kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
dontwantaname wrote:A few people on the block have generators. They are so damn loud.
In laws have a gas one, hooked directly into the gas line.
He has never had to use it. Most likely it won't work when he needs it.

IF I ever decide to buy a house, I will have one of those put in.

But I don't own, so I don't have that option.

If we have another hurricane with long power outages I may change my mind

lplady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lplady

Evening wootville.

Does anyone know how long food stays good in the fridge/freezer after power goes out?

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
lplady wrote:Evening wootville.

Does anyone know how long food stays good in the fridge/freezer after power goes out?

As long as you don't keep opening the door to check on it, surprisingly long (2 or 3 days for the freezer). If you put a quilt or sleeping bag over the appliance it will add insulation and help a bit.

In the end only kindness matters

lplady

Iceback wrote:As long as you don't keep opening the door to check on it, surprisingly long (2 or 3 days for the freezer). If you put a quilt or sleeping bag over the appliance it will add insulation and help a bit.

Thanks!

Iceback

From the FDA:
Always keep meat, poultry, fish, and eggs refrigerated at or below 40 °F and frozen food at or below 0 °F. This may be difficult when the power is out.

Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature. The refrigerator will keep food safely cold for about 4 hours if it is unopened. A full freezer will hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed. Obtain dry or block ice to keep your refrigerator as cold as possible if the power is going to be out for a prolonged period of time. Fifty pounds of dry ice should hold an 18-cubic foot full freezer for 2 days. Plan ahead and know where dry ice and block ice can be purchased.

kdccrosby

Iceback wrote:From the FDA:
Always keep meat, poultry, fish, and eggs refrigerated at or below 40 °F and frozen food at or below 0 °F. This may be difficult when the power is out.

Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature. The refrigerator will keep food safely cold for about 4 hours if it is unopened. A full freezer will hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed. Obtain dry or block ice to keep your refrigerator as cold as possible if the power is going to be out for a prolonged period of time. Fifty pounds of dry ice should hold an 18-cubic foot full freezer for 2 days. Plan ahead and know where dry ice and block ice can be purchased.

you could keep some of those blue plastic freezer things in there. maybe those would help keep things cold longer too

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
lplady wrote:Evening wootville.

When we were without power for a couple of days a few years ago, we had frozen 2-liter bottles of ice. Put the food in coolers with the frozen bottles and the food kept cold for days.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

lplady

Thanks everyone.

Not asking for my area as much as for my aunts, but now they're evacuating her area so she's coming here to stay. Of course our electric could go out too but it's more likely it'll be the shore areas that do. Didn't take officials long to go from...you might want to leave to GET OUT. lol

pooflady

I have a friend whose daugter and s-i-l live in Norfolk. She's very relieved, they're evacuating tonight. S-i-l wanted to wait another day. Why? Then you get caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

lplady

pooflady wrote:I have a friend whose daugter and s-i-l live in Norfolk. She's very relieved, they're evacuating tonight. S-i-l wanted to wait another day. Why? Then you get caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Yep, she's packing herself, kids and animals up now and driving up here tonight. Better than hitting lots of traffic tomorrow with vacationers leaving town along with residents.

pooflady

lplady wrote:Yep, she's packing herself, kids and animals up now and driving up here tonight. Better than hitting lots of traffic tomorrow with vacationers leaving town along with residents.

What about you? It's supposed to hit pretty close to you, too, isn't it?

kdccrosby

lplady wrote:Yep, she's packing herself, kids and animals up now and driving up here tonight. Better than hitting lots of traffic tomorrow with vacationers leaving town along with residents.

having gone through the whole "WE ALL ARE GOING TO DIE AND EVERYONE IN HOUSTON SHOULD EVACUATE" disaster that was Rita, I can say leaving earlier is better.

And I hope the DOT's in your states have planned well.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

lplady wrote:Thanks everyone.

Not asking for my area as much as for my aunts, but now they're evacuating her area so she's coming here to stay. Of course our electric could go out too but it's more likely it'll be the shore areas that do. Didn't take officials long to go from...you might want to leave to GET OUT. lol

They are worried about storm surge.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

kdccrosby

dontwantaname wrote:They are worried about storm surge.

And they should be.

Going to bed. Night all

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:They are worried about storm surge.

How far are you from water?

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:How far are you from water?

10 miles. No storm surge here.

Dentist brother in law is on the bay on the south shore.
He might be in trouble.
The barrier island washed over in a storm, before he bought the house. All the houses on it were destroyed. So they built even bigger ones.//sigh

The barrier island is all that separates him from the ocean.
Plus his dental office and the school his wife teachers in are only 1/2 mile from the water.

Oh no! If the lights go out, I'll have to get my mom. Doomed. We are doomed.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

OK, good night.
If Cruzer don't show, I guess I own PWA. I don't know how, I think it was here before I was.
Maybe not.

Before I posted. That is for sure.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:10 miles. No storm surge here.

He might be in trouble.
The barrier island washed over in a storm, before he bought the house. All the houses on it were destroyed. So they built even bigger ones.//sigh

Plus his dental office and the school his wife teachers in are only 1/2 mile from the water.

Have you mentioned this to hubby? He might opt to drive west after all.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Have you mentioned this to hubby? He might opt to drive west after all.

He won't even drive for ice.

The fact we might have to house mom might make him leave!

We don't have a bed she can get into. Both kids beds are high.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:OK, good night.
If Cruzer don't show, I guess I own PWA. I don't know how, I think it was here before I was.
Maybe not.

Before I posted. That is for sure.

It's all yours.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

July 20, 2005 first post whore that I can find. 300 something pages.

So I was around. Just not posting.
I think I started reading in march 2005, I can find out. I didn't join until I bought something.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:July 20, 2005 first post whore that I can find. 300 something pages.

So I was around. Just not posting.
I think I started reading in march 2005, I can find out. I didn't join until I bought something.

You have to remember, it wasn't until sometime in 2005 that there was more than one forum.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:You have to remember, it wasn't until sometime in 2005 that there was more than one forum.

Yeah, and I couldn't figure out where everyone went.
Then I found it and was all excited!

OK, going to sleep. Got haircut tomorrow. If I drown, I'm going to look good.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Iceback

Good morning all.
I'm only working until 11:00 today, that's when I'll have my 40 in.
I do have to go in very early on Saturday for an hour or 2 for a little project.

lplady

pooflady wrote:What about you? It's supposed to hit pretty close to you, too, isn't it?

I'm about 90 minutes from the ocean. We're suppose to get tropical storm or hurricane winds (more likely tropical) and lots of rain, but of course not as strong as the shore numbers. Family that drove here are right on the ocean in Avalon NJ, a mandatory evacuation zone.

Problem is that we've had a ton of rain this month so things may flood where they don't normally see much of it in our area. I'm several miles from waterways, thankfully.

Mostly have to worry about sewers getting clogged during storm which will cause houses to flood and of course power lines coming down from trees. Walkie talkies were passed out last night in case phones go down and we have short wave radios as does neighbor. I just have to run out and get extra food today since I now have more mouths to feed for at least the weekend.

Good morning Ice and all who follow.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
Iceback wrote:I just made a statement, you chose to make it personal.

You're right. I was in a pissy mood yesterday.

My apologies.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
AZGman wrote:After the last several posts, I believe it's time I sought another forum. It's clear my beliefs are not in keeping with the majority here.

May drop by once in awhile just to say howdy.

ciao 4 niao.

//backpedals

//pulls foot out of mouth; head out of ass

//eats crow

Mornin', folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! AZ, do you have to evacuate? Aren't Joe and Kenny more inland?

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

mornin' y'all. we are looking a bit better off this morning than last night. now right along the edge of the 40mph winds. were in the 60mph wind range then. the farther east of the Eastern Shore of MD and Delaware it is, the better off we are. I dunno, D'name, that 10 miles from shore is enough to be unworried about storm surge. especially if it's pretty flat.

We're certainly safe from that, we're more like about 50 miles from the bay, let alone the ocean. it's a couple of hours drive to the Eastern Shore.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Nothing here yet. Supposed to be a nice day. Not expecting it to stay that way over the weekend, though.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Happy Friday and good morning all.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:mornin' y'all. we are looking a bit better off this morning than last night. now right along the edge of the 40mph winds. were in the 60mph wind range then. the farther east of the Eastern Shore of MD and Delaware it is, the better off we are. I dunno, D'name, that 10 miles from shore is enough to be unworried about storm surge. especially if it's pretty flat.

We're certainly safe from that, we're more like about 50 miles from the bay, let alone the ocean. it's a couple of hours drive to the Eastern Shore.

We won't get any surge. Even the doomsday map is far from here.

Of course, if the bridges or tunnels get it, we are doomed.
Except for the Bronx, all of NYC and Long Island is on islands.
Only 2 bridges go directly to the mainland. The rest go through other islands, like Manhattan and Staten Island.
But it isn't a problem. There are only a few million people here.

Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island. They deny it, but they are.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

The worry is trees. We have had the wettest Aug. So the fear is more trees will go down with the wind.
This is only a category 1.
But the direct hit will drive more storm surge and the soggy soil will make the trees and telephone poles fall faster.

But hubby doesn't believe any of it, so we will starve in the dark.

We went to costco yesterday. Should have bought more food.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Iceback

AZGman wrote:You're right. I was in a pissy mood yesterday.

My apologies.

I don't think anyone lost any sleep over it. I should have let it slide.

Please be safe this weekend. Gman and all others in the path. I finally talked my niece in Willmington NC to get out.

Iceback

AZGman wrote:You're right. I was in a pissy mood yesterday.

My apologies.

No. Problem. We all have our moments. If we were all in agreement on all issues what a boring world it would be.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

curses! she (hurricane Irene) moved west again, at least here. back in the 50mph winds again.

edit: mebe she widened instead. course looks the same, just spread out more. I suppose she's getting middle aged!

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
pooflady wrote:It's all yours.

Yup. I think it should be d'names.

Maybe Gman's. Or poof.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
dontwantaname wrote:10 miles. No storm surge here.

He might be in trouble.

I guess I picked the wrong week to go up to the New York area. I don't know if I'll make it up there or not. I may get stopped by the airlines!

pooflady

cruzer wrote:I guess I picked the wrong week to go up to the New York area. I don't know if I'll make it up there or not. I may get stopped by the airlines!

Yep, I think you picked the wrong week. Cleanup is going to take a long time.

pooflady

Down to a Category 2, that has to help. And I think they said Category 1 in NYC.