lower priority,We are eliminating clerk jobs and it can sit for 3 days before it becomes Priority mail....Don't tell anyone.

If only the "tattle" button was for anything...

autobus83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autobus83

I would take a letter, even if all it said was that all my stuff fit in the box. Then I would frame it and put it over my desk at work.

LEM-

snaped wrote:As a dis-disgruntled Postal Worker....Pallet's of smart-post do seem to have lower priority,We are eliminating clerk jobs and it can sit for 3 days before it becomes Priority mail....Don't tell anyone.

You must be working at my post office - I've noticed that too. Last year my SmartPost shipments were delivered as early as the day they hit the PO, but these days it's not normally the case. I've had one package that vacationed for a week at a local Post Office (and missed the day for when the content was supposed to be gifted :/)...

I should probably add a note to that effect to the future version of my SmartPost primer....

kidnova

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kidnova

Still no track by reference for my Bag O'Crap, but I do have one of the higher order numbers so if they ship them in order then that would make sense.

crg1400

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crg1400

I was able to track mine as of last night! Woot! I'm getting antsy for my first Big o' Cosmos.

Greenie

rperich69

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rperich69

Still no joy in Illinois... I gotta say this is prol'y the best purchase I ever made and I haven't received anything yet.

I use woot! in a class I teach on Business Information Systems during the section on competitive advantage. There are a bunch of companies out there trying to emulate woot! but none of them has this kind of passion or excitement surrounding their business.

I think it is wise for Amazon to keep out of the operations from a customer-facing perspective. If they start screwing around with the woot! culture, its loyal minions will lose their passion surrounding the woot! brand.

Man, I wish I had thought of it first!

Anxiously awaiting my Big Orphaned Cetacea!

FrostByte

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FrostByte

No luck on early tracking for me... at least not yet.

iimmie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iimmie
FrostByte wrote:No luck on early tracking for me... at least not yet.

Hmm..strange.. I have an early order #329128XX and still nothing on tracking, Yes I do believe they skipped my # because the wonderful Threepiecewoot is writing me a letter telling me my box was wayyy to small to fit all the woot-a-lishes goodlyness they are packing into it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

snaped

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snaped
LEM- wrote:You must be working at my post office - I've noticed that too. Last year my SmartPost shipments were delivered as early as the day they hit the PO, but these days it's not normally the case. I've had one package that vacationed for a week at a local Post Office (and missed the day for when the content was supposed to be gifted :/)...

I should probably add a note to that effect to the future version of my SmartPost primer....

Here is what happens @ USPS (at least at my PO)
FedEx / UPS drop off the pallets at your PO,usually in the afternoon.If there are any clerks with nothing to do they get sorted and scanned in as "arrived" otherwise they are treated as low priority and do not get sorted until all First Class,Second Class,and small parcels have been worked.There is a 3 day rule than upgrades anything over 3 days to Priority.
The scanners don't upload/update info until evening,so usually the tracking info is 12 hours old and you already have your package or it was sorted the day before.