Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Ever wondered how Woot's writers crank out all that Woot-Off copy, or what products are the hardest to write about? OK, you probably haven't. But by request of some members of our favorite social linksharing community, now you can find out anyway. Woot's writing team invited Reddit to ask us almost anything today, sparking over 500 comments and landing the discussion on Reddit's front page. We're blushing.

Thanks for having us, Redditors. We had a great time, even though we had to cut it short after a while so we could do our real jobs. But if you missed our five-man Redditastical jam, post your question below and we just might deign to acknowledge you. Forget talking about products - now you can talk about talking about products!

Quality Posts

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Some of us are still prowling around that thread with our personal accounts too, so keep an eye out if you asked a question that didn't get answered.

Edit: Or just ask it in here!

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

bloodypython

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bloodypython

love you, thank you-can I get a quality post now?

shopraymond

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shopraymond

Thanks for doing that. It is amazing me more and more each day who you'll see doing an AMA. I'll start showing you more love when I read the blog posts.

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

I adore the Woot writers! They are what makes the site so much fun.
Do they have a writer in Carrollton to do the Real Actual Field Tests, or will you start doing those in Seattle? Who is the writer?

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

panchitomen3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages panchitomen3

Thanks for taking the time! It was awesome to know a little about all of you guys and one of my favorite sites/store on the intertubes

qconrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qconrad

Bringing woot to reddit made my day... and my son's day for the link to the crapshoot game. I have no new questions, just a big thank you for doing it.

bsmith1

quality posts: 106 Private Messages bsmith1

Who do you think you are?
What gives you the right?

madfrisbee

quality posts: 6 Private Messages madfrisbee

An actual question I didn't see on the reddit discussion:

I know Toon was first, and then I think Lydon was second? What was the hiring order for everybody else? How long was Toon writing everything?

bsmith1

Here's a question: Can anything be done about the annoying Resolve (cleaning supplies) ad that automatically plays sound? This thing pops-up (in the right-hand column) like on every other woot page I view. Yeah, I know I could use some sort of ad-blocker, but that's not the point. Is woot aware that this particular ad has caused me (and probably others) to avoid visiting the site as much because I don't want unsolicited sound coming from my speakers?

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
madfrisbee wrote:An actual question I didn't see on the reddit discussion:

I know Toon was first, and then I think Lydon was second? What was the hiring order for everybody else? How long was Toon writing everything?

I believe it's: Jason, Scott, Matthew, Pilot, Randall in that order.

EDIT: I am wrong.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
llandar wrote:I believe it's: Jason, Scott, Matthew, Pilot, Randall in that order.

Actually, Matthew was first, as a freelancer, and I came into the picture a few weeks later, also freelancing. Initially, we each did a writeup for the next day's sale, and the Rutledge brothers chose the one they liked the best. That didn't last long.

I was hired full-time about a year later, in July '05. Before long, I was doing almost every writeup because Matthew was busy with the podcast by then. I'd guess that I did 90% of the writeups for about two years there.

Then we added Scott in, uh, 2007, I guess? Pilot and Randall joined in fall '09.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
bsmith1 wrote:Here's a question: Can anything be done about the annoying Resolve (cleaning supplies) ad that automatically plays sound? This thing pops-up (in the right-hand column) like on every other woot page I view. Yeah, I know I could use some sort of ad-blocker, but that's not the point. Is woot aware that this particular ad has caused me (and probably others) to avoid visiting the site as much because I don't want unsolicited sound coming from my speakers?

If you could provide us with the URL it takes you to, we'll look into getting rid of it. I haven't been able to trigger its appearance yet.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

bsmith1

Gatzby wrote:If you could provide us with the URL it takes you to, we'll look into getting rid of it. I haven't been able to trigger its appearance yet.

Thanks for the reply. Of course now that I want it to show up, it's nowhere to be found. I'll take note if I encounter it again.

madfrisbee

quality posts: 6 Private Messages madfrisbee

Wow, I never knew Matthew did product writeups. He sings! He plays! He writes! He... loves. (I had to freshly wax my mustache tips and polish up my monocle before typing that sentence.)

Just to pile on to the madding hordes, the teeming throngs, the panty-throwing groupies y'all have already been experiencing today - I started wooting because of Jason's writeups. I listened to the daily podcasts religiously (my favorites were the various Shanties of Bluetooth). When Scott signed on, I was amazed at how his writing style just fit perfectly with the tone of what Jason had already been doing. Randall and Pilot (Pilot?? When/where/what?) came on later and fit in well, but appealed slightly more to my inner eighth-grader. (...which probably sold more product!)

Keep 'em coming, boys. Some of us really appreciate your work.

bsmith1

Are you concerned that your positions will ever be outsourced?

Slydon

Staff

bsmith1 wrote:Are you concerned that your positions will ever be outsourced?

To whom? A bunch of Japanese guys who know English and can make nerd jokes?

... yes. Now we are.

Slydon

Staff

madfrisbee wrote:When Scott signed on, I was amazed at how his writing style just fit perfectly with the tone of what Jason had already been doing.

At least twice in the past four years, Jason and I had a product mixup and wrote almost EXACTLY the same thing for the same item without consulting each other. It's often eerie how well we synced up. But I'm very proud to work with everyone on the team and I think we all mesh perfectly.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 132 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

bsmith1 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Of course now that I want it to show up, it's nowhere to be found. I'll take note if I encounter it again.

When you get it, can you email in with the URL and/or a screen cap? We'll forward it to the guy who does the ads.