prfesser

quality posts: 7 Private Messages prfesser

I keep my colon to my self and my gastro-enterologist.

The question mark has an air of mystery to it - what comes next "?". Anticipation, and many other Carly Simon songs (and album covers) becomes a driving force leading on to who knows what"?"

It's what gives impetus to the acronym W*T*F"?"

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

wlroes wrote:Why so little love for the colon.
everybody enjoys the colon from time to time.

Puede la muerte comenzar en el COLON?!

pojster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pojster

~

Morrissey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Morrissey
falconknight06 wrote:You guys forgot the best punctuation mark, the interobang!

THAT was my vote. Maybe I could get a shirt.woot interrobang shirt.

thatheard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatheard
cengland0 wrote:I like the period (.). Few sentences are complete without it.

I'm guessing you're not a woman. :-P

For me, the best punctuation mark is easily the ellipsis. Now I don't have to finish a thought...

kmc4637

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmc4637

The semicolon, the most pretentious of all punctuation.

tenieldjo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tenieldjo

I used to like ellipses, but I've seen them used improperly so many times now it makes me sort angry. Ellipses, in my mind, are used to imply trailing off, to imply an eventual continuation, or too add an implied "duh" at the end of a statement. Respectively:
"I was at the... er... thing..."
"I guess she was... *put on sunglasses* out of time."
"Obviously..."

So, when people randomly add it to things, it makes them sound like sarcastic jerks or really uncertain. Like when I go to lunch with my friend and she texts "I'm here..." what is the purpose of the ellipses? Or when I ask my boss if this code is ready to check into the library and she emails back "Yes..." Why? WHY? USE THEM RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL.

Also, when people use more than three dots. >

HPPH

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HPPH
flagg34 wrote:( is awesome. It's a beginning.

It's so incomplete

catta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages catta

I love me an ellipsis.

First Big o' Cosmos: Super-secret Moofi edition on 06/16/2011

theomach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theomach

I'm gonna have to go with the "Snark" or the "Irony Mark". Given today's prevalence of written communication having a handy punctuation mark to tell the reader to not take the sentence literally is quite handy.

http://thesnark.org/faq/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation

DaleCoop14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DaleCoop14

Ellipsis. . . .

Best. . . punctuation. . . ever.

neminem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neminem

Poll fails, interrobang wasn't an option. :p

DanarBB

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DanarBB
thatheard wrote:I'm guessing you're not a woman. :-P

For me, the best punctuation mark is easily the ellipsis. Now I don't have to finish a thought...

Wait, so you're saying you'd prefer 3 periods together rather than a single period?

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
tenieldjo wrote:I used to like ellipses, but I've seen them used improperly so many times now it makes me sort angry. Ellipses, in my mind, are used to imply trailing off, to imply an eventual continuation, or too add an implied "duh" at the end of a statement. Respectively:
"I was at the... er... thing..."
"I guess she was... *put on sunglasses* out of time."
"Obviously..."

So, when people randomly add it to things, it makes them sound like sarcastic jerks or really uncertain. Like when I go to lunch with my friend and she texts "I'm here..." what is the purpose of the ellipses? Or when I ask my boss if this code is ready to check into the library and she emails back "Yes..." Why? WHY? USE THEM RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL.

Also, when people use more than three dots. >

Three dots signifying something left out. Four dots at the end, signifying something left out and the end of the sentence.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

tastyprawn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tastyprawn

I came here to say the same. This is why I chose "Other."

tadriaansen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tadriaansen

c'mon, ; is awesome, part colon, part something else... and that something else is magical

OhWoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OhWoot

~ = Tilde (lets all get nasal)

oclafretep

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oclafretep
Hardebeck wrote:. End of story.

'.' Period.

ocpadrino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocpadrino

$

pmf2448

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmf2448

uh hello, what about "."? The building block for the infamous "..."

BonesMello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BonesMello

(pauses for dramatic effect) POINTS OF ELLIPSE ...

Armagedon

quality posts: 106 Private Messages Armagedon

♠♦ <-These two guys are awesome; I already voted for the semicolon before I remembered these.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus

semicolon = best!

"With educated people, I suppose, punctuation is a matter of rule; with me it is a matter of feeling. But I must say I have a great respect for the semicolon; it's a useful little chap." -Abraham Lincoln

Although it isn't punctuation, I also love me some lemniscate.

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

So did you hear about the copy editor who had a hysterectomy and a bowel resection?

She was left with a semicolon and no periods!

mididude39

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mididude39

You CAN'T forget about WingDings.... but, I guess those arent punctuation, though. But they ARE cool!

ensuingrequiem

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ensuingrequiem

Came here to say that.

buzzby10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages buzzby10

Many mention the interobang. given the look of the thing, why isn't it called the exclamark?

thatheard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatheard
DanarBB wrote:Wait, so you're saying you'd prefer 3 periods together rather than a single period?

I'm not of the female persuasion so I don't particularly care. I'd hate to live with one that was going through a hockey game though.

Barac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barac

Em dash (—) FTW: a highly versatile—yet seldom used—punctuation mark.

The em dash (in case you didn't know) is the dash used to separate a related word, phrase, or clause within a sentence.

The general rule is that a closely related word/phrase/clause is separated with commas, a somewhat closely related word/phrase/clause with em dashes, and a distantly related word/phrase/clause with parentheses. See the above paragraphs for a comparison of the appropriate use of em dashes vs. parentheses.

The em dash may also be used to set off a dependent or independent cause at the end of a sentence, as in this example: In US English, there are not spaces before or after the em-dash—it is inserted directly between two words.

In addition, the em dash may be used to indicate an unfinished sentence or aposiopesis.

Nota bene: The em dash is slightly longer than the en dash and much longer than a hyphen. Do not confuse the three. Also, MS Word (and other word processors) auto-correct a "double hyphen" (--) into an em dash if placed directly between two words without spaces (like--this). This is only for the convenience of the typist; it is not technically appropriate to substitute a double hyphen for an em dash (although most readers would understand the typist's intent).

For more information, see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash

themarklewis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themarklewis

Another vote for the interrobang:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang

MukYJ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MukYJ

I voted for a semicolon, but I'm also a really big fan of the ellipsis...

promyst

quality posts: 30 Private Messages promyst

Awesome!

Support the Open Web

whitlock929

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitlock929

periods are mighty.... can change 789 to 7.89 without blinking. they end things. they omit things. . is all powerful

BlackCreekBearTRP1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCreekBearTRP1
pmf2448 wrote:uh hello, what about "."? The building block for the infamous "..."

KMHinsman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KMHinsman

My personal favorite -

:-)

BlackCreekBearTRP1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCreekBearTRP1
BlackCreekBearTRP1 wrote:

"I agree the quotation's, are what belong." Without which who could quote Shakespeare, Edison, or even John F. Kennedy.

atimesa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atimesa

C/C++/Java/JavaScript/etc...

I've typed more ; in my life than anything else,

but the only one you can play a game with is the

octothorp -- tic-tack-toe is awsome!

RATM23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RATM23

Ellipsis FTW...

anything could be between those dots!
they can also build suspense.

word.

SomethingWitty37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SomethingWitty37

Interrobang!?

mattschuette

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mattschuette

Staff

pmf2448 wrote:uh hello, what about "."? The building block for the infamous "..."

While I doubt the infamy of the ellipsis, I am sure it is not simply three consecutive periods. In typesetting as well as Unicode the period and ellipsis are distinct—and singular—entities. Three periods should be used as a last resort when it isn't possible to produce a proper ellipsis. It's not that hard to get it right, and "…" looks nicer than "...". Even the iPhone lets you use an ellipsis instead of three periods.

At any rate, my favorite is a tie between the interrobang and the semicolon (as a statement terminator and various other programming constructs). I voted semicolon.