WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

By now everyone knows the story of Three Wolf Moon, the Internet’s favorite shirt of 2009/10. To briefly recap (for those readers too “busy” with their “real lives” to track Internet yucks), the shirt, produced by a New Hampshire firm called The Mountain and featuring artwork by Antonia Neshev, rose to web-wide prominence thanks to a series of tongue-in-cheek Amazon user reviews praising it in hyperbolic terms, espousing its powers of male enhancement, and ascribing supernatural qualities to it. The tee has collected almost 2,000 such reviews, and was featured alongside such legends of cyberspace as Mahir, Keyboard Cat, and Aleksey Vayner at ROFLcon II.

The thing is, though, 3WM’s towering profile rather upstages The Mountain’s other totally awesome shirts. It turns out 3WM is only the Michael of this family, and there are dozens of Titos and Jermaines and Marlons in its shadow. You could literally wear a different t-shirt from The Mountain every day for months without repeating, and all of them would turn heads. It’s time we called out just a few of our favorites.

Patriotic Reflections of Freedom
It’s like Leonardo da Vinci had a baby with John Ashcroft, and the baby grew up to be a super-painting super-patriot. A quartet of bald eagles soar over purple mountains majesty, gliding upward toward everlasting glory on the thermal updrafts of awesomeness. A pattern in the snow suggests the Stars and Stripes—with all the subtlety of a Sidewinder missile. Boom goes one dynamite tee!

Skullbone Graveyard Vamp
Does it bother anyone else when artists put wings on mythical creatures in addition to their standard limbs? Birds and bats don’t have wings and forelimbs; their wings are their forelimbs. What is this lady, some kind of insect?

Graffiti Saber
You might recognize this cat from another shirt in The Mountain’s “Manimals” collection of anthropomorphic critter tees. It’s “DJ Saber,” marking his turf in the manner customary of urban youth! In the wild, tigers actually do this by spraying a mixture of urine and secretions from their anal glands, but no one wants to wear a shirt depicting that.

Combat Stryker
There’s something pretty weird about the way the helmet sits on this guy’s head, but I guess they just aren’t manufactured in the right sizes for birds. Not shown: The even worse-fitting “piddle pack” in his flight suit.

Kitty Overalls
Most of the user reviews that brought 3WM all its attention focused on how manly the design was, and how potently virile it made wearers look and feel. But wearing a shirt with such self-consciously macho imagery on it comes off as kinda compensatory, don’t you think? Take it from us: The baddest asses are secure enough in their bad-assery that they don’t need a t-shirt to telegraph it. Yeah, it takes a real man to wear “Kitty Overalls.”

Space Caesar
The idea of non-human primate astronauts doesn’t seem that far-fetched. After all, chimps went up before the Mercury Seven. But astronauts with facial piercings? That’s ridiculous. We don’t care what species they are.

Skullbone Sea Treasure
The runaway success of 3WM has to have emboldened The Mountain’s art director to give artists a looser rein. One imagines him looking over the sketches for this shirt and saying “OK, sure, go ahead and draw it. I mean, I personally wouldn’t wear a shirt with a picture of a haunted coral crab creature sexually assaulting a nurse shark, but who knows? Maybe the Internet is ready for that.”

Tribal Bear
Somewhere in Rockford, Illinois, a 300-pound man just stopped fretting about what he’s going to wear under his trenchcoat to this year’s Wiccan conclave at the Marriott. You’re welcome, whoever you are.

Evolution War Dragon
Alright, so if Zack de la Rocha ever collaborates on a single with Rhapsody of Fire, it looks like we’ve got our disc jacket artwork.

Stairway to Paradice [sic]
A lot of critic types deride the Kinkade aesthetic, dismissing it as saccharine, as kitschy, as lurid, nauseating, lowbrow schlock. But you know what? Critics were uncharitable toward Van Gogh in his day, too. And Van Gogh couldn’t wipe his butt with twenty-dollar bills like Kinkade does. So nyah.

DJ Peace
It’s hard to imagine there’s a huge group people who are heavy into both rave culture and tropical rain forest preservation. But they’ll probably all buy this shirt. Next The Mountain should sell glow sticks made from sustainably harvested bioluminescent plants, and give a portion of profits to some reforestation campaign. They’ll own this demographic.

Hunter Buck
You often hear a certain strain of anti-hunting sentiment voiced like this: “Sporting? Maybe if they gave guns to the deer, then it’d be sporting!” The thing is, that would actually do little to change the essential deer/sportsman dynamic unless “they” are planning to give the deer fingers as well.

Rocker Cooper
What is it about this design? We’ve surveyed the office, and we all like elephants. We all like guitar-based pop and rock music. And yet we have tried to imagine a person who would buy and wear this shirt who is not a totally insufferable tool. Do you own this shirt? Are you a non-tool, and totally sufferable? Tell us about it! We want to understand.

Breakthrough Shark
This is pretty much as EXTREME as it gets, people: Chestburster great white. You’re gonna need a bigger torso.

Mushroom Psychedelic
Ah. Well, this design kind of explains the others, doesn’t it?

There you have it! Just a few of the many, many shirts of The Mountain! Every last one of them a bold fashion choice guaranteed to get attention! (Eye rolls and snide comments are totally “attention,” by the way.)

Did we single out your favorite? If not, point us to it! We can always use another fancy outfit for weddings and what-not.

Quality Posts

zkillz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zkillz

a fresh take on a classic:

Amander

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Amander

"Does it bother anyone else when artists put wings on mythical creatures in addition to their standard limbs? Birds and bats don’t have wings and forelimbs; their wings are their forelimbs. What is this lady, some kind of insect?"

YES! Totally. I am firmly convinced that angels and centaurs are insects. I cannot tell you how happy I am that someone agrees with me. I feel like sobbing with joy, but then I see that elephant guitar player t-shirt and I feel like sobbing for other reasons.

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew

Full disclosure:

I own this one...

...and I get compliments EVERY TIME I wear it. Or anyway, I take them as compliments.

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674

A bats wings are their hands, not their arms.

Dex15

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Dex15

As cheesy as these can be, I've been a fan of The Mountain for at least 10 years. I bought the eagles featured at the top here many years ago. I own around 8 of their shirts, a few them are 10 years old now. I'm a fan of wildlife and The Mountain generally does a good job with that theme. I also know others who buy their fantasy products.

The first paragraph of this article worked perfectly for my parents. I had looked at the 3WM shirt long before the Internet picked up on it but I never followed through on buying it. My parents just recently bought it for me as a gift though, unaware of it's "recent" history. I had to point out the beginning of this article for them. The phrasing used made it even better because it matched mine when I tried to describe it to them.
-Dex

jebarringer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jebarringer
sgoman5674 wrote:A bats wings are their hands, not their arms.

A bat's wing membrane is supported by the arm and four fingers.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

I've figured out what the tool factor is in "Rocker Cooper". It's the jacket. It'd be bad enough if it was a leather jacket, but I think it might be a leather trenchcoat -- great for hiding a beer belly. "Rocker Cooper" is your dad having his mid-life crisis. This is what he wears when we cruises for chicks at TGIF.

wisesage

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wisesage

The whole concept of "Rocker Cooper" gives me the creeps. I'm almost certain I had nightmares that looked like that when I was a lad. Plus, who carries their guitar that way? It will put unnecessary stress on the strings and the bridge, and it would be really uncomfortable on your back.

sometimes i like to put on the cape and scream like a monkey.

matthew

I don't want the "Rocker Cooper" shirt -- but I am interested in the shirt the "Rocker Cooper" character is wearing. The shirt within the shirt! What is that, like a lava skull?

fharpster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fharpster

@matthew Nice spot

The Kitten Overalls is so funny. I have a similar shirt (thought it was by them but can't find it on the site) of 2 kittens and a watering can of flowers. I think it's hilarious, but nobody else seems to get it. I've actually had multiple girls come up to me and ask "WHY, are you wearing that?!" When I tell them it's a joke, they say they don't get it. You would think this would still be a good ice breaker/opener and could work, but no. They are so angered by it they can't focus on anything else. The last girl, the bar tender in this case, actually gave me a shirt from the bar and told me to put it one or she wasn't talking to me anymore. Hell of a reaction from just a dumb t-shirt.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

matthew wrote:Full disclosure:

I own this one...

...and I get compliments EVERY TIME I wear it. Or anyway, I take them as compliments.

Wait a minute!! Didn't you skin one of those or its relatives?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

wisesage

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wisesage
fharpster wrote:@matthew Nice spot

The Kitten Overalls is so funny. I have a similar shirt (thought it was by them but can't find it on the site) of 2 kittens and a watering can of flowers. I think it's hilarious, but nobody else seems to get it.

I admit it, I don't get it either.

sometimes i like to put on the cape and scream like a monkey.

matthew

I don't have "Kitty Overalls," but I do have an equally adorable Cute Kittens shirt. It's red, and features several baby kittens playing with a ball of yarn. It gets stronger reactions than a person might expect, both negative and positive.

The last time I wore it, I was standing on a sidewalk when an attractive young woman passed me walking her dog. She went a few feet, then stopped and walked back to me, compelled by the power of Cute Kittens, and said:

"That's a GREAT shirt."

Then she turned around and continued on her way. Which she couldn't do without complimenting me, see, because apparently to her, my wearing it was like a day-brightening good deed that ABSOLUTELY DEMANDED proper acknowledgment.

On the negative side, one of my fathers-in-law saw me in it and concluded there was "something wrong with" me.

cruelnv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv

Last year we did a themed party-bus for a friend. The theme? The Mountain wolf shirts. Everyone had to wear a different shirt wolf shirt from the Mountain or they weren't allowed on the bus. I chose this one:

It was a blast. Going to dance clubs wearing The Mountain attire is highly recommended. I'm thinking we may have to go with the new dog-face shirts this year...

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

matthew

Whaaat

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0037TPED4/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

I would like to know why all the pics posted of this unicorn tee are of DUDES. But he looks happy, so, it really must be a powerful shirt.

I don't understand how you guys posted those pics, either. I went to the formatting guide and followed the instructions, but the image didn't show. Code is hard!

cruelnv

rayray099 wrote:
I don't understand how you guys posted those pics, either. I went to the formatting guide and followed the instructions, but the image didn't show. Code is hard!

Make sure that the url you use ends in an image extension (.jpg .png .gif for example and not .html).

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

matthew

This one of their shirts is not like the others. This one of their shirts doesn't belong:

ptucker2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptucker2

I just convinced my friend/coworker to buy the cat overalls with me. I can't wait for jeans day! Thanks for the heads-up on these amazing displays of "casual art."

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
cruelnv wrote:Make sure that the url you use ends in an image extension (.jpg .png .gif for example and not .html).

oh, I see. thanks! I like your sig quote, too!

cruelnv

rayray099 wrote:oh, I see. thanks! I like your sig quote, too!

Heh, thanks. I used to spend a lot more time on shirt.woot. Too many people would complain about designs, so I figured it was appropriate. I guess it applies to this topic a bit too. ;)

themountain

quality posts: 1 Private Messages themountain

Woot! Team... Negative Flattery will get you guys nowhere. You know you can't resist. Lay down your arms and join the Revolution. Check our new biggest fan: http://www.nme.com/news/odd-future/56519
We were here long before Three Wolf Moon....

http://shop.themountain.me

The Mountain Team

themountain

matthew wrote:Whaaat

One of our best selling new shirts, crazy huh?

themountain

fharpster wrote:@matthew Nice spot

The Kitten Overalls is so funny. I have a similar shirt (thought it was by them but can't find it on the site) of 2 kittens and a watering can of flowers. I think it's hilarious, but nobody else seems to get it. I've actually had multiple girls come up to me and ask "WHY, are you wearing that?!" When I tell them it's a joke, they say they don't get it. You would think this would still be a good ice breaker/opener and could work, but no. They are so angered by it they can't focus on anything else. The last girl, the bar tender in this case, actually gave me a shirt from the bar and told me to put it one or she wasn't talking to me anymore. Hell of a reaction from just a dumb t-shirt.

You are our hero.

matthew

themountain wrote:Woot! Team... You know you can't resist.

For sure not. I ordered a second Mountain tee yesterday! But that's my limit.

themountain

wisesage wrote:Plus, who carries their guitar that way? It will put unnecessary stress on the strings and the bridge, and it would be really uncomfortable on your back.

Well, if we are going to diss an imaginary character on a t-shirt for wearing his guitar backwards, he'd like to let you know the reason...

Cooper: "It was raining, and it's my Dad's guitar, I didn't have permission to borrow it and if it got wrecked, I would've been grounded."

See, there's a simple solution to every imaginary conundrum when you have too much time on your hands.

Team Mountain

themountain

matthew wrote:For sure not. I ordered a second Mountain tee yesterday! But that's my limit.

We trade.