dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Leahbh wrote:I went and saw the movie again last night. The shaky camera didn't bother me as much as it did the first time, probably because I was a little farther away from the screen and it wasn't on imax.

It was a pretty horrible movie going experience though. Theater was not even half full and was mostly adults. But they were loud and talking most of the time. Someone brought their own drinks and decided to open the cans DURING the movie instead of before. A woman behind me had candy in her purse she was constantly getting into, right by my ear. Someone's phone actually went off halfway through the movie. People STOMPING down the stairs. At least 3 people who couldn't walk down the stairs without tripping (watch where you're walking!! it's not hard) I was ridiculous. I was with 3 other people, 1 being the friend I went with last time. He's has horrible times at movies, people drive him crazy. Last night, the seat he picked had a terrible echo. It was strange. I didn't believe him and we switched seats and he was right. WEIRD.

But even with all that, I still enjoyed the movie. It's great. I saw a lot I missed the first time.



This is why we never go to the movies!
Commercials. Cell phones. People talking. High ticket prices (I'm near NYC)



WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Mavyn wrote:So, random question...Anyone else seen some of the 'controversy' from people about actor choices? Specifically, apparently there were people who were shocked to see Rue and Thresh played by blacks...but that's how they were described in the books, it's how I pictured them. Cinna was never really described, but I guess some very bigoted comments have been made.



I think this just shows that a lot of people read too fast. They miss details.

dontwantaname wrote:This is why we never go to the movies!
Commercials. Cell phones. People talking. High ticket prices (I'm near NYC)



How much are your ticket prices? I paid $13 for IMAX and $9 for the regular theater. I'm in tulsa.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Leahbh wrote:How much are your ticket prices? I paid $13 for IMAX and $9 for the regular theater. I'm in tulsa.



I'll have to ask Son.




Book two is better than one so far.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Spoilers!!

Beanie Babies Hunger Games is a surprisingly faithful adaptation

Enjoy!

I'm just hanging out, really.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

inkycatz wrote:Spoilers!!

Beanie Babies Hunger Games is a surprisingly faithful adaptation

Enjoy!



Very good. Wasted all that time reading the book.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Leahbh wrote:How much are your ticket prices? I paid $13 for IMAX and $9 for the regular theater. I'm in tulsa.



I'm outside NYC by about 60 miles. Movie for me and the eldest was $12.50 at the mall theater, which recently upgraded to stadium seating. I thought that was a pretty good deal. At the other theater nearby, it's $20 for 2 adults and 2 kids--but smaller screen, and older seats.

And yeah, I don't pay attention to prices. I just pay.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/gary-ross-exits-catching-fire-will-not-direct-the-hunger-games-sequel-20120406

Gary Ross, director of the first movie has backed out of the sequel. What do you think?

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Leahbh wrote:http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/gary-ross-exits-catching-fire-will-not-direct-the-hunger-games-sequel-20120406

Gary Ross, director of the first movie has backed out of the sequel. What do you think?



I'm not sure that's a bad thing, depending on who comes along. I mean, look at Harry Potter - got vastly better with a director change from the first two.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
inkycatz wrote:I'm not sure that's a bad thing, depending on who comes along. I mean, look at Harry Potter - got vastly better with a director change from the first two.



I was thinking the same thing. I saw in comments somewhere online people recommending directors. I liked the Joss Whedon idea. He might be too busy after The Avengers though.

Also, i've only seen the first potter movie and parts of a couple of others. I've also only read the first book. I did buy them all at pottermore though! They are on all of my kindle devices!

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Leahbh wrote:pottermore



Pottermore has this continuous knack for annoying me and hitting my inner fangirl simultaneously.

I could be mad because I'm not in the beta and release has already been delayed once though.

I dunno about Whedon, it doesn't seem like it'd be up his alley, honestly.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
inkycatz wrote:Pottermore has this continuous knack for annoying me and hitting my inner fangirl simultaneously.


i signed up but never got invited to the beta either. But since they opened up the shop for ebooks and audio books, it shouldn't be too much longer.

I bought the british versions of the books not the american versions. you have to jump through some hoops, but it's possible. Haven't gotten around to starting them yet.

inkycatz wrote:I dunno about Whedon, it doesn't seem like it'd be up his alley, honestly.




You're probably right but the avengers looks awesome. by far the biggest thing he's ever done.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Leahbh wrote:I bought the british versions of the books not the american versions. you have to jump through some hoops, but it's possible. Haven't gotten around to starting them yet.



I had a friend in Canada "gift" me the books and I "gifted" them some Paypal. It's ridiculous the limitations are there in the first place, because due to our global friendships these days everyone can honestly get everything with the barest amount of effort. At least I know I can!

Bringing it back around, I wonder if the covers are different in the UK version of Hunger Games... I'll have to go look when I'm done doing the morning board sweeps. (Just got in a short bit ago.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
inkycatz wrote:I had a friend in Canada "gift" me the books and I "gifted" them some Paypal. It's ridiculous the limitations are there in the first place, because due to our global friendships these days everyone can honestly get everything with the barest amount of effort. At least I know I can!

Bringing it back around, I wonder if the covers are different in the UK version of Hunger Games... I'll have to go look when I'm done doing the morning board sweeps. (Just got in a short bit ago.)



OK, slightly different.

I'm just hanging out, really.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

New post about Capitol Fashion by the writers!

I'm just hanging out, really.

Orcrist42


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42
inkycatz wrote:
I dunno about Whedon, it doesn't seem like it'd be up his alley, honestly.



I don't really keep up with directors myself. On the subject of Whedon though, he shines best on character building and dialogue. So it could work, maybe.

cfsii


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfsii

The author had the final casting decision. She was also the major screenwriter.

friedtwinkiegirl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages friedtwinkiegirl

I'm a little late to this thread, but here's my librarian perspective.

I recommend hunger games books to middle school and above. I try to judge the younger kids individually, because sometimes 6th grade a too young.

If you think the movie is too violent for your kids, definitely don't let them read the book. The movie is way less desperate and violent than the books. Also in the movie, all the characters looks pretty healthy at all times, and they don't seem to be very hungry.

jfren484


quality posts: 4 Private Messages jfren484

My nieces read the books and said they were good, so when I saw that the movie was coming out I decided to buy the trilogy from Amazon and check it out before watching the movie. I'm SO glad I did. I think the movie was so much better knowing the story already, since they had to leave so much out to fit it into a "normal" movie time slot, and so much of the background would have been hard to get in (in a good way), anyway.

Since I started reading the first book I've noticed a definite trend in the demographic of its readers. I see people on the bus reading the book, hear people around town talking about it, etc. They're almost always women/girls (and I'm a near-40 guy). I'm so glad I didn't notice that until after I'd already bought and started reading them, or I might have missed what was easily the most addictive read in the last 10 years for me.

cheezybeez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheezybeez
inkycatz wrote:I'm not sure that's a bad thing, depending on who comes along. I mean, look at Harry Potter - got vastly better with a director change from the first two.



Hopefully that means less shaky cam? While it wasn't as bad as Cloverfield or The Blair Witch Project, it seemed out of place during some sequences

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
inkycatz wrote:I had a friend in Canada "gift" me the books and I "gifted" them some Paypal. It's ridiculous the limitations are there in the first place, because due to our global friendships these days everyone can honestly get everything with the barest amount of effort. At least I know I can!

Bringing it back around, I wonder if the covers are different in the UK version of Hunger Games... I'll have to go look when I'm done doing the morning board sweeps. (Just got in a short bit ago.)



yeah. i had to gift the books to myself (another email address) and say that the gift is for someone in the UK. then register with the other email address and list as living in UK

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Leahbh wrote:yeah. i had to gift the books to myself (another email address) and say that the gift is for someone in the UK. then register with the other email address and list as living in UK



Ok, now I have to ask: How different are the UK HP books to the US ones?

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
KtCallista wrote:Ok, now I have to ask: How different are the UK HP books to the US ones?



this website has lists of all the changes in all the books. Here's the list to the first book. Some of it I know the british terms. Some of it it seems like they change characters. They add stuff that makes no sense to me.

Like this change here
UK Version: three people left to be sorted. 'Turpin, Lisa' became
US Version: three people left to be sorted. "Thomas, Dean," a Black boy even taller than Ron, joined Harry at the Gryffindor table. "Turpin, Lisa" became

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/books/ps/differences-ps.html

I've heard there are less changes as the series goes on. Obviously though, scholastic dumbed down the american versions.

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Leahbh wrote:this website has lists of all the changes in all the books. Here's the list to the first book. Some of it I know the british terms. Some of it it seems like they change characters. They add stuff that makes no sense to me.

Like this change here
UK Version: three people left to be sorted. 'Turpin, Lisa' became
US Version: three people left to be sorted. "Thomas, Dean," a Black boy even taller than Ron, joined Harry at the Gryffindor table. "Turpin, Lisa" became

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/books/ps/differences-ps.html

I've heard there are less changes as the series goes on. Obviously though, scholastic dumbed down the american versions.



I guess I can understand some of the changes, since the book is aimed at 10 year olds. If they don't watch much BBC, they wouldn't get most of those terms. Although as an adult, I would be happier with the original terms and a glossary in the back. I could definitely see it confusing my 7 year old... and she's been exposed a bit through TV.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
KtCallista wrote:I guess I can understand some of the changes, since the book is aimed at 10 year olds. If they don't watch much BBC, they wouldn't get most of those terms. Although as an adult, I would be happier with the original terms and a glossary in the back. I could definitely see it confusing my 7 year old... and she's been exposed a bit through TV.



Younger me would have loved the opportunity to have a glossary in the back of the book of 'strange terms' to look up.

I'm just hanging out, really.

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
inkycatz wrote:Younger me would have loved the opportunity to have a glossary in the back of the book of 'strange terms' to look up.



Me too, well maybe when I was 11 or 12. I remember what an impact these books made here for kids, and I think, that if the terms had been so foreign that may not have been the case. Then again, kids always surprise and we are very very good (as a society) of underestimating them.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

dyaniyam


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dyaniyam

I made it to the 2/3 of the way through this before I read this spoiler alert!! Dangit!! I can only blame myself for reading reviews about a movie/book I haven't watched/read yet.

dontwantaname wrote:My son wanted to know why I didn't cry when Rue was killed in the book.
It is because they don't sound like kids in the book.
Now that I see the actress, that would be sad.

I didn't notice the descriptions. I sort of just had everyone white, which is strange considering the neighborhood I live in is multiracial.
No real economic diversity, but endless racial diversity.



joyner


quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Hubby and I just listened to the audiobook of book 1 of the Hunger Games. We started listening in the car and had 3 discs left when we arrived. We finally listened in the house because we were so interested in how it ended. I really want to read or listen to the next 2 books. It was as engaging, edge of your seat, don't want to put it down, as anything I've read in years. We will see the movie.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
dyaniyam wrote:I made it to the 2/3 of the way through this before I read this spoiler alert!! Dangit!! I can only blame myself for reading reviews about a movie/book I haven't watched/read yet.




I added a warning to my first post in the thread, which happens well in advance to any spoiler alerts.

Bummer, though. Still lots of other surprises!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Mavyn wrote:I added a warning to my first post in the thread, which happens well in advance to any spoiler alerts.

Bummer, though. Still lots of other surprises!



giggles

Hunger Games PSA's

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

joyner wrote:Hubby and I just listened to the audiobook of book 1 of the Hunger Games. We started listening in the car and had 3 discs left when we arrived. We finally listened in the house because we were so interested in how it ended. I really want to read or listen to the next 2 books. It was as engaging, edge of your seat, don't want to put it down, as anything I've read in years. We will see the movie.



So it was a good audio? I gave up buying them because it was so hit and miss. Depends on who is reading.

Maybe if the library has it, I'll pick it up.

I started reading when the movie came out. Son wanted me to.
Easy reading, so I'm almost done.
But the actress is 23, not 16. She is normal thin, not starving.

So far, (I'm on the last book) it is ok, not great. Gives me bad dreams. Have to read durning the day, not in bed at night.

Plus, there are 3 books! We know she doesn't die!
Plus I always read the last page first.


WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

joyner


quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
dontwantaname wrote:So it was a good audio? I gave up buying them because it was so hit and miss. Depends on who is reading.

Maybe if the library has it, I'll pick it up.

I started reading when the movie came out. Son wanted me to.
Easy reading, so I'm almost done.
But the actress is 23, not 16. She is normal thin, not starving.

So far, (I'm on the last book) it is ok, not great. Gives me bad dreams. Have to read durning the day, not in bed at night.

Plus, there are 3 books! We know she doesn't die!
Plus I always read the last page first.



We enjoyed the audio. I want to pick up the second audio book when we go home. I'll have to get my name on the list at the library. Listening to an audio book makes the trip seem much shorter. We have a couple of abridged books that we can listen to as we drive home.

I read Full of Grace by Dorothy Benton Frank yesterday. It was an easy read and very interesting. The grandmother made gravy and had pasta drying all over the kitchen. I thought about you! Do you make your own pasta? Frank's books are usually good beach reads. This one was very different from her usual coastal SC stuff.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

joyner wrote:We enjoyed the audio. I want to pick up the second audio book when we go home. I'll have to get my name on the list at the library. Listening to an audio book makes the trip seem much shorter. We have a couple of abridged books that we can listen to as we drive home.

I read Full of Grace by Dorothy Benton Frank yesterday. It was an easy read and very interesting. The grandmother made gravy and had pasta drying all over the kitchen. I thought about you! Do you make your own pasta? Frank's books are usually good beach reads. This one was very different from her usual coastal SC stuff.



No, but Grandma made pasta for ravioli when I was a kid.
I enjoyed it. Make a volcano of flour and add stuff in till it turns to dough. Then roll it out on the kitchen table. Then mix the cheese, plop a spoonful on the dough in rows. cover. cut it out with a drinking glass. press down the edges with a fork.

They lay them out all over the house!. Everywhere there is a flat surface was covered with ravioli!

Then Celentano came out with frozen ravioli. Friends said they were good. The ingredients were the same as Grandma's.
We tried them one day and Grandpa didn't know the difference. Was surprised when we told him. How the hell did he not notice the lack of ravioli all over the house when he came home?
That was the end of home made pasta.


We did at times make dough for pizza. At least until the small local supermarket started selling it.

Pizza to Grandma was a snack. Didn't make it that often.

When we first got married, I would buy the dough and make it.
It is fun playing with the dough when you are stoned!

I haven't seen the dough for sale in ages. Plus there is no more pilot
light on the stove to put it on so it rises.


//sigh, the cat has decided it is 5pm and it watching me. No, he left. No he is meowing pitifully, like he has never eaten in his life. The food in the dish is no good.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Dorothy Frank, got to remember to tell my mom about here.

I have to go back and read the Phillip R Craig books. He was the Martha's Vineyard beach book guy! Does every beach community have one?

We went to a book signing right after Daughter finished 5th grade. She just had a poem published in the school writing book. It ended up being something I read to her as a little kid. She had worked on it for a long time. She had no clue.
She was crushed and was never going to write again.
He told her it happens. Often. Having a "famous" author tell her it happens all the time, made her feel better.

She never told him when they ended up in chorus together.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Time killer: Find out your Hunger Games name and death.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

Not Hunger Games, but...

Has anyone read these books by Mur Lafferty? I just downloaded the DRM-free free copies that are up this month and next. I think I'll put them in my queue and really just wanted to share.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
KtCallista wrote:Not Hunger Games, but...

Has anyone read these books by Mur Lafferty? I just downloaded the DRM-free free copies that are up this month and next. I think I'll put them in my queue and really just wanted to share.



I haven't - thank you for the link! I am always looking for things to read.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh

Went and saw The Hunger Games for the 3rd time last night. still awesome. but got stuck in front of annoying people AGAIN. this woman behind me, unwrapping something in cellophane for half the movie. I had turn around and glare at her to get her to stop, it was so distracting!

What is wrong with people?

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Leahbh wrote:Went and saw The Hunger Games for the 3rd time last night. still awesome. but got stuck in front of annoying people AGAIN. this woman behind me, unwrapping something in cellophane for half the movie. I had turn around and glare at her to get her to stop, it was so distracting!

What is wrong with people?



Uggh! That is just wrong!!!! Why go and be rude, really common sense and consideration for others! If you are fidgety I highly recommend candy in a box, eat the candy before the movie and fold the box during the movie - It's not loud! --- this is what I DO! So experience talking here.

I finally started Hunger Games... I don't have a lot of time to read now, but I hope to read it as June happens.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
KtCallista wrote:
I finally started Hunger Games... I don't have a lot of time to read now, but I hope to read it as June happens.



Let us know what you think

I'm going to start reading ender's game, i think. The movie is filming now.

Also, a couple weeks ago a BUNCH of Michael Crichton books were released digitally. I FINALLY have Jurassic Park on my kindle!! (the lost world has been available forever, weird)

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Leahbh wrote:I'm going to start reading ender's game, i think. The movie is filming now.



I feel like we almost need a book club around here. I love seeing what other folks are reading. (It gives me ideas.)

I'm just hanging out, really.