talljim


quality posts: 0 Private Messages talljim

Bought and set up my Ooma about a month ago, but paid $200 for it at Fry's! Grrrr! I set it up and ported my phone number to it (that costs $40) but it works great. I am firing my home phone company today and saving about $35 every month. It pays for itself in no time!

eperry1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eperry1

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did not see the answer anywhere.

Is it WIFI or do u need a direct lan connection?

Klever


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Klever

Will this work with my current alarm system that uses my landline to communicate with the monitoring center?

devilshopper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages devilshopper

We bought Ooma so we could talk to our Oma. Well and so that my daughter had 911 access if we were not home because she has this tendency towards losing and breaking and drowning of cellular technology.

buzzwang


quality posts: 10 Private Messages buzzwang

For those that are wondering...

I switched to Vonage some years back because of the ridiculous pricing my local phone company switched to. Vonage was about half the price (basic service, 500 minutes a month).

I switched to Ooma just a year and a half back. I bought the Ooma Hub and a Scout (expansion module) from Woot (thanks!) and haven't looked back. I pay $3.47 a month for my service, plus $9.99 a month for the Premiere package since I have two phone lines.

I just switched to a yearly payment on the extra package ($99) but before that my monthly bill was $13 and change, still less than what I was paying Vonage for 2 lines (was $24 each I think).

Call quality is good and clear, no complaints from my wife or people that call us. I recently purchased 2 more Scout modules so I can expand the system a bit better. The main house phone (Line 1) rings to the Hub which is upstairs in my house and also to 2 of the Scouts - one in the basement family room and the other in the garage/workshop. The third Scout is configured for the second line (Line 2) and rings in my home office.

The reason I got the additional Scouts is that, unlike Vonage, the Hub and Scouts (and the Telo FYI) have a visual indication of voicemail, and they function just like an answering machine: push the Play button and listen to your voicemail, delete it, rewind/FF, and also one button Do Not Distrub functionality all without picking up a handset. The extra scouts just make things more convienent, and since I got one extra as a refurb for $20 and the second extra free for switching to yearly billing on the Premiere package there was no reason not to get them. I'll probably end up taking the Scout from the workshop and putting it on a shelf as a backup unit as it doesn't get used all that often, but only time will tell.

Regardless, the Telo functions in a similar fashion, just without the expansion module like a Scout. Instead (if memory serves) you can get additional cordless handsets to go with it and you end up with the same functionality.

In my mind, there is a 100% feature comparison between Vonage and Ooma. Both have websites where you can access voicemail and settings, both do call forwarding and such and everything, but for me the Hub and Scout combo can't be beat since it is so much easier to seperate out phone lines based on function and such.

I'm on Ooma and I'm not gonna leave unless I can find something even cheaper (which currently is highly unlikely).

The Hub and Scout are now becoming a discontinued item, but you can still them them in online stores and eBay both new and used for cheap. Still the Telo unit is hard to beat with the built-in cordless phone functions.

These units sit on a wired network connection, and even weak broadband speeds (384K Express service from Comcast cable) work great. I haven't dropped a call yet, no one has had a problem calling me, and when my cable is out (and Internet along with it) Ooma is setup to automatically forward to a cell phone instead (just like Vonage does). I love it, all of it.

kchoschton


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kchoschton

Forgive my ignorance, but the only reason I have a landline is to get DSL Internet service. Is there a way to get it without a landline? I know about Verizon and Clear, but neither are available in my area - North Georgia. I would love to hear options from Wooters.

zeta30


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeta30

I picked one up the last time it was on Woot and have been happy with it. I was paying over $60/month just for basic phone service so the device has paid for itself in just a few months months.

The call quality is very good. I like the fact that you can set up your contacts on your Ooma home page so you don't have to sit with your phone and input each one through the phone keypad.

buzzwang


quality posts: 10 Private Messages buzzwang
kchoschton wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but the only reason I have a landline is to get DSL Internet service. Is there a way to get it without a landline? I know about Verizon and Clear, but neither are available in my area - North Georgia. I would love to hear options from Wooters.



Many phone companies and local LEC's offer DSL service without a dial tone (SDSL vs. ADSL). Just give them a call and ask. Alternately, you could keep that line and use it as a backup for when your DSL goes out (Ooma hardware allows for haviong a dedicated backup line).

Either way, if your phone company won't do that, then get the absolute most basic phone line they have with your DSL. Many companies still charge extra for touch tone service and stuff. Give them a call and see what your options are. But remember, any VoIP phone service requires an Internet connection to function. If you have a power outage and don't have a UPS/s or alternate power, your Internet will go out along with the Telo or Hub or whatever VoIP device you have with your service.

I've got a little APC UPS on my router and little network switch in the basement, and another larger one on my home theater setup cause I gotta keep my Tivo running. I connected my Ooma Hub and cordless phone to that, and it all runs for hours when the power fails. Of course, with Comcast in my area, when the power goes out in the neighborhood the cable usually goes out half the time too.

longsa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages longsa

so if I have cable and no local phone service, does that make do?

buzzwang


quality posts: 10 Private Messages buzzwang
buzzwang wrote:For those that are wondering...

I switched to Vonage some years back because of the ridiculous pricing my local phone company switched to. Vonage was about half the price (basic service, 500 minutes a month).

I switched to Ooma just a year and a half back. I bought the Ooma Hub and a Scout (expansion module) from Woot (thanks!) and haven't looked back. I pay $3.47 a month for my service, plus $9.99 a month for the Premiere package since I have two phone lines.

I just switched to a yearly payment on the extra package ($99) but before that my monthly bill was $13 and change, still less than what I was paying Vonage for 2 lines (was $24 each I think).

Call quality is good and clear, no complaints from my wife or people that call us. I recently purchased 2 more Scout modules so I can expand the system a bit better. The main house phone (Line 1) rings to the Hub which is upstairs in my house and also to 2 of the Scouts - one in the basement family room and the other in the garage/workshop. The third Scout is configured for the second line (Line 2) and rings in my home office.

The reason I got the additional Scouts is that, unlike Vonage, the Hub and Scouts (and the Telo FYI) have a visual indication of voicemail, and they function just like an answering machine: push the Play button and listen to your voicemail, delete it, rewind/FF, and also one button Do Not Distrub functionality all without picking up a handset. The extra scouts just make things more convienent, and since I got one extra as a refurb for $20 and the second extra free for switching to yearly billing on the Premiere package there was no reason not to get them. I'll probably end up taking the Scout from the workshop and putting it on a shelf as a backup unit as it doesn't get used all that often, but only time will tell.

Regardless, the Telo functions in a similar fashion, just without the expansion module like a Scout. Instead (if memory serves) you can get additional cordless handsets to go with it and you end up with the same functionality.

In my mind, there is a 100% feature comparison between Vonage and Ooma. Both have websites where you can access voicemail and settings, both do call forwarding and such and everything, but for me the Hub and Scout combo can't be beat since it is so much easier to seperate out phone lines based on function and such.

I'm on Ooma and I'm not gonna leave unless I can find something even cheaper (which currently is highly unlikely).

The Hub and Scout are now becoming a discontinued item, but you can still them them in online stores and eBay both new and used for cheap. Still the Telo unit is hard to beat with the built-in cordless phone functions.

These units sit on a wired network connection, and even weak broadband speeds (384K Express service from Comcast cable) work great. I haven't dropped a call yet, no one has had a problem calling me, and when my cable is out (and Internet along with it) Ooma is setup to automatically forward to a cell phone instead (just like Vonage does). I love it, all of it.



I forgot to mention: recently I sold my old house and am in the process of buying a new one. It's a long story but we were forced out of the old house before the new house was purchased, so we're staying with other family in the area for a little while. They have broadband Internet that we can use, but they didn't want me running cables around the house to connect up all my stuff. I ended up getting a D-Link wireless bridge. I connects to my wireless router hiding in their basement, and provides 4 10/100/1G network ports on the back. I currently have one computer (all we could fit in the space provided), Ooma, Tivo and Blu-ray player plugged into it. My wife was playing Facebook games on the computer, Tivo was doing a network connection to get updated info, and the phone rang (my mother). No issues with any of that network traffic running over 802.11N wifi.

jm2000


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jm2000

I was told by Ooma if you buy a refurbished unit from an authorized Ooma seller you get a 1 yr warrenty on it. Why only 180 days warrenty from Woot?

woottoady


quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
eperry1 wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did not see the answer anywhere.

Is it WIFI or do u need a direct lan connection?

Direct Lan

buzzwang


quality posts: 10 Private Messages buzzwang
longsa wrote:so if I have cable and no local phone service, does that make do?



Hell yeah! Ooma can run over your cable Internet, and voila! You have local phone service!

xrobevansx


quality posts: 1 Private Messages xrobevansx
KarenMarie wrote:Please be patient with me...

My husband is pissed off bcuz he cannot call our kids or grandkids in the UK...

Will someone please tell me how this will work for me and why I want this one?

I would really appreciate it.

thank you!!



Buy them one as well as for yourself. The call will be "local" and cost nothing.

xrobevansx


quality posts: 1 Private Messages xrobevansx
longsa wrote:so if I have cable and no local phone service, does that make do?



yes.

gnarf


quality posts: 20 Private Messages gnarf

Yes you can, But it will cost extra, either $10/month for 1000 minutes or you can pay per minute at 3 cents/min. so If you talk more than 333 minutes a month the plan is the better deal.

The only time I've used my long distance minutes is to my folks when they were in South Africa, there was the typical 1-2 second delay but the quality wasn't too bad considering. I would guess that calling the UK should be better than SA as the infrastructure ought to be better. But local quality is top notch and I've never had any problems with my ooma, and for how little we use it paying more than $3.14/mo for a house phone wasn't worth it, but ooma is well worth the purchase. The plunge is scary but after the initial sticker shock you'll love your ooma like most everyone that has one.

One final thing setup can be tricky, when I did it, they didn't have any local phone numbers for me, and their website wouldn't list applicable area codes so I had to call their tech support, which wasn't a problem I just wish their website setup was a little better.

KarenMarie wrote:

My daughter and grandchildren live in the UK, we in the USA. We tried Skype and it was awful. *AWFUL* We looked at Vonage and it would have cost us almost as much as having the land line.

My husband is pissed off bcuz he cannot call our kids or grandkids in the UK...

Will someone please tell me how this will work for me and why I want this one?

I would really appreciate it.

thank you!!



woottoady


quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
Klever wrote:Will this work with my current alarm system that uses my landline to communicate with the monitoring center?

It should if your alarm system conforms to std touch tone. With the Telo you can use your landline wiring for std phone equipment as long as you disconnect the telco connection at the connection box.

sweethavenfarm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweethavenfarm

what type of internet connection is required ?
(I understand high speed) But, I mean cable or
satellite? Some people get a high speed connection via a filtered/split landline.
That would make it kind of hard to drop your phone service

btrout7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages btrout7

Looks like a good price but I've never bought a refurbished product. Does soot stand behind these units?

stshores


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stshores

I have had the original ooma for about 2 years and it works great. Check their FAQ for tips on faxing. My HP All-in-One works fine; only thing i have to do to send a fax is prefix the number with *99.

kchoschton


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kchoschton
buzzwang wrote:Many phone companies and local LEC's offer DSL service without a dial tone (SDSL vs. ADSL). Just give them a call and ask. Alternately, you could keep that line and use it as a backup for when your DSL goes out (Ooma hardware allows for haviong a dedicated backup line).

Either way, if your phone company won't do that, then get the absolute most basic phone line they have with your DSL. Many companies still charge extra for touch tone service and stuff. Give them a call and see what your options are. But remember, any VoIP phone service requires an Internet connection to function. If you have a power outage and don't have a UPS/s or alternate power, your Internet will go out along with the Telo or Hub or whatever VoIP device you have with your service.

I've got a little APC UPS on my router and little network switch in the basement, and another larger one on my home theater setup cause I gotta keep my Tivo running. I connected my Ooma Hub and cordless phone to that, and it all runs for hours when the power fails. Of course, with Comcast in my area, when the power goes out in the neighborhood the cable usually goes out half the time too.



Thank you!

woottoady


quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
longsa wrote:so if I have cable and no local phone service, does that make do?

Cable broadband and a power source is all that is required. Of course you have to have a phone (or a Google voice line).

Hemo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Hemo
rangerlg wrote:Try dialing *99 and then the number. I fax all the time on my Hub. May have to insert a pause between *99 and the number.



I have the Telo for over a year and to date have not been able to fax out. Faxing is a hit and miss type of thing. If it works for you, great, if it doesn't.. there isn't any support from Ooma other than the FAQ and forums online.

I've done the tips and tricks, attached Telo before my router, after my router, dialed *99 with multiple pauses, disabled error correction on my fax, adjusted and even disabled uplink QOS.. what else.. stood on one leg.. you name it. Faxing out for me just doesn't work.

Now.. that doesn't mean faxing doesn't work, as I've read from many people it just works for them right out of the box with no issues. Go figure.

Other than that, voice quality and the savings are freaking awesome. Even with paying PamFax for faxing out capability I save over $300 annually compared to the line line subscription.

woottoady


quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
sweethavenfarm wrote:what type of internet connection is required ?
(I understand high speed) But, I mean cable or
satellite?

Either. You need a broadband modem with LAN output.

satyenshah


quality posts: 8 Private Messages satyenshah
Klever wrote:Will this work with my current alarm system that uses my landline to communicate with the monitoring center?



It's iffy. I tried configuring Ooma to work with a fax server (Audiocodes MP-114) and security alarm system (not sure the model) and both failed miserably. Even with faxmode enabled on the Ooma and baud set to 300bps, I could never get either to work.

The problem is that V.34 and other data/fax standards are extremely sensitive to latency and jitter, which is problematic with VoIP. It probably depends a lot on the make/model of your alarm system and fax machine, with some being more forgiving than others.

It would be killer if Ooma could bundle an efax service with Premier, or embed a fax relay inside the Telo.

btrout7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages btrout7

I currently have my voice abc via Comcast and pt 48 bucks a month. Can I plug my phone into the lima and be able to use all the phones that are currently operable in my house in I have5phones

mlpuckett


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlpuckett
KarenMarie wrote:Please be patient with me...

I had verizon for $40 per month +tax and etc.
I had IDT for long distance $7 +tax and etc.

My phone never rang - except for telemarketers occasionally. So, I canceled it.

My daughter and grandchildren live in the UK, we in the USA. We tried Skype and it was awful. *AWFUL* We looked at Vonage and it would have cost us almost as much as having the land line.

My husband is pissed off bcuz he cannot call our kids or grandkids in the UK...

Will someone please tell me how this will work for me and why I want this one?

I would really appreciate it.

thank you!!



Buy one and give it to your kids, have them choose a US number that is local to you, then all of your calls to them will be free.

I have a Telo and absolutely love it. Bought it on Woot about a year ago. Ported my number for free with the purchase of 1 year of Premier, which I ind useful. The box works like an answering machine, but has all the features of voicemail and remote access. I have a copy of my messages emailed to me, so I never miss a call. I have the iPhone app that lets me make calls from my home number anywhere I have WiFi access - even overseas. I bought a refurb handset, which lets me access the second number while the first is in use. 911 works and is actually improved - it can be set to send an email notification when someone dials 911, alerting me to a problem at home. In a word - get it!

agemineye


quality posts: 1 Private Messages agemineye
tracydr wrote:Question?

Why are some of you people (not you necessarily!) on the OOMA thread trying to "sell" obi? If you have something to say about OOMA...then say it, otherwise stop trying to "sell" another product!!

With that said, We are an original ooma user and got in before any monthly fee's. We were hesitant at first, but there hasn't been a day gone by that we didn't love our ooma. The call quality is better than our landline, we have the cordless phones with more than one handset so we keep those all over the place, and we use google on top of it.

We fax regularly and it works like a charm (*99 please!). I was concerned about setup which turned out to be easy, even though we have a wireless fax machine, a router hard drive, and multiple other connections all going through ooma.

I would suggest if you are on the fence, go for it.....you will NOT be disappointed!!



Thanks tracydr. I am just trying to make-up my mind between Ooma and Obi and I was thinking that this forum might help me.

sweethavenfarm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweethavenfarm
woottoady wrote:Either. You need a broadband modem with LAN output.



Thanks, But what if you have the high speed connection via a filtered/split landline. (they call it firewire)

caesar613


quality posts: 0 Private Messages caesar613
kamnet wrote:

If you own this product for more than seven months, then it will have paid for itself. After that, you're in the gravy. Good luck!



I have owned the Ooma Telo since Jan 2011. The unit stopped working in Feb 2012 (just outside warranty), likely due to a power outtage. When I contacted Ooma about a replacement, I had to pay full price again. There is no "existing customer discount". Still it's cheaper than other services.

Just something to think about when budgetting.

brodie657


quality posts: 1 Private Messages brodie657
caesar613 wrote:I have owned the Ooma Telo since Jan 2011. The unit stopped working in Feb 2012 (just outside warranty), likely due to a power outtage. When I contacted Ooma about a replacement, I had to pay full price again. There is no "existing customer discount". Still it's cheaper than other services.

Just something to think about when budgetting.



You can predict the future? Tell me who will win the World Series this year...

brodie657


quality posts: 1 Private Messages brodie657
longsa wrote:Never heard of this system and wants to know what is the monthly cost of the service.
does this mean you drop your land line and pick up whatever telephone service that the system has?



You buy the box and pay about $3.50 a month in taxes. Other than that it is completely cost free. You can drop your landline, and all of your calls go over the Internet (voice over IP).

msruru


quality posts: 15 Private Messages msruru

Will this work with my home security system?

dpax67


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dpax67
agemineye wrote:I am definitely kicking my Vonage out by the end of this month. I am going to replace it with either Obi or Ooma. I have read about both but am not able to make up my mind. Did anyone else out here faced the same dilemma? Could you let me know what did you decide and why?




Also consider the NetTalk Duo. I have that as well as the Ooma Telo. Both work great and completely as advertised. I got the NetTalk before I became aware of Ooma, and had already paid for a year's service. I'll probably keep both, since the NetTalk costs $30 per year.

cutier33


quality posts: 6 Private Messages cutier33

I have been looking for this item to come up again on Woot since I missed out on it during the last listing.

Thanks to everyone with all of your great advice - In for 1 and I can't wait to fire my current provider and start saving that $$$.

maskasdorf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages maskasdorf

Tempted to buy the Ooma ... really tempted ... but will probably head over to Costco.com instead. Current price at Costco is $219.99, which INCLUDES the extra handset (49.99) and Bluetooth adapter (29.99) so it comes out to the same price. You only get one of those here if you sign up for a year's worth of Ooma Premier (additional cost - $119). Costco's version is not refurbished and comes with a great return policy. Sorry, woot!

One caveat. The bluetooth device will only work on Premier service. Bummer!

ROGETRAY


quality posts: 167 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

sdc100 wrote:You're a grandma and you say, "pissed off"?!?!

Cool!



traceywashere


quality posts: 1 Private Messages traceywashere

SO tired of magiccrap -- 1/2 the time (okay 1/4) calls don't go thru -- and if the computer reboots (updates, etc) no phone (and you don't know) .. my buddy has had ooma for 1/2 a year now, and has mostly no complaints -- occasional dropped call, but it's likely more the fault of my magiccrap ... there's a reason ooma is #1

micmic


quality posts: 1 Private Messages micmic

I've had vonage for years after being tired for paying $60+/month to Ma Bell, but am looking to cut costs even further where I can these days.

One issue I've had with vonage is that I've never been able to send a fax successfully. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that with the Ooma device/service.

dclark61


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dclark61

Re support ... my first Ooma unit had a weak speaker, barely audible and would rattle. I called customer support, they answered right away, and quickly sent me out a new unit. No problems.

One minor nit; on two of my units (the replaced one and one of my current two), the AC power cable was prone to falling out of the unit. I just put a piece of tape over it to hold it in place.