Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

April Fool's Day is one of our favorite Internet traditions - but did you know that you can celebrate it offline, too? And thanks to this convenient, hilarious DIY April Fool's gag by our friend and lover Dan Zettwoch, you can unleash the meatspace fool-o-caust PDF style. Just download, print, and follow the instructions - your unsuspecting nut-craving friends won't know what hit 'em. Remember, you can't spell "punk'd you, fool!" without "PDF"!

When you do blow your friends' minds with this gag, take pictures and post them below. Oh, man, the looks on their faces are gonna be sweet! But wait until tomorrow to do it. Otherwise, it's just lame.

What other April Fool's Day surprises do we have stuffed up our dunce caps? Come back at midnight and see...

Quality Posts

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

Is the springy eye really necessary? First one to finish it (and post pics) wins!*

Alas, I can't start until later tonight...

*"wins" = nothing but wooter fame and glory

benzaholic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages benzaholic

That false bottom looks like a tongue licking something. (I don't want to write that it looks like a tongue licking some nuts, because that would be nasty.)

X-WebTV-Stationery: Standard; BGColor=red; Background="http://yourfavoritescarypicture"; TextColor=red
I think... I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check. -- Escher

DennisG2010

quality posts: 19 Private Messages DennisG2010

Oh great. Now I gotta stay up until 1am (eastern), just so's I can be disappointed in one way or another - bag 'o crap that I don't get b/c of crappy servers, mini woot-off with lots of junk I don't want, etc.
Or maybe the real prank will be that I do snag a beeohcee...

Any way you slice it, the jokes going to be on me for sure.

Well, call me a glutton for punishment, I'll see you at 1am (eastern).

8^P

Kn1nJa

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Kn1nJa

Here's hoping for an endless black and decker battery pack wootoff!

(kidding)

+5 signature of epicness!

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Kn1nJa wrote:Here's hoping for an endless black and decker battery pack wootoff!

(kidding)

That was one of the hardest writing days we ever had. Pick any item and your house and try to write like thirty different things about it and see when you start to go nuts.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

Kn1nJa

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Kn1nJa
Slydon wrote:That was one of the hardest writing days we ever had. Pick any item and your house and try to write like thirty different things about it and see when you start to go nuts.

Wasn't easy for us either (not to say the writeups weren't hard). Imagine having wave after wave of batteries ..... hoping the next item would be a coveted crap bag. I wonder how many people bought batteries in hopes a Big o' Cosmos would be next. I know I did >_>

+5 signature of epicness!

skippykj

quality posts: 16 Private Messages skippykj

I would like to Woot my own adventure again, but Woot is too ADD, I mean clever to do the same thing twice.

bsmith1

Alright...I had to stop after gluing 1 monkey to eat dinner...

Now that the glue is mostly dry...
Demo Attempt 1: Fail! (loud f-bomb at end was trimmed for your convenience)
Demo Attempt 2: Win! It's perfect! Oh man, I can't wait to see the terror in the eyes of my gullible co-workers tomorrow!

bsmith1

Ok...I tried to post this as an edit to original, but I got the "yikes" server error.

imageshack seems to be hosing the video playback. What is another site I can upload these to without an account?

Slydon

Staff

bsmith1 wrote:Ok...I tried to post this as an edit to original, but I got the "yikes" server error.

imageshack seems to be hosing the video playback. What is another site I can upload these to without an account?

I can see those movies just fine (and spotlit them). Maybe they were still processing earlier?

You did a great job building that too.

bsmith1

Slydon wrote:I can see those movies just fine (and spotlit them). Maybe they were still processing earlier?

You did a great job building that too.

Must be my slow computer or connection. I think the imageshack page is still loading when the video starts to play which causes it to hose a bit. If I wait on the page and play it again, it works fine.

I'd like to see the finished product of whomever created the PDF! (Dan) I lack the proper tools (X-acto knife for precise cuts and "bone folder" for small folds) to do it any real justice. I take no pride in my work...the 3 springy monkeys deserve better...

mlsapack

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mlsapack
skippykj wrote:I would like to Woot my own adventure again, but Woot is too ADD, I mean clever to do the same thing twice.

Actually, the 'adventure' site from last year that has been up for almost the past year was taken down, and now you get a "The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." message. Perhaps we ARE in for another adventure!

DennisG2010

quality posts: 19 Private Messages DennisG2010

Aaand April Fool's day comes early to Boston.
It's currently snowing like a sumbitch out there.
Awesome.

mlsapack

Here is mine - Thanks for a few minutes of fun tonight!

bsmith1

mlsapack wrote:Here is mine - Thanks for a few minutes of fun tonight!

Nice! Yours looks much nicer than mine. Did you use regular paper?

mlsapack

bsmith1 wrote:Nice! Yours looks much nicer than mine. Did you use regular paper?

Yep, pretty much standard 20lb stock. I think it was a reasonable quality paper, though, not the cheap stuff you get for $20 a case.

bsmith1

You know... someone should make one of these using one of those popcorn tins and 3 real screaming woot monkeys... If only I still had a popcorn tin from xmas... (and a spring of some kind)

Or...maybe 1 screaming monkey and a Pringles can! Yeah, that'd do...I wonder if a spiral notebook spine would work as a spring...

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

Who else here has fingers on the F5 ready for the April Fool's Day gag?

I loved the Woot Your Own Adventure from last year. In fact, I'd love it if they did it again. But I'm grabbing my Woot calander just in case there is a hidden code or something in there.

bsmith1

The hidden code on this thing (revealed once assembled) made it a breeze to score a Big o' Cosmos today! It didn't make sense last night, but come midnight...lightblub!

hih934

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hih934

what was the hidden code in this? The Big o' Cosmos is done so its not a spoiler really, just curious

bsmith1

hih934 wrote:what was the hidden code in this? The Big o' Cosmos is done so its not a spoiler really, just curious

It's sorta hard to explain/see, so I made a helpful video to point it out. Very clever, woot.

javamatte

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javamatte

Staff

bsmith1 wrote:It's sorta hard to explain/see, so I made a helpful video to point it out. Very clever, woot.

Nice... You can find a similar code by going to http://www.amazon.com/ and clicking the Woot link at the verrrry bottom right of the page. Scroll until you stop... it's a long way down. It's an audio code, so be sure to have the speakers up loud enough to hear the voiceover once you get to our homepage.

Whatever you do, though, don't give up!

AngryYak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AngryYak

I put this thing together, turned out pretty cool even though it did not work well. I posted some pictures here: Decultured Woot April Fools

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz

No NUTS!?

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen
Slydon wrote:That was one of the hardest writing days we ever had. Pick any item and your house and try to write like thirty different things about it and see when you start to go nuts.

Doubtful anyone's reading at this point, but: that was the most amazing April Fool's day anything ever and the standard by which all April Fool's day anythings will be judged in perpetuity. It was fantastically evil and genuinely entertaining. I think I stayed up two and a half hours just to read the descriptions.

Seriously, it was amazing. I tell people about it. I am still grateful I was around to experience it firsthand.

Slydon

Staff

mossygreen wrote:Doubtful anyone's reading at this point, but: that was the most amazing April Fool's day anything ever

Thanks from the writer's room! It's always nice when we don't get death threats.