sterttenstallings

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sterttenstallings

just what i have been waiting for..

A nice laptop though

i know she will love it..

rlapid2112

quality posts: 9 Private Messages rlapid2112
iceplusplus wrote:THE BIG PROBLEM IS NO WEBCAM. WHY WOULD ANY COMPANY MAKE A MACHINE WITHOUT A WEBCAM NOW? THAT IS WHY IT IS ON WOOT. THEY CAN'T SELL IT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE A WEBCAM! AND THEY GET TONS OF RETURNS ON THEM BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE IT.

From the specs:

Battery: 6-Cell Lithium-Ion
Speakers: Altec Lansing
Webcam: Integrated
Microphone: Integrated
Keyboard: Full-Size

MrFats

quality posts: 9 Private Messages MrFats

My first lappy for college was an HP, mid-level at the time. The computer itself was OK...for a while. (this was during XP, so you can imagine how long ago that was).
BSOD all the time. Eventually I decided to try Linux and loaded Ubuntu...big mistake. HP's decision to use proprietary drivers made things a hassle, but that was ages ago. Probably better support for Ubuntu now, or Ubuntu has better support for proprietary devices (more likely)
Customer service is the worst I've ever dealt with. You hear all those jokes about how bad computer customer service is? I'm willing to bet that most of that comes from HP. Their warranties also don't cover certain parts that should be, like a hinge defect they had with the line at the time. The eventually made good, but my point is that while this computer is inexpensive and will meet most people's basic computing needs, there's plenty of other companies you can give your money to, and receive a better computer.
I use an Asus netbook and an Acer desktop, and I'm happy with them both.

Fumanshoo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Fumanshoo
jacvoyt wrote:I can't recommend it because the user experience with this machine is horrible. Of course it will allow you to basic things like go online/write papers/video chat, but so will any computer made in the last 5 years. That said, people buy computers to use over time. Every time I used this computer it was a test of my patience. You can't differentiate where the trackpad starts and where it ends. Every time you touch anything on the machine it makes that hollow cheap plastic sound. The screen resolution dimensions seem off. Typing on it is uncomfortable. For a basic use machine that is always plugged in, why not just buy used or buy a better machine for $399.

alose

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alose
cheruvim wrote:This is a great deal but woot uses FedEx Home Delivery as its primary shipper. This means it would probably get cerried off by the first poooony they gave it to. The never can make sure that poooony is the recepient.

They suck, you take big risk ordering from here. Not because Woot is bad. Its FedEx that's bad.

Woot, change your shipper and I'll be a customer again.

Most of the Shipping is Fedex Saver. Which means it is your postman that is doing the actual delivering. Not sure how much peace of mind it gives that the neighborhood kid that steals it is breaking a federal crime. Course, anything this big, I would buy with a credit card just for the extra protection.

duodec

quality posts: 14 Private Messages duodec

Although others have posted the gist, here's the HP Press Release covering the WebOS (Touchpad) and 'plans' for their 'Personal Systems Group', which I believe covers their notebook computers as well as the desktops (not servers though, so Proliants will apparently remain HP)

Press release here

Look upon my Avatar, ye whiny, and despair!

MichaelSF

quality posts: 92 Private Messages MichaelSF

I have an HP notebook (it's one of five notebooks, netbooks and tablets I own). I have been very pleased with it. I paid $450 for it (after rebate) and I can't imagine getting a different brand for such a great price and with specs similar to this Woot notebook.

I leave my HP on about 16 hours a day, as a "net access" machine. I have done that for about seven months and it's still running great. So while all computers have units that fail, I assume my HP exemplifies the quality of these machines. (Just to be safe with mine I spent $100 for a three year Square Trade warranty that includes accidental damage.)

And my HP (that looks similar to this machine) does not feel cheap nor shoddily made. So I don't know about those comments where people are saying these Pavilions look and feel cheap.

That said, just today I read HP is putting up its computer business up for sale and closing down its tablet and phone division. IMO that does not bode well for techinical support down the road.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20110818/us-tec-hewlett-packard-mobile-shutdown/

Sidenote: It amazes me that big companies simply cease operations or discontinue new or fairly new products like they are flipping light switches. Recall Microsoft and its licensed cell phone, Cisco closing down its Flip camcorder business, and now this with HP.)

MichaelSF

I guess the demise of HP's "personal computing" business means that we will see a lot of HP products on Woot. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but Woot better have prices way lower than what this notebook is selling for, AND list the Touchpad for about $150, not the price Woot was selling it for.

Wondering why HP wants to dump its personal computing products business. Here's one reason:

While Best Buy took delivery of 270,000 HP TouchPads, it has sold less than 25,000 units. Best Buy is so angered by Touchpad sales it wants HP to take the unsold tablets back and issue a refund.

And apparently Walmart and Fry’s are experiencing dismal TouchPad sales.

MichaelSF

Kao1138 wrote:Funny. A few hours ago Woot was mentioned in an article about how HP only sold 10% of the tablets they sent to Best Buy for sale (25,000 out of 250,000) and only 612 sold on Woot, despite selling them for $50-$100 off at Best Buy and $120 off on Woot.

IMHO HP should go back to making printers. They make a decent printer on par with Epson, and that goes for their scanners and all-in-ones as well, but they suck at doing anything else.

Edit: Article Link (Ars Technica)

HP has announced it is closing down its tablet business. Guess it took your advice. ;)

MichaelSF

iceplusplus wrote:
THE BIG PROBLEM IS NO WEBCAM. WHY WOULD ANY COMPANY MAKE A MACHINE WITHOUT A WEBCAM NOW? THAT IS WHY IT IS ON WOOT. THEY CAN'T SELL IT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE A WEBCAM! AND THEY GET TONS OF RETURNS ON THEM BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE IT.

Are you referring to this Woot?

I am surprised you would say this.

Fact - All notebooks nowadays have webcams. The technology is so inexpensive (about $5 to $10 to the manufacturer) that it makes no sense to not include one.

Fact - In the pic you can see the webcam.

Fact - It says in the specs that it has an integrated webcam.

Where did you get your information from, that:

- THAT IS WHY IT IS ON WOOT.

- THEY CAN'T SELL IT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE A WEBCAM!

- AND THEY GET TONS OF RETURNS ON THEM BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE IT.

Very odd post, especially in all caps, considering it does have a webcam.

dkeigley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dkeigley
mjHession wrote:Is the tattle button used for reporting spam?

Yes, I just did that myself. It's popping up on all the sites.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dkeigley wrote:Yes, I just did that myself. It's popping up on all the sites.

Thanks for the reports, everyone

I'm just hanging out, really.

skytechrep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skytechrep
MichaelSF wrote:I guess the demise of HP's "personal computing" business means that we will see a lot of HP products on Woot. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but Woot better have prices way lower than what this notebook is selling for, AND list the Touchpad for about $150, not the price Woot was selling it for.

Wondering why HP wants to dump its personal computing products business. Here's one reason:

While Best Buy took delivery of 270,000 HP TouchPads, it has sold less than 25,000 units. Best Buy is so angered by Touchpad sales it wants HP to take the unsold tablets back and issue a refund.

And apparently Walmart and Fry’s are experiencing dismal TouchPad sales.

I knew when I saw the TouchPad here something was up. WebOS is great, but no Apps. Chumby has more. Thank goodness I just bit the bullet this weekend and bought a asus ep121 . There are mad and sad Touchpad owners now. But woot should have these for $ 99 pretty soon. The new "Sony Dash".

mjHession

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mjHession

From what I have read HP is not really getting out of the tablet (or other hardware) business, they are just creating a spinoff company to take over those items. Probably some marketing attempt to have another shot at the tablet (and other hardware) world, as they have failed so greatly.

ryno920

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryno920
MichaelSF wrote:I am surprised you would say this.

Fact - All notebooks nowadays have webcams. The technology is so inexpensive (about $5 to $10 to the manufacturer) that it makes no sense to not include one.

Fact - In the pic you can see the webcam.

Fact - It says in the specs that it has an integrated webcam.

Fact - Bears eat beets.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

And the ThinkPad I just ordered doesn't have a webcam. So not all notebooks have webcams. Granted, there was the option for one, I just chose not to get it.

Also, I can't believe someone ordered three of the laptops.

ajolt151

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajolt151

I like how it's almost a complete knockoff visually of the Macbook Pro...can't they come up with an original design, or did they have to fire their creative team to save money?

Wyatt8

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Wyatt8
cheruvim wrote:This is a great deal but woot uses FedEx Home Delivery as its primary shipper. This means it would probably get cerried off by the first poooony they gave it to. The never can make sure that poooony is the recepient.

They suck, you take big risk ordering from here. Not because Woot is bad. Its FedEx that's bad.

Woot, change your shipper and I'll be a customer again.

It's not FedEx that's bad... it's that the "home delivery" is handed off to the Post Office.
That hand-off is ugly ugly ugly!
I had one post-office guy decide to take off early, so he just marked the package "bad address" and returned it.
Another just sort of ... took a vacation ... for a week or so before it showed up.
And when you contact FedEx ... they say "it's with the Post Office, now, we have no information and no control..."
When you contact the Post Office they say, "It is a FedEx package, we have no information and no control..."
Which means ... in a regular postal delivery, the delivery person knows they'll catch a problem if they 'disappear' a package ...
but with a FedEx hand-off package ... they know if that package disappears or what-ever ... it will Never come back on Them...
so... it makes for a terrible terrible shipping choice!

a perfect day to have a great day on purpose...
or because the store clerk told you to...

mkottman08

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mkottman08

What just happened? Woot taking a day off?

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3

No new woot?

www.howlingdead.com

leilana80

quality posts: 23 Private Messages leilana80

Weird!

schmaboo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schmaboo
mkottman08 wrote:What just happened? Woot taking a day off?

bwooooooooooooot

jimmythewoot

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jimmythewoot
mkottman08 wrote:What just happened? Woot taking a day off?

Earliest complete cross-Woot sell-off EVER! Oh, wait... that's all yesterday's crap. We want new crap! We want new crap!

Onomatopoeia. Get used to it.

cakellogg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cakellogg
schmaboo wrote:bwooooooooooooot

where's my woot?

jmkiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmkiii

TAKE MY MONEY!

AlienZulu

quality posts: 11 Private Messages AlienZulu

woot holiday?

qwiktune

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qwiktune

come on woot, dont leave us hanging like this!

alphanode

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alphanode

the one night i decide to checking on woot right at 1 EST... first no Bundle of Crops now this... for shame woot... for shame

Cloudscout

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Cloudscout

Well, they sent out the daily digest email so at least I know the next item is going to be a 32" Philips TV... so when are they going to post it?

sauce4u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sauce4u

Have to stay up longer now.........

peterqstorm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peterqstorm

Woot, why have you forsaken me?!?

Is it because you have defected to Amazon?

peckerwood3421

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peckerwood3421

Woot is drunk?

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3

The woot-off must've broken it.

A new definition for woot-killer

www.howlingdead.com

nursedawn

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nursedawn

I'm afraid.

jeblis

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jeblis
skywarrior3 wrote:No new woot?

Philips 32” 720p LCD HDTV
$239.99 + $5 shipping
They called him “Saucy Jack”. And there’s like a 20% chance he’ll show up while you’re watching your Philips 32” LCD TV.

carl669

quality posts: 27 Private Messages carl669

i think you have to solve the google puzzle to get the link to today's deal.

Wife: Do you really need all this junk?
Me: At least I don't ask you if it makes me look fat.
--------------------------------------

pytlikmi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pytlikmi

HP Sold their PC Division to Woot?

squirrrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squirrrl

my guess... hacked by anonymous... they must have been cheesed that they didn't get a bounty of corn

speedrobin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedrobin

Hallooooo? Anybody there? What are we waiting for? Another Bundle of Crops Just kidding, but I am tired of hitting refresh.

jysun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jysun

i stayed up till 1 to see if woot had a vacuum cleaner today! ahhh :[

Marrob

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Marrob

Oh no! They quit on us!

"HEY TWITTER, TAKE THE SO CALLED KANYE WEST TWITTER DOWN NOW .... WHY? BECAUSE MY CAPS LOCK KEY IS LOUD!!!!!!!!!" - Kanye West