WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Football season is nigh, and that means it's time for the infinitely-more-annoying ritual of Fantasy Football season! If you're unaware, Fantasy Football is a thing invented for the purposes of giving football fans a reason to follow the minutiae of box scores and stat lines the way baseball fans might. You draft players, which can be on any NFL team, and play them on your own team to earn points from their stats. So if you have a great Quarterback who throws for 400 yards in a game, you'll earn points in your Fantasy team. If he wins the game on a last-second touchdown pass, but had three interceptions before that, you'll probably lose points.

It's a weird zone on the Venn Diagram of sports junkies and stats nerds...

I like to play, but not too seriously. There are people who live and die by these leagues, get into arguments or even fights over trades, player availability, and the like. I usually draft the guys whose names I recognize and shy away from accepting anyone's offer to trade players with me for fear of being swindled. So when my Dallas pal Fenster sent a generic invite to join a league he was creating for Woot folks, I happily joined in. After randomly clicking a few links on The Phrontistery to generate my team name (The Croceate Cockets. Look it up.), I posted a message asking when our draft would be. The commissioner responded with a helpful "sometime in the next 72 hours, so keep checking." Uh, okay, fine. I'd just have to check back on the webpage once a day.

Oops.

Several days passed before I remembered, "Oh crap. I have a Fantasy Football team!" I logged in to find the draft had already transpired. Luckily, I had set some pre-rankings ahead of time and had a decent draft position. My team looked relatively stacked considering I had forgotten it existed:

My Team

So now I'll periodically document my triumphs or failures throughout the season, while soliciting advice from you, the unwashed masses of the internet. My first matchup is already looking favorable:

Matchup

And even though the season hasn't started, I'm already looking forward to playing our league's "not taking this seriously" person, who I guess is a huge fan of terrible football teams the Seahawks:

Team Seattle

So what moves should I make? Who should I absolutely drop in a heartbeat? I'm not keen on making a bunch of moves before getting a chance to see them play a game. I'm sure I'll get some flak for my homer decision to pick up Lance Kendricks (I dropped Steve Smith of the Panthers, which I would normally say was a bad move but Steve Smith isn't going to have anybody throwing him the ball for at least three years), but I've been a fan since they drafted him and after seeing his performance in the preseason game, he's definitely going to be a part of the offense for St. Louis.

Let me know what you think in the comments below, and feel free to keep me posted on how YOUR team's doing.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets

How deep is this league?

Nothing follows.

t3chvest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages t3chvest

You *dropped* Steve Smith? Oh my...

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
taternuggets wrote:How deep is this league?

Eight teams.

SkunkyBeer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SkunkyBeer

I'm assuming this isn't a very large league. Either that, or the other folks drafting didn't have a clue to the value of several players.

You've got great starters, but your reserves stink.

Drop the two reserve TEs, and Evans, then hit the waiver wire. Also, you can't start Chris Johnson at this point - he's holding out, hasn't been to camp, and it could get very ugly.

SkunkyBeer

SkunkyBeer wrote:I'm assuming this isn't a very large league. Either that, or the other folks drafting didn't have a clue to the value of several players.

Drop the two reserve TEs, and Evans, then hit the waiver wire. Also, you can't start Chris Johnson at this point - he's holding out, hasn't been to camp, and it could get very ugly.

Name six or seven WR on the waiver wire that you're interested in. I'm sure we can find you two or three.

SkunkyBeer

SkunkyBeer wrote:I'm assuming this isn't a very large league. Either that, or the other folks drafting didn't have a clue to the value of several players.

Name six or seven WR on the waiver wire that you're interested in. I'm sure we can find you two or three.

llandar

SkunkyBeer wrote:Name six or seven WR on the waiver wire that you're interested in. I'm sure we can find you two or three.

The trick is everyone else in my league is probably going to see this, too. The top WRs available are:

Steve Smith - CAR
Mike Sims-Walker - STL
AJ Green - CIN
Jordy Nelson - GB
Johnny Knox - WR
Malcom Floyd - SD
Braylon Edwards - SF
Michael Crabtree - SF
Jacoby Ford - OAK
Davone Bess - MIA
Danny Amendola - STL
Deion Branch - NE

sideshowmike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sideshowmike

be sure to check your league settings too.

looking at who you were able to auto-draft and then looking at your first opponent, i have a feeling that you might be in a PPR league (that's points per reception) which could really sway personnel decisions.

again, you have great starters (no matter the scoring, i think), but your bench needs work.

good luck!

dawhale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawhale

First move, get rid of Stevie Johnson...he almost sounds like he made up his name like Eric Normalson or John Everyman

llandar

dawhale wrote:First move, get rid of Stevie Johnson...he almost sounds like he made up his name like Eric Normalson or John Everyman

Fine. I dropped him and picked up Johnny Steveson.

hopesbitterend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hopesbitterend

A) I am very excited to see how your season turns out

B) there is never a need for 3 TE's, and since you're wearing of trading... drop Lance Kendricks and pick up RB/WR (depending on if your league gets points for RECEPTIONS)

taternuggets

I concur on dumping those carcass tight ends.

Nothing follows.

davidbowser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidbowser

Even for an 8 team league, that is a pretty sick starting team.

I would grab one of the SF receivers as they both have an even chance at 800 yds and 7 TDs. Alex Smith (or whoever loses the bet) will have 3 people to throw the ball to this year with Davis, Edwards, and Crabtree, as opposed to the 1.5-2 people he had in past years. A healthy Gore could make them a .500 team.

mnsports83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnsports83

Pick up AJ Green. Cincinnati will be so terrible that they'll be playing from behind constantly and he'll get a bunch of garbage time yardage.

jeeperwoot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jeeperwoot

probably can drop the Giants D. NO has an easier schedule and probably a better D over all this year. Better to pick up another rb/wr to sit on your bench than a D you'l lnever use. can always drop a te/wr for a d in the bye week.

& too many te

SkunkyBeer

llandar wrote:The trick is everyone else in my league is probably going to see this, too. The top WRs available are:

Steve Smith - CAR
Mike Sims-Walker - STL
AJ Green - CIN
Jordy Nelson - GB
Johnny Knox - WR
Malcom Floyd - SD
Braylon Edwards - SF
Michael Crabtree - SF
Jacoby Ford - OAK
Davone Bess - MIA
Danny Amendola - STL
Deion Branch - NE

I'm liking the StL passing game this year, for fantasy anyways. Hard to say who the better pickup is between the two WR listed there - Sims-Walker has the better resume, and wins the tie.

Jordy Nelson is a hot sleeper this year. With the possible exception of AJ Green, I'd probably stay away from the rest.

Be prepared to jump on a guy who breaks out in the first week or two. The key to avoiding a mirage is that the reason for the breakout has to primarily be the system. It will be the guy who promoted into the starters and is finally getting a chance to show what he can do. There will be a number of other guys with good numbers who got them because of fluke plays or broken defenses. The trick is to avoid those...

SkunkyBeer

llandar wrote:The trick is everyone else in my league is probably going to see this, too. The top WRs available are:

Steve Smith - CAR
Mike Sims-Walker - STL
AJ Green - CIN
Jordy Nelson - GB
Johnny Knox - WR
Malcom Floyd - SD
Braylon Edwards - SF
Michael Crabtree - SF
Jacoby Ford - OAK
Davone Bess - MIA
Danny Amendola - STL
Deion Branch - NE

I'm liking the StL passing game this year, for fantasy anyways. Hard to say who the better pickup is between the two WR listed there - Sims-Walker has the better resume, and wins the tie.

Jordy Nelson is a hot sleeper this year. With the possible exception of AJ Green, I'd probably stay away from the rest.

Be prepared to jump on a guy who breaks out in the first week or two. The key to avoiding a mirage is that the reason for the breakout has to primarily be the system. It will be the guy who promoted into the starters and is finally getting a chance to show what he can do. There will be a number of other guys with good numbers who got them because of fluke plays or broken defenses. The trick is to avoid those...

cdogg777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cdogg777

First of all don't listen to anyone who says don't play Chris Johnson. =) I don't care if he only shows up in time to dress for Game1. PLAY HIM. He was #1 last year and top3 this year for a reason.

And yes, you don't need 3 TE's. And some of those FA WR's are better than what you have. You could probably drop Kendricks, Evans, Viscante, and possibly Stevie for:
Smith, Edwards, Floyd, Crabtree(depending on injury status), Amandola or Sims-walker(tho I would probably shy away until we see whos the #1 guy in STL).
I would drop the first 3 for the first 3 i listed. Then keep a trigger finger on the FA list depending what happens the rest of preseason and regular season.

You guys drafted too early! It's best practice to draft after the last pre season game, before the first regular season. =)

WootFlair

quality posts: 10 Private Messages WootFlair

Yeah, I picked 90% Seahawks for my fantasy football team. Only team I care about when it comes to sports.

But you can knock them if you want. Everyone does. Makes for a better surprise when no one suspects them to do good.

SkunkyBeer

WootFlair wrote:Yeah, I picked 90% Seahawks for my fantasy football team. Only team I care about when it comes to sports.

But you can knock them if you want. Everyone does. Makes for a better surprise when no one suspects them to do good.

Enjoy the T-Jack moments when they come. Each one should be savored like fine wine. They're far more rare in fact.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Why would anyone drop Stevie Johnson? Playing from behind as the #1 receiver in Buffalo is a good thing (for fantasy purposes).

Like others have said, you have a beasty team, especially on the ground. Just may take some time to get the WR corps together.

Pushed my league's draft out to August 28th due to the late start. CJ is a great runner, but anyone who isn't concerned somewhat about holdouts is forgetting how much conditioning helps players for the start of the season.

absowootly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages absowootly
WootFlair wrote:Yeah, I picked 90% Seahawks for my fantasy football team. Only team I care about when it comes to sports.

Well, it is especially nice that I am playing you in Week 1. At least I know that I will have at least one win this season!

darryledmunds

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darryledmunds

Homers never do well

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

darryledmunds wrote:Homers never do well

I did well when I homered the Saints for most of their '09 Superbowl season. But I was pretty lucky that year, I don't do that anymore.

taternuggets

tgentry wrote:I did well when I homered the Saints for most of their '09 Superbowl season. But I was pretty lucky that year, I don't do that anymore.

I'll go way out on a limb and predict that this is not the Seahawk's Superbowl season.

Nothing follows.

ghost8472

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghost8472
absowootly wrote:Well, it is especially nice that I am playing you in Week 1. At least I know that I will have at least one win this season!

No, the week you REALLY want to play him is week 6 when he only has a WR and a K

WootFlair

darryledmunds wrote:Homers never do well

I don't have any players on my team from Dallas. No homers here.

kcarsonwoot

quality posts: 261 Private Messages kcarsonwoot

Your team will be lucky to go 3-13 in the Woot League...Just like the Seattle Seahawks in real life.

'Woooooooooh'(Rick Flair Style)

WootFlair

kcarsonwoot wrote:Your team will be lucky to go 3-13 in the Woot League...Just like the Seattle Seahawks in real life.

'Woooooooooh'(Rick Flair Style)

Woooo! Rock out with your Hawk out, baby!

hopesbitterend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hopesbitterend
taternuggets wrote:I'll go way out on a limb and predict that this is not the Seahawk's Superbowl season.

Hahahahaha, short limb!

linkage49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linkage49

really guys? drop stevie Johnson? a guy who broke the record for receiving TD's in a single season in just the last 12 games? the only reason why stock would slide on him is the departure of Lee Evans... and even Evans' stock went up after being traded to the ravens because baltimore has so many other people to worry about... ie Boldin and Mason... where he could get free in the stretch and go for a career high in TD's and yards... I wouldn't throw out johnson just because he's on a terrible team... he's a breakout player...

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
linkage49 wrote:really guys? drop stevie Johnson? a guy who broke the record for receiving TD's in a single season in just the last 12 games? the only reason why stock would slide on him is the departure of Lee Evans... and even Evans' stock went up after being traded to the ravens because baltimore has so many other people to worry about... ie Boldin and Mason... where he could get free in the stretch and go for a career high in TD's and yards... I wouldn't throw out johnson just because he's on a terrible team... he's a breakout player...

He's crazy even by WR standards.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

My memory's fuzzy. Who knocked the (at the time) reigning superbowl champs out of the playoffs last year?

That being said, I'd only consider Rice, Lynch or Miller even worth considering as starters (well, the kicker, but kickers are interchangeable, really)

denise4080

quality posts: 1 Private Messages denise4080

I have 2nd pick tonight in my all gal money league.
I am wondering if I should go RB QB RB or RB RB QB? Not sure if I should try and grab a top 6 QB or leave that pick for later?