jriederer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jriederer

If I don't get an email/it doesn't show up under my account at what point should I try to order another one?

cgpriest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgpriest
devexityspace wrote:Singer is the only brand of sewing machines anyone should ever even consider. It's the "Apple" of sewing machines in a sense.

This is an amazing price at $350.

I beg to differ. Buying this machine would be like buying an Apple II-e. My mom's Singer from 1967 was one thing. But today, it really depends on what you're going to be sewing. My mom and I both make quilts. She now owns a Bernina machine. I have a Pfaff. I would buy a higher-end Singer - maybe - but not this one.

tjacobs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjacobs
sdc100 wrote:The weird thing is that neither model exists on Singer's website. I wonder what that means... ? The Search function is weird in that you're not allowed to put letters in.

You have to do a search for "pefect finish combo" and they will come up.

tigriss7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tigriss7

I have some 15 antique sewing machines, 3 new ones, and one serger. I have antique Singers that are all metal gears and all, but in themid 80s they were bought out by another company that doesn't know squat about sewing. They decreased the quality of the parts, plastic now, and hiked the prices. The new Singers don't last long and many of their dealers left as they were super tired of all the repairs that cost more than a new machine. Two of my area deals stopped in late 90s. Now they sell Janome and only Janome. I have one Janome, new, and love it. It is a basic mechanical machine, but cost about the same as this package. I have 2 new Brothers, and love them both, though one was cheaper than the Janome, a basic electronic/computerized machine with loads of decorative stitiches, and the other is the larger Project Runway 420 machines. It has 200 differnt stitches and quilts like a charm. My serger is a a Singer, all metal from the early 80s when they first came out with 4 thread sergers. It works great, but is all metal.

If you are getting into sewing and don't want to dump a great deal of cash, GO FOR THIS, as the serger alone with worth the price for all that sergers do. I don't find sergers difficult to thread, you just follow the diagram and learn how to use a pair of tweezers. It will easily do cavas and denim, but don't go fast over the seams and what not. A serger cuts the fabric as it sews, so there is a learning curve. Watch the demo at HSN, as it is a good demo of what it does with great detailed explinations. Enjoy!

PICK up an extra warranty at www.squaretrade.com just in case and because it is a new Singer

wilman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wilman

I did a lot of research on sergers--I got a BabyLock off ebay. They thread themselves, which is the number one complaint about sergers. I love it, also have a Bernina for regular sewing. Both expensive, but worth it.

tjacobs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjacobs
schieff wrote:I could never get the hang of the Blind hem foot attachment. Pants take me no time to stitch up with a simple needle and thread.

For the other person looking to hem pants, here is a how to do it by hand
http://sewfordough.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/hand-sew-a-hem/

I had a hard time with the blind hem but after watching a few videos on youtube I got the hang of it.

harmonicminor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonicminor

Man, I've been wanting a sewing machine for a long time. I would TOTALLY buy this if I hadn't already spent all my money this paycheck.

TalkFast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TalkFast

Add me to the long list of folks waiting for a confirmation. I know its not a money issue, so it has to be a Woot problem. If I don't get this deal I am gonna be pissed. Guess I better not list my old Singer on eBay just yet...

jbrava

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jbrava

Is the credit card processor mad because of all the Apple jokes, or what? I'm still processing... what's up with that?

jsfb6pts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsfb6pts

I tried to order this before 8:00 am ( eastern ) .
It is not showing in my account ,I called my cc card co .they said id was not charged .
I tried to reorder woot won't let me .
Can I get one or not ?

jsfb6pts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsfb6pts
tam4g5 wrote:Anyone getting confirmation emails that your order went through? My page never loaded but it said I already purchased the item and it won't let me try again. Yet I have no confirmation email for my order I emailed service but no reply yet!

Same issue here

TheGreenHornetVsKato

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheGreenHornetVsKato

A sewing machine I LOOOOOOOVE PONIES???? Does it come with an old Jewish lady and a hand basket full of cookies??

friartek

quality posts: 15 Private Messages friartek

Woot! you have a problem, besides the CC stuff. None of the "Full Stats" have been update since before 6 A.M.. That includes shirt, kids and wine. You need to have someone check it out.

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
BOC: 4 Including the very last Woot!-off B)C. One of the lucky few.

glowgirl225

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glowgirl225
ipegot wrote:While the price is good, you've obviously never heard of Pfaff or Consew...

Or Viking, Babylock, Elna, Bernina, or Janome. Heck, even Brother machines are better than Singer (at least Brothers are made by Babylock). Not that this isn't a great deal, but don't rely on the name Singer, its quality has gone WAY downhill.

aeastey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aeastey
sdc100 wrote:The weird thing is that neither model exists on Singer's website. I wonder what that means... ? The Search function is weird in that you're not allowed to put letters in.

It is on the Singer website. http://www.singerco.com/products/2162/perfect-finish-combo

ScottRiqui

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ScottRiqui
tam4g5 wrote:Anyone getting confirmation emails that your order went through? My page never loaded but it said I already purchased the item and it won't let me try again. Yet I have no confirmation email for my order I emailed service but no reply yet!

My "Order Status" page is still at the "Should Just Be a Bit" stage after 20 minutes or so. I can't imagine the Woot! servers are being totally crushed with today's offer, so I'm not sure what's up. I don't want to miss out, but I also don't want to try to place the order again for fear of getting a second sewer/serger combo.

jpheather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpheather
pookiebaby wrote:It is better to take a few lessons first. Sergers are difficult to thread, complex, and if you don't have patience for any of it, you'll put it away in your closet and call it a bad investment. It's not a sewing machine, soomething you can use immediataely.

The key with serger threading is to tie the new color to the old and pull it through.

I have threaded my serger from scratch, but it took a couple of tries to get it right and I had to have the manual in front of me.

If I didn't already have a serger I'd pick this up, even though I already have a Janome that I love...

tigriss7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tigriss7

Just watched the video on HSN. These machines are loud and clunky. They work but they are humming like my antique machines nor my modern ones. Even the super old Singers at work sound way better than this. Those machines are industrial for all the sewing and super heavy duty material we sew, but I feel a sewing machine should hum not clunk.

Kodama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kodama

I think I've convinced myself to buy this. I've been wanting a serger for years (the best thing for this kind of sweater reconstruction http://tinyurl.com/3mvp5gd), and the sewing machine will be the perfect birthday/Christmas gift for a good friend with a broken machine. For those worried about threading the serger, the HSN page says that it has color-coded lay-in threading, which sounds like it's not too bad.

vgrechniw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vgrechniw

order has been in processing for over an hour... troubles at Woot? Don't want to lose this sewing machine deal!!!!

heysammyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heysammyk

Same customer service/pending purchase issue here too. Been an hour...

ringman57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ringman57

30 minutes for me... still waiting.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Hey folks,

I noticed there was a CS post earlier about the issues, and have pinged them for an update.

Hang in there, I'm looking into it!

I'm just hanging out, really.

sylviaindev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sylviaindev

This is the most dramatic Woot I've ever (hopefully) made! Wide, strident opinions on the quality of Singer's products; Home Shopping Network gurus dripping with praise; debating in my mind whether getting these machines will finally make me learn how to sew; finally deciding to purchase . . . and now, waiting to see if it takes!

slrosenbaum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages slrosenbaum
There are many excellent sewing machines out there, do your research, and a lot of it is like driving a car, some folks like vintage (Singer featherweight, 66, 15-91, 201,)
Some like muscle (old Brothers, Necchi Nova BU, Supernova, Pfaff 130),
Some folks like the loaded luxury (husqvarna viking *drool*)
and some just need something to drive (basic new machines.)

And then there are weirdos like me that have a collection.
If you want to sew pillows and cute tote bags now and again, maybe a quilt top, this probably will be great and have more features than you realistically will use. If you want to sew queen sized quilts and fit all that fabric/batting/backing though the middle, you probably will be frustrated as your machine scoots across the table.

I COMPLETELY agree! Singers have been good machines in the past. And yes, there are better machines out there but they are gonna cost you more money. It is definitely a personal preference. If you're a hardcore sewer, then this wouldn't be worth it for you, but if you're more of a casual sewer (like me) then this deal would be worth it. Is it a good deal for what you get based on other online sources for this same package? Absolutely.

tgvaught

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgvaught
inkycatz wrote:Hey folks,

I noticed there was a CS post earlier about the issues, and have pinged them for an update.

Hang in there, I'm looking into it!

Thanks!!! Please keep us posted....

amamar5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amamar5
sylviaindev wrote:This is the most dramatic Woot I've ever (hopefully) made! Wide, strident opinions on the quality of Singer's products; Home Shopping Network gurus dripping with praise; debating in my mind whether getting these machines will finally make me learn how to sew; finally deciding to purchase . . . and now, waiting to see if it takes!

Don't the HSN "gurus" always drip with praise?

quiltingmama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quiltingmama
devexityspace wrote:Singer is the only brand of sewing machines anyone should ever even consider. It's the "Apple" of sewing machines in a sense.

Unfortunately Singer is no longer known as the best in the sewing machine world, their machines these past many years are ok only for beginners or the occasional user.

shorrockt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shorrockt

The order processing page is hung up for me as well. Anyone know what to do to make sure your reservation isn't lost for the machine?

queenangelfish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages queenangelfish
Atashi06 wrote:If anyone only wants the sewing machine part of the Woot, I'd be interested in buying the serger off of you.

I was kind of thinking I'd like the machine, but not so inclined to own the serger. What do you think you'd pay for the serger?

joniangel23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joniangel23

It IS an amazing price, but it is not the only sewing machine to consider. My Kenmore actually has the same features but with a more powerful motor. And it retails for about the same.

queenangelfish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages queenangelfish
kellyjgilbert wrote:Lets split it... you keep the sewing machine and I'll take the serger.

Not a bad idea! How would we split it?

cteddym

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cteddym
Supersox wrote:My Singer sings "Bad Romance" by Lady GaGa

supersox, that's so cute, but mummy will get to you later, she's talking about sewing machines right now

kellum97

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellum97

My order has been "processing" for over 2 hours now, anyone had an order take that long? I don't want to click purchase again in case both orders go through but I don't want to not get the deal because I assumed everything was ok.

brandy1175

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brandy1175

Ordered this 2 hours ago and webpage still says "processing"!?!?!?! Is that normal??? First time buyer and I have no idea...

brandy1175

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brandy1175

Currently in the same boat... I have no idea what to do...

vmiller311

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vmiller311

Is it taking forever to process the order today? My order has been processing for over 30 mins. Should I just keep waiting or do I need to resubmit?

kellum97

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellum97
brandy1175 wrote:Ordered this 2 hours ago and webpage still says "processing"!?!?!?! Is that normal??? First time buyer and I have no idea...

I don't know if its "normal" but we are in the same boat LOL My previous orders haven't taken this long but I haven't had any other problems with purchasing before. Hopefully its just a little slow

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

To all members,

Inkycatz and I have notified Member Services in regards to ordering issues. Woot will try and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your order today, please write us at service@woot.com and we'll be glad to assist you.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

joniangel23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joniangel23

Has anyone gotten an order confirmation yet? I ordered mine 2 hours ago, and it's still not showing up in my account page, and hasn't been charged to my PayPal yet.