TheAdept


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheAdept
sebborn wrote:The 3.2 is being sent out now. A manual dowload is also available and it does have the SD card support.



I received 3.2 yesterday on my WiFi only Xoom.

s73v3r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages s73v3r
nickmcmahon wrote:You have to look at the other side of things - any units that were test units, or units someone realized they couldnt afford or didnt like have to be sold as refurbished. Although someone might have used it for 5 minutes or 5 days, retailers can sell it as new, so it gets refurbished and resold.



I highly, highly doubt that accounts for how many refurb Xooms there are.

studson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages studson
bloodtalonx wrote:Is there any way to use a tablet device like this to control a PC? I'd love to use it as a remote control for the HTPC or to be able to web surf on the couch while someone's watching TV, but I don't know if I can justify the price for just a mobile browser device.

Also, is the SDHC the only way to expand the memory space? Can devices like this be upgraded (RAM, processor, etc), or is it more complex than popping in new hardware for a desktop PC?

Really new to mobile devices, and I'm still using a non-smart (stupid?) web-enabled cell. This seems like it would be a good venture into something more hi-tech



I know you can with the iPad through an app called Splashtop. I imagine, given the android market is becoming significantly larger that they have comparable apps for the XOOM

moxxee


quality posts: 13 Private Messages moxxee
paigeorose92 wrote:Definitely not, though she lives up to her name. Not sure what moxxee means :P but moxy means fearless, and she's definitely got that going on. A friend of mine does threaten to give her Red Bull but I don't think I could handle that!



Red Bull is too expensive and valuable to give to a dog!

Armagedon


quality posts: 106 Private Messages Armagedon
tigerxchaos wrote:As a matter of fact, I did try the pilot when people started raving about it. I figured there had to be something that appealed to adults, like the recent trend towards embedded adult humor in Pixar movies and so on.

For a kids' show, it's well done and stands above most of the banal filth that's pumped into children these days. But as a well-adjusted adult, who already has a developed sense of "right" and "wrong", it doesn't offer me anything to be particularly interested in.

What you like isn't for me to judge, but it's silly to go obsessing and defending your enjoyment of the show on the internet, because you really shouldn't care about the opinions of the vitriolic basement-dwelling masses that usually inhabit internet forums.



Right and wrong? There's a whole episode about assisting theft. Nevertheless, the woot forums used to be flooded with cats during woot-offs, now the era has moved to ponies!

nickmcmahon


quality posts: 32 Private Messages nickmcmahon
s73v3r wrote:I highly, highly doubt that accounts for how many refurb Xooms there are.



I has a lot to do with it. I know a few people who bought them, had them for a couple weeks then changed they're minds. I have one and love it. I also know that when device testing takes place, some companies deploy hundreds of them...It is justifiable (SP?)

charwoman


quality posts: 9 Private Messages charwoman
bloodtalonx wrote:Is there any way to use a tablet device like this to control a PC? I'd love to use it as a remote control for the HTPC or to be able to web surf on the couch while someone's watching TV, but I don't know if I can justify the price for just a mobile browser device.



There is at least one app that allows you to remote desktop to a windows pc from android:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/remote-desktop-client/com.xtralogic.android.rdpclient

Probably more options out there, maybe even a free one.

lunarparcel


quality posts: 9 Private Messages lunarparcel
nickmcmahon wrote:You have to look at the other side of things - any units that were test units, or units someone realized they couldnt afford or didnt like have to be sold as refurbished. Although someone might have used it for 5 minutes or 5 days, retailers can sell it as new, so it gets refurbished and resold.



Certainly you are correct, but at the same time, it is interesting to note that in the UK market, they not only announced a price reduction for the Xoom just this past week, but they are also selling it with a free keyboard and mouse accessory pack as an extra incentive to purchase the Xoom.

This device is extremely under-perfoming in sales. And it's a shame too, because it's quite nice, and very capable.

BobinPasadena


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobinPasadena
dtpoirot wrote:Ten minutes in and "one bought 1"



Me too.

Cyberscott


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cyberscott

I had talked myself out of this yesterday. Did more research today and thought maybe I should have picked it up.
Saw it on the Woot-off again today and decided to pull the trigger. Hopefully, I won't deal with buyer's remorse.

I have a souped up Alienware mx11 which is good for trips but can be a little bulky and has less battery life. Usually, I don't have time on trips beyond remote bill paying and maybe a few emails so I think the Xoom will work well in most situations. Plus 10 hrs of battery life is about 6 more than the Alienware has which proves more useful when there isn't a readily available power supply.I have a Sprint Overdrive for 3g/4g where I can find it and most coffee shops/restaurants have free wi-fi so internet access shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone who owns one recommend a good case for the Xoom?

martinbogo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages martinbogo
apexjr wrote:Last time I checked, Flipbook is not available on Android. =(



Well, no. But there are plenty of other animation programs out there...

Froggypwns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Froggypwns
Cyberscott wrote:Anyone who owns one recommend a good case for the Xoom?



I don't have a link, but look for the one called Zoo Gue. It is leather, and doubles as a stand. Freaking awesome, but it doesn't protect the corners well.


Also, PONIES PWN! :D
(I <3 Dashie)

jtyson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtyson
jawlz wrote:Want but cannot afford.

Also, would like a new modern tablet that also has an SD card slot (not a micro-SD card slot).



Checkout the Toshiba Thrive.

ricasso


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ricasso
nickmcmahon wrote:I has a lot to do with it. I know a few people who bought them, had them for a couple weeks then changed they're minds. I have one and love it. I also know that when device testing takes place, some companies deploy hundreds of them...It is justifiable (SP?)



I hope that's the case. This is my first "large" refurbished purchase. I usually buy new when it comes to electronics. Anyone out there with a good refurb purchase history?

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
lunarparcel wrote:I had one of these for several days for product review, and I really liked it a lot. it's not perfect by a long shot, but quite nice. I'd probably pull the trigger on this deal if it was $100 cheaper.

But what probably concerns me the most is that, for a relatively new product, there are already so many re-furbished units they are trying so hard to move.

That, and the fact that industry stats indicate that sales are considered abysmal for this product. First quarter manufacturing put in for 800,000 units, with an anticipated 5 million units sold during 1rst year. Unfortunately, they were only able to move between 5 - 15% of those first quarter units with tons more growing moss in stockrooms - and considering this activity on Woot, many of those sold have already been returned for re-furb sales.

Not a very good sign, IMO.



I don't think really any of it has to do with the quality of the product. It more has to do with Motorola having completely pissed off the tech crowd that is the audience. They made a lot of promises on the Xoom that they didn't keep. The features becoming available now with 3.2 were promised at launch as were the features that came with 3.1.

This is also not to mention that Motorola has completely alienated a lot of it's hardcore customer base by locking the bootloaders on all of their phones and by being quite uncooperative with developers. It's a complex issue that really has more to do with a boycott of Motorola than an indictment on the device.

oulzac


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oulzac

I am writhing in anticipation of my shipment!

bashmaki


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bashmaki
oulzac wrote:I am writhing in anticipation of my shipment!




I've not heard a thing about my shipment. Being this is my first woot I'm not sure whats going on. I looked at my account page and it says this:

your order is in.
you're all set now.

Says nothing of whether or not it has been shipped or not.
Any idea's???

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bashmaki wrote:I've not heard a thing about my shipment. Being this is my first woot I'm not sure whats going on. I looked at my account page and it says this:

your order is in.
you're all set now.

Says nothing of whether or not it has been shipped or not.
Any idea's???

Hey there. Welcome to Woot. If you look back at your order confirmation email, you'll see that it says the item will ship out within 5 business days. We don't count the day of the sale since we don't close the sale until midnight. Therefore, it has been one business day. Be patient. Good things come to those that wait.

If you didn't receive your email, check your spam/junk folders. They gobble us up like crazy.



FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dap92620


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dap92620

How do I go about getting service for the Xoom? Who are the carriers? Any service deals?

Thanks

bashmaki


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bashmaki
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey there. Welcome to Woot. If you look back at your order confirmation email, you'll see that it says the item will ship out within 5 business days. We don't count the day of the sale since we don't close the sale until midnight. Therefore, it has been one business day. Be patient. Good things come to those that wait.

If you didn't receive your email, check your spam/junk folders. They gobble us up like crazy.




Thanks staff member

eham93


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eham93

My XOOM arrived today!!!

giveahoot97


quality posts: 0 Private Messages giveahoot97
eham93 wrote:My XOOM arrived today!!!



where do you live?

oulzac


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oulzac

I assume yours was from the sale before, and not the woot-off? And you had overnight shipping?

dap92620


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dap92620
eham93 wrote:My XOOM arrived today!!!



Whaaaaaa? Mine hasn't even shipped yet!

justin8338


quality posts: 0 Private Messages justin8338

I got my Xoom today! The display isn't working correctly! Wait, that's bad. It displays red pixels along the left side and its colors are off, like way off, think windows 16 colors off. Moto says it's a hardware issue, I hope I can get it resolved with woot(emailed the rma) or moto quickly.

eham93


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eham93
giveahoot97 wrote:where do you live?



Houston,TX ......with regular shipping.

jfaulkner8


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfaulkner8

Got mine today. Birmingham, AL

mquinn25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mquinn25
jfaulkner8 wrote:Got mine today. Birmingham, AL



still waiting for mine to ship...so....how is it?

mquinn25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mquinn25
dap92620 wrote:How do I go about getting service for the Xoom? Who are the carriers? Any service deals?

Thanks



This Xoom is the wifi only version...all you need to do is connect it to a wirless router on your current internet service....if you want to use it in the car or on the road...you will have to tether it to a phone that has the ability to create a wifi hotspot. Lots of places have free wifi...likeStarbucks...should be pretty easyto connect.

justsmokeityo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages justsmokeityo

Those who got it already did you even get notification that it had shipped?

Cyberscott


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cyberscott
justin8338 wrote:I got my Xoom today! The display isn't working correctly! Wait, that's bad. It displays red pixels along the left side and its colors are off, like way off, think windows 16 colors off. Moto says it's a hardware issue, I hope I can get it resolved with woot(emailed the rma) or moto quickly.



Dang, that isn't good. One thing that made me buy this refurb was it still has a one year warranty through Motorola. Hopefully you will have a speedy replacement / repair.

Cyberscott


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cyberscott

When I bought the Xoom during the woot-off, I mentally prepared myself for a week and a half to two week wait. I figured five full business days starting on Friday, July 15th and shipping (hopefully) By Thursday, July 21st with an additional 3 to five business days to reach me. Wish woot used Amazon Prime Shipping! :p

dap92620


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dap92620
mquinn25 wrote:This Xoom is the wifi only version...all you need to do is connect it to a wirless router on your current internet service....if you want to use it in the car or on the road...you will have to tether it to a phone that has the ability to create a wifi hotspot. Lots of places have free wifi...likeStarbucks...should be pretty easyto connect.



Great, thank you!

baroquon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages baroquon

I am terribly impatient. I want mine now.

bar - bar - bar - bar - bar-oquon

mquinn25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mquinn25
baroquon wrote:I am terribly impatient. I want mine now.



me too...i am having anticipation anxiety

tonysal30


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonysal30

Got mine today, it's a piece of crap.

Every few minutes it locks up and reboots.

It's going back. So much for refurbished...

oulzac


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oulzac
tonysal30 wrote:Got mine today, it's a piece of crap.

Every few minutes it locks up and reboots.

It's going back. So much for refurbished...



That is not what I want to hear.

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 120 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

This is a message to those of you who ordered this during the Woot-Off on the 14th.

We will not be able to ship these out at this time because Motorola has sent us the incorrect model. We are currently working with them to get the correct one in ASAP and I will be posting here when we get any updates. You can also check the other product forum here for more information (we sold this originally on 7/13). We should be in communication with everyone who has ordered this item, so please hold off on emailing in for right now. I'll be around to post updates as I get them, etc.


oulzac


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oulzac

Dear Motorola,

In the grading system, I would have assigned you all with an "F,". Which, if I had control of the grading system, I would make the lowest grade a "Z" since that is the final letter in the alphabet, which starts with "A" and ends with "Z."

For I am Mojo Jojo, and Mojo Jojo is the one that I am.

lightihawkj


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lightihawkj

I've sent 5 emails since last week to service@woot.com and have gotten no response.

When I placed the order I got a Paypal reciept but nothing else. My woot account doesn't show my purchase and my paypal reciept doesn't show the shipping address, even though I have a verified shipping address in Paypal.

I need some help with this and I really don't feel like twittering to @wootservice!

Woot! is a massive deal robot. Expect no customer service.