Jason Toon


quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

With all that unpleasantness over in London, how are Britons forgetting their troubles? According to the "Movers and Shakers" chart for the Sports & Leisure department at amazon.co.uk, they're taking up baseball.

 

nivekious


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nivekious

It's entirely possible that those bats are being used for something other than playing baseball considering aforementioned unpleasantness.

macraig


quality posts: 7 Private Messages macraig

What, no whiffle ball bats? I wonder why not?

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
nivekious wrote:It's entirely possible that those bats are being used for something other than playing baseball considering aforementioned unpleasantness.



Given what's shot up the charts between them, I'd say you've hit that on the head.

Jason Toon


quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
Darquis wrote:Given what's shot up the charts between them, I'd say you've hit that on the head.



What, you guys have never heard of tonfaball?

wabwab


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wabwab

There aren't enough criminal thugs in London to drive up sales like this. This is an unintended consequence of gun control: The citizens of London are unable to own a gun to protect themselves and they've realized that law enforcement arrives just in time to fill out a report and far too late to be of real assistance. So, what can you keep under your bed just in case... apparently a baseball bat is the best they can do.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

and, since the thugs don't have guns either in Britain, the baseball bats probably work pretty well as a deterrent to getting attacked.

craigthom


quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom

The police baton has risen to number one but has apparently been pulled.

blazersguy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages blazersguy
craigthom wrote:The police baton has risen to number one but has apparently been pulled.



Yeah, I imagine Amazon has to be going through a bit of a moral quandary on whether to sell weapons (that are not explicitly offensive or defensive) into a state with such riots. You could liken selling baseball bats to London with selling machetes to Sudan.

llandar


quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
wabwab wrote:There aren't enough criminal thugs in London to drive up sales like this. This is an unintended consequence of gun control: The citizens of London are unable to own a gun to protect themselves and they've realized that law enforcement arrives just in time to fill out a report and far too late to be of real assistance. So, what can you keep under your bed just in case... apparently a baseball bat is the best they can do.



Yes! If only those poor Brits had enough guns to properly menace each other. Then everything would be just fine and their violent crime would be as low as ours here in America.

jbwhite99


quality posts: 3 Private Messages jbwhite99

forget a baseball bat - I would think a properly placed blow with a cricket bat would do some damage as well, and most households already have those around.

The only person to have broken a cricket bat in a match (or so the legend goes) is some guy named George Herman Ruth (aka the Babe)

OK Woot, step it up - I've only bought 2 things in the last 13 months

zak1ap


quality posts: 2 Private Messages zak1ap

Too bad they couldn't buy the SOG tools from Woot.

Ewheezy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ewheezy
llandar wrote:Yes! If only those poor Brits had enough guns to properly menace each other. Then everything would be just fine and their violent crime would be as low as ours here in America.



Gun control does not effect violent crime, you can do some research and look into this and see that many countries that allow citizens to possess guns in numbers similar to the united states also have less gun related violence, and many countries with little or no gun possession to private citizens often have a higher violent crime rate. In a world without guns watch the stabbing rate climb such as the recent string of knife attacks in China. It doesn't matter if people have guns or not, people who are not happy and don't see a way to better their situations through legitimate reasons will turn to violent crime. Do some research before you say america's violent crime is a result of gun ownership. Also more often than not gun violence is not committed by people who are lawful gun owners. Then there's the old adage if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvinco.html

crapface


quality posts: 3 Private Messages crapface
llandar wrote:Yes! If only those poor Brits had enough guns to properly menace each other. Then everything would be just fine and their violent crime would be as low as ours here in America.



I'd take facing a thug with a gun over a bat any day if I was equally armed. I only weigh in at 120 lbs, but I can shoot a full mag in rapid succession for a 6" group at 15 yards with any of my pistols. When it's me and my family's safety at risk, I'd like the scales tipped in my favor, thank you!

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Really, before (whoops! too late!) anyone advocates escalation of violence-delivery apparatus possession to countries with different social mores and cultural values from the U.S.'s ("what is complexly somewhat applicable--and applied!--in one place is certainly not easily so in a different place, much less at all, because different places are different." - Prof. Duhmeister in IR 101: Things are Complicated), consider this: if Brits were allowed guns, then Britain would soon lose its exalted status as Knifecrime Island. And then where would we be? WITHOUT JOKES, that's where. Really, how pedestrian does "Guncrime Island" sound? Ugh, I was falling asleep just typing it. The entire Earth is a Guncrime Island already! So not cool, dudes. Not cool at all.