ruf1o

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ruf1o

let the obsessive Track by Reference attempts begin!

See here for instructions.

Let's go Duke!

Woody1150

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Woody1150
ruf1o wrote:let the obsessive Track by Reference attempts begin!

Not to mention all the posts of people wanting to know how to be able to track by reference. Nice job linking it, we just need to keep bumping that link so people see it.

Pael

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pael
hoonyer wrote:This will be my THIRD Big o' Cosmos this year. (I joined WOOT in April of 2008 and only started getting the crap this year.) My first two bags wern't anything to write home about. (Maybe I'm expecting too much?) I found by staying off the forums about the crap will make getting it in the mail more exciting. (Not as fun when you read about how everybody got the same things so you already know what to expect.)

I agree with staying off of the forums. There's usually some common item among the BOCs so it's better to go in totally blind than to have a hint that you may be getting something.

bsmith1

quality posts: 99 Private Messages bsmith1

Mine does not work yet. I award you -1 internets for giving false hope.

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt
Pael wrote:I agree with staying off of the forums. There's usually some common item among the BOCs so it's better to go in totally blind than to have a hint that you may be getting something.

Yeah, I stay off the forums too once BoCs start shipping. I got a Santa Sac of Crap ruined a few years ago by reading the forums too much after people started getting their sacks before I got my bag.

dukeyaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dukeyaz
Woody1150 wrote:Not to mention all the posts of people wanting to know how to be able to track by reference. Nice job linking it, we just need to keep bumping that link so people see it.

So how does one "track by reference"?

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
bsmith1 wrote:Mine does not work yet. I award you -1 internets for giving false hope.

I heart you...and from this moment forward will be awarding plus and minus internets based on worthiness.

PoorOldEdgarDerby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PoorOldEdgarDerby

See here for instructions.

Bumpity bumpity.

sjpearsall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjpearsall
Bgtunna wrote:Would you want to sell any woot lights? I have been wanting them for a while now, but have not been able to ever purchase them.

Sure how does $1 a set plus shipping sound?

LEM-

quality posts: 147 Private Messages LEM-

Well, I've heard word "ship" a few times already and I'm sure as we go along it will be mentioned more and more. So even though it is still a few days before we can even officially start asking questions, I guess I'd post my SmartPost guide now, so that it stays on the last page for a while and hopefully more people will have a chance to discover it.

For informational purposes - just received a tracking # for wootoff item that came a couple of hours before the BоC. This of course means nothing, because Woot will first ship everything that came both before and after it and only then.....

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

FedEx SmartPost primer for newcomers, and a reminder for the rest of Wooters (v. 1.5.3)

1. Before the tracking information shows up: Sometimes Woot is not e-mailing the tracking numbers until a few days after the packages are shipped. You can try and get the number by reference, by going to https://www.fedex.com/AltRefTracking?cntry_code=us and entering these three things: Your Woot order number goes to reference numbers box, select United States in destination country drop down, and Your Zip Code in a respective box. It's important to get all three pieces. Keep refreshing it, and if you're lucky, the tracking number will pop-up before the official e-mail comes. It doesn't ALWAYS work, but there's a good chance. Note, that if you've made multiple orders from Woot, you can enter several order numbers into the reference box, one per line.

1.1 If your weight shows as 1lb, it is most likely a placeholder, which will be replaced by more accurate weight once the package actually starts moving (or reaches a sorting station - see below). The dimensions will probably show as NA/NA/NA on those placeholder packages. Some people have reported packages showing as 1lb all the way until delivery, but turned out to be anything but, though there's always a slight chance that your package actually is a 1 pounder. So you never know.

1.2 To make it even more frustrating - the actual fact that you can track by reference, but if it shows as a 1lb with status Shipment information sent to FedEx does not yet mean the package actually shipped or even exists. All it means - a label which will eventually be attached to your package has been printed. It may be a few days before your beloved box will actually hit the road. Patience is the key here!

1.3 So how do we know for sure that BоC's are out? Keep looking through this thread, and you may spot a post by threepiecewoot or on rare occasion another staff member, stating that all packages are shipped. Sometimes it will take FedEx a while before they show up or update, but once it's said here on the forum, you can be sure that they are out! Also keep an eye on other staff members posts announcing possible shipping delays or otherwise!

1.4 Some wooters report being able to track, but not me! Am I screwed? No, you are not. The tracking numbers don't get into the system all at once. The track by reference starts working when FedEx receives your package info from Woot. They send them in batches, and if someone has a reference hit, does not mean everyone gets it at the same time. Sometimes it's days between batches are sent, and sometimes electronic info on some or all packages is not sent at all, which means not trackable by reference until it arrives (even if trackable by actual tracking number received from Woot). The actual tracking information (if you have tracking e-mail sent to you or it shows up on your order page) gets updated as the package is actually scanned at FedEx location. Provided that Woot ships them by truckload, it may not be instant at all, nor they will appear all at once. Sometimes it's not 'til the next day when you see it live, even if there are others that got scanned early in the game. Remember, if threepiecewoot said that all packages are out - they are. It may take some time for them to go live, a day or two between first reported trackable package until the last one shows up in a system is not unusual...

2. To get the dimensions you need to create My FedEx account (no charge, and you don't have to give them cc number if you don't want to): http://my.fedex.com/ and make sure to switch to new or advanced version. Enter your tracking number, and the dimensions will pop...

2.1 Another way to get dimensions: If you have problems with My FedEx site, or just to make things easier - you can also download a very convenient FedEx Desktop application. It uses the same log-in credentials as your My FedEx account (you'd still need to have one), and tracks the same packages right from your desktop, without the browser.

3. Don't get too excited. For the first few days most people will probably have some sort of cubed dimensions. This is because in the beginning the dimensions are not real. They are guesstimated by FedEx based on weight (which may or may not be accurate). Here's the famous formula for you to check:

SIDE = ( 330 * WEIGHT ) ^ (1/3)
(side in inches, weight in lbs)

If it matches your dimensions to a few tenths of an inch - you know they are not real. That's for smaller packages. Those over 15lbs would always have the "dimensions" of a 15lbs package (or was it 16)... Again not real...

4. Once your package passed the first sorting station - the updated weight and real dimensions may show up. Usually that's the first or second stop it makes after Dallas. In my case (North-East) in either Martinsburg, WV or at Kansas City, KS (I am yet to understand the logic SmartPost uses in sending the packages one route or the other), for many others it's New Berlin, WI or another major SmartPost hub. In some cases actual weighting/measuring may not take place even at the SECOND hub... or ever...

5. USPS Handoff: Once the package is reported to have passed a city near you - start tracking it on http://www.usps.com/, because that's who's delivering it to your door, and once the package is handed over by FedEx, they will have more up to date information. Do make sure that you track by actual tracking number (it will show up if you got a hit with reference tracking), because USPS does not track by reference. A thing to note - when handed over to USPS, FedEx always says a standard "allow 2-3 for business days for delivery". This is a standard message, and if your USPS facility is efficient enough, you may get it delivered as soon as the day of handoff (if it happened early enough).

5.1. USPS is not delivering for a few days after supposed handoff. Compliments go to the budget cuts and staff shortage at your local post office, as per a post by snaped, who claims to know the situation first hand: the pallets of SmartPost packages are handled at the lowest priority, after all other mail has been processed. So if your post office is a bit short on staff or overwhelmed with other mail (holiday seasons especially) it may well sit unsorted for a few days, after which their status is raised to priority and they finally get sorted and delivered. In my personal experience, I've seen them delivered the same day or as much as a full week late (that happened with non-woot package I was expecting around Christmas).

Good luck to all waiting for their hauls, and let the Woot Gods bless you with some amazing crаps!

zzzzz78759

quality posts: 9 Private Messages zzzzz78759
xSkoad wrote:MY last couple Big o' Cosmos were as the name implies, crap. For $8 thought, its worth the gamble. Although I dont know of anyone who has gotten anything decent since Amazon took over.

There have been several biggies (Dyson vacuum, the iPhones at Christmas time, etc.) And several pallets. It's the luck of the draw, really.

It's like playing that old games show, Let's Make a Deal...What's in the bag? Is it a treasure or a zonk? Want to trade your $8 for what's behind the curtain??

jeffdoh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffdoh

Yesterday, for the first time,I saw an Amazon-Woot cross-promotion. It was an Amazon ad for the Android Tablet on Woot(azon).

Which beg the questions:
1. Will Amazon Prime members be able to order 2-day free shipping on Woot products (B-0-Cs!?).
2. Will people still post Amazon price comparison's for Woot products (that's kinda like comparing Sirius to XM)?
3. Will people still post reviews on here or will they simply link to their (more permanent) review on Amazon?
4. Will we be able to do Amazon 1-click to order B-0-Cs?
5. Will Amazon take returns on Big o' Cosmos items we dislike?
6. Will we ever see a Sony reader or Nook again?
7. Will Amazon product write-ups become funnier?
8. Will most of the company softball team be Woot-guys or Amazon Guys?
9. Will Woot finally do away with tax in all states but WA...like Amazon?
10. Will any other retailers survive in society?

Jeffrey Lax

LEM-

quality posts: 147 Private Messages LEM-
jeffdoh wrote:Yesterday, for the first time,I saw an Amazon-Woot cross-promotion. It was an Amazon ad for the Android Tablet on Woot(azon).

Which beg the questions:

1. Will Amazon Prime members be able to order 2-day free shipping on Woot products (B-0-Cs!?).

You wish. Nope, not going to happen. If you want your crаp in 2 days - order it directly from Amazon. They sell a plenty, though it goes by different names...

2. Will people still post Amazon price comparison's for Woot products (that's kinda like comparing Sirius to XM)?

Hell yes. Woot is cheaper in most of the cases. And people will still get quality posts for them.

3. Will people still post reviews on here or will they simply link to their (more permanent) review on Amazon?

You bet they will. And they will still be awarded quality posts for both - posting original reviews (if they are good) and linking to Amazon.

I'll leave this question for you to guess. But here is a hint: the answer begins with "ne" and ends with "ver".

They probably will. If you send them the items, they may as well keep those. They will probably not refund or replace them for you...

Why not? Amazon sells them on their site (even if through 3rd party sellers). If Woot can get a killer deal on those, they will probably sell...

I hope not. The Woot writers have to stay there, at Woot.

If the team wins - Woot, if loses - Amazon.

Don't start me cursing here, would ya? It was up until that "merger" that Woot only charged taxes in Texas and I think one other state where they ran a warehouse... Now they charge taxes in all states where Amazon charges in addition to those. Amazon taxes: KS, KY, ND, NY and WA and as a New Yorker that makes me very mad![/b]

Do you care? We have Woot and Amazon, and that's a plenty...

zzzzz78759

LEM- wrote:

Don't start me cursing here, would ya? It was up until that "merger" that Woot only charged taxes in Texas and I think one other state where they ran a warehouse... Now they charge taxes in all states where Amazon charges in addition to those. Amazon taxes: KS, KY, ND, NY and WA and as a New Yorker that makes me very mad![/b]

Amazon charges tax in Texas now, too. That kind of ticked me off but how else are we going to get out of this massive debt?

bsmith1

zzzzz78759 wrote:Amazon charges tax in Texas now, too. That kind of ticked me off but how else are we going to get out of this massive debt?

Amazon charges KS tax, but woot doesn't! Shhh, don't tell 'em!

zzzzz78759

bsmith1 wrote:Amazon charges KS tax, but woot doesn't! Shhh, don't tell 'em!

I think you just did

Beffy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beffy

Anyone getting anything from Reference tracking? Not showing up for me :3

munkycrazy

quality posts: 8 Private Messages munkycrazy
Beffy wrote:Anyone getting anything from Reference tracking? Not showing up for me :3

Me either. At least my other Woot-off purchase was delivered today.

axis1029

quality posts: 0 Private Messages axis1029
neoxjoker wrote:YUSSSSSSS! FIRST BAG EVAR!

How does it feel

bsmith1

axis1029 wrote:How does it feel

warm and sticky

lacknedp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lacknedp
bsmith1 wrote:warm and sticky

Thats what he/she said . . . ?

Sorry, i just couldn't resist.

milk86

quality posts: 1 Private Messages milk86
munkycrazy wrote:Me either. At least my other Woot-off purchase was delivered today.

I got something off Kids woot and I shipping and also package the same day...Talk about service.. They are ON it....Woot in Texas me in Oklahoma

brandontisha2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brandontisha2

mines not even showing shipped yet....Its my first bag and the suspense is killing me!!!

kssmith79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kssmith79
brandontisha2 wrote:mines not even showing shipped yet....Its my first bag and the suspense is killing me!!!

Same here, I've got first bag jitters!

collegepunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages collegepunk

Well tomorrow is 5 business days from purchase so I would expect it to ship then. Nothing on track by ref yet.

As soon as they ship I will also be taking a break from the forums till mine are delivered.

Can't wait.

Woody1150

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Woody1150

I remember Kayboss getting a coveted "letter" after she mentioned in a forum she was awaiting her 2nd child. Well Woot, my wife is expecting our first in June. Bring on the POC for my baby!

Bgtunna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bgtunna
sjpearsall wrote:Sure how does $1 a set plus shipping sound?

I will buy as many sets as you would like to sell. Can we discuss over the phone [Mod note: Removed personal information]?

Thanks
Dave

ruf1o

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ruf1o
Bgtunna wrote:I will buy as many sets as you would like to sell. Can we discuss over the phone ###-###-####?

Thanks
Dave

I would advise against putting your (any) phone number in a public forum on the internet. Direct message it next time...

Let's go Duke!

zzzzz78759

Woody1150 wrote:I remember Kayboss getting a coveted "letter" after she mentioned in a forum she was awaiting her 2nd child. Well Woot, my wife is expecting our first in June. Bring on the POC for my baby!

Ummm...yeah, me too :D

zzzzz78759

Well, the charge for my Big o' Cosmos showed up. That usually indicates something is moving. I haven't been able to track by reference for several months now.

janry

quality posts: 6 Private Messages janry

Great News! My wife is preggers!

sjpearsall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjpearsall
Bgtunna wrote:I will buy as many sets as you would like to sell. Can we discuss over the phone [Mod note: Removed personal information]?

Thanks
Dave

Let me seem how many sets I can find. We will also need to figure out a way to communicate not on this forum. I can't figure out how to send a private message anyone else know?

Maybe this will work - go to the web site of the Nashua (NH) coin club and send a message to the webmaster - I will get it.

rob3333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rob3333
janry wrote:Great News! My wife is preggers!

Better news. I'm getting a bag of doody.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

sjpearsall wrote:Let me seem how many sets I can find. We will also need to figure out a way to communicate not on this forum. I can't figure out how to send a private message anyone else know?

Maybe this will work - go to the web site of the Nashua (NH) coin club and send a message to the webmaster - I will get it.

To send a private message, please click on the little envelope next to the username of the person to whom you wish to send a PM (found to the left of that person's post). So, say I wanted to send you a PM. I'd click on the envelope next to your name, like here:

To read your own PMs, please look at the top right corner of the forum frame--there will be a little envelope there. Click on that to retrieve, reread and respond to your own PMs:

kerrycindy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kerrycindy
lacknedp wrote:Thats what he/she said . . . ?

Sorry, i just couldn't resist.

Who said!

Beffy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beffy

Dear woot, send me a new Hard Drive for my laptop? Mines dying and I can't afford a new one! AH! Though some how I doubt they have spare hard drives laying around, haha.

katblue

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katblue
sjpearsall wrote:Let me seem how many sets I can find. We will also need to figure out a way to communicate not on this forum. I can't figure out how to send a private message anyone else know?

Click on Bgtunna's envelope that is located directly above where it says "quality posts". This will allow you to send him a private message.

Oops, it has already been explained. My bad.

FrostByte

quality posts: 10 Private Messages FrostByte

I got all the other stuff I ordered during the woot-off today even though they were originally scheduled to arrive on separate days.

Now just waiting for one more box/pallet/letter/job offer to fulfill the Big o' Cosmos.

Charter Member (0002314) - Friend of the Official Crappraiser Get your Official Crappraisal today.

woot 55 wine 5 shirt 34 sellout 12 kids 27 hh 2 moofi 3 home 7 sport 6
electronics 3 pop 4 tools 2 a&w 3 computers 0 total 163

.. / .-.. --- ...- . / .-- --- --- -

wareagle007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wareagle007

Hey Woot, thanks for being awesome and creative. I can't wait for my first Banshee o' Copernicus!

jeffdoh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffdoh
LEM- wrote:1. Will Amazon Prime members be able to order 2-day free shipping on Woot products (B-0-Cs!?).

You wish. Nope, not going to happen. If you want your crаp in 2 days - order it directly from Amazon. They sell a plenty, though it goes by different names...

Hell yes. Woot is cheaper in most of the cases. And people will still get quality posts for them.

You bet they will. And they will still be awarded quality posts for both - posting original reviews (if they are good) and linking to Amazon.

I'll leave this question for you to guess. But here is a hint: the answer begins with "ne" and ends with "ver".

They probably will. If you send them the items, they may as well keep those. They will probably not refund or replace them for you...

Why not? Amazon sells them on their site (even if through 3rd party sellers). If Woot can get a killer deal on those, they will probably sell...

I hope not. The Woot writers have to stay there, at Woot.

If the team wins - Woot, if loses - Amazon.

Do you care? We have Woot and Amazon, and that's a plenty...

Ha! Wow, you really took my post quite literally. My "questions" were kinda jokes/rhetorical, but thanks for the detailed answers!

Jeffrey Lax