jhgraham3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhgraham3

Worst track pad ever. Its impossible to type on this laptop.

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran
ryancooke wrote:Is this a pretty good basic laptop? Thought about buying the $500 dollar one off of sellout.woot last week but was out of my price range for now.
I think I want this but everyone's complaining

Best Buy has a ASUS, better quality than HP, with better specs and an HDMI out for $349. It's a 15" but it's new, and has great battery life.

Rock

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

For the price, the processor in this is not very bad at all. It scores 1529 over at Passmark. This puts it around the same speed as a Intel Core2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66GHz. This will be plenty fast to get all the basic business/school tasks done and browse the web just fine.

This is one of the better notebook as far as price/value is concerned that has shown up on woot! lately, but I still can't recommend HP.

pk500

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pk500

Be slightly wary. Solid, basic machine if your computer needs are no more than surfing the Web, word processing and Flash gaming.

But the keyboard on this series of HP laptops makes oatmeal look stiff. Terrible feel.

Plus our HP laptop in this series has frequent connectivity issues with the wireless adapter, and it's a common problem seen on HP and computer help forums.

Caveat emptor. You can do better at this price.

theguruguys

ksabato wrote:No, it's even slower than your Core 2 Duo. The tech in this came out before the Core 2 Duo and WAY before the i-series.

Depends on what applications you are using it with and which exact processor you are comparing it to. For instance, this processor is faster than the lower end i series mobile processors like the Intel Core i7 620UM @ 1.07GHz and Intel Core i3 380UM @ 1.33GHz. It is almost the same speed as a Intel Core2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz and faster than a Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz when it comes to the passmark scores.

theguruguys

jyoz22 wrote:Not necessarily. The biggest mistake people make when they look at a processor and compare it is just look at its name. Just because it says i5 does not make it more powerful than an i3 for example. A premium i3 and newer generation can be more powerful than a older i5 processor. I always search around and look for benchmark results to compare processors.

I posted earlier linking to benchmark results for this processor, you may notice that it actually has more power than an i3 380UM and an i3 330UM processor.

Exactly (sorry I said the same thin in another post before I read yours). At least twice chance someone will learn though however.

virtual1one

quality posts: 6 Private Messages virtual1one

That's gotta be the closest macbook pro design ripoff I've seen so far. They even put a nice round white HP logo right where the white apple usually is. Though in their defense there's nothing that quite says "not actually an Apple product" like a baby picking its nose on the screen.

But it's not THAT bad of a price for a 17" laptop I suppose.

billrhea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billrhea

I am using this PC right now and I love it. I have never had any problems. I love the big screen. I think I paid $499 for mine so this is a killer deal.

amirza1983

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amirza1983

Does the laptop come with MS Office? Do all Windows 7 come with MS Office?

antikid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages antikid

bought this for my wife a while ago on woot.
as someone else said, as long as you don't need power/graphics it is fine. she uses it for facebook, netflix, photos and general web surfing.

the mouse area is terrible if you ask me. there is a texture that really bothers me. it works fine, but makes my finger feel funny.

cheruvim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheruvim

This is a great deal but woot uses FedEx Home Delivery as its primary shipper. This means it would probably get cerried off by the first poooony they gave it to. The never can make sure that poooony is the recepient.

They suck, you take big risk ordering from here. Not because Woot is bad. Its FedEx that's bad.

Woot, change your shipper and I'll be a customer again.

cactusdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cactusdude
cjmoran wrote:Best Buy has a ASUS, better quality than HP, with better specs and an HDMI out for $349. It's a 15" but it's new, and has great battery life.

I am not sure how you could compare a 15 in. screen with a 17 in screen........Also, how can you compare a notebook keyboard with a keyboard with num pad.....

I guess you are really trying to say a luxury edition compact car is better than the base model toyota sedan ????

WOOT!!! Nothing but CARP !!!!!!

crowsnest

quality posts: 53 Private Messages crowsnest

OK. Everything everyone said is great and all, BUT if I had this lappy tappy yesterday would I have been able to score a Bundle of Crops ? Thats the real question!

@crowsnest531

egowhip69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages egowhip69

Not a bad little laptop.

Got one for my brother's B-Day a couple months ago.

One thing that VASTLY improves the user experience is to get a 7200 RPM drive, especially the one that has that 4 gig cache feature.

And of course, if you have a disk laying around, a clean windows install always makes it better and cleans off all the HP bloatware..

Where ever you be, there you are!

tommybluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tommybluez
ryancooke wrote:Is this a pretty good basic laptop? Thought about buying the $500 dollar one off of sellout.woot last week but was out of my price range for now.
I think I want this but everyone's complaining

I bought the exact same one about a year ago at Staples. They had it for $579-$100 Mail In - $100 Trade in for a working desktop/laptop. I got it for $379. This is the first time I've seen this same one for this price, I think I got a great deal. I've seen the same/similar at best buy etc, for around 450-500.

Getting back to the laptop. I think it's been awesome. The screen is big and bright, it's got pretty good battery life, i'd say about 4 solid hours with screen on max bright. (from what i remember I don't use it on battery often)

I use it for web, DVD playback, CD/DVD Burning, Office, Netflix etc. I've never had any hiccups or problems... I typically have 2 Chrome windows open with 10-15 tabs a piece, can still watch videos or work on Word.

Now, the trackpad, does suck. It's the same texture as the whole laptop and it takes some getting used to. That said, it's usable. I have a small mouse with a usb wireless receiver i keep around.

It's my main home machine, so I love the HDMI out --- I use my 50" plasma as a monitor, the PC is in my office and I ran an HDMI cable to the TV, so I use it in my living room with the TV and a wireless/keyboard/mouse combo.

At anyrate, I would buy another one at this price! One last thing - if you plan to carry/travel a lot - remember it IS a big laptop - it's got a 17.3" screen.

tommybluez

jhgraham3 wrote:Worst track pad ever. Its impossible to type on this laptop.

I agree on the trackpad, but the keyboard is great - I have no issues with it.

tommybluez

Great Solid Machine for the price. Bought mine a year ago with a rebate and trade-in for the same price. Haven't seen this price again since today. Web, DVD Playback, HDMI out, Office (not included), big hard drive for a laptop, very happy! (I concur the trackpad is not the best, I have a little wireless mouse i use.)

marvjl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marvjl

They listened to you. I just saw a news story that they are to buy Autonomy and try to sell their computer division.

Kao1138 wrote:Funny. A few hours ago Woot was mentioned in an article about how HP only sold 10% of the tablets they sent to Best Buy for sale (25,000 out of 250,000) and only 612 sold on Woot, despite selling them for $50-$100 off at Best Buy and $120 off on Woot.

IMHO HP should go back to making printers. They make a decent printer on par with Epson, and that goes for their scanners and all-in-ones as well, but they suck at doing anything else.

Edit: Article Link (Ars Technica)

dmart01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmart01
sdc100 wrote:with a 17" screen? Where?

and the screen is that big of a difference when comparing the i3 to the pdc processor?.

zzzzz78759

quality posts: 9 Private Messages zzzzz78759
crowsnest wrote:OK. Everything everyone said is great and all, BUT if I had this lappy tappy yesterday would I have been able to score a Bundle of Crops ? Thats the real question!

Actually, I've scored several Bundle of Crops on my HP laptop. Scored #6 yesterday but I was at work so I'm not sure if the laptop would have been faster or not.

So, maybe yes

chakolate

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chakolate

I got this from woot a few months ago, and it's telling me the hard drive needs to be replaced. The speakers are tinny, and the touchpad is awful: you can't tell by feel when you are off the touch pad, and it is supersensitive sometimes, so that when you think you're moving the cursor, you're actually clicking.

Except for the hard drive needing to be replaced, it suited my needs and my budget. But that's a big 'except'. Sigh.

rproffitt1955

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rproffitt1955

I had the i5 based G62 which is similar and had a bug in the Insyde BIOS. This machine and others with that BIOS would not boot with my HTC EVO 4G plugged in. HP was hopeless on this as they replied "We buy the BIOS."

The Trackpad was fine for me but HP destroyed the laptop in their service department so I'm out one laptop.

Be sure if you have a smart phone to test for that bug.

abernaki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abernaki
demosdemon wrote:Intel Dual core procs are so old. No thanks.

Q4 2010 is old, but not that old. My i3 is Q1 2010.

bgaddis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bgaddis

Decent PC unless you are a kid that only thinks they are for games

jjcobra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjcobra
jyoz22 wrote:Hmm not really weird, most PC's don't come with full versions of Office pre-installed.

However, most manufacturers now include Microsoft Office Starter Edition which is an ad-supported limited version of Word and Excel. No PowerPoint.

I bought my computer earlier this year in April, it came with Office 2010 Starter and it seems to meet my needs. I use LibreOffice/OpenOffice for everything else.

Not sure if this one has Starter or not.

This computer only has a trial.

Only computers from this year and on will have Starter.

jjcobra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjcobra
amirza1983 wrote:Does the laptop come with MS Office? Do all Windows 7 come with MS Office?

No, it comes with an Office Trial. Computers that have come out this year will give you a starter version of Word and Excel (you just have to deal with advertisements(

mcglasgow@yahoo.com

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcglasgow@yahoo.com

Hey, that is my picture on the HP screen. Come woot that image has a CC attribution on it.

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

forget this deal, here is bigger news...

woot is now in the dictionary!!!
http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/08/18/7407194-retweet-woot-and-cyberbullying-added-to-dictionary?GT1=43001

enantiodromia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages enantiodromia

No wonder all we see are HP laptops at low low prices lately:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/238416/hp_plans_pc_spinoff_10_billion_autonomy_buy.html

HP is killing WebOS and selling off their PC business.

Fumanshoo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Fumanshoo
tommybluez wrote:I agree on the trackpad, but the keyboard is great - I have no issues with it.

I'm assuming you haven't looked at the new generation of keyboard layouts, ergonomics, and feel.

The problem with this laptop's keyboard is the old style button press/keystroke; the keys butted up against one another, the keystroke has a soft, thin-plasticy feel to it. This older style (on low budget models like this one) sometimes lends to unregistered keystrokes for the faster typist.

The newer keyboard layouts mimic the texture, feel, and keystroke action of today's Macbooks. The keys are also spaced out that lends to a more natural and accurate keystroke. The keystroke also has a more solid feel once it bottom's out.

This feature may seem meaningless to you, but if you were to type on one of these laptops and then go back to that HP laptop, you would see exactly what I am talking about.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
mcglasgow@yahoo.com wrote:Hey, that is my picture on the HP screen. Come woot that image has a CC attribution on it.

Sorry if there's been a misunderstanding. The license on the Flickr page states that we are free "to make commercial use of the work" as long as we "attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor".

As specified on your Flickr profile, we added a credit at the bottom of our front page and at the bottom of the blog post for this particular sale that both links to the photo page and credits you by name - although we probably should have named you as "Michael Glasgow" as you asked, and not "M. Glasgow". I'll fix that part now.

Is there something else I've misunderstood here? Again, sorry if there's any confusion. All we can do is go by what we see on Flickr.

embhorn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages embhorn
enantiodromia wrote:No wonder all we see are HP laptops at low low prices lately:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/238416/hp_plans_pc_spinoff_10_billion_autonomy_buy.html

HP is killing WebOS and selling off their PC business.

Yup... Guess what website is going to be selling all the stock now that its a completely unsupported platform?

tmlange

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmlange
iceplusplus wrote:
THE BIG PROBLEM IS NO WEBCAM. WHY WOULD ANY COMPANY MAKE A MACHINE WITHOUT A WEBCAM NOW? THAT IS WHY IT IS ON WOOT. THEY CAN'T SELL IT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE A WEBCAM! AND THEY GET TONS OF RETURNS ON THEM BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE IT.

Check the specifications list again.

"Webcam: Integrated
Microphone:Integrated"

crowsnest

quality posts: 53 Private Messages crowsnest
mkentosh wrote:forget this deal, here is bigger news...

woot is now in the dictionary!!!
http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/08/18/7407194-retweet-woot-and-cyberbullying-added-to-dictionary?GT1=43001

Yeah but it's like D&D w00t! Not woot don't ya know.

@crowsnest531

tetherton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tetherton

This is good for watching TV shows on Hulu or whatever in bed. Not going to be good for gaming or anything graphics intensive.

It reminds me of my g/f's dv9000 that I recently resurrected with a blowtorch.

stevef2222

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevef2222

in todays news..hp getting out of the pc business...f.y.i.

mesostinky

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mesostinky
theguruguys wrote:Depends on what applications you are using it with and which exact processor you are comparing it to. For instance, this processor is faster than the lower end i series mobile processors like the Intel Core i7 620UM @ 1.07GHz and Intel Core i3 380UM @ 1.33GHz. It is almost the same speed as a Intel Core2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz and faster than a Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz when it comes to the passmark scores.

Ignoring people asking for a Sandy Bridge i cpu at $379, I think that's a fair price and its plenty fast based on that score. That's easily enough power for a day to day laptop for most people. Windows 7 on that setup will hum just fine.

Everyone would love to see this at $279 but that's not gonna happen.

edit: what's with everyone being like, its "ok for my OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES! grandfather who just plays hearts all day". Beyond gaming and hd video editing there isn't anything you couldn't use this for.

Bione

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Bione

[quote postid="4600519" user="Kao1138"]

"IMHO HP should go back to making printers. They make a decent printer on par with Epson, and that goes for their scanners and all-in-ones as well, but they suck at doing anything else."

--

It looks like HP agrees with you: they're about to sell off their PC business, and all their WebOS stuff. Guess there will be a large number of very cheap TouchPads in the next month or so...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20094222-92/hp-halts-webos-business-spins-off-pc-unit/?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

EDIT: just realized I'm about the 5th person to post this article - sorry!

interwebwarrior

quality posts: 0 Private Messages interwebwarrior

I wish more business class laptops would show up on woot. These consumer oriented lines always seem to have poor build quality.

jacvoyt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jacvoyt
sdc100 wrote:It's fine for someone who has low processing needs, doesn't need portability but has no room (or need) for a desktop. This also saves energy, and offer enough portability to easy go from room to room. I think many parents and grandparents fit this category. They can email, videochat with the family, websurf, check out some videos, word process, etc. And yes, it's powerful enough to watch DVDs too. For $379, why not recommend it?

I can't recommend it because the user experience with this machine is horrible. Of course it will allow you to basic things like go online/write papers/video chat, but so will any computer made in the last 5 years. That said, people buy computers to use over time. Every time I used this computer it was a test of my patience. You can't differentiate where the trackpad starts and where it ends. Every time you touch anything on the machine it makes that hollow cheap plastic sound. The screen resolution dimensions seem off. Typing on it is uncomfortable. For a basic use machine that is always plugged in, why not just buy used or buy a better machine for $399.