WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Apple 8GB iPod touch with Retina Display & FaceTime (Current Generation)

Speed to First Woot:
1m 34.000s
First Sucker:
hoopykat
Last Wooter to Woot:
awilson57
Last Purchase:
4 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 21% of Woot.com Woots
Top 48% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 15% of Woot.com Woots
Top 12% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 25% first woot
  • 11% second woot
  • 35% < 10 woots
  • 17% < 25 woots
  • 13% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 19% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 17% one year old
  • 62% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 93% bought 1
  • 6% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

4%
1%
1%
1%
1%
2%
5%
7%
9%
8%
8%
6%
5%
5%
4%
4%
5%
4%
4%
5%
5%
3%
3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

whcodered

quality posts: 11 Private Messages whcodered

So this Woot comes with the iPod this time?

Edit for content: I have this iPod (32GB version) and it's great. If you don't already have an iPod touch/iPhone and you want to get in on some App Store action, this is the best way to go right now.

One tip: the back scratches up SUPER easily, so if you care about that sort of thing, grab a case or an InvisibleShield type deal as soon as you can. Even laying it down on a table will scratch the back pretty bad.

NightGhost

mrfox2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mrfox2

I will take the burden of answering the question that is always asked BEFORE someone asks it...

Yes. It works on a mac.

spiderweb1986

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spiderweb1986

Sellout.woot has the same gen iPod, four times the capacity, for $50 more.

http://sellout.woot.com/

Personally, I'd go for the bigger hard drive...

NightGhost

My personal review, updated:

We are a family of 4, and we own 4 iPod touches. When I first got mine, I was thinking that it was nice to have an mp3 player that could also surf the web. Then my wife and I went to the movies, and she dropped the cover to my ebook reader, and couldn't find it in the dark. A nice guy behind us said "don't you have the free flashlight function on your iTouch?" and helped us find the cover.

Of course, you can read ebooks on the iPod touch too.

Later that day we had to drive to an office, and my wife panicked because she didn't know how to get to the address, and had left her GPS at work. iPod touch to the rescue again. Note that the Touch has a GPS-like feature that uses WiFi (described in links below).

iPhone, iPod Touch Get GPS-like Capability

iPhone and iPod Touch added with GPS-like capability

Apple "podmaps" patent reveals GPS-like directions for iPod

It even has an app ($10) that lets me watch TV broadcasts from my Hava Titanium HD (got it on Woot!).

I was never an Apple fan, but...

that only begins to explain why the iPod touch is my favorite gadget.

This also has voice control of your music (unlike the 8GB model), and you can buy earbuds with a microphone that work with it.

And many of the best apps and games are free, or very inexpensive. I've been playing the Texas Hold-em game lately.

I also like 5-0 Radio, which lets you listen to local police and emergency broadcasts. I get the game scores with the CBS Sports app, and of course, it has the great Woot app!

I've also been using mine to listen to audiobooks. And today I used it to settle an argument about local street names.

You can see movie ratings with the imdb app, and then see where they're playing with Flixster. And sometimes you just want to set an alarm...

And my new favorite app is Tight VNC, which allows you to remote control your computer via wifi.

It's much, much more than an mp3 player.

NightGhost

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
whcodered wrote:So this comes with the iPod this time?

You still don't get ours. Buy your own, sheesh.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

kylelmccoy

quality posts: 13 Private Messages kylelmccoy
spiderweb1986 wrote:Deals.woot.com has the same gen iPod, four times the capacity, for $50 more.

http://deals.woot.com/sellout

Apple has either for 20$ more than their respective prices on woot. That 20$ buys you a year warranty from apple vs 90 days from woot.

kcostell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kcostell
NightGhost wrote:Previous Woot

Last month: $189.99
This month: $179.99

I'm tempted to wait another year and a half or so.

Leslie14

quality posts: 77 Private Messages Leslie14

Does the face time camera allow you to take still pictures?

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

Please sell a zune. I'm sick of buying ipods from them to randomly stop working days or weeks after their warranty expires. Other people might be happy upgrading to the newest model every year, but I'd like one that works properly for a while.

NightGhost

acdawg wrote:Get more out of your iPod by jailbreaking it here.

acdawg wrote:If you don't want a case that will add bulk to your iPod, I highly recommend Zagg's invisibleSHIELD.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Is there any reason why someone who owns an iPhone would want or need to own this iPod?

kylelmccoy

quality posts: 13 Private Messages kylelmccoy
Leslie14 wrote:Does the face time camera allow you to take still pictures?

Yes.

NightGhost

32 GB version on sellout.woot.

fluffenutter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fluffenutter
Leslie14 wrote:Does the face time camera allow you to take still pictures?

The camera allows still pictures and video. Face time is simply the app that allows video calls.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

So... Am I to understand that this iPod device requires no subscription of any kind for web access?

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

Comparing an older iPod Touch 2G to the iPod Touch 4th Generation.

iPod Touch 4th Generation Review and Photos

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien
spiderweb1986 wrote:Sellout.woot has the same gen iPod, four times the capacity, for $50 more.

http://sellout.woot.com/

Bigger hard drive is not necessarily better...
Its how you use it that counts...

Hmmmmm....
Weird

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Thanks for all the good info.

Ya'll may just talk me into buying one.

gravityisweak

mdnorman wrote:Is there any reason why someone who owns an iPhone would want or need to own this iPod?

2 devices means twice the battery life?

RichardAZ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RichardAZ
kylelmccoy wrote:Apple has either for 20$ more than their respective prices on woot. That 20$ buys you a year warranty from apple vs 90 days from woot.

I don't get this post. Am I missing a secret sale, because the 8 GB model on Apple appears to be $229, 50 dollars more, not $20.

whcodered

quality posts: 11 Private Messages whcodered
RichardAZ wrote:I don't get this post. Am I missing a secret sale, because the 8 GB model on Apple appears to be $229, 50 dollars more, not $20.

You want to look at their refurbs: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC540LL/A?mco=MjEzOTMxODM

(Woot's offering is refurbished as well. Keep in mind that all Apple refurbs have a brand new outer "shell", so it will appear to be brand new.)

borntohunt

NightGhost wrote:Previous Woot

Thanks.

5 Pages of info in posts when offered Feb. 13, 2011.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

I have no desire to own apple products -

But - seems to me my Niece got one of these exact things at Cost Co last christmas for a little less than this and it was brand new.

weird eh? did they go up in value?

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

gravityisweak

mdnorman wrote:So... Am I to understand that this iPod device requires no subscription of any kind for web access?

This is true, assuming you already have access to wifi. Of course, this is quite different than say, 3g or 4g web access.

sparrowhawk69

quality posts: 65 Private Messages sparrowhawk69

Is it Rockbox compatible? & does Nightghost live in the Woot warehouse?

Sparrowhawk69 is in therapy for seeing bunnies everywhere & is currently a member of R.A.B.B.I.T. : "RamyB All Bunnies Because I'm Trippin" anonymous.

borntohunt

Here's another Previous Woot by whatsamattaU for Jan. 13, 2011 with 10 Pages of info in posts that I found in Nightghost's Previous Woot Feb. 13, 2011.

whatsamattaU wrote:If you want to see the previous woot to look at the several hundred comments then:
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4307688

freelance

quality posts: 15 Private Messages freelance

I just bought this for my daughter's B-Day at Amazon for $15 bucks more or so with a $10 back Amazon credit (new)

No rebate now, but $205 brand new at Amazon. Linky: http://amzn.to/grrDq6

OR... You can go to sellout.Woot and pick up the 32GB for $235... Had they had this b4, I would have purchased this for my kid.

**** Woot!
***Woot!

NightGhost

sparrowhawk69 wrote:Is it Rockbox compatible? & does Nightghost live in the Woot warehouse?

Yes, you can Rockbox it, and I heard something about running Rockbox as an app on it too.

Rockbox iPod FAQ

Rockbox as an Application (iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, WebOS etc.)

edit - my bad - misread - you need to run it as an app.

SchmooBro

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SchmooBro
kylelmccoy wrote:Apple has either for 20$ more than their respective prices on woot. That 20$ buys you a year warranty from apple vs 90 days from woot.

I would normally say that this would be the better deal, but Apple will also charge more for shipping and throw on some sales tax. In CA, that becomes significant.

So now I am out looking for coupons to reduce the price of the Square Trade Warranty, which has a good rep for quick service, and may supply the most economical way of the two options...

It sure can get a bit complicated to save a few bucks....

CORRECTION :: Their site says free shipping; guess I will give it a closer look.....

AVHarris

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AVHarris

So I'm typing this on my iPod. Same as the one here. I won mine at the company Christmas raffle. I never would have bought one but now that I have it I would never be without one. I can do most everything I do at my computer. Read email. Surf the web. Check my stocks. I even have a really cool Woot! app. After I jailbroke it and installed iBluever. I can now tether it from my blackberry and have full net capabilities on the road. Other than the smaller screen this does everything the iPad does at this point in time. Like the write up said you can fit it in your pocket.

LINCAR4

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LINCAR4

Don't even waste your money on a 8gb iPod. I have a 64gb and its already 3/5ths full with 30 movies, which I watch on my flights, tons of various music. Wait till a 32gb pops up here for sure.

NightGhost

LINCAR4 wrote:Don't even waste your money on a 8gb iPod. I have a 64gb and its already 3/5ths full with 30 movies, which I watch on my flights, tons of various music. Wait till a 32gb pops up here for sure.

To each his own. I love my 3rd gen Touch, but I wouldn't dream of watching video for more than a minute or two on its little screen.

I do use it for streaming sports sometimes, if I don't have my netbook or laptop.

skynite08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skynite08

Refurbished 32GB from Apple is $199

Sami Yousif

sansagreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sansagreen
sparrowhawk69 wrote:Is it Rockbox compatible? & does Nightghost live in the Woot warehouse?

lol, He is employed by woot. And it is not Rockbox compatible.

NightGhost

Note that apps that require the gyro, which is found on the iPhone, won't work on this, or need workarounds.

for example, constellation finders require you to pre-orient the unit.