Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

darkinc

quality posts: 31 Private Messages darkinc

this...looks...old...

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007

Wow, this is almost worse than a netbook lol.

It is a little more powerful, but still. Where did you find this Woot?

Scooley01

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Scooley01

What does off lease mean?

sva777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sva777

Wow antiques, hey woot don't delete my comments anymore please!

rktrouble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rktrouble

Wow, who set the way back machine!

hackman2007

Scooley01 wrote:What does off lease mean?

It was previously used by a company that leased the laptop. But then once the lease was over, they chose to return the laptop and probably get another one.

Kind of like how a car lease works.

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

Pudnhead

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Pudnhead

Parallel and serial ports in the docking station? Is there any use for those anymore or is that just an indication of how old this is? This is a serious question, by the way.

lapolonio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lapolonio

Wow... back in the day I would be happy to jump on this... but this is 2011 not 2007, can't we find these in RePC or some other ecycle place for cheaper?

Maybe they should be paying us to take this stuff off their hands.

killakat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killakat

This must be a test for the next April Fool's Woot product...

Scooley01

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Scooley01
hackman2007 wrote:It was previously used by a company that leased the laptop. But then once the lease was over, they chose to return the laptop and probably get another one.

Kind of like how a car lease works.

So not only is it used/refurbished, but it was likely extensively used? No thanks!

npfeiffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages npfeiffer

Sadly, this is what the current Lenovos look like. At least the business ones. Nothing special here though..

pupyluvr

quality posts: 49 Private Messages pupyluvr
hackman2007 wrote:Wow, this is almost worse than a netbook lol.

It is a little more powerful, but still. Where did you find this Woot?

The good news is that it pulls double dooty as a sledge hammer.

visio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages visio

the docking station alone goes for $178 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/IBM-Mini-Docking-Station-ThinkPad/dp/B003S953B6

hackman2007

My big question is, was this machine actually refurbished? Or did Lenovo just slap a refurb sticker on it since the machine was off-lease and they can't sell it as new?

KCFalcon59

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KCFalcon59

Yep, these are very old. I used this model at work prior to my current model so these are at least 4 years old.

HolyMythos

quality posts: 48 Private Messages HolyMythos

When I was at a private college all students were given these laptops. Yes, they're cool, until suddenly they aren't.

25% of the students in my class had problems with the screens. Something would get loose on the inside of the screen and the computer screen would go haywire unless you put pressure on it. This meant that people had clips (the kind you use to close a bag of potato chips) on the sides of their screens to continually put pressure on the point so the screen would work correctly. This happened to mine. Note that this all happened within the first year. And when I say 25%, that's a good 1000+ students.

The plastic is also very, very cheap and flimsy. Many of the students had problems where there would be cracks and gaps in the plastic, even though we were all given laptop bags to carry the laptop in. Seriously, any bump could easily break the plastic on this thing.

The only good thing I liked about this computer was that it was light. Very, very light.

NapalmRiot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NapalmRiot

How is this a bad computer for a poor student going into college that just needs something to toss in his bag and use solely for word-processing and internet research?

own'd

hackman2007

Scooley01 wrote:So not only is it used/refurbished, but it was likely extensively used? No thanks!

Possibly.

I would like to see Woot provide some clarification on the refurb/off-lease thing.

wifigod

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wifigod

This was my primary workstation (in office and on the go) for about 2 years; loved it. :-)

If I didn't have 4 other lappys laying around, I'd debate picking this one up. It's a solid office/browsing laptop.

amujee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amujee

I have a T60P and it's a good rugged machine.
But 1024x768 on a 15" screen? Yikes.

owenv!

quality posts: 2 Private Messages owenv!

soooo, does this come with any version of Windows? Or was that lost in the lease? I don't see it in the description.

paltex9

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paltex9

would have bought one if the docking station was not present. shows how old this is.

TimJohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TimJohn

There's a review from over 5 years ago if you Google it. I don't see why you wouldn't spend slightly more for a netbook or tablet.

dselig

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dselig
owenv! wrote:soooo, does this come with any version of Windows? Or was that lost in the lease? I don't see it in the description.

xp pro 32 bit (look at the bottom)

i have no clue what to write here anymore....

theimmc

quality posts: 10 Private Messages theimmc

Old hardware, but reliable stuff (I have 2 T series Lenovos) and good price. Only question is, is this the original battery? If so, pass.

owenv!

quality posts: 2 Private Messages owenv!
dselig wrote:xp pro 32 bit (look at the bottom)

can't believe I missed it. Thanks

Souka

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Souka
amujee wrote:I have a T60P and it's a good rugged machine.
But 1024x768 on a 15" screen? Yikes.

Agree.

It's a SOLID laptop... docking station is great, even if just for charging.

But... this particular T60 is a very low end model.

1.86GHz core-duo (not core2duo)
1GB RAM
GMA graphics
60GB 5400rpm drive.

I used to love these laptops...but this particular model I'd opt for a cheap $300 laptop (new).

woncoolone

quality posts: 609 Private Messages woncoolone

usclawyer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages usclawyer

I work at a BigLaw firm in Los Angeles. We got new IBM Lenovo T400s a few months ago and upgraded from XP to Windows 7.
We didn't treat our leased laptops too kindly, and mine had beaucoup miles on it (e.g., I'm sitting at my desk working now).

In sum, I'm pretty sure that Woot is selling my old laptop.

kovarlane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kovarlane

This a XP OS. I wonder if you could install Win7 on this?

dbmpsd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dbmpsd

Cheaper on eBay, but no dock. I guess the older folks who use AOL would not mind the 8 year old OS. This is the computer for the sketchy areas of town. Why not leave the car unlocked, maybe somebody will have the kindness to add some memory so that you can run more than one application at a time.

fishshapedethylbenzene

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fishshapedethylbenzene

I fix these little guys for my company when they break, and they all went out of their original 3 year warranty over a year ago IIRC. Now when they die we just recommend buying something new. They're decent machines, but there's a reason their lease is up. The life span of a laptop is short.

ajmssc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ajmssc

I have this at work. One of the most solid laptops and I've been using it every day for 5 years

cheroke55

quality posts: 37 Private Messages cheroke55

Be sure to get a Squaretrade extended warranty, and use the promo code JULY04, you might want to wait until they reuse the code and it goes back to 30% off, but this ones good for 20% off until the 4th. They're always giving 30% specials, they've given 5 out since fathers day. You can get one up to 90 days from sell.

sodalite

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sodalite
owenv! wrote:can't believe I missed it. Thanks

can't believe you got a quality post out of that :p who determines such things?

BigD

quality posts: 69 Private Messages BigD
hackman2007 wrote:Possibly.

I would like to see Woot provide some clarification on the refurb/off-lease thing.

It's exactly what it sounds like. This is a business notebook that a company leased from IBM. At the end of the lease, the company returned the notebook to IBM who puts it through an extensive refurbishment process, wipes the hard drive, installs a fresh OS, and ensures that all accessories are present. IBM (as the leasing company, they sold their PC business and Thinkpad brand to Lenovo years ago) works with Lenovo to get a 90 day warranty on the notebooks and then sells them wholesale.

What does refurbished or recertified mean? Click here to find out.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
rom wrote:Notebook Review: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2767

Not the same specs and has different screen than this one.

beagleboy99

quality posts: 6 Private Messages beagleboy99

I worked for a consulting company for a while and this was the exact machine we all carried on the road. I added more memory and that made a big difference (I think it was under $30 for another gb at the time). These things are really durable and take quite the beating-I had mine for over 3 years and it went into the TSA bins over 500 times and I never had a failure, which was pretty typical for the users at my company. These aren't the fastest or lightest, but they are durable, parts are easy and cheap to get (I did end up putting a new trackpad and buttons on mine eventually), It is kind of like the Ford Taurus of laptops, nothing flashy or fast, but durable and reliable. The only weak spot we found was the battery since we left it plugged in most of the time those went bad from infrequent charge cycles. The newer versions we received as replacements had a good battery health program that took care of that issue.