SaucyPackrat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SaucyPackrat

Bought one for my sister last year, non-Woot. When I went to visit her this year, I asked where it was. She said that even though I had shipped her a separate rod to hang it from (based on the Amazon.com reviews), it was too heavy to be hung and it snapped.

Totally am not wooting this one.

cleoleslie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cleoleslie

These are on sale at Menards right now...I bought two yesterday for 3.99 each WITH a $2 rebate on each one and no shipping....of course I did have to pay sales tax - so about 4.46 total for 2....

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

These are a big "Fail" Tried for 2 years to grow tomatoes and peppers, got about 1/10 as many tomatoes as a normal planting, got NO peppers, two out of three plants died before flowering both years. Also, be prepared for carrying a LOT of water, each basket will need at least 1-2 gallons/day---and if they dry out, they die---no root system. And I live in Iowa---if I kick a hole in the dirt and drop a cigarette butt in, I expect to see it sprout in a week. THESE DON"T WORK.

nasiswand

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nasiswand

I have one of these, and as long as they have plenty of sunlight the plants do really well.

ruf1o

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ruf1o

I don't know if anyone's touched on this yet, but it's fairly easy to make a DIY Topsy Turvy using a 5-gallon bucket. All you need is a hole in the bottom of the bucket, and a small seedling that will fit through said hole.

I've not had any of the problems others mentioned. For the past two years I've had good yield and decent fruits.

EDIT: forgot to mention they were cherry tomatoes, which seem to be perfect for this type of growing

Let's go Duke!

Metallia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Metallia

We were intrigued by this idea, but didn't want to pay for some cheaply made bags, so we made our own upside-down planters last year by washing out some old cat litter pails, and driling holes in the bottom. We had limited success- we started with plants from a nursery, so I can't tell you how seeds would have done, but the same plants did far and away better in our raised beds. The upside-down ones dried out, produced smaller fruit, and died out long before the ones in the ground. Possibly useful if you have limited space, but even then I'd say invest in a good size container with a sturdy stake and a quality plant or two and you'll be much happier with the outcome.

Ralph M.

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ralph M.

I apologize in advance if this has already been stated. I believe certain plants don't bare fruit the first year, amoung them strawbaries. Accordingly, strawbary plants need to be at least one year old if you want fruit the first year.

FranklinS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FranklinS

When suspended properly, they are at just the right height for browsing deer. The deer can help themselves without having to bend over.

twiswall

quality posts: 4 Private Messages twiswall

I have had one of these for a few years now, it has sat in the sun that whole time and has not decomposed or anything. HOWEVER, I also don't use it anymore as I can't keep up with the watering. It doesn't hold much soil so if you want to get any amount of tomatoes you just about have to water the thing daily and I travel too much to do that. I now just plant in the ground and only water twice a week. The first year I bought it I had moderate success even without being able to water it 4-6 times a week (which is what it needed).

dsgnGrl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dsgnGrl

I like growing tomatoes upside-down, but I just get a pretty wire basket with a coconut fiber shell inside, cut an X in the bottom of the shell, shove the tomato plant through, fill with dirt, and grow all sorts of herbs on top. I like basil and cilantro, and maybe a rosemary plant or two. The larger soil volume doesn't dry out as fast and there is no greenhouse effect to burn the roots.

jacsonhole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacsonhole

I used two for two consecutive summers. My only complaint is the short growing season here in New York. Can I blame that on the Topsy Turvy??

FranklinS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FranklinS

WARNING: Do not plant watermelons in this if you have any small pets or children that might play underneath.

kenhoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenhoy

I bought one of these last year and if I had it to do over again I'd spend the money on tomatoes at our local farm stand. I would have wound up with more and better tomatoes for my money.

JodieNida

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JodieNida

Don't waste your time or money! After adding the soil and water, they weigh so much that they MUST be hung from something very sturdy. An overhang doesn't allow the right sunlight on all sides, so you get very lopsided growing and they're far too heavy to rotate when the soil is wet. We threw ours away.

dabighop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dabighop

These are absolute crap. Junk, garbage, waste of your money. If you want to grow plants, this won't do it. However this product is the most successful "polish on a turd" marketing I have ever seen. I am in awe of it.

Where to begin on the suck. First they weigh about 50-70 pounds when you fill them with dirt. So good luck hanging them anywhere. Second, the plants look like anemic turds and nothing like the rain forest thick plants in the ad. Third, the material is so incredible crappy, you will be luck to get 3/4 of a season out of it before it rips. This is not something reusable.

I made the mistake of getting sucked into the marketing last year. This year, I just got two 5 gallon buckets, drilled a few holes in them to let water out, and use that for tomatoes. Way cheaper.

hardworkingjulie

quality posts: 15 Private Messages hardworkingjulie
VeloSteve wrote:Ours disintegrated in the sun - and what good is a tomato plant in the shade?

Ditto... meh

migelito

quality posts: 9 Private Messages migelito

tried it and the on i got fell apart multiple times. it couldn't take the weight long enough to get anything to grow. you are better off getting a bucket and drilling a hole. upside-down planting works reasonably well, but the gimmicky products are far worse than the ones you can make yourself.

suzaroni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages suzaroni

Hey now...I grew cherry tomatoes in one of these last year, up in Northern Minnesota where there is a short growing season, and loved it. I got tons of tomatoes!! I put one plant in the bottom upside down and one in the top.

jymm2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jymm2000

we had these a few years back - they are junk - stay away

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 1863650

Just remember that you should always water plants in these planters with sports drinks.

Idiocracy, here we come!

durfinator

quality posts: 2 Private Messages durfinator

If you reside in the Upper Midwest, go to Menards...they're on sale for 3.99/ea & have a $2 rebate per planter (limit 2). So, effectively $2/ea, no shipping, and they'll arrive at your residence before fall.

Sorry. Pass.

mdroesner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mdroesner

Secret is how you layer your "soil". It is all about water retention. Use alternating layers of potting soil, water retaining potting mix, finely ground mulch and, if you want, add landscape fabric. This keeps the water from passing straight through and keeps the bag moist. Water every morning and late afternoon (not too late to prevent mold).

mcman44

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mcman44

OK everyone, here's the trick.

If you insist on using one of these things then do as follows.

Plant away from the sun or inside. Place a grow light directly under the thing. Plants want to touch the sun so they naturally grow upward. To grow downward your sun has to be below them.

This will give you the plentiful and large veggies you desire.

By the way, the grow light will likely cost so much to operate that you may as well go to the farmers market.

uncleop

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uncleop

Not a good deal. I just bought two for $2.99 each (plus tax) at my local discount store (Reny's). That said, I'm giving them a go. Just not from woot.

mokiejovis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mokiejovis
ozmotion wrote:Is this really true?

If you hang one of these indoors, where the light comes in pretty much sideways, then there wouldn't be a bias towards growing either up or down, so all else being equal, I'm guessing it shouldn't fare much worse than a regular pot.

I'm not a plant expert, however, I'm just working through this thought with plain logic.

Get all learned up on geotropism (one of the things I weirdly remember from high school biology).

PuckDracon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PuckDracon

Too much sunlight (you know, that yellow stuff plants want), will dry out and disintegrate the container.

icthulhu wrote:
I just hope that there's more than Basil/Olives/Coppa in the antipasto, if you catch my drift.

bowmama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bowmama

I grew tomatoes in these one year. We live on the second floor and I had them out on my porch. We had a big storm and my neighbors below me had a big mess of ketchup the next morning. Put it somewhere the wind can't get to it.

baboval

quality posts: 3 Private Messages baboval

If you must grow your tomato plants upsidedown, you should know that you can get pickle buckets for cheap/free at almost any deli. A couple holes drilled in the bottom and you've got your own endlessly reusable planter with a sturdy metal hook.

jvangorden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvangorden

what does it mean when you got o purchase and it say you have been banned?

Jolene

trackzero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages trackzero

If I plant carrots, will they grow with the pointy bits aiming toward the sky? Because I
can't eat the normal carrots, since the way they normally grow points the way to Hell. "Devil's Detour Signs," my ma always called 'em.

856twisted1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 856twisted1

We used these last year and had moderate/good success. We grew cherry tomatoes, big boy tomatoes and hot peppers. There are some things you have to do to have success with these planters.
*They do get heavy and you need a really sturdy pole to hang them from if you mount them like that.
*They do require a lot of watering because they don't hold much soil.
*You also need to feed them to make sure the plants get the nutrients they need to bear fruit.
*The variety of tomato you choose makes a big difference. Determinate types are better than indeterminate.

All that being said I am looking forward to growing more stuff this year and correcting some of the mistakes we made last year.

mebell34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mebell34
dsgnGrl wrote:I like growing tomatoes upside-down, but I just get a pretty wire basket with a coconut fiber shell inside, cut an X in the bottom of the shell, shove the tomato plant through, fill with dirt, and grow all sorts of herbs on top. I like basil and cilantro, and maybe a rosemary plant or two. The larger soil volume doesn't dry out as fast and there is no greenhouse effect to burn the roots.

Awesome idea!!! I hate these planter things. Water in morning, hard as a rock by afternoon. No fruits. BOOOOO! And, tomatoes don't like being wet, which they are with all of the dripping.

rebeltreble

quality posts: 17 Private Messages rebeltreble

I never understood the need to grow plants upside-down which is extremely unhealthy for them.

If you don't have garden space, buy pots. If you have limited garden space, get creative! I bought an 8 ft. tall in-ground trellis and made several window boxes for it (about 12" deep, wide enough for a plant or two). I grew a variety of different tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, and a bunch of herbs. They are did really awesome and I could tie the vining plants up easily.

Look up vertical gardening. It is pretty fun and great for small gardens.

Signatures are harshing my mellow.

brodie8210

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brodie8210

Crap-Ola! I consider myself somewhat of an accomplished tomato grower, and tried one of these on a lark. Garbage. The second plant lived, but was weak, puny, anemic looking and produced a couple of sorry little tomatoes, and mostly because the plant I put in already had buds. Save your money. Plant them in the ground or a pot.

cfrietch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfrietch

Hey folks -- ConsumerSearch.com has a review of the Topsy Turvy: http://www.consumersearch.com/as-seen-on-tv/topsy-turvy

It's actually one infomercial thingy that works pretty well. You CAN'T use it inside however, because water needs to drain through.

Chris
ConsumerSearch.com

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Beware if you live in a windy area.

My daughter tried using these on the pergola over her patio. The first wind had them spinning like a top. The plants were torn to pieces and dirt ended up pretty much everywhere.

phantom42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phantom42

We bought a Topsy Turvy last year, and while it wasn't as successful as it advertised (big surprise), we did get a handful of tomatoes. Unfortunately for us, local birds got them before they grew large enough to harvest.

We left the bag out on the porch hanging from its post over the "winter" (we're in Florida, so it's a relative term) waiting for some consistent weather to restart it.

This is what happened to it after about five or 6 months of sun and weather exposure (after a few months of growing time). No, I didn't leave it hanging there when it tore open - I just happened to have it sitting in a box nearby and hung it back up for the photo.

Sorry for the photo rotation, I've tried rotating the original but it keeps coming in sideways. I guess the Topsy Turvy just refuses to ever be normal.

ramman54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ramman54

Don't waste your money. Never produced and not worth the time. They should be sued for false advertising.

eabbott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eabbott

Topsy Turvy not staying moist enough? Sounds like you need the other "as seen on tv" product, The Aqua Globe!

duidiving

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duidiving

I had 4 of these last year. Only takes me once to learn when I will never own something again!! Poor sized tomatoes, the herbs didn't ever grow in the herb ones. Used good soil, had great location, no room for roots to grow.