kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
zea3 wrote:My boys are helping me menu plan. They have some interesting ideas as to what constitutes "healthy foods".

cheetos
fries
hamburgers
???

zea3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zea3

The healthy foods brainstorming session produced these suggestions; meatball subs, pizza w/o bacon, smaller portions of steak, fishsticks, & eat less pickles.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
zea3 wrote:The healthy foods brainstorming session produced these suggestions; meatball subs, pizza w/o bacon, smaller portions of steak, fishsticks, & eat less pickles.

And the leafy green stuff?

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
zea3 wrote:The healthy foods brainstorming session produced these suggestions; meatball subs, pizza w/o bacon, smaller portions of steak, fishsticks, & eat less pickles.

Our 17 yo daughter planned our dinner. Taco hotdogs. Dogs with taco sauce, salsa, lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream on a bun. Hubby is miserable. Since it had lettuce and cheese she thought it was healthy.

I have a Maytag dishwasher that I love. I don't know what the model is but it is great! We are at the beach and the one I like is in NC. It is quiet. The manual said don't think it isn't working because you can't hear it. It holds a lot more dishes because you don't have to work around the water squirter thingy. Bought it at Lowes. May be 2 years old.

kdccrosby

I had NO idea pickles were that unhealthy!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Yo all.

Zea, I have a Kenmore Elite DW. Had to buy one when I moved in this house. Did some research and settled on Sears because they were easy to find for repairs.

If you're not worried about a scratch or two, check their and other appliance outlets for Scratch & Dents or floor models. I did that for the house I sold. Got great deals for stuff with one minor scratch on it.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

kdccrosby wrote:I had NO idea pickles were that unhealthy!

By 2nd grade, son was convinced that pickles made you go bald because his dad loved pickles and he was losing his hair.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
no1 wrote:NEWS FLASH: HOT IN TEJAS IN SUMMER. PEEPUL IN TIZZY.

Look...this has been the 32nd consecutive day over 100 here( 2nd longest on record btw), the only reason it hasn't been the 37th is beccause on July 1rst it only got to 98. The only thing we can do about it is move or b!tch, since I am financially and emotionally tied to this area I am going to continue exercising the only real option I have.
Fun fact- 13 people have died in the Dallas area from the heat so far this summer

In the end only kindness matters

zea3

joyner wrote:Our 17 yo daughter planned our dinner. Taco hotdogs. Dogs with taco sauce, salsa, lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream on a bun. Hubby is miserable. Since it had lettuce and cheese she thought it was healthy.

I'm miserable just reading about it!

joyner wrote:
I have a Maytag dishwasher that I love. I don't know what the model is but it is great! We are at the beach and the one I like is in NC. It is quiet. The manual said don't think it isn't working because you can't hear it. It holds a lot more dishes because you don't have to work around the water squirter thingy. Bought it at Lowes. May be 2 years old.

Do you remember what kind of warranty it has?

zea3

ThunderThighs wrote:Yo all.

Zea, I have a Kenmore Elite DW. Had to buy one when I moved in this house. Did some research and settled on Sears because they were easy to find for repairs.

If you're not worried about a scratch or two, check their and other appliance outlets for Scratch & Dents or floor models. I did that for the house I sold. Got great deals for stuff with one minor scratch on it.

That may be worth looking into. The Conn's outlet down here is to be avoided however. Most of their scratch and dents looked more like they fell off the truck at 60 miles and hour!

ThunderThighs

Staff

zea3 wrote:That may be worth looking into. The Conn's outlet down here is to be avoided however. Most of their scratch and dents looked more like they fell off the truck at 60 miles and hour!

I wasn't impressed by the two Conn's I've been in here either.

Another idea is to watch Craigslist for someone remodeling and replacing their newer dishwasher. All you have to do is buy a new hose kit for that brand. No warranty though.

kdccrosby

zea3 wrote:That may be worth looking into. The Conn's outlet down here is to be avoided however. Most of their scratch and dents looked more like they fell off the truck at 60 miles and hour!

I just bought my washer and dryer from Conn's. The experience in store was fine. Afterwards, with the delivery, not so much.

I probably won't shop there again. Of course, that wasn't the regular store.

I bought the washer & dryer I replaced from Sears, and one was the floor model with a scratch.

kdccrosby

Iceback wrote:Look...this has been the 31rst consecutive day over 100 here( 2nd longest on record btw), the only reason it hasn't been the 37th is beccause on July 1rst it only got to 98. The only this we can do about it is move or b!tch, since I am financially and emotionally tied to this area I am going to continue exercising the only real option I have.
Fun fact- 13 people have died in the Dallas area from the heat so far this summer

y'all have definitely had it worse than us in the temperature dept. this year. colder and hotter!

Iceback

kdccrosby wrote:y'all have definitely had it worse than us in the temperature dept. this year. colder and hotter!

The cold, as much as I hate it, I'm used to.
I usually get a 2 week break in July by going to Canada but no so this year. The oppressive heat just makes everyone crabby.

zea3

Goodnight folks, its been a long day! Thanks for all the dishwasher advice!

Iceback

zea3 wrote:Goodnight folks, its been a long day! Thanks for all the dishwasher advice!

'Night Zea, good luck with the dishwasher hunt and with the life stuff too, it'll all work out with a little time.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

And back. When we were shopping for dishwasher our friend (who is also a dishwasher salesman) said that more expensive doesn't make dishwashers much better, they just get quieter (more insulation). They generally all clean the same once you get out of the cheap ones, so pick the innards arrangement you like and you should be alright in the mid-range.

Beware the V'owls screech!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

All appliances break. No getting around it. Some more than others and cost is no indicator. The best approach is to go with something easy/cheap to repair.
GE fails here, miserably.

Also, Whirlpool owns Roper, Estate, Maytag, Admiral, Speed Queen, Amana, Caloric, Magic Chef, KitchenAid, Jenn Air and others.

Kenmore could be anyone, model numbers tell who: http://www.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml

Price shop here: AJ Madison
They have reviews also.

move along

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Iceback wrote:The only thing we can do about it is move or b!tch

yeah, b!itching about it makes it seem so much cooler!

Iceback

no1 wrote:yeah, b!itching about it makes it seem so much cooler!

yup, venting helps.

Iceback

Good morning all
Another 110 degree day.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! It's 75 on the porch. Come on over and have some coffee.

edit: Zea, I don't remember the warranty info on the dishwasher. Sorry. This is the first time we have bought a dishwasher that wasn't the bottom of the line. We have bought appliances thinking that the less "bells and whistles" the less stuff to break. This one was scratched and dented. Can't see anything from the front.

kdccrosby

Morning all

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Morning.

Can't complain about the weather--it's warm, but not gross...and I'm setting up the humidifier, because inside the house, it's dry. Waking up congested and headachey as a result.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

pooflady

Morning all.
We'll be getting a new furnace and heat pump before long and one of the furnace estimators strongly suggested a humidifier on the furnace. Any opinions?

zea3

pooflady wrote:Morning all.
We'll be getting a new furnace and heat pump before long and one of the furnace estimators strongly suggested a humidifier on the furnace. Any opinions?

Morning all! Sorry Poof, we supply our own humidity down here! Have you had issues with the heater making the house too dry in the past?

pooflady

zea3 wrote:Morning all! Sorry Poof, we supply our own humidity down here! Have you had issues with the heater making the house too dry in the past?

Yes, when the oil kicks in, which is when it gets down in the 20s. Also debating whether to continue with the oil or switch to electric. We have a dehumidifier in the basement that we run during the summer months.

Mavyn

I wish we had a humidifier on our unit. Would be better than having the tanks evaporate so much in the winter.

zea3

pooflady wrote:Yes, when the oil kicks in, which is when it gets down in the 20s. Also debating whether to continue with the oil or switch to electric. We have a dehumidifier in the basement that we run during the summer months.

I guess you need to find out what it would cost to run electric heat vs oil. Is natural gas or propane an option?

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

HI

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Yes, when the oil kicks in, which is when it gets down in the 20s. Also debating whether to continue with the oil or switch to electric. We have a dehumidifier in the basement that we run during the summer months.

Since we are one of the highest cost electric companies in the country, nobody here ever thinks about electric heat.
Although that is what is in the basement and it works great. That is just one room.

Finally, this year, we got the dehumidifier hooked up to the drain.
The first one we had had a bucket that you could take out. I would put a board on the workshop sink and put the dehumidifier on it. It would just drip into the sink.

That only worked on vacation, Hubby uses the sink when we are home.

The last two we got wouldn't do that. The house smelled if we were away for a few days.
I was emptying that bucket about 10 times a week.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady

zea3 wrote:I guess you need to find out what it would cost to run electric heat vs oil. Is natural gas or propane an option?

I have no idea how to find the cost of oil versus electric. And I imagine that that changes frequently just like gas versus electric. But no gas on our street, so that's not an option.

Mavyn

pooflady wrote:I have no idea how to find the cost of oil versus electric. And I imagine that that changes frequently just like gas versus electric. But no gas on our street, so that's not an option.

There should be some information on each heater to indicate how much electricity/oil is uses to heat a specific volume. Look at this, it provides a sample: Sample That's for Nebraska, but you should be able to find something similar for your area.

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

I have no idea of the difference in price between oil and gas and electric any longer. We have a heat pump (electric) for heat and airconditioning. We also have a heat pump for the pool (but it adds about $3 a day in the Spring, so we don't use it). My guess would be that electric exceeds oil and gas, but I honestly do not know.

We have a new news anchor on the local TV station for the area who just moved from Dallas. She went on and on and on about how glad she is to be in Florida! Sympathies to all who are baking wherever you live. Heat here this summer as well as humidity is (no official statistics) just about as usual this year.

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:There should be some information on each heater to indicate how much electricity/oil is uses to heat a specific volume. Look at this, it provides a sample: Sample That's for Nebraska, but you should be able to find something similar for your area.

Our local energy company has something like this but after I enter the information, it's blank. Might have to call them.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:Our local energy company has something like this but after I enter the information, it's blank. Might have to call them.

If it helps, every house I've lived in has electric heat. We have alternatives too (I've had a pellet stove and now a wood stove), but the neighbors had oil at one of the places we lived and it was a lot cheaper, but I think they got a farm rate for the heating oil (renting a farm house). I don't like the electric because it seems so much drier and there is a lot of static from that, but we don't live where it is particularly humid, more humid than where I grew up in the desert, but you can still walk outside here without your hair sticking to your face.

pooflady

Also going to ask about geothermal, although we know nothing about it.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:Also going to ask about geothermal, although we know nothing about it.

I like the idea of geothermal, but according to my dad it can be expensive to get started with. Tried to talk him into it (over electric) when they built their new house and he said it was too expensive.

pooflady

KtCallista wrote:I like the idea of geothermal, but according to my dad it can be expensive to get started with. Tried to talk him into it (over electric) when they built their new house and he said it was too expensive.

Yeah, I have a hunch the cost of the drilling would be prohibitive.