4%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

I know that this is identical to a Chumby, except branded by Sony. Can they be hacked as easily as a Chumby can?

Bueller? Frye? Anyone?

karlr4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages karlr4

Bought one last time... it makes a cool alarm clock.

wclements

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wclements

I know I've seen this before!

Previous Woot (May 20): here

Will

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Previous woot--July 16:

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4556797

Since I'm having trouble coming up with wootalyzer entries in previous woots recently, I'll insert the $69.99 price for today.

adaokiebird

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adaokiebird

does this play you tube videos?

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

Some of you may recall the epic PRO and CON debate SDC100 and I had during the previous woot!

I still love my previous, previous, previous wooted Dash! I highly recommend this for streaming netflix and other streaming media at your bedside. The widescreen is nice and bright and the speakers are amply loud. The clock functions are good enough and I find it easier to hit the big snooze button than trying to find my android phone on my headboard that I had previously used as an alarm clock.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

I like this little device. It's surprisingly small and light, makes for a great alarm clock, and it's nice to have the web and widgets bed-side. The major downside being that the tiny speakers don't sound good enough to use it as a radio while working. :-( I'm also worried Sony will lose interest in the project.

Oh, and this price is fantastic. Wal-Mart sells them new for $150. And at Amazon it's about $100 minimum for a used Dash. I'd totally buy for $70!

linrey

quality posts: 4 Private Messages linrey

NOT identical to Chumby - it doesn't run most of the apps and it's not hackable.

Bought one last time - Sony is barely supporting these.

But I like mine anyway.

billykid05

quality posts: 4 Private Messages billykid05

Got one for Mom who literally won't touch the computer because it has "a Mouse". But she always wanted to email and search for recipes, the stuff Mom's do. Uses it every day now. Paid more for it.. Amazon?, no brainer.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

Wooted this a couple months ago. As long as you're aware you're getting what's pretty much a stationary alarm clock (and NOT a tablet in any way) it's a pretty awesome product. Great for waking up to internet radio, setting complex alarms, seeing the weather every morning, etc.

A few notes:
- No web browser, unlikely one will ever come
- Sony seems to have abandoned most (if not all) support for the product. The forum is a ghost town
- Not customizable/hackable like the Chumby, you're stuck with the Sony firmware
- Rumor is version 2 will be released soon, possibly why these are so cheap

But anyway, if you want a great alarm clock with an outstanding quality screen and a couple useful apps, this is perfect.

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili
phizzo wrote:This glorified alarm clock again?

This "glorified alarm clock" ROCKS! I love mine, and the friend I gifted one to loves hers as well.

qsopht

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qsopht
novastarj wrote:Wooted this a couple months ago. As long as you're aware you're getting what's pretty much a stationary alarm clock (and NOT a tablet in any way) it's a pretty awesome product. Great for waking up to internet radio, setting complex alarms, seeing the weather every morning, etc.

A few notes:
- Sony seems to have abandoned most (if not all) support for the product. The forum is a ghost town
- Not customizable/hackable like the Chumby, you're stuck with the Sony firmware

But anyway, if you want a great alarm clock with an outstanding quality screen and a couple useful apps, this is perfect.

And no battery.

clarkbhm

quality posts: 19 Private Messages clarkbhm

I picked one up last time it was on woot. Kind of cool, but I really wish it had a battery backup of some sort.

BlindingMask

quality posts: 6 Private Messages BlindingMask

Can it handle google calendar?

I'd like to have GC up on my desk at all times, if it can do it.

pinchecat

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pinchecat

i see the demo unit is running the heralded "sleeping red foxes" application. #1 on the sony dash marketplace, and the only app i have loaded on mine.

joselama

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joselama

Got this in last woot. Apps are good, but not great.

Will play youtube, netflix, pandora, shoutcast, etc. Couple of cool apps you can check on their website before purchasing. Touchscreen is ok (not like an android device or an ipad).

For me it makes a really cool alarm clock that plays music and baby monitor.

I do not regret buying this product, but dont go ahead expecting too much for 70 bucks.

mwinkykitty

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mwinkykitty

I bought one of these refurbished from Woot a while back.

You can't web browse on them, but youtube and Netflix look very nice. I actually mounted mine to an exercise bike so I can watch Netflix at the same time.

carlosxt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carlosxt

baby monitor? please elaborate

theguruguys

Some Chumby vs Dash info...

The Chumby vs Dash debate is overblown IMO because I have always seen them as two two totally different products aimed at different markets that just share a similar interfeace. The chumby is a fun 'geek' product that is hackable and the developers encourage tinkering with it.

The Dash is more closed source and has a smaller collection of compatible apps but it has a MUCH nicer widescreen and has a Snooze button. It is marketed as more of a alarm clock on steroids, where the Chumby designers hate the word alarm clock used with chumby. Dash is MUCH better streaming video and music and has Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and other providers which us DRM that the Chumby doesn't have.

Dash vs Tablet Summary:

There is an argument both devices have been aged by the onslaught of cheap Android devices available these days, but I still argue the Dash's screen, loud speakers, rubberized edge design (allowing me to easily prop my Dash up on my bathroom sink for a nice relaxing bath last week) make it better than most $70 android tablets *If* for watching video.

What your Dash expectations should be:

You will like the Dash if you want a dedicated Alarm Clock to leave at your bedside which can stream video and play internet radio, view basic weather info, act as a photo slideshow and a few other useful apps. It is NOT a tablet replacement.

You will find only a dozen or so apps useful (Weather, Picassa Web Albulm viewer, Chumby Spy (rotating webcams around the world) are some of my favorites. Those expecting a plethora of quality apps will be disappointing.

Be patient when selecting buttons, it is not the fastest OS, but its not intolerable either. The screen likes fingers, not fingernails or just fingertips. Don't try to scroll up and down, use the side scrollbar arrows instead when needed.

At this price the Dash is worth it and would have been a huge hit IMO. At its original retail price it would provide lots of disappointment.

mrsly69

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrsly69

Here is the Sony Website. Get's some positive reviews. The price is excellent.

Sony Website and Reviews

sdc100

quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100

I've always found it fascinating that the Dash description says that there are 1000+ apps while the Chumby claims 1500+ apps, although they use the same core operating system.

jimmoffitt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimmoffitt

The Dash is the coolest alarm clock ever.

mikeyjay001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikeyjay001

Perfect for Streaming Pandora or Slacker radio. Last I checked (and its been awhile) to get a Pandora home player was around 3 hundo. There are cool "Clock" apps too.

toddlamp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages toddlamp

Just picked up another one. Seems like the perfect xmas present for my bro. I've been loving mine since the last time it was on Woot. It makes a great alarm clock and if that is your primary reason for buying one it's fantastic IMO

shortcake49

quality posts: 14 Private Messages shortcake49

I got one last time around at this price level. My take : no one needs a Sony Dash but it's fun to own. Mine just scrolls away all day with news and social network updates. I occasionally use it for Netflix and more often to listen to Pandora. If it comes up before year end I'll buy a couple for holiday gifts.

theguruguys

sdc100 wrote:I've always found it fascinating that the Dash description says that there are 1000+ apps while the Chumby claims 1500+ apps, although they use the same core operating system.

While I doubt the difference is 500, the Dash doesn't support all of the Chumby apps. I'd say it would be hard to find more than 20 truly useful apps on either.

BTW, one of the more useful apps is the Subsonic streaming app which will allow you to play your music library stored on your PC to your Chumby/Dash, Android Device, etc.

sdc100

I said it last time and I'll say it again... an alternative to these Chumby [barely] Internet Viewers is to simply buy a cheap Android tablet, which costs $69-$100. Woot sold the Cruz R101 for $79 which comes with a stand to mount just like a picture frame. It stays mounted next to my bed 95% of the time, and functions as my alarm clock, REAL webrowser, video viewer, weather forecaster, game machine, scheduler, etc. One major advantange is that you can access a shared calendar, address book, etc like Google apps. Or access POP3 email from your office. That means that you can plan your day/week in bed, without having to enter info multiple times. I've also seen $79 Chinese made tablets with a camera so you can also video chat, i.e. Skype, near your need without turning on a laptop. I also use it as an eReader before bed.

All in all, a cheap Android tablet has served me better than a Dash would, for around the same price. Needless to say, there are many more apps. For example, I went through 6 calendar/alarm apps until I found one that is loudand flexible enough for my needs. And there are lots of widgets to choose from, i.e. for news feeds.

Two things that the Dash has over a cheap tablet are: 1) Netflix. Android app is coming soon but it's supposed to be pretty good on the Chumby/Dash now. Regardless, very cheap tablets may not handle video well. 2) The Dash has a capacitive tuvh screen while cheap tablets are resistive. In practice, however, you don't really touch the Dash screen too much so it really doesn't matter.

As an aside, those who claim the the Cruz is only an eReader and not a tablet simply have no idea of what a tablet is. It's a full tablet running Android on an 800mhz CPU (clocked to 500mhz, but may be hacked to 800mhz).

Here is the Cruz R101 in landscape mode in its weighted stand. It can also be put in portrait.

toddlamp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages toddlamp
sdc100 wrote:I said it last time and I'll say it again... an alternative to these Chumby [barely] Internet Viewers is to simply buy a cheap Android tablet, which costs $69-$100. Woot sold the Cruz R101 for $79 which comes with a stand to mount just like a picture frame. It stays mounted next to my bed 95% of the time, and functions as my alarm clock, REAL webrowser, video viewer, weather forecaster, game machine, scheduler, etc. One major advantange is that you can access a shared calendar, address book, etc like Google apps. Or access POPe email from your office. That means that you can plan your day/week in bed. I've also seen $79 Chinese made tablets with a camera so you can also video chat, i.e. Skype, near your need without turning on a laptop.

All in all, a cheap Android tablet has served me better than a Dash would, for around the same price. Needless to say, there are many more apps. For example, I went through 6 calendar/alarm apps until I found one that is loudand flexible enough for my needs. And there are lots of widgets to choose from, i.e. for news feeds.

Two things that the Dash has over a cheap tablet are: 1) Netflix. Android app is coming soon but it's supposed to be pretty good on the Chumby/Dash now. Regardless, very cheap tablets may not handle video well. 2) The Dash has a capacitive tuvh screen while cheap tablets are resistive. In practice, however, you don't really touch the Dash screen too much so it really doesn't matter.

As an aside, those who claim the the Cruz is only an eReader and not a tablet simply have no idea of what a tablet is. It's a full tablet running Android on an 800mhz CPU (clocked to 500mhz, but may be hacked to 700mhz).

Must we really go through this again?

sdc100

toddlamp wrote:Must we really go through this again?

Actually yes. That's part of Woot culture. When an item is sold again, information is posted again, ie. links and reviews -- unless something has changed. You make the erroneous assumption that new potential buyers are familiar with prior discussions. To some people, this is not "again." And FYI, about 30-50% of my Quality Posts offer alternatives to the current Woot item and so far, that approach seems to work.

mdgore

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mdgore

I got this last time it was offered, and I like it. The speakers are worthless, but you can plug in something like the Altec Lansing Orbit and it is nice. The apps are disappointing for sure, but I got it mainly for streaming Pandora, which it does nicely. The interface is also less than it should be. This is nothing but a really interesting gizmo that does a few things well and everything else poorly. But it's the most incredible alarm clock I have ever owned. It kicks my old Sony Dream Machine (which I had for decades!!!) to the curb in fine fashion. Would I buy it again??? Yes I would. It's cheaper than any internet radio streaming device that I've looked at.

When do we get to buy souls?

sdc100

novastarj wrote:
A few notes:

Are you sure there is no web browser? A couple of months ago, Sony was supposed to release a browser by Mother's Day 2011 (I think). It was never expected to be a full browser, but functional enough for looking up info.

theguruguys

sdc100 wrote:

Chumby does not have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, these are only on the Sony Dash. This is why Dash is closed architecture, otherwise they wouldn't be able to use the DRM protected apps.

Netflix is on the Android already. Viewing Netflix on a $79 non 16x9 tablet is not going to looks as good as on the Dash's screen, which is very nice. Propping my tablet up on my bathroom sink at the right angle proved impossible, the Dash's shape and rubberized sides made it easy. This comes into play in a lot of places where getting it to sit at just the right angle is important, the rubberized sides kinda 'stick' to the wall it is laying against.

The Dash touchscreen is not a strong point despite it being capacitive.

KCFalcon59

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KCFalcon59

Bought one earlier this year. Really enjoy it. The only thing keeping me from getting another is that Sony needs to put out a new update to fix the snooze problem when using pandora for the alarm. They have acknowledged the issue as early as March of this year and have yet to fix it.

sdc100

mdgore wrote:It's cheaper than any internet radio streaming device that I've looked at.

Well, sorta. Woot sells the 3.5" Chumby for $49.99 (or was it $39.99?) so if you merely want to stream radio, a Chumby is all you need. My Cruz Android tablet (which was $10 more than the Dash on Woot) also streams radio. I use Pandora and TuneIn every night and every morning.

ballewja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ballewja
KCFalcon59 wrote:Bought one earlier this year. Really enjoy it. The only thing keeping me from getting another is that Sony needs to put out a new update to fix the snooze problem when using pandora for the alarm. They have acknowledged the issue as early as March of this year and have yet to fix it.

What's the snooze problem? I use Pandora as my alarm on the Dash...I guess I never noticed it.

theguruguys

sdc100 wrote:Are you sure there is no web browser? A couple of months ago, Sony was supposed to release a browser by Mother's Day 2011 (I think). It was never expected to be a full browser, but functional enough for looking up info.

Never came out, wouldn't use it much anyway on a device like these, not what they are made for would never be very practical.

spotter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spotter
mvsopen wrote:I know that this is identical to a Chumby, except branded by Sony. Can they be hacked as easily as a Chumby can?

Bueller? Frye? Anyone?

It's not hackable. The firmware is locked down and signed to prevent it from loading alternate ones. I have one. It was somewhat of a waste of money because of this. The only advantage over a regular chumby is that it has the sony specific drm'd stuff (i.e. amazon streaming and the like), which in truth you'll never really use as this is an advanced alarm clock and not much more.

sdc100

theguruguys wrote:While I doubt the difference is 500, the Dash doesn't support all of the Chumby apps. I'd say it would be hard to find more than 20 truly useful apps on either.

BTW, one of the more useful apps is the Subsonic streaming app which will allow you to play your music library stored on your PC to your Chumby/Dash, Android Device, etc.

I have yet to open the Chumby I bought in the last Wootoff. As long as I can 10 quality programs that I need, I'll be happy. Since I plan to use it as a bathroom clock, I don't need games or Netflix, Hulu, etc. And I certain;y don't want to encourage others to hog up my bathroom with video streaming! I won't even allow magazines there... My bathroom serves 2 purposes and a media kiosk ain't one of them.

theguruguys

spotter wrote:It's not hackable. The firmware is locked down and signed to prevent it from loading alternate ones. I have one. It was somewhat of a waste of money because of this. The only advantage over a regular chumby is that it has the sony specific drm'd stuff (i.e. amazon streaming and the like), which in truth you'll never really use as this is an advanced alarm clock and not much more.

Which in truth maybe YOU will never use, but it is the main thing I use on my Dash (aside form alarm clock). I'd call that a big advantage over the Chumby if you are buying the Dash for that purpose, which is why I bought mine.

The other BIG advantage over the Chumby is the Dash's screen which its larger 7" vs 3.5", is 16x9 and 800x480 resolution vs 320x240, and based on personal observation is brighter and has more contrast.

It also has a big snooze button, which the Chumby does not. Ill repeat what I said earlier, they are totally different devices for a different market group IMO.