nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy
theermine wrote:Same here.. Dead..

Support was atrocious to say the least.. After a MONTH going back and forth with them they finally replaced it.

If you want this thing to work with your land line though, be prepared for disappointment. The only reason I still have it hooked up is because I paid for a year of premier. It'll be chucked after that's up.. If the hardware makes it that long.

Tne only negative I can think of.....It uses of one of my 4 main trunks of my router .....(not much of a negative)

I have 16 other devices running off of my network on the other 3 trunks with switches for the wires portion and obviously random wireless devices (6 or 7 of those)

My point is.....This does not need a lot of bandwidth from a descent cable modem service/feed.....

In the $3 to $4 range as others have said.....and this is "stereo" not mono like a regular phone.....Buy yourself one of those new phone systems and you will love the clarity on a good call....You can tell the people on a bad call that they have a $hitty phone line and they should get Ooma.....

Now I do not do this lightly....

This is probably the single best product I have ever bought on Woot....It saves you about $500 a year on regular VOIP cable modem phone service or a regular land line and about $300 over Vonage.....

This is such an easy deal....and the setup for the "Neophyte" is not very difficult....OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PWNIES OMGs....stay away....

margav

quality posts: 2 Private Messages margav

Picked this up the last time it was here and couldn't be happier. Outstanding voice clarity, no buzzing, static or hum. Kept my original number which only took 1 week to port.
Very easy to set-up...I chose to do the whole house set-up and have my original answering machine pick-up the calls. Works flawlessly. My monthly phone bill was $68 - say good bye to that crap! Recommended purchase.

TCayer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TCayer

I bought this last time it was on woot! My plan was to drop the cable phone from my package. I'm really happy with the call quality. I liked the premium service, but didn't go for it after the free trial ended. I pay $3.47 per month in taxes for phone service. The only difference I can tell from my old service is 1- the dial tone is unique, and 2- there seems to be a slight delay which I noticed when I called myself using my cell. It doesn't affect normal calls. Definitely worth the money!

jchirich

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jchirich
stevenlee212 wrote:This may be a off-beat question , but why would anyone really need a home telephone if everyone in the household has a cell phone ?? The only calls i get at home are from people just trying to sell me great deals etc.....

I need a home (junk) phone # so I don't get all of those calls offering you great deals on you cell phone. I use my home phone for businesses ect. so I don't have to deal with them. Plus its great not having to worry about long distance minutes on ooma as its all free.

mlitherland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlitherland

I bought this on a previous wooting and still haven't hooked it up. I need more hours in a day. Woot, when are you going to have a sale on that?

vaughan100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vaughan100
stevenlee212 wrote:This may be a off-beat question , but why would anyone really need a home telephone if everyone in the household has a cell phone ?? The only calls i get at home are from people just trying to sell me great deals etc.....

4 reasons for me:
1. My kids are old enough to be alone for a few minutes here and there but I'm not getting them a cell phone yet. I want them to be able to call me or 911.
2. I can't hear my cell phone if I'm upstairs & the phone is downstairs. If it's a kid or someone from their school calling me I want to know about it.
3. If I am having a heart attack I would more likley be able to get to one of my 3 home phone sets than to go looking for wherever I happened to have put my cell phone.
4. I need to fax papers on a regualr basis.

UTBrandon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UTBrandon

Guess you haven't tried Magic Jack Plus Yet?
No Computer Required. Plugs into ethernet just like this device but no monthly fee last time I checked.

[quote postid="4586706" user="quantamm"]This *is not* like MagicJack where you need a computer or they are sending you ads.

nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy
colbytitus wrote:This is an unnecessary piece of equipment if you have a PC. I have a Magic Jack and it is as clear as can be, $20 a year, free LD, VM, 411 etc. It still works when the PC is in power-save.

If you tried MJ and it was "choppy", "dropping calls" etc - that is your PCs issue, you've got an old PC or too much running in the back ground.

I was in the computer industry (20 years) as an engineer in the development and approval of products like magic jack (so they could be sold in our build to order systems)....Have moved on to something else now.....

I have a little experience testing "like" products.....

MAGIC JACK IS A POS!

susanlahaie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages susanlahaie

Is there any way to disable the "call waiting" feature? I just can't stand "call waiting"

nontypical

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nontypical

We bought one of these last time they were on Woot and found out that our telephone number that we have had for 30 years is not portable and cannot be used and after searching over an hour the nearest number I could get was 100 miles away in a different state. Wife said that was not acceptable.

dextermeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dextermeth

I dunno if we can message each other with these forums, but I have this same Ooma from the last woot and cannot use it because of our alarm system. It's still sealed in the original woot packaging.

Just let me know and I'll sell it for a lot cheaper, $75 shipped.

If this post is breaking the rules I'm sorry!

jmzombro

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jmzombro

Ooma is fantastic. I've been using 3 (hubs)for about 4 years so I don't have to pay the reg fees. Easy to use. This price though isn't so great. $180 with 2 yr square trade warranty. Warehouse club $220 with 2 year warranty (and 'lifetime' satisfaction guarantee) plus handset plus bluetooth adapter.
Drop your landline!!!!

svvisco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages svvisco

Can you use your existing landline phone number with this system?

angryreddwarf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angryreddwarf
vanevenhoven wrote:We've had this for months. We pay less than $4 / month and have recommended this to four friends who each thank us often. This is a no-brainer, if you're considering it, buy it.

It's cool, and people will like you more.

how much is the activation fee

Syndil

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Syndil
tracydr wrote:Question?

Why are some of you people (not you necessarily!) on the OOMA thread trying to "sell" obi? If you have something to say about OOMA...then say it, otherwise stop trying to "sell" another product!!

I guess you prefer to make purchases blindfolded, rather than making the most informed decision possible?

Obi is being mentioned because it provides a very similar service for much less money. That may very well be why Ooma is selling its stuff on woot.com today--they could be feeling the pressure from Obi.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

Isn't this basically a Magic Jack with a large footprint?

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

jimmyjayjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimmyjayjr

I have my ooma for a year, got a bad one and they replaced it, no hassel. Super phone. I had DSL only at my office. so it cost me zip to add this. always on. I use a battery backup to power the ooma and modem if the lights go out, so I still have a laptop and ooma that will work.
Pretty easy to hook up, and it is a one time expense $139 plus the 3 or 4 bucks a month for taxes. the primer service is good also if you need more toys on it.
I think I only read one negitive report on this item. how could anyone not like it?

Sarisin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sarisin

I was fortunate to get in early buying an OOMA Hub (never used the Scout) about three years ago. I don't have to pay the taxes. Also, they had a promotion where you could buy the Premiere Service lifetime for about $100. So mine is free and it has worked great for me.

Two concerns though:

1. I have no landline and am using a Verizon dry loop line. They tell me I can only get their slowest DSL service. FIOS not available in my condo, so I miss a faster internet connection with the dry loop.

2. I have been told the OOMA might not work with 911 services. Thankfully, I have never had to test it out, but it would be nice to know it will work if you need it. Anyone every try 911 with an OOMA?

brodie657

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brodie657

Ooma is the real deal! Probably the single smartest purchase I have made in the last 3 years. The call quality is outstanding and the uptime is amazing. I have already made back my money in the 12 months I have owned it since dumping my landline. If you are on the fence and have some spare cash, it is worth the investment.

The only criticism I have is for the company's business model - the product itself is top-notch. It sort of concerns me that most of their operating income comes from the upfront purchase of your box. They are really pushing the premier services, so hopefully that brings in more income and keeps them solvent for a long time to come!

poser55

quality posts: 2 Private Messages poser55

I use the Nettalk duo. It plugs into my router (or computer if I'm traveling) and costs $30 a year after the $70 initial cost (which covers the first year as well).

As far as I can tell, it is cheaper and has more features than Ooma. It is about the size of a cell phone and uses very little power. I've had no quality issues other than occasionally unplugging and replugging to reset the device.

I tried Magic Jack, but you need to have a computer running for it to work. The Magic Jack quality wasn't very good either.

brodie657

svvisco wrote:Can you use your existing landline phone number with this system?

Yes you can port it for about $40 or so (one-time fee). I think it takes about 3-4 weeks to do it. However if you sign up for their premier service for some period of time, they waive that fee.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich
KarenMarie wrote:Considering I saw one of the first Ramone's performances, I really laughed at that.

You post was very much appreciated. Very funny.

Hee hee! I actually spent quite a bit of time trying to pick just the right moment in history. Woodstock? Too early. Metallica? Just a shade too late.

Def Leppard? U2? Ehhh.... Blondie? Devo? I KNOW! The Ramones!

-- Ed

RBBrittain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RBBrittain
sdc100 wrote:
2) If you go though AT&T's landline, your voice is transmitted as an analog signal. If you go through the Internet, your voice is converted to a bunch of digital blips first (sounding like a fax machine), and then converted back to voice at some central location before it reaches the other person. If you look at your RJ11 phone jack, you'll see 4 (or 6) colored wires. Only 2 are used for voice. The other two are normally unused -- unless you have DSL. The DSL digital signals travel through these unused wires. And that's how AT&T will know if you're calling through a normal landline or through the Internet (i.e. Ooma). Actually, the only thing it'll know is whether it's a landline call, in which case it'll charge you. A call through the Internet isn't really differentiated by AT&T from any other digital data. For example, it couldn't care less whether the data is carrying a YouTube video or iTunes music or an Ooma call.

So the short answer to your question is that a normal landline call is detected through the two analog voice wires. Internet calls, like all Internet data, travels through two different wires.

DSL is *not* two separate wires, unless your installer set it up that way; it's transmitted as a higher frequency on the same two wires as the voice line. (That includes U-verse, which is just a more advanced form of DSL--except in newly-built neighborhoods where they use FTTH.) That's why *most* DSL installs require every phone device *except* the DSL modem to be connected to a filter; without the filters you'd hear the DSL signal as a high-pitched noise (and your DSL connection would go crazy every time you picked up the phone).

Some DSL installs *may* use two of the four unused wires in the home; but that's only because your installer split the one incoming line--probably at the NID (network interface device) outside your home--then slapped a master filter on the POTS (plain old telephone service) side using line 1 and put the DSL modem jack on line 2. That's similar to some DSL installs with alarm systems (the DSL side gets its own "home run wire" on the telco side of the alarm system so the system can seize the POTS side only) and most U-verse installs (the DSL side connects to your in-home cable wiring instead).

Nonetheless, AT&T (or any other telco) does set up POTS & DSL as two separate services; they're separated again somewhere between your home and the central office. (That's why you can buy "naked DSL".) The POTS side never sees VoIP calls, and vice versa, because the VoIP device (i.e., Ooma) converts the in-home voice signal to data and sends it out on the DSL side. (So does U-verse Voice, but AT&T dedicates a small portion of the U-verse DSL signal to that data stream alone, separate from Internet and IPTV data.)

(Edit: If you buy DSL from a third-party supplier, sometimes they lease a dedicated phone line from the telco for their DSL signal. Most DSL installs, however, use the same phone line as POTS.)

kks930

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kks930

We've had this for several months and have been very happy with the savings. We had vonage for 5 or 6 years. We liked them too, but the savings is great, with Ooma. Now, could someone come up with a savings like this on electricity?

Karla Stimach

mpendergast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpendergast

Anyone know if Ooma is going to charge an activation fee?

FCRay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FCRay
aferg1 wrote:First line of Amazon's description:

"Works with Google Voice for FREE calls to the USA and Canada to 2012 - Great international rates too!"

What happens after (or during) 2012 - does the Obi110 become obsolete or un-updatable?

Google Voice has stated their service is free until 2012. After that, they may start charging, or they may not. Google voice is optional, you don't have to have it to make calls, but you can sign up for it to make FREE calls. last year Google said it was free until 2011, but they extended it. So they may do that again.

FCRay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FCRay
aferg1 wrote:First line of Amazon's description:

"Works with Google Voice for FREE calls to the USA and Canada to 2012 - Great international rates too!"

What happens after (or during) 2012 - does the Obi110 become obsolete or un-updatable?

Google Voice has stated their service is free until 2012. After that, they may start charging, or they may not. Google voice is optional, you don't have to have it to make calls, but you can sign up for it to make FREE calls. last year Google said it was free until 2011, but they extended it. So they may do that again.

dheyn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dheyn

I am saving over $78 a month with Ooma and the service is flawless. The ability to login to my account from anywhere and see call history, access voice mail, call forwarding to my cell and call blocking are very nice features.

beekay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beekay

is it possible to have more than one phone number on a single Ooma devices? If not, can another Ooma be used to add an additional phone number?

brodie657

mpendergast wrote:Anyone know if Ooma is going to charge an activation fee?

They don't currently as long as you don't need to port your current number over.

klandon61

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klandon61

Just my two cents about MagicJack. Have had it for over two years. Run it on a thin client and it works great. Voice mail is sent to email for free. MagicJack Plus has not been released yet, as far as I know, but looks to be similar to Ooma but much cheaper.

elldee

quality posts: 4 Private Messages elldee

earthquakes, serious power outages/disruption. best bet for communication with outside world would be the landline.

RAMARAL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RAMARAL

Does VOIP works outside US Territory? What would be my telephone # ?

i24u

quality posts: 16 Private Messages i24u

If I were to get bluetooth adapter could i make calls at home using cell phone and not get charged minutes? Or pick up my cell phone instead of the house phone and not get charged minutes?

brettuf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brettuf

Anyone care to wager a guess at why there is such a plentiful supply of REFURBISHED Ooma devices to supply these repeated woot offerings? QC issues? From the comments here, there are a couple of people that had issues with devices purchased in previous woots, but not an overwhelming number. I'm in for one, but with some skepticism.

j0hnlind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j0hnlind

We bought the Ooma Hub (a cheaper, older unit) some months back and have been very happy with it. We eventually decided to pay the $40 to have our local phone number ported to it. We pay $3.47 a month.

The only time voice quality seems to be affected is if I am doing a heavy download on my computer.

I have used customer support a couple of times and they were helpful in my experience. In fact, one of the contacts was when I noticed on my cc bill that they were charging me the $10 a month for (cancelled) premier service. They refunded my money no questions asked. It was amazing.

emzzmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emzzmom

i just hook my fax machine to a splitter in the back of the ooma and have had no problems

i24u

quality posts: 16 Private Messages i24u

All this talk to why people even need a home phone anymore is crazy? Why would people spend over $50 a month for a cell phone. Let's see when your at work chances are there is a phone nearby you could use and with everyone having free long distance anymore chances are you can use it. When you get home and have something like this you don't need cell phone then. If you go to a movie why would you need a phone. I mean I have a cell phone for emerengcy but it's prepaid and pay $5 a month for the thing. I have friends with kids that are spending over $100 a month and I find that more crazy then people not having home phones at all.

protoclown2k

quality posts: 1 Private Messages protoclown2k

Vonage started out pretty good, but they are now almost as expensive as what I used to pay Verizon for local phone. I've heard lots of good things about Ooma and I missed out on the last Woot that featured this, so I'm glad it came around again.

longsa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longsa

Never heard of this system and wants to know what is the monthly cost of the service.
does this mean you drop your land line and pick up whatever telephone service that the system has?