0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

bmw66x

quality posts: 48 Private Messages bmw66x

About TIME Amazon hooked us Wooters up with some Furbed Kindles. Like in Mortimer's Rap!

I'm Bryan. Nice to meet you, Wooter.

toastman91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toastman91

hmm....been wanting a kindle for a while

is the eink pearl screens of the newest versions that much different?

eman187

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eman187

Maybe I'll get this to replace my broken 3rd gen kindle. Got broken just sitting in my padded bag.

DemonicGman

quality posts: 10 Private Messages DemonicGman

I bought my mom this for Xmast last year and she loves it. A must buy for book readers. Amazon has great deals on books and most are 1/2 price if not more off for the Kindle. You'll save a lot of money long term.

As you can see from these CNET Reviews the Kindle rules.

Sorry here's the CNET Review and Specs for the 2nd generation.

jdorritie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jdorritie

get in for it if you like to read. i got the discount version of the newest one and i love it. the epink screen is great.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

A friend of mine recently bought a Nook Color and while we hacked it into nice tablet, it is not the best for a primary reading device.

If you want to primarily read on your device you can not get much better than the e-ink on the Kindle.

panithan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages panithan

What's the difference between this and the 3rd gen one? It's not that much cheaper than the current gen with "Special Offers." This one has 3g, but I really doubt I'll ever need to download a new book while not having access to WiFi, so that doesn't really matter that much to me.

toastman91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toastman91
panithan wrote:What's the difference between this and the 3rd gen one? It's not that much cheaper than the current gen with "Special Offers." This one has 3g, but I really doubt I'll ever need to download a new book while not having access to WiFi, so that doesn't really matter that much to me.

The new ones are a bit smaller and have the eink pearl screens. How much better they are I honestly dont know

shakemup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shakemup

Does this kindle work with posting on my blog at blogger.com?

dollarsigntheduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dollarsigntheduck

I was so ready to buy one all I saw on my phone was the word kindle...then it was a second gen very sad... lol

JayBird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JayBird

This is the 2nd version - there is a 3rd gen out there. Pass.

herriga

quality posts: 6 Private Messages herriga

I love mine it's great. You just have to remember that the oh so easy 1-click book purchases still cost money. I sometimes have a hard time with that.

DemonicGman

quality posts: 10 Private Messages DemonicGman
toastman91 wrote:The new ones are a bit smaller and have the eink pearl screens. How much better they are I honestly dont know

Compare the specs. I already posted the 2nd generation specs here are the Kindle 3 and Kindle DX.

wooftejo99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wooftejo99

2nd Gen. Kindle vs. 3rd Gen. Kindle

* 21% smaller body, same 6" reading area
* 15% lighter
* 50% improved screen contrast
* Crisper, darker fonts
* Double the storage
* Faster, quieter page turns
* Built-in Wi-Fi
* Enhanced PDF reader
* Soft-touch textured back
* New WebKit-based browser
* Voice Guide read-to-me menus
http://glennhendrickson.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-kindle-vs-my-259-2nd-generation.html

mkentosh

quality posts: 308 Private Messages mkentosh

Bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas, she loves all the free books you can download. Most of them are garbage, but free is free.

DocMphd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DocMphd
panithan wrote:What's the difference between this and the 3rd gen one? It's not that much cheaper than the current gen with "Special Offers." This one has 3g, but I really doubt I'll ever need to download a new book while not having access to WiFi, so that doesn't really matter that much to me.

Mostly size. Possibly a slightly sharper screen.

sdkammer

quality posts: 29 Private Messages sdkammer

We have one of each (my wife has the previous the one you see today and I have the newer generation). I like that mine is a bit smaller but my wife honestly likes the bigger size...feels more like a book to her and she likes the bigger buttons on the side.

The new display has a bit more contrast that you can see if you compare them side to side...but honestly, I wouldn't notice otherwise. They are both EXTREMELY easy to read in room or sunlight with no eye fatigue at all. If you've been on the fence...I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 2nd generation, I doubt you'll ever long for the newer one.

Thinking of getting this for my daughter...I'm going to go look at the kindle store to see how many of the tween type books are out there in kindle format...

wolfwood316

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wolfwood316

I love my current generation Kindle. It was a vanity purchase, but it turns out I've got a ton of use out of it. Best in industry e-ink, the screen is really nice. If you're on the fence about picking up an e-reader and don't really want to spend for a current-gen 3G Kindle, then I strongly recommend this as a good second choice.

magicwiser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages magicwiser

the special offers refers to ads. while your reading ads will pop up for different companies which, to me, is the opposite of what I want while reading.

mkentosh

you need to be carefull if you leave the web browser on all the time, it drains the battery down very quickly.

LadyBacon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LadyBacon

I'm happier with a Nook, since I can get ebooks from the public library.

StarBob

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StarBob

Basically what they say is that the 3rd generation has a clearer screen (more contrast) faster page turning, and is thinner/lighter. There are probably some other finer things - like the fact that this one is white and the 3rd gen ones are dark grey.

I have the Special Offers one that I picked up the day it came out. The extra $25 is DEFINITELY worth it over this version if only for the special offers. So far in the past month I've gotten a $20 Amazon gift card for $10 and 50% off of any Roku device. And those are only the ones I've used. I'd suggest unless you REALLY need to spend less than $100, go ahead and get a third gen with special offers.

I'm sure this one is just fine and the fact that it's a 3G version adds a little value (though how often are you in places with no wifi?) so it's a good deal, but if you're willing to ignore an add that sits on the screen while you're not using it and enjoy awesome Amazon deals, shell out the $115 and enjoy.

Escargoexpress

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Escargoexpress
eman187 wrote:Maybe I'll get this to replace my broken 3rd gen kindle. Got broken just sitting in my padded bag.

Amazon is quite generous with dealing with broken screens. I've had it replaced once for free, again for $70.
Basically, never put the kindle on a soft, comfy surface, because people will sit on it, and it's thin enough that it will flex and cause the screen to crack.

DocMphd

I've got the 2nd gen Kindle and absolutely love it. Best electronics device ever made.

Yes, the 3rd gen is a bit smaller while still maintaining screen size, and has wifi. If you read a ton, it is probably worth getting it. If you read occasionally, this one will do you just fine.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

JustPeachy85 is happy to show us the differences ;)

star2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages star2

Rumor says kindle can check woot, can someone confirm this?

panithan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages panithan
magicwiser wrote:the special offers refers to ads. while your reading ads will pop up for different companies which, to me, is the opposite of what I want while reading.

I'm pretty sure the ads only appear on the screensaver page and not while you're reading.

jeffyn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jeffyn

It is a great deal.Lots of free books on Amazon. 3g is a must.

DocMphd

magicwiser wrote:the special offers refers to ads. while your reading ads will pop up for different companies which, to me, is the opposite of what I want while reading.

I am pretty sure that ads DO NOT pop up while you are reading.

mindylove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mindylove

My mom just bought one for me as a gift! She has the newer version that she got for Christmas from me and she absolutely loves it. I told her about the 2nd gen being a little bigger and she said that is actually better. We both read pretty quickly and she finds herself turning pages very frequently. Can't wait to get it!

tivonutdc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tivonutdc
chazm59 wrote:Daily Steals has one. 85 bucks

I noticed that too. The NOOK 3G $85 +5 shipping on Daily Steals. Very tempting as it is e-Ink also, so crisp reading and you can download from libraries. Funny how that happened on the same day?

I love my Kindle 3 Generation and notice it is just slightly crisper than the 2nd Gen of my friends. It also has a bigger font. The only thing I definitely like better on the 2nd Gen is the cursor stick.

Amazon has great warranty service and this says 1 year warranty, that is great!

shakemup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shakemup

Can anyone who has a kindle 3g check blogger.com and see how it works please?

mkentosh

Does it come with the pencil too?

reluctant

quality posts: 9 Private Messages reluctant

I would definitely get this if I didn't already have the exact same Kindle. As previously noted, the contrast is "better" on the 3rd generation, but while numbers are easy to spout, it's much harder to tell the difference in real life.

The latest firmware for the 2nd gen has vastly improved page turning speed. I find it virtually the same as the newest 3rd gen.

The 3rd gen has a better D-pad, but only marginally so.

This is an excellent deal for an excellent Kindle. I would already have ordered mine if I didn't already have it. If you get one, look into the screensaver hack to replace those awful screensavers. There's a fonthack available too, but I didn't see the need for it.

bmrbill

quality posts: 129 Private Messages bmrbill

Looks like $189 new, good price here for a refurb...

jeffdoh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffdoh

I Wooted this the last (and first) time it was up here for $150 last July. Here's a link to that http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4015916

Loved it so much that I got my wife (then my GF) the same one from Amazon (now Woot).

And now we read our wooted Kindles in bed together every night before we go to sleep.

Awww.

Jeffrey Lax

rridgebacks

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rridgebacks

This is a great price for the 3G model, even if only 2nd gen. This is the model I bought my mom for her 89th birthday in December, and I never, ever could have made a better choice. She's in BF Arkansas, where a wi-fi connection at her home would be cost-prohibitive, not to mention extremely sloooooow.

Anything remotely even looking like it requires any tech-savvy at all scares her off, but when she got this we had already loaded a book she wanted, turned it on and handed it to her, and she was instantly in love. Every time we talk, she lets me know what she's reading, and how much she's enjoying it. The only thing I really needed to do was set her up with an e-mail address on my account, and we are finding it's easier to look for free books on the computer and then have them sent to her Kindle. Works well for her, and it gives me another reason to spend a little more time with her on the phone. She's 89, I'll take any little bits I can get!!! LOL

Yay, Woot, good choice!

rridgebacks

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rridgebacks
wendellwu wrote:dailysteals.com is selling a NOOK 3G for $85. Have difficulty deciding which deal is better.

When my sister played with my mom's Kindle for an hour or so, she shipped her recently-purchased Nook back to B&N and bought a Kindle.

Just her opinion :0)

tvman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tvman

I have a nook and I love it. Eink is not exclusive to kindle and the best thing about nook is the ability to use epub library books. Every Friday they give you a book for free too. Plus the Barnes & Noble prices on ebooks is great. They always have lots of sales etc.