FiftyFootMocha

quality posts: 9 Private Messages FiftyFootMocha
jonmok1989 wrote:Are these Mac compatible? Can I plant apples with these?

Oh yes....just stick your ipod inside with losts of dirt...feed it ripped up dollar bills every week for several weeks...sprinkle it with toilet water...and around July you'll have an ipad!

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009
grtgrfx wrote:Everybody knows Tomato is Linux. Duh! Why even ask the question?

Do Penguins eat tomatoes?

piskami

quality posts: 7 Private Messages piskami

Results will very - but these bags dry rot so it is a one time use.

zephalis

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zephalis
Greshmahg wrote:
[SNIP]
I live in Seattle, Washington. The lushest, greenest state in the entire country.
[SNIP]

You don't travel much do you? Washington is almost 1/3 barren still. I mean come on, Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Hawaii...to name a few!! Even Michigan (my home state) is easily twice as lush as Washington! (And yes I've been there, to visit my aunt).

zephalis

piskami wrote:Results will very - but these bags dry rot so it is a one time use.

mmmmm....dry rot

huujedi

quality posts: 8 Private Messages huujedi

theres nothing like fresh tomatos, but based on what I've read about these you'll get no tomatos. I'll grow mine the old fashoned way.

"If man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. " - MLK

cleverlibrarian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cleverlibrarian

I've had these for about 4 years now and I can honestly say that it didn't do a bit of good toward making my tomatoes grow, and I have one heck of a green thumb! I had much better luck with just planting them in the ground like they're SUPPOSED to be planted. It's good if you don't have a yard, I suppose.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan
Greshmahg wrote:I bought a strawberry one and a tomato one at Fry's last year.

I followed all the instructions

I put 2 tomato plants in the tomato one, and about 25 in the strawberry one

I watered them as scheduled

I fed them plant food.

I got ONE strawberry out of those 25 plants, about the size of an M&M.

I got 2 tomatoes, each about the size of a golf ball before they went bad and moldy.

Which means that these things either suck, that my thumb is blacker than Flavor Flav's, or else someone was feeding the plants rat poison at night.

I'm going with a combination of the first 2, since these things are ass-ugly. They're essentially nothing but nylon sacks with a hole cut in the bottom.

My wife bought some as well. Last year -

it was very sad - all My tomatoes in the actual garden were laughing atthe ones being tortured in these contraptions.

no yeild - the sprouted and grew well - the plants looked good but not any fruit at all - weird since my garden ( right side up) produced so many that i was giving them away - dehydrating - cannong and eating them as fast as we could get it all done.

the upside down pots will stay in the shed this year -
might be that some other plant would do better in these? although I do not know why they would advertise them this way if they would grow something else better.

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

sarajmt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarajmt
wootalyzer wrote:Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Topsy Turvy Upside Down Tomato Planter - 2 Pack
$6.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

I've tried these for 2 years in a row. Followed directions to the letter. Killed the poor plants 2 years in a row. But then again, Texas sun can be brutal.

philkensebben

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philkensebben

My Grandmother has used these two years in a row and have worked quite well.

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg
zephalis wrote:You don't travel much do you? Washington is almost 1/3 barren still. I mean come on, Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Hawaii...to name a few!! Even Michigan (my home state) is easily twice as lush as Washington! (And yes I've been there, to visit my aunt).

I've lived in a number of those states. There is no way Michigan, Tennessee, Georgia or Hawaii can match the colour and vegetation of what we have west of the Cascades.

zephalis

Greshmahg wrote:I've lived in a number of those states. There is no way Michigan, Tennessee, Georgia or Hawaii can match the colour and vegetation of what we have west of the Cascades.

Georgia, no.
Michigan's upper pennisula is amazing
Tennessee, year round makes up for quality
Hawaii has the most diversity (and all 4 major climate zones year round)
Kentucky kicks WA's butt though (even though it's waaay too humid).

Frankly I prefer the area around Quetico Provincial park although we're talking the US so that only counts if you include Canada as a state (the kind state 8o)

Oh wait...I forgot about the Appalachians!

scottman54

quality posts: 34 Private Messages scottman54

Big Lots has an unbranded version of these in their ad this week for $5 each.

wlarson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wlarson
dliidlii wrote:the tomato slicer doesn't look very sharp and would probably be better for turning your tomato into juice.

I believe that the tomato-slicing gadget simply holds the tomato securely and you slide your own knife between the slots to cut the tomato into nice, even slices.

Boodreaux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Boodreaux

If I buy these and order some grow lights will I have a knock at my door in the middle of the night by guys wearing tactical gear with German shepherds?

alamo3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alamo3

Had two of these last year, was happy with them.

The reason we had them was critters: the groundhogs living out back couldn't get to them. Other tomatoes we planted weren't so lucky.

It helps if you have kids the right age. Daily chores for summer were scoop the litterbox, feed the fish, water the tomatoes...

bigray57

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigray57

As much as I LOVE these, and the pricing is GREAT, I found last year that the "generic" ones from Big Lots were better constructed and cheaper. This 2fer is really a bargain!

nansea53

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nansea53
acanarelli wrote:You've not lived until you try them with watermellons.

LOL!! Since I've "tried" them for about 3 years, using the tomato one and strawberry one, I can just imagine watermelons trying to hang from them. :-)
Supposed to last for years, but I'm lucky to make it through 1 season. Live in Central Ca., and it averages between 95-110 during the summer. The strawberry one actually fell to the ground after it disintegrated. Not that it mattered, as someone else stated, they were about the size of M&M's. The Only luck I've had so far, were some cherry tomatoes that my son had started from seeds. The plants went nuts for some reason, and produced numerous beautiful and awesome tasting tomatoes.

jknuts2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jknuts2

Could I put one of these in my cubicle at work?

cmille3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmille3

We used one last year to grow cucumbers. It worked but the Topsy Turvy bag got really heavy and bent the shepherd's hook we had used to hang it. It's good for container gardening in small spaces.

wehrd1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wehrd1

What?!?!?

a slicer is included??

....but no plant?

pixiedee55

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pixiedee55

These things don't work that well. Had ONE tomato grow from one last year. Plant looked sickly and the tomato had no taste. Will go the old-fasioned way this year and (gasp) put the tomato plants in the ground!

hpoulter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hpoulter

If you want to grow tomatoes in a small space, you can grow them in a bucket, a large window box, or best of all, An Earth Box(tm)

Just add lime and fertilizer to some potting mix (actual dirt will get dry and hard in a pot), bury a tomato seedling deep (it can grow more roots from the stem) and plant a "determinate" variety like "patio", so you don't have to stake.

And they need a lot of light. As much as they can get.

gsrmanor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gsrmanor

Do these work with Apples?

bigray57

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigray57
scottman54 wrote:Big Lots has an unbranded version of these in their ad this week for $5 each.

The the Big Lots one is far superior in quality and construction to these.

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf

I bet these don't suck as bad as people say they do. I do bet that most people hear don't know much about tomatoes. If you want good yield out of one of these, you are going to have to grow a tomato that puts out a lot of yield without growing too big. there a loads of hybrid tomatoes out there that can do this.

Also, if this thing gets too much sun, it will cook the roots.

threeeleven5000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages threeeleven5000

Almost same price at wal-mart but you dont have to wait for shipping..

puterprsn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puterprsn

Never had any luck with these, or the strawberry kind. Plants still try to grow "up" & break off when they get top-heavy. Never again

broklynite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broklynite

I've grown tomatoes plenty of times over the years with great success. Until I got these things. Actually, even worse, I got the Jatravartid tomato trees. Same thing but bigger. Here's the problem. Tomato soil must be kept moist. But these things hemmorage water. Supposedly to prevent you from iverwatering, what happens is that only some of the soil is moistened, and that dries quickly. By the time I realized what was happening, I gas to water then three times a day but it was too late. At least with a normal planter, you can put a plate underneath, and the soil will slowly remousten. But this does not give them the option. Your tomatoes will die unless you keep watering them through the day. But if you have a job, then you're screwed. These things are infamous for blossom end rot. That said I haven't tried growing herbs in them, so it might be okay.

susanlahaie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages susanlahaie

Biggest problem is they are heavy and need something very sturdy to hang from.

dgeller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgeller

I have a covered porch facing southern sky. if I had these near the screen to get sun, could the tomatoes grow?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Last year's fad.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jknuts2 wrote:Could I put one of these in my cubicle at work?

I think rather than asking "Could I..", you should be asking "Should I"?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

michoutdoors

quality posts: 6 Private Messages michoutdoors

I fashion myself quite the above average vegetable gardener (because you cannot refute this self-indulging claim). I tried one of these last year because my fabulous kids (that enjoy not playing soccer and mock others that do) gave it to me for my birthday. It blows. Unless you have a desire to be watering the piece of crap several times a day, forget it. The nylon bag creates a super hot cooking chamber and dries out the soil and roots. Not to mention, these things are heavy once you fill them with contaminated soil. (Perhaps I should have used organic soil.) I can't imagine how heavy they would be if they actually yielded some sweet, delicious heirlooms, or perhaps a peck of prickly pears. Wait....those grow on trees. Maybe these are to used to grow upside down fruit trees? Ahhh Woot, you silly minx!

kenihrig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kenihrig

Don't bother with these in hot places like Texas. It dries out too quickly and the tomatoes just can't handle the water stress.

My neighbor has green peppers in one. It produced about half the normal number of peppers but it did work.

balls2thewall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages balls2thewall
wlarson wrote:I believe that the tomato-slicing gadget simply holds the tomato securely and you slide your own knife between the slots to cut the tomato into nice, even slices.

Because slicing tomatoes on a cutting board is so hard. Not bashing your reply, just the general stupidness of these things. As much a waste of plastic as the planters themselves. The steel hooks look decent, and I guess the box/packaging not so bad. Your chances are better of growing a healthier plant in that.

cbronsted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbronsted

I have tried these two years with 2 planters each year. If plants even grow once transplated into these planters they either do not produce fruit or are puny. Would not waste my money. Planters do not make it more then one year and have to buy new. For the price I could go to the store. Better yet, plant in the ground or in pots!

spyderman4g63

quality posts: 4 Private Messages spyderman4g63
troller11 wrote:NightGhost got whitewashed with phosporous paint and is now a DaySaint. So say the rosary instead, and pray for a decent WOOT. I have these upside down planters and they SUCK. If DAYSAINT was here, he'd tell you to plant your tomatoes in a bed and get a decent yield. I think the roots COOK in these upside down planters.

Not recommended

I've used these and I didn't think they were too bad. It grew some tomatoes, so I don't know what else I could ask for.

NikonWoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NikonWoot

Works okay in Hot climate. Works okay with cherry tomatoes. Starts to break apart after the second year.

susanesitler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages susanesitler

I have had little success with this planter. It takes a lot of soil and tons of water. In my experience, the plants were fragile and yielded little. Have not tried the strawberry one though. Something lighter might work. I have had more luck with a potted tomato.