WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Unless you're in some place like, um, Seattle, you've probably been dealing with a week full of absolutely scorching heat. But be happy! All that suffering is about to pay off! Because after what you've endured, you're in the right sort of mood to understand Hailey Leithauser's Fever, a swelteringly-good poem from 2009.

As you've come to expect from us cheapskates, we don't have any reprint rights, so we're not posting the poem on our site. We will, however, choose to exercise our fair-use rights and let you know that Fever is stuffed with wonderful word-bits like "the frowsy ruff of owls" and 'corkscrewed sheets of cots" which really capture the feeling of those hot days when your home begins to feel like a stranger's. It's a very nice poem and a short single serving, so head on over and enjoy.

And for those of you who don't care about poetry, we offer this.

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674

Thanks for the alternate link. Made my day extremely better.

Amander

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Amander

That poem made my day better. Look at y'all picking some brand spanking new work! I'm impressed by the selection and the poem itself. This isn't a poet I'm familiar with, so you introduced me to someone new to read...thank you!

(I still have to send you stuff...I'm a jerk...a lazy, poet, jerk.)

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Amander wrote:I'm impressed by the selection and the poem itself.

Tell your poet friends! We'd love to class up the joint.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

tanios

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tanios

If you think poets would bring class to Woot, you should ask yourself first: what class do you think they'll bring? Sure they can probably pass English with fair grades (way to be the teacher's pet with your alliteration, secondary metaphors, and iambic pentameter all juxtaposing the angst of the teenage years with the ennui of a forlorn middle age), but throw them into a math or science class where you can't just make up words to justify your answer and I think you'll find them wanting. I for one prefer my cold, rational logic. And when I want poetry, I'll look for this sort of thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

Amander

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Amander

[quote/]but throw them into a math or science class where you can't just make up words to justify your answer and I think you'll find them wanting. I for one prefer my cold, rational logic. And when I want poetry, I'll look for this sort of thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U[/quote]

Not every poet is a flowery emotional suck up and a lot of us even failed some English classes because we were contrary jerks rather than teacher's pets. I happen to love the "cold rational logic" of science and math (and even symbolic logic...oh, how I love symbolic logic). There are a lot of good, smart, scientific poems and poets in the world. Plus seriously, M-theory and poetry is like peanutbutter in my chocolate.

S.Lydon...my poet pals aren't very classy, and I already yell at them about woot! I'm all, "look at my watch, I got it for a dollar, sucka!" Thants woot! for making my poetry-poverty dollars stretch further.

theracoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theracoon

Cool otter video...literally.

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
tanios wrote:(way to be the teacher's pet with your alliteration, secondary metaphors, and iambic pentameter all juxtaposing the angst of the teenage years with the ennui of a forlorn middle age)

Whoa. This comment sent me into ennui. Sigh.

Great poem, makes me want to crawl back into bed with the ceiling fan on jet engine high.